You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Keeping a private sim running is $225/month. Set up a Patreon page? Do a fundraiser? Apply to any of the world's countless art foundations for a grant? Why should the burden of maintenance be shifted to LL? Do you think they run their servers on smiles and laughter? If you want what you consider art around you, put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There's a very substantial contribution by the Lab to ongoing arts projects in Second Life.

Note "ongoing". LEA, for example: a gallery of ever-fresh regions promoting new art work in SL.

That's in contrast to "museum exhibit" sims like INSILICO and Svarga, mentioned above, that I gather have been preserved or resurrected.

It's not that every LEA region succeeds: With new art, as they say of advertising, "half the money I spend is wasted; the trouble is I can't tell which half."

If I were managing the Lab's budget, I'd preserve only a very few museum pieces and instead use the money to exhibit new art, especially by artists who haven't exhibited before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Keeping a private sim running is $225/month. ? If you want what you consider art around you, put your money where your mouth is.

If that is all that' s needed ... Now that will have to be negotiated between me and it' s creator. Whom I have barely met.

Give it time.

Edited by TDD123

2 hours ago, SueWorthly said:

It would be a win-win if Linden Lab could preserve and promote the finest examples of what's possible in SL.

HL is incredible. Not only for the art and the awe inspiring complex and grandiose city, but even on a tech stand point and how it's built: just the ingenious room on the ground level, with its amazing reflections inspired Loki Eliot the past year, when he made his amazing Mirror, and it's a place that I use to point out to show what SL can be (as long as you have advanced lighting enabled).

Hagar Liquides can be found under the Sci-Fi category of the Destiantion Guide, but the place could go under Cyber too and other categories. However, not everyone knows about the guide, and not everyone knows about those wondrous places.

Moreover, HL is not yet another nice place, it's really an example to point at when you would like to show what it's possible in SL. I know there are the Editor's picks, but those are temporary. I wish Linden Lab could make a "best of SL" category too. Or a 7 wonders committee that could work on promoting the best of SL in this and other ways too. Make big signs inworld featuring these wonders of SL, make tours, whatever. These things should be shown and promoted, as well as shown to who enters in Second Life for the very first time. Let everyone know better about what SL is and what could be done and made here.

so very beautifully said

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

If that is all that' s needed ... Now that will have to be negotiated between me and it' s creator. Whom I have barely met.

Give it time.

Sorry, it's $229, not $225.

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ahem, that's per region mind.

So 229*5=1145 plus any potential taxes/additional fees.

ehm.. as far i understand in this thread, the sim(s) are holded  in name of a educational program, so they pay only 50% of the the full price since start. Thats why they are in trouble, all the time they had renters (=not allowed) now seems after some kind or warning they are in trouble after letting the rentals go away

The information available (between the linked blog post and this thread) states that they were told they could not have renters and enjoy the discounted rate for educational or non-profit entities.

In short, a choice has to be made: Keep rentals and pay full price (see above for the cost) or remove all rentals (and potentially shops set up by renters - there were a few I spotted on visiting) and be able to pay the reduced prices.

Edit: Looking it up and doing the math, even if they do take the discount qualifying road that is still not all that cheap at 114.50 a region. So 114.50 multiplied by five regions comes out to 572.50 plus any applicable fees/taxes.

Edited by Solar Legion

I am appalled to hear that Hangar's Liquides should not continue to exist. The Wonderful Future City is a great digital art project in which the lifeblood of an artist was brought to life. "It has to be saved". If Linden Lab does not want to save HL, then we have to do it ourselves. How can we get the fans of HL together and find a new concept to finance this. I would donate 5000 linden a month for HL to live on. Are there any more fans who would do this? Who participates and helps? If anyone is interested in helping, then contact Djehan Kidd or write a message to Vampirella Nightfire. I hope for positive answers ♥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what I remember from the other recent thread about a similar request (preservation of another iconic region), the region owner needs to contact LL about their regions being considered for the region preservation society. I couldn't tell from the posts here whether the owner was interested in that being done or if the owner had already contacted LL to find out if these regions would qualify for that program. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Why not just find out if the owner of the regions has a PayPal or similar account and donate the cost of those Linden Dollars directly?

