Is LL putting more sims on fewer servers?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Me living in a skybox far above the ground, with just a nice park being at ground level, does not have me using any more resources than if my home was actually on the ground with that small park.  

It's a lot lighter on the client for people on the ground AND in the sky.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 4:59 PM, MBeatrix said:

I like them as much as you do, and I probably sail and fly around more than you do, but LL needs those "excessive profits" not only to keep stuff running as also to make improvements to it.

LL is not making excessive profits off of those sims.  LL is making less.  If anything, they may be getting cheated while possibly adding to mainland lag.

Here is how it works.  Someone buys an estate sim.  They rent it to a person for x dollars.

The people I mentioned buy an mainland sim, which costs far less money.  They rent it for the same x dollars to multiple people on one mainland sim by using different heights, which is different than the the private sims.

Edited by Israel Schnute
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Israel Schnute said:

LL is not making excessive profits off of those sims.  LL is making less.  If anything, they may be getting cheated while possibly adding to mainland lag.

Here is how it works.  Someone buys an estate sim.  They rent it to a person for x dollars.

The people I mentioned buy an mainland sim, which costs far less money.  They rent it for the same x dollars to multiple people on one mainland sim by using different heights, which is different than the the private sims.

I know what they do. I have a sim packed with sky domes next door. Is it somehow visually disturbing? Yes, it is, but it's not worse than loads of crap I see rezzed on the ground around mainland.

You are forgetting one thing: every time rental owners take money out of SL, LL makes money from it. The more money they move to the real world, the more money LL makes. And it doesn't bother me not even a bit. Excessive profits? Yes! I wish there were more, no matter if it's from rentals or whatever else.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, MBeatrix said:

I know what they do. I have a sim packed with sky domes next door. Is it somehow visually disturbing? Yes, it is, but it's not worse than loads of crap I see rezzed on the ground around mainland.

You are forgetting one thing: every time rental owners take money out of SL, LL makes money from it. The more money they move to the real world, the more money LL makes. And it doesn't bother me not even a bit. Excessive profits? Yes! I wish there were more, no matter if it's from rentals or whatever else.

So you want someone you don't know to litter the mainland beyond its purpose to make excessive profits?  I'd wonder why your not doing the same then.

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

The vehicle supremacists are the sovereign citizens of SL citing eminent domain of all airspace and passageways regardless whose land it is over.

This was settled long before Second Life.  At least 90 years ago in the United States.

Do you live in a place that has airplanes, helicopters or drones?  You can't ban a commercial jet from flying overhead. 

Now it's interesting to see someone with a 1700's philosophy using terms like "sovereign citizens" to make fun of people, while maintaining that 1700's ideal that you own your own property from the land to infinity.  But, it's been settled long ago, and in the TOS, you agreed to California law!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Israel Schnute said:

Do you live in a place that has airplanes, helicopters or drones?  You can't ban a commercial jet from flying overhead. 

No one can build that high in RL, in SL we can build at whatever height we choose to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Schnute said:

This was settled long before Second Life.  At least 90 years ago in the United States.

Now it's interesting to see someone with a 1700's philosophy using terms like "sovereign citizens" to make fun of people, while maintaining that 1700's ideal that you own your own property from the land to infinity.  But, it's been settled long ago, and in the TOS, you agreed to California law!

SL is not RL, and your land goes from zero to 4096 and yes, you can ban anything you like from your land. Sovereign citizen is an accurately mocking description of anyone who thinks otherwise.

• Like 1

Ban lines don't go that high up (unless they change it recently), why is that?

For the argument that SL is not RL, how far does that go?  Thought we had issues with gambling, SL banks, IP, and even linden currency way back when.  But ignoring that SL is not as separate as RL as people wish it were, I personally think to be angry at a plane going overhead is a 16th century mindset.  Other than being a luddite, what exactly is the problem for those 3 seconds?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Israel Schnute said:

Ban lines don't go that high up (unless they change it recently), why is that?

