How to create a SL viewer?

MajorGreen Pro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 hours ago, cafekan said:

replying to: animats 

For that reason I believe having my own Second Life viewer that I build from the Viewer guide will be so much better. Having an updated may also bring back a lot of residents.  I don't believe it should be a free upload because the service to maintain it and updated software cost money. The next generation of Second Life viewer should cost money. 

Good thing we the people have choices.  Buying a viewer rofl.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, cafekan said:

Our team will be joining the race for the Second Life Virtual World Viewer design. Its like everything else in the Second Life. The you want your life to be better the more you have to invest into it.

I'm thinking nothing wrong with your post as your comment is relevant.

9 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

will you pay attention to the dates on these topic.  2011... 

Though you could have just let it quietly fall back into the abyss, your reply to do nothing but scold (and it IS a relevant comment,) has ensured it stays alive. So now it is alive again! ~Wags a finger~ Bahahaha

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm thinking nothing wrong with your post as your comment is relevant.

Though you could have just let it quietly fall back into the abyss, your reply to do nothing but scold (and it IS a relevant comment,) has ensured it stays alive. So now it is alive again! ~Wags a finger~ Bahahaha

:P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cafekan said:

https://modemworld.me/2014/03/05/sl-go-second-life-on-a-tablet-on-the-move-and-more/  

I hope to make the SL GO; tablet a better one. A house hold anyone can make it using the the above link. 

The biggest challenge may be using up to date technology that has no SL viewer to follow along with.

The SL GO approach is reasonable, but not free to use. A Second Life viewer is running on a server somewhere, and the video output is streamed to the user. The tablet is just showing a video stream and passing keyboard and touch events to the server.

Somebody has to pay for that server. Each client needs a server with a good GPU. So this gets expensive. There are commercial services which offer game streaming. They're not free. Such services have been offered for SL in the past, but they had a substantial cost per hour. However, server instances with GPUs are getting cheaper, so it may be worth looking at this again.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, cafekan said:

The biggest challenge may be using up to date technology that has no SL viewer to follow along with.

the biggest challenge facing a pay-for viewer is coding it without referencing any of the code in the Linden viewer codebase

when we do reference Linden code then our viewer code is subject to the same license as the Linden code: GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1. Link here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Viewer_Licensing_Program

which means that we often have to distribute our source code with our viewer, and anyone else can take our code and include it in their own viewer

there are a few ways to except ourselves from having to subject our code to the license, but these few ways pretty much mean we have to build our own code from scratch. Which requires more than a little effort

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, cafekan said:

Our Fashion Jewelry trade mark is complete.

The trademark really has been submitted for registration. Not approved by the USPTO yet, though. From the USPTO Trademark Electronic Search System:

Word Mark SLIPNFALLS
Goods and Services IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: Jewelry

Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 88694466
Filing Date November 15, 2019
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT)  ███████████ INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES ███████████████████████████████████████
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Having a trademark is useful if you're going into business in RL. It makes it easier to get a company bank account, for example. It's very useful in domain name disputes. It keeps you from being hassled by companies with similar names.

It's not hard to register a trademark. Costs about US$400. I have three registered trademarks myself.  

Edited by animats

On 11/24/2019 at 11:57 AM, cafekan said:

As soon as my boss has all the legal documents ready to go we can than begin on "project Slipn'nfalls viewer".  Our Fashion Jewelry trade mark is complete. Need to put the fashion show together

viewer.pnghttp://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Get_source_and_compile

Its coming from inside the Second Life

Real question is, which user base you going for?   because you mentioned paid and that's gonna get you very few users.

• Like 1

Hi, my native language is not English, it is Spanish.
I use openSim and I want to learn how to build my own viewer, particularly for use in OpenSim.
I have been told that to build a viewer I only need to have knowledge of C #,
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of C #.
I have seen in video tutorials that many features are quite similar to other programs such as javaScript (which I do have knowledge) although obviously they are different languages.

Not yet downloaded Visual Studio, because I would like someone to offer me guidance. What packages do I have to download with visual Studio? Is Visual Studio the best option or is there any other?

What I want is to be able to design my own viewfinder options, because the vast majority of options that viewfinders have are not used by me.
Has anyone tried to create a viewer and can you guide me?

