Write Your Own SL Obituary!

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I cannot create an obituary. Cannot. I was percolating one to do, but now I cannot.

I did this week's "Drivers of SL" drive. It's a Christmas-themed, story based adventure this week and it really struck a chord with me (it was emotional) and directly linked (by accident) to this thread.

I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek parody, but let me tell you this, dear reader: Search for Drivers of SL group. Go to their HQ location (you don't have to join the group) - grab their free HUD and just follow the instructions. It's a simple little game where you drive, fly, swim, Horseback, whatever you have (or nothing at all) around the grid, following waypoints. At each way point you get the new way point. In this week's "drive" there is a story that happens in chat as you go along.

But there's more, it will automatically TP you to rez zones and will take you to places you've never seen before and so on. Any vehicle will do (or you can just walk or fly your way around.) So this week's story is akin to "A Christmas" Carol" - we all know the story, the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future visit old Scrooge.

I have no idea how they did it, but they did it, they actually make it look like and you experience the Second Life grid being shut down (missing mainland sims and all.) I kid you not. And along the process... well, I don't want to give anything away, but I found it very emotional and it felt very realistic that LL was closing shop. I thought of this thread and what ran through my mind was "They laugh now, but have no idea..." Okay, chalk it up to female emption, yeah, go ahead. But you know what? The effect is profound whether you laugh or cry or somewhere in-between.

You really should give it a go. It only take about an hour or so if you play straight through (and you can stop at any point and continue at-will.)

How do you find it? Sounds like it's an Experience? 

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How do you find it? Sounds like it's an Experience? 

Yes, it uses Experience system, but each week's HUD is new, so the Experience works only for that HUD. I'm in world and grabbing a SLURL now - will edit my comment with it :)

EDIT: My OC is updated with a SLURL :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I cannot create an obituary. Cannot. I was percolating one to do, but now I cannot.

I did this week's "Drivers of SL" drive. It's a Christmas-themed, story based adventure this week and it really struck a chord with me (it was emotional) and directly linked (by accident) to this thread.

I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek parody, but let me tell you this, dear reader: Search for Drivers of SL group. Go to their HQ location (you don't have to join the group) - grab their free HUD and just follow the instructions. It's a simple little game where you drive, fly, swim, Horseback, whatever you have (or nothing at all) around the grid, following waypoints. At each way point you get the new way point. In this week's "drive" there is a story that happens in chat as you go along.

But there's more, it will automatically TP you to rez zones and will take you to places you've never seen before and so on. Any vehicle will do (or you can just walk or fly your way around.) So this week's story is akin to "A Christmas" Carol" - we all know the story, the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future visit old Scrooge.

I have no idea how they did it, but they did it, they actually make it look like and you experience the Second Life grid being shut down (missing mainland sims and all.) I kid you not. And along the process... well, I don't want to give anything away, but I found it very emotional and it felt very realistic that LL was closing shop. I thought of this thread and what ran through my mind was "They laugh now, but have no idea..." Okay, chalk it up to female emption, yeah, go ahead. But you know what? The effect is profound whether you laugh or cry or somewhere in-between.

You really should give it a go. It only take about an hour or so if you play straight through (and you can stop at any point and continue at-will.)

EDIT: Here is the SLURL for the HUD giver - it's on top of the file cabinet you will see. there:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bruissac/107/71/36

1096607346_DriversHUDgiver_001.thumb.png.698cef62cf350bbf378f34baa9d9a052.png

Sadly it all went to pot for me. I couldn't hear the music (which might not have mattered) but then I found no watercraft rezzer at Pooley so I flew and got lost.  The HUD kept telling me to veer right and I ended up in a certain rental area.  Having then simply tpd to the required building in the region I was meant to reach, the HUD told me to start again.  So I'm evidently not fit for this kind of adventure. :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Sadly it all went to pot for me. I couldn't hear the music (which might not have mattered) but then I found no watercraft rezzer at Pooley so I flew and got lost.  The HUD kept telling me to veer right and I ended up in a certain rental area.  Having then simply tpd to the required building in the region I was meant to reach, the HUD told me to start again.  So I'm evidently not fit for this kind of adventure. :D

It sounds like you were trying to go too fast. There are free boats, cars, aircraft on mp. :)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Inflatable-Speedboat/4908986

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TMS-Electro-Induction-Flyer-boxed/703997

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/2000GTR/5421162

These will get you started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, in RL I want my tombstone to read: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

My SL death (I'm too lazy to write a fake obit, too lazy or too sober):  After trying to use an ancient landmark that was buried in my inventory, I was teleported deep underwater to the sim's 0,0,0 point. Remarkably, I was able to swim to the surface quickly enough to save myself from drowning. After lying on the wet earth, face down into the mesh sand, I regained my strength and started walking across the terrain. The sim I thought I had TP'd to was no more. This was a new place. A place to explore. Suddenly, I fell between an unseen space between two mesh boulders, and found myself once again underwater, this time trapped with no way out. Frantically I searched and cammed. Off in the distance was a building, with a chair! I clicked. I sat, and lord amighty, I was saved! Once again, when I was able, I started to explore and started to ascend a spiral staircase. I started slipping, walking into walls and railings, unable to see where I was going or which way I was turned. I was never heard from again.

Edited by Seicher Rae

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My handy dandy Latin to English translator is silent on this one.  A little help?

"I drink and I know".  For some reason Google translate can't do a decent job of "I drink and I know things".  The implication with nothing following "I know" is I know everything or at least a whole lot.

I am also the god of ***** and wine.  George RR Martin must have been thinking of me when he wrote Tyrion's character.

Today we gather to mourn Zid. 

To honor all the things he did. 

He was a friend who helped us laugh. 

His kindness was what steered his path. 

Though he at times screwed up of course

to all our lives he was a force

of good and cheer and self-love's way. 

We wish he could be here today. 

He'd want us all to smile and see

the great things he knew we could be. 

A roo glam rocker. A grateful friend. 

Though your time with us is at an end

we know you're out there in the 'verse. 

Guitar in hand you now rehearse 

with all the legends you loved the most. 

Rock on, dear friend. To you we toast. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

"I drink and I know".  For some reason Google translate can't do a decent job of "I drink and I know things".  The implication with nothing following "I know" is I know everything or at least a whole lot.

I am also the god of ***** and wine.  George RR Martin must have been thinking of me when he wrote Tyrion's character.

Or, perhaps, "In vino, ingenii!"

This may be why engineers are reputed to drink so much beer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/6/2019 at 6:37 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

You want morbid ?

I'm aware of many (including more than one high profile store owner / community figure) who stopped logging in out of the blue, vague rumors and presumptions at best. More often than not no signs of life in or out of SL, No social media. No obituary. No funerals. No closure. No one noticed. 

Hopefully they had obituary, funeral, closure, and a whole load of people notice, in Real Life.

I do recall losing a few people in Second Life, one being Osprey Therian, who I was not close to, but she had a profound effect on me, and I shall always remember her. She lives on in so many ways (I am sure in real life too).

My own obituary would simply say:

Marigold Devin. Ex ghost hunter, ghosted by many, now is a ghost. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.