basic members got what they wanted...how about us premium members???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i just needed a place to vent how im feeling about the new lindens rulings. im sure after reading this others will agree with me as well... the basic members made it quite clear that they wanted to keep the number of the group members the same.. as LL wanted to decrease them. well, they got what they wanted..there will be no change with that. so what about us premium members..we pay rl money & we are only asking to give us 200L more stipends for the 27$ more that we must pay for if we want to stay premium members....why cant we get what we want ..u listened to the basic members...why dont you listen to your most valued members?????

im hoping others will state their feelings about that here too

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why not just read the dozen other threads about the exact same thing? You might be surprised to find out that what basics didn't get to keep were the same number of offlines. Those did get reduced. There are other things you might find surprising, if you'd at least skim those threads.

• Like 3

yes i know that basic members didnt get "everything they wanted" ..but they did get to keep the same number of groups to stay the same....so why cant we be given something that we are asking for & thats an increase in stipends to 500L ..i actually did some math...at 72 dollars for annual premium & 300L stipends gives us 14,400L total for a year....with the new increase to 99 dollars for annual premium gives us the same amount of Lindens total for a year which is 14,400L....but if i were to go back to basic ..i could spend that 99 dollars on lindens & receive 25,100Ls ...now if the stipends were increased to 500Ls weekly for the same 99 dollars....members would be receiving 24,000L total amount yearly which is pretty darn close to what id be getting if i spent the 99 dollars on lindens...so that makes me think...do i keep my premium membership & eventually pay 99 dollars yearly or go back to basic & use the 99 dollars to purchase my lindens???? but if they increased it to 500L ..i wouldnt have to be considering about going back to basic membership ....  makes sense right??

Edited by Brooke323
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brooke323 said:

i could spend that 99 dollars on lindens & receive 25,100Ls

Congrats. Finally someone made the calculation...
As a very few of us already have pointed out, its possible to survive without premium, or its not even necessary at all. Think about, if you really need at least one of the "benefits" of being premium soooo bad.

-Do you really need a linden home, even if you get one of the new ones?
For the same money you pay monthly for premium, you also can get a 4.000 sqm homestead parcel, instead of just 1.000 sqm. Prim amount of 351 would stay the same.

-How often do you go to premium areas/sandboxes? Is it worth it?

-Are the premium gifts in any way better than the things from the marketplace you could buy with the money you would have left by not being premium?

-How often do you have the need to use the live chat?
Other sources for help would be the forum, groups, your landlord, and finally just opening a ticket.

-It has to be mainland where your home is located at? There is a whole other world next to mainland, called private regions and homesteads. Often comes with less anarchy.

Dont take my lines as a judgement over being or not being premium. I just see the rants about every day, and it makes me wonder, why so many people seem to need to be premium.

• Like 4

an Experience Key is worth $US99 a year to me on its own

I like the rebate (tier allowance and stipend) as well, as I prefer mainland over estate land. Tier and L$ I would have had to purchase extra on top of buying a Experience Key, were the premium package not available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Congrats. Finally someone made the calculation...
As a very few of us already have pointed out, its possible to survive without premium, or its not even necessary at all. Think about, if you really need at least one of the "benefits" of being premium soooo bad.

-Do you really need a linden home, even if you get one of the new ones?
For the same money you pay monthly for premium, you also can get a 4.000 sqm homestead parcel, instead of just 1.000 sqm. Prim amount of 351 would stay the same.

-How often do you go to premium areas/sandboxes? Is it worth it?

-Are the premium gifts in any way better than the things from the marketplace you could buy with the money you would have left by not being premium?

-How often do you have the need to use the live chat?
Other sources for help would be the forum, groups, your landlord, and finally just opening a ticket.

-It has to be mainland where your home is located at? There is a whole other world next to mainland, called private regions and homesteads. Often comes with less anarchy.

Dont take my lines as a judgement over being or not being premium. I just see the rants about every day, and it makes me wonder, why so many people seem to need to be premium.

All the more reasons in my opinion to keep making premium more interesting.

Premium brings up a little more money to Linden Lab. But there is always "that guy" pointing out that it's more profitable (and sometimes they even say it's deserved) to try to "shaft" the company who runs the service we all depend on.

Unfortunately LL olst many good opportunities to gate new features to premium accounts and now removing them after giving them for what, a decade, is going to cause an outrage.

Out of the top of my head, things that could have been premium perks (but are never going to be):

• Mesh upload (hell it would have helped the DMCA process a little)
  • Marketplace sales (someone else suggested this, another good thing to make merchants more accountable?)
  • Voice chat (but who uses voice nowadays when everyone is humping Discord, the company with no business model)
  • Event submission (could even cut down a lot of that event spam, I don't know.)
Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 2

I am a premium member and have been for a while now. In my personal opinion it is worth it but not just because of the benefits i get but i also like to support the company that has given me a lot of benefits that can not be put on a list of perks. These perks include: Helped me get through a very rough time in life, meeting people from all over the world, being able to express my creativity in a big number of ways. Such as performing and creating. Helping me enhance my language skills and in general bringing a lot of joy to my life. Yes, all these things can be done without being premium but i like to support a company that put in effort to make my life a whole lot better. In this day and age it is all about "what do i get for my money and i am owed this or that if i pay". I look at it from the perspective of sustaining a service that brings joy to me on a daily basis. I pay them and they provide me with a big part of my life. That makes it worth being premium to me. If they get a good base line turnover, they keep SL running and that is all i expect them to do. So go ahead and tell me 1000 times that premium doesn't give you your money's worth, i will tell you that there are loads more than me who feel the same way about SL and gladly pay the fee.

