New linden homes. More floor plans coming?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I tried a houseboat. I loved the inside floor plan on some of them. But I seem to have a problem with the avatar bobbing in and around as if the place is to small for the camera to stay inside with her. SO half the time I see her and the other half is just jarring between walls and the outside. Maybe there is a way to correct it?

I ended up abandoning the boathouse. COol as it was...not trees and I like a bit of lawn. So onward to trying a home. As far as I know the four options you get in the mailbox menu are the only 4 options available. While I ADORE the options outside...I really dont like the closed interiors. Im a modern gal who loves the open floorplan. Even my old 1960s house in RL has a more open floor plan. From my living room I can see my little dining room and the kitchen is open to the dining area. It makes the place seem bigger than it actually is. MY RL home is not much bigger than the new linden homes. But like I said, it FEELS bigger because the only things closed off from me are two bedrooms and the two bathrooms. I had the same camera problem only it was worse.

Im hoping someone can help me with the camera problem. Because otherwise the homes are too claustrophobic. I have a lovely house in my inventory I would love to use. But I guess I would have to buy land to do that. 

I am happy to see the new homes as it means things dont feel as clonish as they do with older homes I've tried. Hoping to see some more open floor plan options in future though. WOuld be nice to have the option to change the floor plan inside the house!  Bet no one thought of that yet! 🙂

Each theme has a couple of house designs it can rez. 4-5 I think.

Some of them are more or less open than others.

On Marketplace and elsewhere there are kits to customize them more - some of these are really good, some are not...

The mailbox/preserver all has a content kit that includes many basic tools for customizing, which those kits on Marketplace often start from, like texture maps and accents to things...

They have 4 themes right now: Houseboat, camper, traditional, and victorian. 4 more are planned that we know of thus far - but they are very good about keeping what those will be a secret.

Then you have the older linden homes that... predate mesh... and look kinda dated now... but people have had years to customize them so some folks have done great things there.

These are intended by Linden Lab as starter homes... but a lot of people are using them as 'ending homes' because... they're rather well done, there's a massive super active very friendly community, and the rest of mainland has no rules and has become a blighted mess for all but the super lucky with rare locations or highly active communities that watch for trouble and buy it out...

Because in the Linden homes if someone shows up to rez a jerk build nextdoor, the rules will take care of it... on mainland... you need to open your wallet and see if you can bribe the jerk to move on...

Basically because of the social advantages people have learned to ignore, like, or even improve around the design limits. Kind of like moving into a prefab houses neighborhood in real life because you used to live in the ghetto... your house might not be a charming historical anymore... but it also lacks bullet holes and the bloodstain under the foundation where the police killed a guy when they ran through a few years ago... (and that actually is a house some family used to live in in RL)...

So the real value of those homes... is the people around you play nicer...

Give those Bellisseria homes a try, look at what you can do to customize them, and join some Bellisseria groups... it's very easy to start to really like that place after a stint on mainland...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Yesterday I tried a houseboat. I loved the inside floor plan on some of them. But I seem to have a problem with the avatar bobbing in and around as if the place is to small for the camera to stay inside with her. SO half the time I see her and the other half is just jarring between walls and the outside. Maybe there is a way to correct it?

I ended up abandoning the boathouse. COol as it was...not trees and I like a bit of lawn. So onward to trying a home. As far as I know the four options you get in the mailbox menu are the only 4 options available. While I ADORE the options outside...I really dont like the closed interiors. Im a modern gal who loves the open floorplan. Even my old 1960s house in RL has a more open floor plan. From my living room I can see my little dining room and the kitchen is open to the dining area. It makes the place seem bigger than it actually is. MY RL home is not much bigger than the new linden homes. But like I said, it FEELS bigger because the only things closed off from me are two bedrooms and the two bathrooms. I had the same camera problem only it was worse.

Im hoping someone can help me with the camera problem. Because otherwise the homes are too claustrophobic. I have a lovely house in my inventory I would love to use. But I guess I would have to buy land to do that. 

I am happy to see the new homes as it means things dont feel as clonish as they do with older homes I've tried. Hoping to see some more open floor plan options in future though. WOuld be nice to have the option to change the floor plan inside the house!  Bet no one thought of that yet! 🙂

The Traditional houses, Houseboats, and Campers are definitely more cramped that the older Linden Homes.  The new Victorians are much roomier inside.  There are still 4 more themes coming, but we don't know what.

Review this for modifying your camera settings to make moving around inside the homes easier and make most of SL look better.
https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tenly said:

WOuld be nice to have the option to change the floor plan inside the house! 

Rez a prim and BOOM! Extra floor. Add some more prims BOOM! extra walls. That's how you change your floor plan. Bet you didn't think of that!

But I don't know why you would care, you'll be leaving SL soon anyway. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Rez a prim and BOOM! Extra floor. Add some more prims BOOM! extra walls. That's how you change your floor plan. Bet you didn't think of that!

But I don't know why you would care, you'll be leaving SL soon anyway. 

Cool, don't think anyone would have thought of that... 🙄 Now please explain how to remove, shrink etc. a LL made wall in the house seeing as your a pro at changing the set Linden Home Floor Plan.

But I know why you wouldn't care, you think the Linden Homes are the bees knees.

Edited by Drayke Newall

6 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

wow, that was hostile..

Well, after a couple of threads that read as a back-and-forth between "Virtual world X is great" and "This is bad in SL", the patiance required for very friendly replys starts to run thin for some. I can understand that, to be honest.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tenly said:

I was just noticing in the Victorian homes that there are NO camera issues. You don't jerk up and down when you walk. The moles know their business. I didn't see that jerkiness in the trailer, either. I don't know about the other homes, I didn't own any.

In fact, I was hoping the Moles could isolate this thing they achieved and standardize it and get all  house builders to do it.

Because I am SO SICK of having this bobbing up and down in certain houses. Certain house makers suffer from this throughout; others suffer from it maybe in one big room; still others lick this problem and it doesn't happen.

I'm told it has to do with the way mesh is uploaded. I'd like more detail.

Somebody said you fix this by taking off "physics shape". Aside from getting a warning error message when you do that, in fact it does NOT cure the problem, and leaves you with sinking through the floor. It is NOT a solution, even if the floor is de-linked. 

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The Traditional houses, Houseboats, and Campers are definitely more cramped that the older Linden Homes.  The new Victorians are much roomier inside.  There are still 4 more themes coming, but we don't know what.

Review this for modifying your camera settings to make moving around inside the homes easier and make most of SL look better.
https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

This does NOT repeat NOT fix the floor problem, which is not about your camera angle, but the way the mesh is created.

Because very similar houses made by two different creators let us know that one can suffer from this problem and the other doesn't. Changing my camera angle is all well and good but not when something else is causing this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This does NOT repeat NOT fix the floor problem,

what floor problem are you talking about... because most of this thread is that the OPEN floorplan is so open... sounds to me you'r on something else

Edited by Alwin Alcott

16 hours ago, Tenly said:

It's hardly an ideal solution but:

image.png.261fb181200259f7dd47113a7656fc5f.png

You may also want to reconsider your default camera position if you still use the old birdseye view one. I prefer something simialr to Jo Yardley's but Penny Patton's is also well worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.