You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The fans were contributing by paying for rentals. LL said because nonprofit, rentals are no longer allowed. Without the income from the rentals, the nonprofit can't afford to keep the sims regions open. Depending on donations is folly. It is rare that enough donations are pulled in to 'save' a region and keep it up and running. 

Donations aren't folly if they're in the form of a subscription.  I know of one estate that (I believe) relies on just such a thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Mainland has many empty regions just laying about there as useless as ever. Only with a few residing there, paying an inch of amount of tier, while the rest of the land is just barren and unused since ages.

These servers run anyway and LL is not reeling in money there like they should. This region can easily be sustained like that for preservation.

I don' t expect LL to give them an financial break, but at least upto now they could break even. Now they can' t.

Every region in SL is a work of art that demands to be imortalised, rent free. But if we start on this road I think we should start by saving my own region :)

But it won't happen and I don't see Linden Lab opening such a dangerous can of favoritism.

26 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Donations aren't folly if they're in the form of a subscription.  I know of one estate that (I believe) relies on just such a thing.

I said depending on donations is folly, not the donations themselves.  Donations are never a dependable income stream as they can fluctuate wildly. One month you get thousands donated, next month, not a single penny.

A sporadic income is never dependable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I said depending on donations is folly, not the donations themselves.  Donations are never a dependable income stream as they can fluctuate wildly. One month you get thousands donated, next month, not a single penny.

Oh good grief, I can't be bothered arguing about words.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The pleasure of running your own business.

• Haha 1

Deleting my post? Okay, let me put it in a more pg friendly tone.

I could easily host 4-8 full sims on a $100 server rack from OVH, when you guys charge 900-1900% more than that.

HL is not under any circumstance a "for profit" landmass, it's simply isn't. Collecting donations is not illegal in non profit regards.

Just reinstate the Non profit status already, this isn't cool guys. This place is a cornerstone of the community as a whole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If any sim within secondlife is worth such an exception it would have to be Hangars. Many countless times it has been the sole reason for myself to continue logging in; it is one of the very few sims that still instil a sense of wanderlust, a unique gem in a sea of so much...well if you've played secondlife before, you should know.

As Lawrence mentioned before, it's such a work of love and labour where each piece of it is in essence, handmade. It goes far beyond than just the build, the music and the whole atmosphere of the place all work to captivate you. If anything within this silly game is worthy of considered being art, I feel as though Hangars is.

I logged in here to add my two cents to this discussion hoping with some luck that it'll land on LL's ears.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

Yes it is, if you have a minimal knowledge of what art is. If you don't, of course that's your answer and you don't need to further reply.

But it's not if you have a minimal knowledge of what education is.

I'm not actually making that assertion; it may be true or not and I think I could defend either stance in a debate.

Rather I'm demonstrating how far out on a tangent this exercise in semantic hairsplitting takes the thread.

Such a beautiful work of art, please don't let it go. Creativity is but a smudge of the remnants of humanity's afterbirth from eons of evolution... Please don't let this lack of funds from the mundane cubed world of business erase part of the stains of our testament to progression..

• Like 2

Insilico was preserved, Chouchou was given a similar opportunity. There is precedent that virtual places can be considered pieces of art and a valuable part of SL and there is even a process in place for their preservation.

I call for the inclusion of Hangars Liquides regions into the Second Life Region Preservation Society in virtue not only of its still standing place as the longest running and largest cyberpunk city on the grid, but also of its sheer beauty and complexity. After over a year of visiting the place everyday I keep finding new secret spots, new and magnificent views like you could never find anywhere else in SL, built from pieces created exclusively to form part of it. The extension and layering of the city is such that after all this time I still get lost in it, which is by far more of an adventure than the inconvenience it could be in real life.

Hangars Liquides is more than a place where you can role play and marvel at the striking aesthetics, it tells a cautionary tale, as is the purpose of Cyberpunk, it is a critique of our society and the dangers of runaway technological development and corporate power that could overweight our basic rights, all with its own personal touch.

