So sad I didn't get a new home

JOVIYON Wycliffe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, s2Pandora said:

Yeah, I know you don't, but there's always that 1 in.. got knows how many houses chance of luck. I just meant it was a "prime" plot in my eyes, so to speak.

I know some have a valid reason, and those are not the people I have issues with at all. It's just there are so many people who want in on this for the experience, and then you get people taking up space so they can live in a skybox. I understand why(more prims), but it still leaves me a bit annoyed.

Yeah, ideally I'd reroll too, until I got the perfect spot. But, realistically, once you get a home on the new region, one should hang on to it for dear life. :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

I know some have a valid reason, and those are not the people I have issues with at all. It's just there are so many people who want in on this for the experience, and then you get people taking up space so they can live in a skybox. I understand why(more prims), but it still leaves me a bit annoyed.

This, to me, really simply underlines the apparent need for 'skybox-only' spaces: a need LL could address, maybe!?

Since the new region is so beautiful, with truly premium homes, usurping a plot there, just so you can use it for skybox purposes, does seem to be, if not outright against the TOS, then -- let's stay polite -- at least a bit of an inequitable use of the privilege of living there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It may not be apparent, to new premium members, that to any existing premium members every single house or houseboat is a prime location, in comparison with the old home that they have been using for ages. Inevitably, some are more prime than others, but they're definitely all prime.

• Like 5

It's not just that they have skyboxes and leave the house or boat empty.

I have been on 2 places in viewing distance, both are empty and when I check objects, it is 0 objects on the land. Meaning they haven't been there long enough to place out a single object.

One is a house with east view over water, other a boat.

So, illness in RL? Busy at work? Isn't it strange that I have 2 such empty places around me? One I could understand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

So, illness in RL? Busy at work? Isn't it strange that I have 2 such empty places around me? One I could understand.

I say it's entirely reasonable ppl are wanting to secure a spot first (without necessarily having the desire/time to start decorating immediately). Reserving judgement until, say, next month seems more useful -- if judgement is required at all, that is.

It isn't really a totally black & white situation, either: it's not against the TOS to keep your pied-à-terre empty (if only to keep it as a retreat for region restarts and such) , nor a very nice thing to do, per se, to your neighbors. I just think we need to be careful not to dictate that 'People need to spend X amount of hours at location Y,' or be disqualified. Not suggesting you're doing that, of course; just saying that I can only hope new residents of Bellisseria will be mindful of the 'spirit' of togetherness that comes with these new home region(s). Beyond that, I don't think much more should be enforced.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I say it's entirely reasonable ppl are wanting to secure a spot first (without necessarily having the desire/time to start decorating immediately). Reserving judgement until, say, next month seems more useful -- if judgement is required at all, that is.

It isn't really a totally black & white situation, either: it's not against the TOS to keep your pied-à-terre empty (if only to keep it as a retreat for region restarts and such) , nor a very nice thing to do, per se, to your neighbors. I just think we need to be careful not to dictate that 'People need to spend X amount of hours at location Y,' or be disqualified. Not suggesting you're doing that, of course; just saying that I can only hope new residents of Bellisseria will be mindful of the 'spirit' of togetherness that comes with these new home region(s). Beyond that, I don't think much more should be enforced.

I agree that it is totally ok to secure a place and use it later. But here it was some talk about those who leave the ground level empty and use a skybox. I wanted to say some has not been there and used the homes since the opening of Bellissaria, too.

Yes, in another thread it was suggested us who have an alt that's premium should not use that opportunity to have 2 places. I have 2 places indeed, but I use both and shop new things for them, and are in both places often. I am greedy that way and should perhaps give up one? I am not abusing the system, I just got what is included in the premium payments.

I think it's best to not get into that "enforced" road. When LL opened Bellissaria for skyboxes, no one should be surprised that ppl use them. But we don't have to like that the houses are totally empty.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am greedy that way and should perhaps give up one?

Hell, NO! You pay the premium fee, you get the premium benefits, main or alt.

There might be some envy that you can afford two premium accounts, but that's life, I'm afraid.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Odaks said:

There might be some envy that you can afford two premium accounts, but that's life, I'm afraid.

I had paid for a year, or else I would take them off, because the economy is suddenly worse now. This may be my last year as premium. I want to do the most out of it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have 2 places indeed, but I use both and shop new things for them, and are in both places often. I am greedy that way and should perhaps give up one? I am not abusing the system, I just got what is included in the premium payments.

You're fine. New homes are around the corner (large or small corner though it may be) and those of us without homes just need to be patient. ("What is for you will not pass you.") We can still enjoy the new continent, we can get out there and explore! How awesome is it that LL has created something for us that we are SO excited about? 💓

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I had paid for a year, or else I would take them off, because the economy is suddenly worse now. This may be my last year as premium. I want to do the most out of it.