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I am a premium member and have been for a while now. In my personal opinion it is worth it but not just because of the benefits i get but i also like to support the company that has given me a lot of benefits that can not be put on a list of perks. These perks include: Helped me get through a very rough time in life, meeting people from all over the world, being able to express my creativity in a big number of ways. Such as performing and creating. Helping me enhance my language skills and in general bringing a lot of joy to my life. Yes, all these things can be done without being premium but i like to support a company that put in effort to make my life a whole lot better. In this day and age it is all about "what do i get for my money and i am owed this or that if i pay". I look at it from the perspective of sustaining a service that brings joy to me on a daily basis. I pay them and they provide me with a big part of my life. That makes it worth being premium to me. If they get a good base line turnover, they keep SL running and that is all i expect them to do. So go ahead and tell me 1000 times that premium doesn't give you your money's worth, i will tell you that there are loads more than me who feel the same way about SL and gladly pay the fee.

This,  so much this!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I look at it from the perspective of sustaining a service that brings joy to me on a daily basis. I pay them and they provide me with a big part of my life. That makes it worth being premium to me. If they get a good base line turnover, they keep SL running and that is all i expect them to do. So go ahead and tell me 1000 times that premium doesn't give you your money's worth, i will tell you that there are loads more than me who feel the same way about SL and gladly pay the fee.

That's such a lovely way to put it Jules. Wishing you much continued joy :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

for some people a month is 4 weeks ... like banks put all on 30 days..

My bank uses true months -- my checking bank and my mortgage bank.

In any case, since the stipend is paid weekly and the Premium fee is only once per "calendar" year, any stipend calculations need to be based on the true number of weeks in a calendar year, not a general rounded month.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
an extra word slipped in there.
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My bank uses true months -- my checking bank and my mortgage bank.

most banks don't, it would mean your mortgage fees are variable, but we have 6 long months and 6 shorts, februari even missing more.....  rates and fees are mostly equally spreaded over the year, all months taken as the same length,  with variable true months it wouldnt be

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brooke323 said:

im hoping others will state their feelings about that here too

In my opinion, given that the Premium cost has NEVER increased and yet over the years we have gained all of the below items, I don't have a problem with the fee increase and do not think that we need additional stipends to offset it.

- Increased LI (175 per 512 rather than 117)
- Increase tier allotment (1024 rather than 512)
- Increased groups (70 now vs something like 15 or 20 when I got here - and it was lower before that even)
- Priority entry into full events
- Linden Homes (which didn't even exist when I started and are now getting newer versions rolled out)
- Increased limit on missed IMs when offline

Given that Premium membership was introduced before I got here in early 2007, there are probably other things that have been gained over the years that I didn't list.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

yes i know that basic members didnt get "everything they wanted" ..but they did get to keep the same number of groups to stay the same....so why cant we be given something that we are asking for & thats an increase in stipends to 500L ..i actually did some math...at 72 dollars for annual premium & 300L stipends gives us 14,400L total for a year....with the new increase to 99 dollars for annual premium gives us the same amount of Lindens total for a year which is 14,400L....but if i were to go back to basic ..i could spend that 99 dollars on lindens & receive 25,100Ls ...now if the stipends were increased to 500Ls weekly for the same 99 dollars....members would be receiving 24,000L total amount yearly which is pretty darn close to what id be getting if i spent the 99 dollars on lindens...so that makes me think...do i keep my premium membership & eventually pay 99 dollars yearly or go back to basic & use the 99 dollars to purchase my lindens???? but if they increased it to 500L ..i wouldnt have to be considering about going back to basic membership ....  makes sense right??

Please don't say "we" as if all premium members want an increase in the stipend. I, in fact, do not. 

For 27 cents a day ($99/365), I get access to this incredible world where magic happens. I've formed friendships, fallen in love (more than once even!), I look like a goddess, I have a awesome houseboat with fabulous decor, I don't have two left feet when I dance, I can dye my hair and grow it out multiple times a day, I can have all the pets I want without vet bills, I can literally be anything I want to be, and million other things... and on top of that I get L$300 a week and access to events without having to wait for the crowds to die down! Other things as well! 

Yes, I buy a lot of lindens, too. A couple hundred thousand a year at least. The majority of those lindens go to the creators, though, and not into LL's pockets. 

I kinda want the Lindens and Moles to be able to put food on their tables and have roofs over their heads, and clothes on their backs. I want them to keep the servers up and running and silly little things like that. 

27 cents a day is an insane freaking bargain for what we get. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fox Wijaya said:

most banks don't, it would mean your mortgage fees are variable, but we have 6 long months and 6 shorts, februari even missing more.....  rates and fees are mostly equally spreaded over the year, all months taken as the same length,  with variable true months it wouldnt be

It depends on the type of loan more than it does the bank..With a fixed rate it's the span of the mortgage..

your payment gets figured out with the interest over the span of 360 month and put on a specific day of the month. So you're not really over paying with a fixed rate.

Variable interest rate is going to change over the time of the loan and they may bounce that payment day around some,I don't know..I never had one of those..

I just know even if they did lay it out on an every 30 day schedule,it's still gonna change over the time of the loan because of the changing interest rates no matter what,up or down..

I just finished buying another house just this past week. I'll tell ya what,We're not getting a third one..Way too much paperwork and so time consuming hehehehe

Because premiums are getting increases in groups and offlines while basics are getting reductions or nothing. LL had its reasons for reducing stipends from 500Ls to begin with back in the early days.

I had to go back to basic over 10 years ago and haven't been able to afford premium since no matter how bad I want it. Sorry. I have no sympathy for someone who can afford it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.