• Like 4

Hangars Liquides should be preserved! There have been times I signed on solely to explore HL! There's so much to see, all the locations, the apartments are so nice, the gallery is informative and important artwork, the place where you can relax and sit while the chairs rotate is very chill! I love the beach house, that's my favorite part of the sim to be honest because it's so relaxing. But really, every where of that sim has awesome architecture and design. This isn't some sim that was thrown together with a bunch of other creators' products. This is seriously art. It shouldn't be debated whether it's art or not, whether it's worthy or not. HL a huge work of art that's clearly appreciated by many people. It's obviously not easy or quick to make 3d art and all these designs Djehan spent all her time on. This sim shouldn't be gone just like that! it's been on SL for so long and has a legit a community. Linden Labs, allow people to rent apartments so this sim stays up. PLEASE! Even just walking around is a great experience. I've met a few great people at HL as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Hangar Liquides a lot two years ago. it was 2017, I always loved scifi and started discovering some of the incredible sci-fi sims of Second Life. I knew Lawrence and the creator personally, and was amazed by how she really loved her creation. It was an amazing thing to be able to just go along those roads and see the magic of that sim. Every place was huge, full of details, and every day I just went around and found totally different areas. Everything there have a reason, Hangar was built with magic from someone that know about art like almost no one knows in Second Life.

Such piece of art can't basically go to crap, can't be destroyed because of petty interests. Linden Labs receive a ton of money for us, and so they should at least make reasonable rules for great places, permit the rents that can go to keep the sim, and make viable for great sims such as HL to survive. It's already a cultural patrimony of Second Life... We preserve in real life the important historical monuments, so why not Hangar Liquides?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emanuelle Hultcrantz said:

I have been to Hangar Liquides a lot two years ago. it was 2017, I always loved scifi and started discovering some of the incredible sci-fi sims of Second Life. I knew Lawrence and the creator personally, and was amazed by how she really loved her creation. It was an amazing thing to be able to just go along those roads and see the magic of that sim. Every place was huge, full of details, and every day I just went around and found totally different areas. Everything there have a reason, Hangar was built with magic from someone that know about art like almost no one knows in Second Life.

Such piece of art can't basically go to crap, can't be destroyed because of petty interests. Linden Labs receive a ton of money for us, and so they should at least make reasonable rules for great places, permit the rents that can go to keep the sim, and make viable for great sims such as HL to survive. It's already a cultural patrimony of Second Life... We preserve in real life the important historical monuments, so why not Hangar Liquides?

I miss those times, my friend. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

you don't need to further reply.

as far i know i don't need to do that anyway, because it's a statement, no discussionpoint. Same as yours is, the point of view won't change even if we would write 50 pages full of ye and no.

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

as far i know i don't need to do that anyway, because it's a statement, no discussionpoint. Same as yours is, the point of view won't change even if we would write 50 pages full of ye and no.

Then I' d like to thank you for the points you made and I hope you can let this thread remain a plead for preservation instead of a discussion about it' s viability.

One way or the other I find this sim should be preserved. We cannot force LL to change their general policies just like that, but I can sure as hell remind them of their heritage that has the possibility to remain preserved instead of just handing it over to sheer oblivion.

• Thanks 1

It would be a win-win if Linden Lab could preserve and promote the finest examples of what's possible in SL.

HL is incredible. Not only for the art and the awe inspiring complex and grandiose city, but even on a tech stand point and how it's built: just the ingenious room on the ground level, with its amazing reflections inspired Loki Eliot the past year, when he made his amazing Mirror, and it's a place that I use to point out to show what SL can be (as long as you have advanced lighting enabled).

Hagar Liquides can be found under the Sci-Fi category of the Destiantion Guide, but the place could go under Cyber too and other categories. However, not everyone knows about the guide, and not everyone knows about those wondrous places.

Moreover, HL is not yet another nice place, it's really an example to point at when you would like to show what it's possible in SL. I know there are the Editor's picks, but those are temporary. I wish Linden Lab could make a "best of SL" category too. Or a 7 wonders committee that could work on promoting the best of SL in this and other ways too. Make big signs inworld featuring these wonders of SL, make tours, whatever. These things should be shown and promoted, as well as shown to who enters in Second Life for the very first time. Let everyone know better about what SL is and what could be done and made here.

Edited by SueWorthly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TDD123 said:

I hope you can let this thread remain a plead for preservation instead of a discussion about it' s viability.

why? you prefer a dictatorship about forumcontents? Only agree is allowed?.. gets fun here... not allowed to post in GD, not in Homes... whats next?

For me and a majority of SL it won't make one second difference if this place is around or not. If a owner can't pay for it, and others don't step in (with substantial help.. not a  5 L$ donation once in 14 years) it can go offline.. pitty but thats how it is.
And i seen NOBODY here yet that said : here you have the tiers for a year, only  ahhh's and ohhh's

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.