10 million people watch a DJ in Fortnite

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fortnite has progressed beyond being a first person shooter. They had a concert.

marshmello-fortnite-concert-3.thumb.jpg.cdb2d7bac89c04d6dc8bb856a9132787.jpg

10 million concurrent users. The DJ was in a motion capture suit, with the motion was fed into Fortnite. In multiple shards, like Sansar, not all in one world. 10 million concurrent users.

Sansar claims to be in that business. "The go-to destination for live entertainment". They have a small comedy club.

Back in 2011, Duran Duran had an island in SL. That was a long time ago. LL is not keeping up.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

While this does have a point, it should also be acknowledged that Fortnite has a massive userbase to begin with.

Had it begun as a "live virtual DJ stage," it would not have these articles written about it.

Heck, as someone who was involved with closed alpha testing of Fortnite since 2014, I can say that Fortnite was struggling to stay on its feet as a base-building player-versus-AI game. Only after they switched to a new and popular genre (as free-to-play) did they explode in popularity.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

While this does have a point, it should also be acknowledged that Fortnite has a massive userbase to begin with.

Had it begun as a "live virtual DJ stage," it would not have these articles written about it.

Heck, as someone who was involved with closed alpha testing of Fortnite since 2014, I can say that Fortnite was struggling to stay on its feet as a base-building player-versus-AI game. Only after they switched to a new and popular genre (as free-to-play) did they explode in popularity.

I know. The interesting trend is that MMOs are expanding into SL's virtual world space. Many allow building, and some allow land ownership. We're going to see more of this in 2019. I've previously mentioned the Epic/Improbable/Google deal to support big virtual worlds. Not clear where that's going, but huge amounts of money, upwards of $500 million, are being spent. The MMO people are powering through the scaling problems that plague SL on sheer money power.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, animats said:

I know. The interesting trend is that MMOs are expanding into SL's virtual world space. Many allow building, and some allow land ownership. We're going to see more of this in 2019. I've previously mentioned the Epic/Improbable/Google deal to support big virtual worlds. Not clear where that's going, but huge amounts of money, upwards of $500 million, are being spent. The MMO people are powering through the scaling problems that plague SL on sheer money power.

I don't know if "MMOs are expanding into SL's virtual world space" is very accurate.

These games (or this live DJ thing) don't compare to SL's platform and MMORPGs with "land-ownership" (however you define that) have been around at least as long as SL. My go-to example is Entropia Universe (since 2003), which is a lot like SL in more ways than not, but further gamified and far more strictly economy-based. (For example: You can buy land deeds for hundreds (or hundreds of thousands) of USD worth of in-game currency from other players through auction, and you must further maintain your land by providing services and wildlife for other players to make use of while you automatically collect your chosen amount of tax for various activities. You can then cash your in-game currency back out into real USD.)

You could equally find any number of "proper" MMORPGs with land ownership or housing, with similar but more simplified economies and social interaction.

They've been here all along, though they're becoming more visible and/or you don't/haven't considered these to be the same thing as SL. (And they're not.)

P.S. What I'm not saying though, is that SL shouldn't be on its toes. I'm not going to make any time predictions, but I think everybody (including LL, see: Sansar) knows that SL's time is limited as rewriting the code into modern standards is just not feasible (or would take them several years and having to pull out practically all resources from SL as it is). People are going to keep trying to make the next big virtual world, and I have a feeling it's not going to be SL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

Fortnite has the advantage of having the mainstream audience and media attention due to its popularity, and thus this sort of 1-time event is viable, however it wont compete with virtual worlds like SL or VR platform like Sansar / HiFi in the long run unless Epic drastically expand their goal with Fortnite as a platform.

9 hours ago, animats said:

Fortnite has progressed beyond being a first person shooter. They had a concert.

10 million concurrent users. The DJ was in a motion capture suit, with the motion was fed into Fortnite. In multiple shards, like Sansar, not all in one world. 10 million concurrent users.

Sansar claims to be in that business. "The go-to destination for live entertainment". They have a small comedy club.

Back in 2011, Duran Duran had an island in SL. That was a long time ago. LL is not keeping up.

Do you remember the huge popularity of Pokemon game sometime ago ? who 'catch them all' now? Popularity brings new people but is no guaranty they will stay years.

Also, i remember years ago , there were numerous live singers in sl,. Not much of them here now.

Is time to face the truth. We are not in Second Life for live streams or shooting people. We are for sex and money. That's all !!!

It's impressive but it has no staying power in an fps game.  Fortnite doesn't have the infrastructure or tools for recurring events such as this.  Even if they did, the novelty would wear off quickly and people would just go back to their regular FPS game.  VR Chat would actually be a better platform for hosting concerts such as this, if  we're talking about attracting a similar audience such as the one in Fortnite.

Edited by femhalf

13 hours ago, animats said:

Second Life is not in a "virtual world space."

Second Life is in the Second Life space.

If you were going to make a virtual world from scratch, chances are you would do things completely differently from how Second Life works, because many things about how Second Life works are buttocks-clenchingly stupid. However, Second Life was built on those factors and many of them can't be easily changed without breaking Second Life as Second Life, and Second Life is relatively successful at the scale it is now.

