Write Your Own SL Obituary!

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm feeling morbid today, so I came up with this as perhaps the first post I ever created.  Perhaps it will get some ghosts to come out of the woodwork to write an obituary for former avatars, or it could just be a fun exercise for folks to talk about their lives in SL and what they'd want to be remembered for.  Besides, reading obituaries is a sure sign we're getting old.

Tolya Ugajin, age 84, passed to his reward Friday, succumbing to his long and noble battle with sexual addiction.  This cantankerous curmudgeon had withdrawn to a hermit's life since turning 50, only occasionally venturing into public to buy adult magazines and proclaim "DOOM UPON US ALL!  THE BORG ARE NIGH!" in the public square.  He is survived by his wife, Huney, assuming she is still alive, as she has been seen even less frequently over the last 34 years.  They had no children that Mr. Ugajin was aware of.

Mr. Ugajin was best knows for his House of Ugajin library, art gallery, and den of debauchery and depravity.  Rumour has it Prok is interred there in the ruins, beneath where the pink Saint Andrews cross used to stand.  He was also known for hosting the biggest balls on SL.

Funeral arrangements have been made for next Tuesday.  He will be laid to rest in an abandoned field on Zindra.  AC/DC has been hired to play for the remembrance gathering afterwards, which will be held at the Beaux Arts Gallery, Xaara.  Guests are asked to make a donation to the Hillary For President 2020 committee.

• Haha 9

You want morbid ?

I'm aware of many (including more than one high profile store owner / community figure) who stopped logging in out of the blue, vague rumors and presumptions at best. More often than not no signs of life in or out of SL, No social media. No obituary. No funerals. No closure. No one noticed. 

• Sad 4

I'll play...

Lindal Kidd, the oldest and sole remaining Resident of Second Life, was killed yesterday, December 5, 2062 due to a mischance while exploring the caldera of the Mount G'al volcano.

"I guess we'll have to shut SL down now," said a spokesperson for Linden Lab.  "We'll miss her...but frankly, it's about time.  Most of us really just want to retire."

This reporter visited Ms. Kidd at her home, where she had been teleported after the fatal fall into molten lava.  She disputed her demise, pointing out that death in Second Life was not permanent.  "Those jerks at LL are just lazy.  I'm still here, still paying tier to keep their grid alive.  The least they could do is show a little gratitude."

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'll take anything other than "She Meant Well". 

I like Spike Milligan's request for "I told you I was ill."

There is a grave marker in the Key West Cemetery with something similar on it. I got a kick out of it when I saw it, which felt wrong. 

35C7213E-7716-4B60-91C7-C739C0C15B94.jpeg.dcbd0d87c5031f7971e6ac8ae5de92e7.jpeg

1EE8C6E7-3E62-49FF-8890-CD1F66FA9A3B.thumb.jpeg.7ecd627ba9b1ab49da5e4b18c54d60e4.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I'm feeling morbid today, so I came up with this as perhaps the first post I ever created.  Perhaps it will get some ghosts to come out of the woodwork to write an obituary for former avatars, or it could just be a fun exercise for folks to talk about their lives in SL and what they'd want to be remembered for.  Besides, reading obituaries is a sure sign we're getting old.

Tolya Ugajin, age 84, passed to his reward Friday, succumbing to his long and noble battle with sexual addiction.  This cantankerous curmudgeon had withdrawn to a hermit's life since turning 50, only occasionally venturing into public to buy adult magazines and proclaim "DOOM UPON US ALL!  THE BORG ARE NIGH!" in the public square.  He is survived by his wife, Huney, assuming she is still alive, as she has been seen even less frequently over the last 34 years.  They had no children that Mr. Ugajin was aware of.

Mr. Ugajin was best knows for his House of Ugajin library, art gallery, and den of debauchery and depravity.  Rumour has it Prok is interred there in the ruins, beneath where the pink Saint Andrews cross used to stand.  He was also known for hosting the biggest balls on SL.

Funeral arrangements have been made for next Tuesday.  He will be laid to rest in an abandoned field on Zindra.  AC/DC has been hired to play for the remembrance gathering afterwards, which will be held at the Beaux Arts Gallery, Xaara.  Guests are asked to make a donation to the Hillary For President 2020 committee.

I don't really care about an obituary, but I have wished many, many times that there was a way to commit suicide inworld. Sure, you can delete your account from a browser, but that just doesn't really do it for me. And even then, probably you can get it reactivated for some period of time or another. I wish you could leap off something or walk in front of something or take a pill or something inworld.

Is that morbid enough for you?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I don't really care about an obituary, but I have wished many, many times that there was a way to commit suicide inworld. Sure, you can delete your account from a browser, but that just doesn't really do it for me. And even then, probably you can get it reactivated for some period of time or another. I wish you could leap off something or walk in front of something or take a pill or something inworld.

Is that morbid enough for you?

Well, try this:

1:  Change your password by randomly typing gobbledysnook into the box.  Make sure the save button is off.

2:  Send a "goodbye, cruel world" notecard to everyone you know, and to every group you have posting rights to.  Immediately unfriend them all and leave the groups to avoid the "bye, Felicia" replies.

2:  Find a dolcett place (if there are any still around), and have yourself be the funeral feast for your own funeral.  I'll outmorbid anyone 😛

3:  Log off, delete all your SL file directories and browsers.

