Get More Space in home

batshitcrazy2019

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, bat*****crazy2019 said:

We've literally only got half our home decorated  and with furniture and can not place anything else due to parcel full????? we don't understand its not full our house is half empty. is this a glitch? can it be fixed???

Did you check to see how much land impact you have left in about land.  Maybe you have used you 351 allotted land impact.  Might check how prim heavy some of your furniture is and start weeding out the items that are prim heavy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cougar Sangria said:

Did you check to see how much land impact you have left in about land.  Maybe you have used you 351 allotted land impact.  Might check how prim heavy some of your furniture is and start weeding out the items that are prim heavy.

^^ This.

If you're still supposed to have prim left, then you should be able to rez more stuffz... unless of course the object you're trying to rez exceeds the prim left.

• Like 1

Every 1024sqm home parcel on Bellisseria has a generous 351 prims to decorate with. you should look at just how many prims/Li your furniture and decor items are taking up and see what you need to replace it's not hard to find low Li items. on my mainland 1024sqm i have used around 1/3 of my prims on a skybox and furnishings with Li to spare so it is more than easy to fully kit out a Bellisseria home. Some Li can be shaved off your total usage by linking mesh items together sometimes pieces are technically 0.5 or 1/2 a LI value. you may wish to go to a sandbox and test this out as sometimes Li can go up slightly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bat*****crazy2019 said:

We've literally only got half our home decorated  and with furniture and can not place anything else due to parcel full????? we don't understand its not full our house is half empty. is this a glitch? can it be fixed??? 

We seem to have same "glitch". Called prim anxiety.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cougar Sangria said:

^ This.

Also if you're not familiar with this, check Object Owners under the About Land > Objects tab.

prims.png.193750d516e5db73b6d0cda26351fd45.png

If your land is open access maybe someone else has rezzed items on your land, or in the sky, so you can't see them. If they have, click their name on the list and select Return Objects. Sorry if you knew this but maybe someone reading this didn't? Anyway, good luck! :D 

Edited by RaeLeeH
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bat*****crazy2019 said:

Some VERY popular designers are currently making VERY heavy mesh items (also with many large textures but that's another story). 

As many folks have found you need to balance THOSE "primmy" items with low prim (and still very good if made correctly) furniture and decor.   351 prims is A LOT.

I still have 24 left and have added --- carport, sheltered patio, front porch with "widows walk" balcony, greenhouse, guest cottage and tons of furniture an clutter.  Feel free to visit. I am at Heathstone on the beach and the only "moss green" house there with TONS of stuff in the yard and a big garden LOL. Difficult to overlook. 

So as folks have said -- or at least hinted, you need to start shopping more wisely.  We all had to learn that (or we have the same problem you have). But looking at the other photos of what people have accomplished with those 351 land impact points --- a LOT of folks really figured it out. 

You can to!

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

... 351 prims is A LOT.

That is true!  A friend of mine do have a stunning Linden home.  He invited me to see his home for a tour.  Fully decorated (mostly with Fancy decor items and few others.)  They looked like very expensive and quite primmy lookin' but it's not!   He has only 6 prims left!  351 prims is PLENTY!   When I saw his home... I ran to SL page and press F5 nonstop since almost 2 weeks.  One of my fingers is turning a muscle!

Edited by Xia Xevious
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

So as folks have said -- or at least hinted, you need to start shopping more wisely.  We all had to learn that (or we have the same problem you have). But looking at the other photos of what people have accomplished with those 351 land impact points --- a LOT of folks really figured it out. 

Also, it helps to link stuff together (usually with scripts taken out, just for decoration). And what tends to work miracles, almost, is often to set the physics shape of entire objects to 'None'. For instance, you could have a kitchen block that's having a rather hefty LI. You could then add 2 (invisible) flat prims to it, say, 1 for top, and 1 for front, to create a 'faux' collision, and then set the entire object (sans those 2 prims) to 'None', and see the LI of the entire linkset reduced drastically!

The above will not always work (and there are cases where LI may go even up!), but in general, it's a LI(fe) saver. Especially linking regular prim objects with mesh tends to work out really well. You may need to experiment a bit to get the hang of it. Like only setting the physics shape to 'None' of certain individual (complex, tortured) prims. But the LI reductions are usually well worth the effort!