Solar, it makes no sense if I transfer 5000 and no one else. There have to be more organized donors and i have contact to the owner. It is not difficult to transfer money, but the logistics behind it, which makes sense and there are enough donors, that it also works must be clarified. Pointless transfer and hope that it is enough brings nothing. That's a matter of years, which needs a solid strain of spenders

Edited by Vampirella Nightfire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Edit: Looking it up and doing the math, even if they do take the discount qualifying road that is still not all that cheap at 114.50 a region. So 114.50 multiplied by five regions comes out to 572.50 plus any applicable fees/taxes.

Thanks for that info.

Time to look up the creator in her sim and negotiate the length I can financially support the sim. I cannot save it ; told her that as well.

I' m good for half of those costs next month and perhaps after those if enough can be raised to keep the sim up. I can help extend the sim for sure for another month.

HL_021.png

HL_022.thumb.png.e5cbb0b9047f0d4b374d2f9fa84addf4.png

We' ll see from there.

Edited by TDD123

58 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

From what I remember from the other recent thread about a similar request (preservation of another iconic region), the region owner needs to contact LL about their regions being considered for the region preservation society. I couldn't tell from the posts here whether the owner was interested in that being done or if the owner had already contacted LL to find out if these regions would qualify for that program. 

I'm not representing the owner, but as far as I gathered info, she will do such as you suggested if the sim can no longer be sustained.

Which is why others started rallying for her to possibly turn the tide. I know those chances are slim, just as slim as the chance for preservation is.

But here' s hoping.

I'm not sure what's the point of this thread. LL should change  ToS so non-profit sims can still do rentals and maintain the self-cost? LL should pay for HL because "it's piece of history" and "used to promote SL"? Many things are history, many are used to promoted? So LL should just suddenly set the cost of"important" sims to 0. Right, I can see how LL would create this precedent just so everyone  can start demanding free sim.

And after seeing the coke fueled rage in the  HL group chat and the amount of toxicity spewed by the creator - no thank you. 

Oh, and her ego seems to be way over inflated.Need to get off that high horse.

Edited by H8
  • Like 5

I have just read this forum and I have read some very strong remarks made on both ends of the spectrum on what is art and why or why not HL should remain or not. 
  I smile knowing that good art will open up a conversation much like I am reading. There is some art that I do not enjoy as much as others although I still have respect for both as art is to challenge your mind. Djehan Kidd has made a masterpiece in my mind blending not only very creative original visual art but also original musical art into one place. I also move that HL should be highly considered for preservation for the reason I have stated along with knowing that SL has benefited by HL as a marketing tool in not only USA Today but also Oprah Winfrey, to name a couple. SL has been payed by Djehan Kidd's countless hours of work to bring something unique into SL. Something so unique that it inspires strong opinions, as true art does... Just ask Banksy :P
  If HL is to close by close minded people who do not see the value of preserving it even for the sake of there own self interests and benefit,  I know Djehan Kidd will move along somewhere else as art is in her blood.... I will also move along to other platforms to start seeing the other artists that are not as fortunate to pay a high monetary cost of SL. It is disgusting that SL benefits from the countless hours of this artist and also expects for her to pay for it... payment is made by every single person that has visited HL, the ones that have joined this world after seeing all the free publicity of the outside media. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Purpose. Go find it elsewhere instead of spewing spite.

lmao. This is funny considering the creator can't stop calling people "fu...s" and "cu...s", calling LL fascists, nazis, communists....you can't be those two things at the same time. Yeah I can see who is being spiteful.

Gotta say, the entire group chat is a gold mine of astonishing stupidity and ignorance of how real world and laws work.  I see no reason why LL  should save this place, it's not more important than other places and after LL getting such  treatment...

Seriously, if you are mentality unstable don't do drugs, and if you do, get off the interwebz before you become a meme. I legit started to feel bad after reading so much non sense :)

Edited by H8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.