That reminds of another point... some people (like me) have been paying for more than one premium account for many years. So I don't really feel obligated to give up my houseboat to someone who has just now decided to support SL with a premium account because of this new promotion. :)

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That reminds of another point... some people (like me) have been paying for more than one premium account for many years. So I don't really feel obligated to give up my houseboat to someone who has just now decided to support SL with a premium account because of this new promotion. :)

Loyalty actually seems to score minus points these days.

I'm reminded of the motor insurers who offered fantastic introductory goodies to new customers, but put some sneaky hurdles in the way of renewing ones, like, at best, keeping the premium the same but doing funny things like making you cancel the old policy before you could start the new one......

12 hours ago, Odaks said:

That just stinks! Its a total abuse of the new homes genre. If people want to live in a box in the sky, there's definitely a case for LL to provide, well.... a stack of boxes in the sky somewhere? It breaks my heart to think that people might be grabbing these quality, ground level environments when they have no intentions at all to be part of the "new revolution" community.

Well the possibility of having a skybox above ones Lindenhome is NEW and I guess there are people quite excited about that.

Might be a good idea to have lots that are molemade pretty landscape (woods or parks or such) on the ground and people get them ONLY to build skyboxes on?

Or (like was suggested) on the groundlevel sailable deep water - only place to build is in the skye - and to compensate for that - and make skyboxlovers TAKE those - they could have some MORE prims on those waterparcels for there are no molemade decorations there or a house. Perhaps an idea for @Patch Linden to consider??

Edited by Leora Jacobus

3 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Might be a good idea to have lots that are molemade pretty landscape (woods or parks or such) on the ground and people get them ONLY to build skyboxes on?

There may well be a demand for just that, especially if a reduced premium fee was involved. I suspect that a tiered charging structure may be in the pipeline for the future. I wonder?

• Like 1

Whenever I see a choice location I can’t help camming in to see if it’s empty or not. Why do I do that to myself? Well, when I see that it’s obviously lived in, it makes me smile. I moved into my houseboat and saw the person with the absolute best spot on the pier was basically there all day. Enjoy! With all the talk about empty homes though, I must say, riding around at night you can see the lights on in so many homes. It’s really wonderful. 

I did stop trying to get a second spot. After I got my houseboat I realized ... oh, now I need a boat (or three) not to mention entirely new decor, so I’ll focus on that. I know many more homes will come and my alts will have their day. I mean, they only exist to feed me lindens and tier so of course I’ll eventually want a second home. How can you not use the single best perk available? I wouldn’t feel bad about that, now or later. I do feel bad because for whatever reason I know I could get a house by the end  of the day, I am the queen of pressing F5. In fact when I was briefly holding two houses I TRADED one between me and my alt by simultaneously abandoning them. Bold. I wish any other members of the refresh club the same luck 😊

• Like 3

Wow! Snipping how someone WHO PAID the complete price wants to use or NOT use their Linden home. Next, get a RL doctor's note if you fail to decorate  . or maybe demand all visual items cost at least 100L and have been made with in the last three years? Group vote on best wall color "we have to look at it TOO"

Of course these are attractive skybox parcels, you don't have to pay for the land and the older Linden homes have  the no skybox  rule  and  the build choices there  ...

But this mob anger and tossing around words like "abuse" wanting to 'kill" someone who is following the rules.

I'm going to script my stuff to click transparent so my house will look empty when I'm not there so you Mrs Kravitz types can gnash your teeth.

Second Life should and could add so much joy to life , so to run around looking for things to complain about when we got such a lovely place from Linden is so unseemly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, s2Pandora said:

the house was completely empty. If this person is one of those "skybox" livers i'd want to kill him.

Maybe you don't understand these people who choose to live a different way from yourself. They aren't causing any harm -- their home and yard still looks nice, and in fact the less prims on the ground the less lag for you. Perhaps they don't enjoy decorating homes and gardens but want to have a space that's theirs, and they enjoy other community activities such as walking in the neighborhood, boating, or flying.
Personally, I'd like a gazebo option amidst our home choices and then I'd create a small community garden on the ground, using my skybox for building.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 8

Another thing to remember is that along with the announcement of the new Linden homes area, was the announcement that the old Linden home areas were going to be removed at some point, and people still there would need to move to the new area or to somewhere else.   Some may just be moving right away, rather than waiting, and may not necessarily be anymore concerned about neighbors and community than they were with that in the old Linden homes.   There were public areas, small gathering areas, and places to explore all around in the old LH areas - perhaps not as beautiful compared to what can be built today - but apparently many of the residents there did not put a huge emphasis on community, and that lack of emphasis might continue even when they move to the new area.  

I really would not like to see a special area just for people who want to live in a skybox.  I think having the option to have a skybox over any of the parcels is the best option.  It offers the most flexibility for the resident, and allows them to change their focus on how they want to use the parcel, without having to move to another parcel to do so.  

