So, how ARE people finding SL?

Eva Knoller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heard at a fine dining restaurant, as the waiter addresses a gentleman during his meal:
   "How did sir find the veal?"
   "Oh, I just moved a leaf of salad - and there it was!"

I found out about SL through word of mouth, an ex wanted us to sign up, as she reckoned it would be a more visual relationship than the MSN chat and the MMORPG we were playing together. After our relationship broke down, I stuck around as I'd made a few friends and got curious about SL.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Somewhere in 2011 i tried Russian game Avatarika(the game was uckin weird, avatars looked like ghosts,chats were full of spam). Places were only clubs and gardens.Once i talked to one dude and he said that secondlife is much better and it have more freedom to move and edit avatar. I was sure  SL will be 1 day thing for me just like IMVU,Avatarika.But after i signed up as Panteleeva,i decided to explore ) 

and here s screenshot of Avatarika,lol

ss_15e9b5244095411a1a53050f2d6808c94990de18.1920x1080.jpg

• Like 11

On 2/13/2020 at 11:41 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

657f82a75e52f0f4b6fa6e7bc7feb820.png

I'm pretty sure that isn't even a SL avatar. 

Anyway, my story is pretty much the same as @Orwar; I was introduced to SL by an ex (he wasn't an ex at the time, lol). We were partnered in SL too, for a while, but broke up when we broke up in RL. He's still around somewhere, he's still on my friends list and I see him log in now and again.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

LL has almost always let the media do their advertising for them, for free.  Even negative media attention gets people to sign up, to see what all the fuss is about.

I would really like to see responses here from actual newcomers...but I doubt we will get many.  Most newbies don't even know there are Forums!

Perhaps it is time for a SL media scandal?

"Man arrested for breeding kittycats in his dungeon home in second life, hoarded cats will be taken to pound." More news at 11..

I may be late to the conversation so forgive me (I've been out of the forums for quite some time, just finding my way back in)

11 years ago, I was on a bondage website and the owner said that she was playing in SL. Decided to try it and 11 years and 7 avatars later, I'm still here. 

• Like 2

Hi all,

People ARE finding SL in Google and on affiliate websites. Linden Lab spends quite a bit of money on online advertising. Mainly in Google Search, the Google Display Network and an Affiliate Programm on www.cj.com . 

I know so, because:

1. I am one of their many affiliate publishers (next to 3dxchat which makes much me a lot more money than SL ads).
2. I used to work in sales for Google and had insight to ad accounts

Here an example of a blogpost where I run SL ads:
[NSFW] https://jessicainsecondlife.com/second-life-sex-mentoring-noob-of-the-week/

Another one without explicit adult content (scroll to end to see the advert).
https://slamedia.de/second-life-sex

Here is how the affiliate program works.
http://go.secondlife.com/landing/affiliate/?lang=en

On those those noob-stories the ads work well. That's the way I monetize my blogs.

Hereunder Example of a Google Ad, followed by my own listings in Google Search Germany. The three entries below the advert (Anzeige) are all from my blogs.

googl-ads-sl.PNG

Edited by carolinestravels
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:37 AM, Jordan Whitt said:

It's probably not.  However, I did click the link and it took me to the SL signup page.  Guess I was in a "seeing naked chicks" mood that day?

Beware of those links. I think they lead you to other things but not SL. They only pretend that you will.

Edited by Stranger Hoxley

I discovered SL in 2009 because I was watching an internet show called  Imaginary Bitches   and in episode 5, the main character, the one who developed this pair of imaginary friends who were outrageously bitchy, was fixed up with a guy who had his own imaginary life.  He was into Second Life.  I was intrigued and looked up SL, joined and immediately became addicted to it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.