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Also, it helps to link stuff together (usually with scripts taken out, just for decoration). And what tends to work miracles, almost, is often to set the physics shape of entire objects to 'None'. For instance, you could have a kitchen block that's having a rather hefty LI. You could then add 2 (invisible) flat prims to it, say, 1 for top, and 1 for front, to create a 'faux' collision, and then set the entire object (sans those 2 prims) to 'None', and see the LI of the entire linkset reduced drastically!

The above will not always work (and there are cases where LI may go even up!), but in general, it's a LI(fe) saver. Especially linking regular prim objects with mesh tends to work out really well. You may need to experiment a bit to get the hang of it. Like only setting the physics shape to 'None' of certain individual (complex, tortured) prims. But the LI reductions are usually well worth the effort!

I posted this earlier on another thread recently (we are obsessed it seems with saving LI LOL) But here is how you TELL if you can link something together and get it to SAVE (and often it wont).  There are THREE parts to the land impact equation --- download, physics and server. The LARGEST one is the one that is counted. You can see that info by selecting an item and then clicking on "more info" in the build menu.

IF you item (as seen below) has  low download, physics and server numbers you can link to another item with SIMILAR numbers and get a "bonus" in land impact.

So in this case all the numbers are below one. Good!

If I linked TWO of these vases together they would become ONE land impact.  Any two items with the highest number that when LINKED add up to 1.5 or less will become ONE. Anything above the X.5 (any number for X) will round UP and sometimes can be MORE than the items are separately.

It is also important to note that you shouldn't link scripted objects together -- this is more for decor pieces. 

image.thumb.png.6a94c9624a0152ca66e635308e68ea51.png

IF you link three objects together it will ROUND UP to "2" even if the download and physics are very low.  1.5 in the SERVER setting rounds up.

image.thumb.png.21ab5da6856f507222ee3cc016d603e2.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
page is duplicating photos tonight. Deleting. VERY MESSY.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I think it worth adding to the advice that I would avoid linking no copy items until you are quite confident with building because if it goes wrong and the object you have linked is made of more than one part you could find if you need to unlink it it unlinks in pieces that are hard to reassemble. If the objects are copy then you have the fall back of rezzing a new copy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I think it worth adding to the advice that I would avoid linking no copy items until you are quite confident with building because if it goes wrong and the object you have linked is made of more than one part you could find if you need to unlink it it unlinks in pieces that are hard to reassemble. If the objects are copy then you have the fall back of rezzing a new copy 

Just touching on that real quick; you can only link items with the same permissions, so no-copy objects can only link with other no-copy objects. So for example you cannot link Gacha objects to items that are copy (unless there's a way around that I don't know about). But personally, as I've stated elsewhere on the forum here somewhere, I do link all Gacha to one set. I link all non-animated, non-Gacha to a separate set (where possible, so long as it doesn't increase my land impact). And I link all rugs into a phantom set too. At any one time I have at least 3 sets of objects linked in order to reduce land impact AND to make things easier to grab. The caveat to that is, as @Aethelwine mentioned above, you can sometimes screw things up.

For instance; if you link everything in your house and then move something, EVERYTHING that is linked to that object will also be moved unless you edit that particular selection (edit selection under build/edit), and that takes practice. Accidentally unlinking everything can also be a problem too (and I've done that more times than I can count!) as your land impact of each item will "revert back" to it's original/singular state, so basically any savings you made when things were linked will be lost until you relink. And if you accidentally unlink on land with limited prims and there isn't enough LI left to accommodate, some objects will immediately be removed from the parcel and thrown back into your inventory (usually to be found in your Lost and Found folder, and on the rare occasion I've had items vanish into thin air never to be seen again. Rare, but it does happen). On top of that, sometimes (by removing say a shadow prim, or editing a part of an object) that object may have lost it's original name and will just show up as 'object' in your Lost and Found folder. If you have a few hundred objects returned, good luck sifting through all that to find what you're looking for! (Though as a tip, look at the permissions of the object to see which is likely Gacha/no copy to make things a little easier to find).