I also hope people will not be going overboard on interpreting what is "in-theme" or not.  I really don't like restrictive home owner associations in real life, and while I understand (and agree) that the Linden home areas need some type of covenant to keep the area nice for everyone, I would hope residents will not be too judgmental of others.  Not everyone has the same decorating or building skills. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Maybe someone just wants to use their Linden home, which they are entitled to as a Premium member, as a dressing room and that is ALL. How is that hurting anyone else? I'd rather see a sparsely decorated or empty home than some of the stuff I've seen at "decorated" homes on the new continent (ugly big walls, neon dance poles, etc.). *shrug*

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Odaks said:

^^ Most assuredly! No one should feel guilty over just claiming what they essentially pay for: a perk that comes with premium membership. It's ultimately Linden's responsibility and job to meet demand for new homes (if that is something they want to do). But it's certainly not on residents to forego on getting their nice homes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I really would not like to see a special area just for people who want to live in a skybox.  I think having the option to have a skybox over any of the parcels is the best option.  It offers the most flexibility for the resident, and allows them to change their focus on how they want to use the parcel, without having to move to another parcel to do so.  

I also hope people will not be going overboard on interpreting what is "in-theme" or not.  I really don't like restrictive home owner associations in real life, and while I understand (and agree) that the Linden home areas need some type of covenant to keep the area nice for everyone, I would hope residents will not be too judgmental of others.  Not everyone has the same decorating or building skills. 

Looking at the last series of replies in this thread, I'm happy to see more folks than just me are pushing back some against a forced way of living. 'In-theme' is definitely a thing, but, like you say, not everyone is as talented an interior decorator as someone else -- or even has the inclination to be. Extreme eyesores is something LL could perhaps look into on an individual basis; but, remember, 'derender' is your friend. :) 

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to add, I do like special skybox areas, though, We'll have an essentially empty region, water only (let's call it The Sea of Tranquility), with essentially just 1024m plots on it, and no building below 2,000m, and free boating for all. This means LL wouldn't have to populate any homes on there (= eating up prims), so these water-only, skybox parcels could perhaps even come with increased prim-allotment.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

That actually could work. Have the sky box parcels be the ocean zones. Ground sunk so its only water below, no building below 2km. The water below would be public waterways.

I actually really like the idea of putting some of the water regions to use as 1024 skybox housing. Perhaps set them up with single prim "floors" at the 2k level and restrict them to using the new security orb in the sky only, with public access required at the ground level. 

There are all of those new ocean regions connecting Bellisseria to the neighboring continents, as well as the regions in the center of the lake... Prime real estate!

Perks:

• Users who only want a free skybox, can have one, without taking homes from those who want them
  • Mermaids can build those deeper underwater grottoes they've been talking about here on the forums!
  • No decor is needed outside of home parcels, so all of that unused LI can still be put towards the rezzing of boats and planes like it is now
  • More 1024 home parcels added to satisfy demand, without adding to the moles' workload in finishing new regions; just parcel and go!

@Patch Linden thoughts?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

How is this any different from getting some regular mainland or horizons land .. and not building on the ground.

I agree that having a skybox-only region with a contiguous terrain is no different from old mainland

i think that anything new would be quite different. They would have to be like rooms. Can't see anything outside of the room. Can't move outside of the room

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i think that anything new would be quite different. They would have to be like rooms. Can't see anything outside of the room. Can't move outside of the room

Or... go the exact opposite route. :) Which is to say, create many 1024m2 skybox plots, that all act like unconnected regions. For instance, I live on a private, unconnected island: it may very well be physically connected to other regions, but it's not and such defined in the meta-region config (it's called differently, for sure, but I forgot its name). Which means, as to me, there are no neighboring regions: just sea. And I can put up a 1024m3 sky environment box (using mega prims) that -- because of the unconnected nature of my sim -- does not interfere with anyone else's region. This unconnected setup is quite common for private islands, btw.

So, tl;dr, the same could maybe be done for skybox plots: tiny 1024m2 min-regions, as it were,, all unconnected in the meta config, that peeps can use for their large environment surrounds, and be ideal for skyboxes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teager said:

I actually really like the idea of putting some of the water regions to use as 1024 skybox housing. Perhaps set them up with single prim "floors" at the 2k level and restrict them to using the new security orb in the sky only, with public access required at the ground level. 

There are all of those new ocean regions connecting Bellisseria to the neighboring continents, as well as the regions in the center of the lake... Prime real estate!

<snip>

Those water regions are substantially limited in both avatar limit and prim count to be used for housing because they're either Homestead or Open-space regions, with the following limits:

Homestead: 25 avatars, 5000 prims

Openspace: 15 avatars, 1000 prims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.