4:  It would now be far harder to recover your SL life than to create a new one, so you'd be as dead as you could get.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

ya, I already did that months ago in another post........

March 25 2016, it is a sad day for our town, county and state with the passing of Ceka Cianci this morning in our town square as she was confronting teenagers playing the game pokemon..

One witness say's,I heard her telling the teens to get off the streets and go do something with their lives..The next minute one of the teens showing them her phone and her yelling,Oh There's one!! Then grabbing the teens phone,running towards the church and then into the street light pole just in front. She just layed there with this excited look on her face,So I don't think she felt any pain..

She leaves behind Her husband and Three children, as well as a Super Premium Excalibur Account of Awesomeness Membership, which was the last one in existence,In the whole wide world. So this is truly a tragedy for all of the human race, since she passed away before being able to pass it over to another..

Friends and family will be gathering to pay their respects, this Easter Sunday,March 27 2016,from 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm at The Boots & Spurs Inn..The service will be open casket..

March 27 2016 Linchburg Times late breaking news.. Woman Rises from the dead at a Tavern holding a wake, only moments ago..

Witnesses say she stood up from the casket,stretched like she just got out of bed,Then said..That extra dollar for that Super Premium Excalibur Account of Awesomeness Membership just keeps on giving..

Hey,why is everyone laying on the floor? 0o

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gregorian Chant, age 42, reset character, went to the wrong side of the grass, is bereft of life, gave up the ghost, bit the pixel dust, le jeu est terminé.

He passed away on Groundhog Day, after a long wimpy non-battle with non-rezzing and bake fail ailments before succumbing to the Perma-Ruthed state.

He was a kid from Meadowbrook who grew up to live the Bellisserian Dream of home ownership on the waterfront and five demanding high-maintenance cats.  His passions included Gothic horror novels, MMORPGs, and making his cousins uncomfortable with his awkwardness. He also really loved cheese.

Greg leaves behind a helluva lot of stuff that his family doesn't know what to do with. So, if you are looking for a rare skybox gacha now would be the time to call dibs.  

In lieu of prim flowers, donations may be made to the Salty Sailors swear jar relief fund.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

KT, that is both true, and the saddest obituary/tombstone marker ever.  Every time I visit a graveyard, I look at the markers and realize that I, and most everyone else in the world, does not know these people, never did, never can.  And yet each of them was a whole self-contained universe of thoughts, dreams, desires...just as I am, and just as you are.

I'm going to go have a good cry now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

KT, that is both true, and the saddest obituary/tombstone marker ever.  Every time I visit a graveyard, I look at the markers and realize that I, and most everyone else in the world, does not know these people, never did, never can.  And yet each of them was a whole self-contained universe of thoughts, dreams, desires...just as I am, and just as you are.

I'm going to go have a good cry now.

I'm sorry my post affected you like that. It was meant to be a lighthearted acceptance of the reality of my place in the whole scheme of things and of my place in the whole scheme of Second Life.

Just because someone doesn't make a publicly acknowledged mark on whatever universe you care to use as a measure, really doesn't mean they were nothing at all.

I'm conceited enough to believe that my death will sadden quite a few people in real life, but I really wouldn't want it to sadden anyone too much. As far as SL goes, I very much doubt anyone will notice (except perhaps LL's billing section when they start to wonder why my subscription payments are being refused), and that's pretty much how I want it to be.

• Like 3

On December 6, 2019 at 7:15 PM, CaerolleClaudel said:

Or walk in front of something 

I once ran into someone while trying to take off in an airplane. The plane pushed him along, I ran off the runway and into a wall, he got stuck between the plane's propeller and the wall. It would have been horribly gruesome if it happened in RL, but he was fine. 

• Like 2

I cannot create an obituary. Cannot. I was percolating one to do, but now I cannot.

I did this week's "Drivers of SL" drive. It's a Christmas-themed, story based adventure this week and it really struck a chord with me (it was emotional) and directly linked (by accident) to this thread.

I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek parody, but let me tell you this, dear reader: Search for Drivers of SL group. Go to their HQ location (you don't have to join the group) - grab their free HUD and just follow the instructions. It's a simple little game where you drive, fly, swim, Horseback, whatever you have (or nothing at all) around the grid, following waypoints. At each way point you get the new way point. In this week's "drive" there is a story that happens in chat as you go along.

But there's more, it will automatically TP you to rez zones and will take you to places you've never seen before and so on. Any vehicle will do (or you can just walk or fly your way around.) So this week's story is akin to "A Christmas" Carol" - we all know the story, the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future visit old Scrooge.

I have no idea how they did it, but they did it, they actually make it look like and you experience the Second Life grid being shut down (missing mainland sims and all.) I kid you not. And along the process... well, I don't want to give anything away, but I found it very emotional and it felt very realistic that LL was closing shop. I thought of this thread and what ran through my mind was "They laugh now, but have no idea..." Okay, chalk it up to female emotion, yeah, go ahead. But you know what? The effect is profound whether you laugh or cry or somewhere in-between.

You really should give it a go. It only take about an hour or so if you play straight through (and you can stop at any point and continue at-will.)

EDIT: Here is the SLURL for the HUD giver - it's on top of the file cabinet you will see. there:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bruissac/107/71/36

1096607346_DriversHUDgiver_001.thumb.png.698cef62cf350bbf378f34baa9d9a052.png

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.