So bottom line, not only do you have to be careful in choosing the right objects that fit the covenant, with low (512x512) textures and good LOD, and remembering to group items to their specific permissions set, but you also have to be careful when linking, editing, or unlinking those sets. All I can suggest is that you practice, practice, practice (with copy/mod objects first) and be patient. Like anything, it takes a while to get the hang of it but it's worth it in the long run when you do. :D 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Dumb-brain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, if you use the Linden decor in the pack you get from your mailbox, you should know that they are much more higher LI than what "most" merchants make. The small picket fence, I don't remember the LI, but it was much for that short stub.

So the fence I have, is 0.5 LI per part, and the part pictured is 4 posts and 4 sections = 8 parts, linked, they are 4 LI.

I don't know how many LI you need for 32 m with the Linden fence, but a lot. I think I have used 11 or 9 LI on a fence for 32 m. It was 11 first, I think, then I stretched it a little bit so I could remove 2 parts.

Same for flower pots. The Linden plant is 8 LI for a pot with flowers. I have many pots that's 1 LI each, only the ones I absolutely love have 2 LI.

But as many already said, some merchants make very high LI things. Like a very popular group gift now from F----- that's app. 30 LI for the sofa itself. It looks wonderful, but it is maybe not something I can use now. So consider the LI for what you have and for what you buy.

Edit: You can see my house in Evallen, it is open for ppl to visit. I'm in the line of houses that faces the houseboats. I have a front porch, carport and greenhouse, plus (a lot of) other stuff..

HPMD_001 ed.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Just touching on that real quick; you can only link items with the same permissions, so no-copy objects can only link with other no-copy objects. So for example you cannot link Gacha objects to items that are copy (unless there's a way around that I don't know about). But personally, as I've stated elsewhere on the forum here somewhere, I do link all Gacha to one set. I link all non-animated, non-Gacha to a separate set (where possible, so long as it doesn't increase my land impact). And I link all rugs into a phantom set too. At any one time I have at least 3 sets of objects linked in order to reduce land impact AND to make things easier to grab. The caveat to that is, as @Aethelwine mentioned above, you can sometimes screw things up.

For instance; if you link everything in your house and then move something, EVERYTHING that is linked to that object will also be moved unless you edit that particular selection (edit selection under build/edit), and that takes practice. Accidentally unlinking everything can also be a problem too (and I've done that more times than I can count!) as your land impact of each item will "revert back" to it's original/singular state, so basically any savings you made when things were linked will be lost until you relink. And if you accidentally unlink on land with limited prims and there isn't enough LI left to accommodate, some objects will immediately be removed from the parcel and thrown back into your inventory (usually to be found in your Lost and Found folder, and on the rare occasion I've had items vanish into thin air never to be seen again. Rare, but it does happen). On top of that, sometimes (by removing say a shadow prim, or editing a part of an object) that object may have lost it's original name and will just show up as 'object' in your Lost and Found folder. If you have a few hundred objects returned, good luck sifting through all that to find what you're looking for! (Though as a tip, look at the permissions of the object to see which is likely Gacha/no copy to make things a little easier to find).

So bottom line, not only do you have to be careful in choosing the right objects that fit the covenant, with low (512x512) textures and good LOD, and remembering to group items to their specific permissions set, but you also have to be careful when linking, editing, or unlinking those sets. All I can suggest is that you practice, practice, practice (with copy/mod objects first) and be patient. Like anything, it takes a while to get the hang of it but it's worth it in the long run when you do. :D 

i can imagine that lot of residents have no clue of how to link stuf ,would it be an idea to explain here how to do it ?   .i have put my invo on a note card ,each time i need it i just pull it out  .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atina0 said:

i can imagine that lot of residents have no clue of how to link stuf ,would it be an idea to explain here how to do it ?   .i have put my invo on a note card ,each time i need it i just pull it out  .

We all have to learn, but honestly it would be better IMO to advise those residents to go to a school and get some basic building skills  -- which really, everyone should have.

There are just SO MANY WAYS this linking trick can go wrong, I shutter when I see these advisory threads.  Yes, for folks that build and understand it is easy, but many have forgotten how hard it was to learn those skills. 

But feel free to put some steps down. The folks reading this thread have been warned a few times. 

ONE more thing that is pretty important here and hasn't been touched on. 