Ban line height for "no entry" or "pay to access" (in other words, "allow public access" is turned off, or "allow group access" is turned on, in the parcel options) is the parcel's ground elevation plus 50 meters (except, if the region has been set to "Block Parcel Fly Over" in which case the access controls extend to at least 4096 meters). If a user is explicitly banned by name, the height is the parcel's ground elevation plus 5000 meters. On current viewers this is visible to the full extent.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ban line height for "no entry" or "pay to access" (in other words, "allow public access" is turned off, or "allow group access" is turned on, in the parcel options) is the parcel's ground elevation plus 50 meters (except, if the region has been set to "Block Parcel Fly Over" in which case the access controls extend to at least 4096 meters). If a user is explicitly banned by name, the height is the parcel's ground elevation plus 5000 meters. On current viewers this is visible to the full extent.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

Your wealth of information boggles my mind. Do not get near me if I'm in a laboratory wearing a white coat, standing next to a strapped gurney and golding brain-picking tools in my hands. :)

I always knew about the first two but didn't know about the blacklist version. Now THAT'S the way to do it for vendetta reasons alone.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There was talk for years about building a RL bridge / elevator to space, using nanotubes and such. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

and then they asked real scientists and not the Elon Musk of the 80s ...

Who told them no cable will be strong enough ...

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

and then they asked real scientists and not the Elon Musk of the 80s ...

Who told them no cable will be strong enough ...

Actually, we're close to having materials strong enough to do it. Per a NASA article from 2000, NASA scientists decided we're very close to being able to build it. But who cares about scientists? It's engineers who will do the job.

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Actually, we're close to having materials strong enough to do it. Per a NASA article from 2000, NASA scientists decided we're very close to being able to build it. But who cares about scientists? It's engineers who will do the job.

Engineering is science too, material must be repairable and withstand the conditions in the atmosphere layers, ... don't listen to false prophets. Unpatchable cables cannot be the solution ;)

US based ivory tower scientists will tell whatever their money sources wants to hear and leave out important details, like

• How long will it be save to use?
  • What is the backup plan if it breaks down?
  • How fast can we replace it?

• 2 weeks later...

It's really not. If you focus more on the script EPS and script time, scripts run shouldn't be dipping like that. A couple of months ago, the only time that scripts run dipped below 90% was when someone entered or logged in in the region. The full sim I help manage typically had 1400-1600 EPS and script performance was steady. We were forced to cut back on script use since then, but even today with script EPS at 800+ it doesn't drop below 90% scripts run. In spite of the few changes that have been made within the homestead sim over the last ten years of its life, its performance has never been worse.

Following on from the last three posts I just have this point to make; without ANY increase in script numbers my homestead's script-run percentage has dropped from a steady 95+% to a variable 45-60% in recent weeks.  I don't recall just when this occurred now, it wasn't three or four weeks ago, it was longer, but the capacity of the simulator/server has obviously dropped considerably.

This points (in my mind) to many more regions sharing the server memory capacity.  The stats on my region look very similar to those posted by Thunder Rahja above, though our use of physics time is a little greater. The stats still show a large amount of spare time, though I suspect that does not mean much now. We do not use any pathfinding or animesh characters so it's not them hoovering up the script time.

If that is not an indication of there being more regions per simulator/server, I don't know what is.  It is not universal, since I have seen regions with over 90% script run despite there being a high number of script events and far less spare time.  But something is causing it and I cannot see any other cause other than the increased density of regions.

Edited by Aishagain

27 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

If that is not an indication of there being more regions per simulator/server, I don't know what is.  It is not universal, since I have seen regions with over 90% script run despite there being a high number of script events and far less spare time.  But something is causing it and I cannot see any other cause other than the increased density of regions.

Spare time for homestead is most definitely not the "actual spare time" that full regions have. For full regions it does work as you'd expect from what I saw. If you have spare time you're looking at 90%+ for scripts run, often around 95-100%. If region runs out of spare time it'll start eating into scripts' performance and you will see less and less % run. Homesteads always have tons of spare time, but I think actual spare time for those is around 4ms (maybe 5ms), after that scripts run % starts dropping while stats still show 15-16ms of spare time left. It's probably just lack of interest from LL to update/adjust their tools when it comes to homesteads. Maybe a technical limitation too, you never know with SL and its spaghetti code that goes back to 16 years already.

P. S.

My friend's homestead has around 2.1k scripts (majority of them seems to be very light, mostly just idle ones in landscape stuff used to change seasons in whole region easily.) and 85-95 EPS. It usually hovers around 45-50% scripts run too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.