Meanwhile, there hasn't been any other "virtual world" that's caught on, despite some of them being made by companies with much greater resources available to support their development (i.e. Google Lively, Playstation Home.)

J.C. Penney was in a slow decline, so they logically enough brought in someone from a booming popular store chain - Ron Johnson of Apple Stores. He proceeded to break J.C. Penney as J.C. Penney while utterly failing to make it into something more successful than J.C. Penney was before.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, animats said:

I know. The interesting trend is that MMOs are expanding into SL's virtual world space. Many allow building, and some allow land ownership. We're going to see more of this in 2019.

I think VRChat is something to watch as it's growing at a fast pace. If SL contained some of the elements causing younger people to prefer it over SL they might be able to lessen the decline.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think VRChat is something to watch as it's growing at a fast pace. If SL contained some of the elements causing younger people to prefer it over SL they might be able to lessen the decline.

And what would that be? Control of content? Movement restrictions?

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:
25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

And what would that be? Control of content? Movement restrictions?

They have connected with Unity SDK for one, and have more support for building in general.  It seems to have more structure related to activities too -- meetings, concerts, events.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think VRChat is something to watch as it's growing at a fast pace.

vrchatusage.png.14322d40339e6449e02c3472bf2dcc49.png

VRChat usage on Steam. Big peak in the 2017-2018 holiday season. Since then, not so much.

VRchat is the most successful of the VR-goggles shared worlds. The trouble is that VR goggles turned out to be a niche market.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Their in world pic of the crowd looks not like 10k users, sorry Fortnite, but your concert looks less  crowded than the last Firestorm party.

Fortnite is sharded, like Sansar. There are a huge number of identical copies of the world, each with a few users in it.

The big all-users-in-one-world systems are supposed to be here soon, using Spatial OS, and the industry is looking forward to seeing how well that works under load. With $500 million, Epic Games, and Google behind it, that will either succeed or be a famous failure. We'll know in a few months.

52 minutes ago, animats said:

VRchat is the most successful of the VR-goggles shared worlds. The trouble is that VR goggles turned out to be a niche market.

You don't need a headset to participate in VRChat, and I'm not so sure the jury's in regarding the fate of VR...so far its usage is increasing on Steam and in other business areas too.

Keep me posted about this big, upcoming world...I want to check it out.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Keep me posted about this big, upcoming world...I want to check it out.

Things you can check out now:

• Mavericks. A first person shooter, but with 1000 players in one big world. You can try it, but it's not as good as its PR.
  • Worlds Adrift. Airships. Lots of airships. Classic hunt for parts, build stuff MMO.
  • Community Garden. A proof of concept for a big persistent world. An empty city where you can water the plants. Come back later and see how the plants are getting along. Most depressing game trailer ever.
  • Sominium Space. A large virtual world, but not much there yet.

All these are low-budget projects.

In development:

• Seed. SimCity or Civilization on a planetary scale.
  • Nostos. An anime-like big world. Looks Japanese, but it's from NetEase, a big Internet service in China.
  • Crysis says they have an "AAA title" in development for Spatial OS.

These have more money behind them.

There are also at least three big-world projects that look like crypto-coin ICO scams. I'll skip those.

We're seeing the heavy machinery for big, shared, persistent, seamless, heavily populated worlds starting to work. Game developers are struggling with what to do with it. Mavericks, above, is a 1000 player battle royale, with everyone trying to kill everyone else. Like Fortnite, but without the humor. Worlds Adrift gets OK reviews. Community Garden is a tech demo. Pictures from Sominium Space look like My First Build pictures from SL.

SL with better machinery underneath is what we'd really like to see.

• Thanks 2

On 2/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, animats said:

I was like hm, cool... then a customers 7 and 10 years old kids told me how they play the game and gave me some info and I was like, umm-ok no.

This concert reminds me of those large dance sims that were in SL back in the day. Fortnite's creator Epic games basically did something that every SL resident makes fun of when we see a new person trying to make a dance club as their very first business effort. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 666mila said:

LL could negotiate with the stars of pop music..for live concerts..I think retro musicians aren't that expensive.))

riiight.. Are you willing to shell out $12,000L to see some sad old should have retired band play virtually? I'm not. Come to think of it, it would be a lot more than that.. I believe you can only have 100 people on a mainland sim, so it would be more like $125,000L per person. 

On 2/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, animats said:

So what?

Fortnite and other games can do things like that because they don't have user content so they totally control the content and the scene.

What's the point of being concurrent with 9 million plus other people? It's not like you can interact with them. They are all on different shards or whatever it is.

I'd much rather be at an SL concert with 40 people with whom I can talk, and the performers also can interact, hear requests and get tips and so on. Fortnite doesn't have that, I'll bet.

Why are we raising Duran Duran? Who on earth or the Metaverse listens to Duran Duran anymore???

We have numerous performers in SL playing all the time around the clock and you can drop in any time and stay or leave as you wish, and if you tell a friend to go there, they will be on the same sim, not another shard.

Serving the masses is not what every metaversal platform manager needs to do.

9 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

riiight.. Are you willing to shell out $12,000L to see some sad old should have retired band play virtually? I'm not. Come to think of it, it would be a lot more than that.. I believe you can only have 100 people on a mainland sim, so it would be more like $125,000L per person.  

I think the LL programmers can create a SIM, and a larger capacity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.