The MORE you put in your house (unless you really understand how the viewers work) and the heavier the mesh is --- the more you are increasing LAG for yourself and everyone else.    Put too many small heavy mesh objects (the greatest offenders normally) in one area view and you can watch your framerate plummet.  This ALSO affects your neighbors.  So MAYBE using more optimized mesh and remembering that empty spaces are important to design is a key point.

:D.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Another thing to keep in mind, especially when deciding to use lower LI fencing than the ones included in the content package is that by using the ones provided you are not adding any more textures to your cache because those have been used all around you by the moles. That will help to reduce lag. So while I too wish they were lower LI that is at least one benefit of using the ones provided. The same thing goes for adding plantings to your yard. The more you use of the same item will help reduce lag, so instead of using four different flowers in a planter .. use the same flower but vary it's size and possibly tint some of the petals to create variety rather than using 4 different flowers that will all have their own textures. Anytime you can reduce the number of textures in your build you will be reducing lag.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Just touching on that real quick; you can only link items with the same permissions, so no-copy objects can only link with other no-copy objects.

No, sorry, but that isn't true: you can most certainly link objects of different permissions (except, of course, when there are no-mod items in the mix, as those are, by nature, unlinkable). Pretty much any object which is mod can be linked to something else. Thus, you can easily link a prim to a no-copy item (the wisdom of doing so is debatable, naturally). In fact, I made my own rezzer system, which specifically checks (and rejects) no-copy items, as even accidentally linking 1 no-copy prim to a linkset makes the entire linkset no-copy (and rezzers live by derezzing and then... erm.. not rezzing when the object was no-copy). 

Now, as for LI, here's an example of drastic LI reduction I was talking about. At the top of the image (see below) is the 'Mudhoney' kitchen block I had in mind when making my post. It's good for an LI of 76. Below that, the same kitchen block, set to 'None', with a single invisi-prim linked to it (in the shape of the kitchen block, for the faux collision). And now it's only 58 LI. Sic! By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! 😉 So, to all those who think 5 LI for their home controller is a lot, there's already 18 prims, right there!

kitchen.png

EDIT: The above screenshot, or the reduced LI, was actually just of the 'proof of concept'. I added the faux-collision prim later (and made that one root), as I realized I will actually be using this kitchen for my new Bellisseria home. :) It was still 58 LI, btw.

Also, while I'm looking at the shadow-prim, those are always good to be set to 'None' (as shadow is not supposed to have any collision at all, of course).

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

No, sorry, but that isn't true: you can most certainly link objects of different permissions (except, of course, when there are no-mod items in the mix, as those are, by nature, unlinkable). Pretty much any object which is mod can be linked to something else. Thus, you can easily link a prim to a no-copy item (the wisdom of doing so is debatable, naturally). In fact, I made my own rezzer system, which specifically checks (and rejects) no-copy items, as even accidentally linking 1 no-copy prim to a linkset makes the entire linkset no-copy (and rezzers live by derezzing and then... erm.. not rezzing when the object was no-copy). 

I stand corrected. But that kind of proves my point. For people new to linking, the last thing that should be encouraged is linking no-copy objects to copy objects IN CASE something goes wrong. Leave that for when you're more familiar with the linking process, unless you feel confident enough to take the gamble. In an ideal situation I'd suggest don't link no-copy at all (which is hypocritical because I do) but now the whole concept of how to link properly is likely to confuse some people if not put many off it. The trick is to practice (again preferably with copy/mod items) so you feel proficient enough to eventually link the rest. But that's just my opinion. I'm no expert and never claimed to be (but it would be nice one day! A girl can dream! ;) ). 

2 hours ago, Atina0 said:

i can imagine that lot of residents have no clue of how to link stuf ,would it be an idea to explain here how to do it ?  

The fact is, as Chic pointed out, there is an awful lot that can go wrong even for those of us who do build or have some experience (see point above). None of this is fool proof or perfect. We've all had to learn things the hard way. I can't tell you the amount of times I've lost items due to experimentation, but it's the only way I learned, and much of what I know is self-taught. There are a lot of expert opinions out there, and lots of different ways of doing the same thing, and some are going to contradict each other. When you're new searching for information can seem like an overwhelming and daunting (and often times a very confusing and frustrating) pursuit. But if you really want to learn you'll do it. We can offer suggestions - and have been, but it's up to you to do the actual leg-work, just like everyone else.

