Fixing the "Wear" Mechanic.

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe when we get BakeOnMesh something like that will come along..

I like the add and the option to put certain things where I like, rather than them going to that one spot without a choice, because it is made in only a certain layer..

We'll have like 62 or 63 layers soon..So that will be nice 😃

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I always thought that the ADD was the fix for not being able to WEAR more than one thing on a specific attachment point.    A related question might be when are so many clothing and accessory creators going to stop using the Right Hand attachment point for everything they make?  There probably isn't a single solution that will make everyone happy, anyway.  The first time I add an item I check where it's attached to, and if it's the right hand, I remove it and add it back using the "Add to" option so I can choose where it's attached. 

• Like 5

Moira's right...there's nothing broken, so nothin' needs fixin'.

You can Wear mesh...just be sure there's nothing else on the attach point you're using for it.

Use Wear when:  There is nothing on the target clothing layer or attachment point, or you want to remove whatever is there and replace it with the new item.

Use Add when:  You want to wear something without removing items already on that layer or attachment point.

• Like 11

"Add" is the fix for "Wear" - as you'd well know if you bothered to dig even a little into Second Life's general and feature histories.

What you should be asking is when/if Linden Lab will ever correctly name the two functions: "Wear & Replace" and "Wear & Add to .."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Haselden said:

How come Lindon labs hasn't fixed WEAR for mesh items. For example, in order to add mesh you must choose ADD, not WEAR.

This is new to me -  but no wonder as it is wrong. Mesh will wear if you click wear... 

Of course you have to understand attachment points to know what is going on with replacements - this is still a minor nuissance compared to understanding alphas...

Attachment points might be a new concept to some, but as you self identify as a gamer ... have you ever heared about "equipment slots" ?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 4

Since to introduction of "Add" I cannot say I have needed to use "Wear" at all.  In fact its placement on the menu in Firestorm is quite a nuisance as sometimes I accidentally select it instead of "Add" and then have to figure out what just got replaced.  I wouldn't be too upset to lose the "Wear" completely.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Haselden said:

How come Lindon labs hasn't fixed WEAR for mesh items. For example, in order to add mesh you must choose ADD, not WEAR.

Is this ever going to be fixed for new players?

Needing to add something to add it? Yeah, super-confusing.

"Wear" is still useful for things that use a comparatively standard attachment point, like hair. It would have been a Good Thing if clothing manufacturers had worked out a standardized use of attachment points for rigged mesh, like pants always being attached to "Right Hip," for instance, but that bird has flown. However, you can still do that yourself if you're willing to commit to it.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Since to introduction of "Add" I cannot say I have needed to use "Wear" at all.  In fact its placement on the menu in Firestorm is quite a nuisance as sometimes I accidentally select it instead of "Add" and then have to figure out what just got replaced.  I wouldn't be too upset to lose the "Wear" completely.

I set mine up so all i have to do is double click the item to attach or double click to detach.. I didn't even know we could do that until recently..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I set mine up so all i have to do is double click the item to attach or double click to detach.. I didn't even know we could do that until recently..

It's amazing how many different ways people use the viewer.

I am naturally more of a right-clicker myself, double-clicking for some reason seems more difficult for me.
I right-click and "Add" or right-click and "Detach" and must admit that "Attach" seems a more consistent name for "Add" considering the "Detach", or perhaps "Remove" instead of "Detach" is better.  Anyway I must admit, I like consistency in my UI.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's amazing how many different ways people use the viewer.

I am naturally more of a right-clicker myself, double-clicking for some reason seems more difficult for me.
I right-click and "Add" or right-click and "Detach" and must admit that "Attach" seems a more consistent name for "Add" considering the "Detach", or perhaps "Remove" instead of "Detach" is better.  Anyway I must admit, I like consistency in my UI.

I've only been doing it like that for a few days..I am constantly right clicking out of habit..

But I'm starting to do more double clicking now..

The part I really like is I can do both attach and detach,which I didn't know I could detach like that until yesterday..hehehehe

It's amazing how hard it is to change to a different way of doing things..

I have the same problem when I add buttons to my screen for things like photo tool..

I have a button right there but still catch myself going to the menu from time to time hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Haselden said:

The fix for "Wear" is to remove it entirely, to be honest

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I for one would not like to see “wear” go away, I use it for my hair all the time.  I have found a hair in a length that I like and the store has it in a number of styles.  I can, for instance, have my hair behind my ears and down my back, or wear it over my shoulders, or in a ponytail or pigtails.  By using “wear” the hair I have on is quickly replaced.  I keep two or three styles in a folder with my outfit so I can easily switch from one to the other.  And because they are all from the same store the color and texture of each style looks alike.  And yes it is mesh hair.
I would hate to have “wear” go away, and “add” was really needed and I love it too.

9 hours ago, Haselden said:

1. It's Linden Lab, not "Lindon labs"

2. It's not "players", it's Residents. SL isn't a playable game, it's a virtual world.

and 3.: Why is it so difficult for you to understand that ADD means ADD? As far as I can remember (and I created my first account in spring 08), WEAR has always meant "wear & replace", and ADD has always been the fix for that.

The only place I use wear anymore is when using a shoe base as wearing two or more of those can create issues if they are differing heel heights. Otherwise, I use ADD for everything. And I too, will unattach and reattach items that use the right hand attachment spot, because that's a huge issue for having items drop off during teleport.

5 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

"Add" is the fix for "Wear" - as you'd well know if you bothered to dig even a little into Second Life's general and feature histories.

What you should be asking is when/if Linden Lab will ever correctly name the two functions: "Wear & Replace" and "Wear & Add to .."

That would explain the difference better for newbies. I think "wear" is one of the top reasons for why new residents have problems and give up SL - because they can't even get clothes to stay on.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We'll have like 62 or 63 layers soon..So that will be nice 😃

That's been in place for a while.  More correctly, the layers haven't changed (tattoo, undershirt, shirt, etc.).  But you can wear up to 60 layer type items on a single layer, by the use of Add.  (Whether this means you can now wear up to 60 things on EVERY layer, I leave as an exercise for the student.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.