As for actual suggestions as to where you can start to learn: Builder's Brewery is ideal. They offer regular classes in all building aspects of SL, and give you room to build and experiment as well. Join the group and start there, or search the forums here. A two second search on Google gave me a half dozen step-by-step videos on linking "basics", so the information is out there. You just have to go look for it. Reading will get you so far, but eventually you will have to practice (preferably on copy/mod items that you're not afraid to lose or "destroy"). Anyway, that's all just my opinion, and now I'll just back out of the room and let the real experts fight it out amongst themselves. :D

Edited by RaeLeeH
Added link.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I stand corrected. But that kind of proves my point. For people new to linking, the last thing that should be encouraged is linking no-copy objects to copy objects IN CASE something goes wrong. Leave that for when you're more familiar with the linking process, unless you feel confident enough to take the gamble. In an ideal situation I'd suggest don't link no-copy at all (which is hypocritical because I do) but now the whole concept of how to link properly is likely to confuse some people if not put many off it. The trick is to practice (again preferably with copy/mod items) so you feel proficient enough to eventually link the rest. But that's just my opinion. I'm no expert and never claimed to be (but it would be nice one day! A girl can dream! ;) ). 

The fact is, as Chic pointed out, there is an awful lot that can go wrong even for those of us who do build or have some experience (see point above). None of this is fool proof or perfect.

Wise words. :) Which is pretty much why I don't buy any no-copy items, ever. I heard the rationale voiced once, like "I don't wish to sell my bed copy, as I don't want them to start a hotel with it." Pretty flawed thinking at that, really, as it just means I'll get my bed from someone else.

But yes, accidents do happen. I lost a no-copy breedable once, which could not be retrieved (no, it wasn't in 'Lost & Found', even after a restart of the viewer, or at pos 0,0,0, etc). It had simply fallen off-world, and was gone for ever. At which point I resolved to never to get no-copy stuffz no more. :) Besides, you really need to be able to take your progess to inventory, at intervals, in case you make a monumental boo-boo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

For instance; if you link everything in your house and then move something, EVERYTHING that is linked to that object will also be moved unless you edit that particular selection (edit selection under build/edit), and that takes practice. Accidentally unlinking everything can also be a problem too (and I've done that more times than I can count!) as your land impact of each item will "revert back" to it's original/singular state, so basically any savings you made when things were linked will be lost until you relink.

Yes, indeed, and I have unlinked an entire house by accident before, and it was not a pretty sight to see the LI shoot up! So I would add to the advice given by everyone here this bit: Once you have linked items, set the linked object to locked. This way you won't accidentally move or delete the entire set because you will be forced to unlock it before you can edit it at all (and hopefully that will make you stop and think before proceeding). 

To lock: Right click - Edit - Object tab - Click "Locked" box

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

For instance; if you link everything in your house and then move something, EVERYTHING that is linked to that object will also be moved unless you edit that particular selection (edit selection under build/edit), and that takes practice.

Speaking of moving, positioning linksets can be tricky too. Let's say (like in my case) you want to create an entire furnished living room first, off-sim, to later port it to your Bellisseria home. My advice is: use an 'anker' object; which is to say, pick an individual prim inside your Bellisseria home, any prim, copy its location, and now rez a positioning prim at the exact same location. Then link said newly-rezzed prim to your will-be interior (as root). Now you can take your construct safely off-sim, and start building until it's done. Then, when you've returned to your Bellissaria home, all you need to do, is copy the location of the original 'anker' object again (inside the house), and paste your new interior to that very same location! And then everything will fit, precisely where you wanted it. :) (You can then unlink the positioning prim, if you so desire).

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2

This linking is really trial and error. It is not necessary to link huge clumps of furniture either. Maybe one room at a time. I am old in SL, but this linking of mesh is still trial and error. Sometimes it's better to not link 4, but link 2 pairs. Example: These Roman shades are 2 LI each. I have 4. (2 more on another wall)

They are 8 LI. Linked together all 4, is 7 LI. But linked in 2 pairs, they are 3 LI each, also 6 LI.

(I took a low quality pic in JPEG, so I don't have to edit a PNG smaller. Therefore the blurriness)

blinds_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.