3 hours ago, nikolsy said:

What I want is to be able to design my own viewfinder options, because the vast majority of options that viewfinders have are not used by me.

I have not tried to design and build a viewer from scratch. That concept is way above my technical expertise level (considering what programming skills that I can still feebly remember came in the days of BASIC, Cobol, and Algol and even then those are but a rapidly fading memory).

My suggestion is you become involved in an existing viewer project that still builds a viewer for OpenSim, such as Firestorm, Singularity, and DayTurn. Work with those people for a while to learn how the existing viewers are built and maintained. After a while you should gain the knowledge and experience to see where things can be improved to your liking to make it worth the effort to step out into your own design.

OpenSim really is in need of its own viewer. Crista Lopes worked with the Singularity team to fork a viewer for use in OpenSim called "OnLook." Its design goal was to simplify the user interface of the viewer to the point where the region server was actually controlling the UI elements presented to users. The purpose of this was to give the casual user only the UI elements they needed to see and use for the environment of the region they were visiting. If this sounds like an idea you are working on, perhaps working with the OnLook team is where you may want to be.

Edited by DilliDallagio
Taming word salad... coffee not yet enabled.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, cafekan said:

The SL store app.

Eh? what SL store?   what App?   the posts you have made are all over the place, all we know is you are going to create a viewer, you are going to charge people for it, you've been told that's not happening by some of us,  you do not tend to respond to most of us and you trade mark and use items in the naming and such that makes us go O.o  So maybe a clear and well written post explaining to us, this process and what and how you are going to be doing it.   

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

... the posts you have made are all over the place, all we know is you are going to create a viewer, you are going to charge people for it, you've been told that's not happening by some of us,  you do not tend to respond to most of us and you trade mark and use items in the naming and such that makes us go O.o  So maybe a clear and well written post explaining to us, this process and what and how you are going to be doing it.   

That's just how cafekan is...all over the place, always announcing big plans, never going anywhere with them.

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Maybe if they built one around Vulkan or DirectX.

If they had a free time limit in order to demo the viewer for like maybe a week with an option to purchase a full product key license on it so people could test it on a time trail in order to see if it works better then any of the free ones out there with all the same options and features such as Firestorm for example as well as all the viewer skins in order to tailor it to which ever viewer version you like to use then at best I may consider it. If it's a pay me lindens every month type of situation with crap all for options in order to use my viewer then no. Just no. lol 😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

On 6/12/2019 at 14:27, DilliDallagio said:

No he intentado diseñar y construir un visor desde cero. Ese concepto está muy por encima de mi nivel de experiencia técnica (teniendo en cuenta qué habilidades de programación que todavía puedo recordar débilmente vinieron en los días de BASIC, Cobol y Algol, e incluso entonces son solo una memoria que se desvanece rápidamente).

Mi sugerencia es que te involucres en un proyecto de visor existente que todavía construye un visor para OpenSim, como Firestorm, Singularity y DayTurn. Trabaje con esas personas por un tiempo para aprender cómo se construyen y mantienen los espectadores existentes. Después de un tiempo, debe obtener el conocimiento y la experiencia para ver dónde se pueden mejorar las cosas a su gusto para que valga la pena el esfuerzo de avanzar en su propio diseño.

OpenSim realmente necesita su propio visor. Crista Lopes trabajó con el equipo de Singularity para bifurcar un visor para usar en OpenSim llamado " OnLook ". Su objetivo de diseño era simplificar la interfaz de usuario del espectador hasta el punto en que el servidor de la región realmente controlaba los elementos de la IU presentados a los usuarios. El propósito de esto era dar al usuario ocasional solo los elementos de la interfaz de usuario que necesitaban ver y usar para el medio ambiente de la región que estaban visitando. Si esto suena como una idea en la que está trabajando, tal vez trabajar con el equipo de OnLook sea donde quiera estar.

thanks for the reply. 

I have downloaded OnLook viewer, and I am inside my openSim successfully. But I don't understand how to use your extra options. 
OnLook blog it seems outdated. Maybe it's a project that was done with another older version of OpenSim.

I've also been studying other options like realXtend, but this option is too strange for me, I can't find the viewer and I don't have a tutorial.

In conclusion, it seems that both projects are abandoned.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, nikolsy said:

Hi, my native language is not English, it is Spanish.
I use openSim and I want to learn how to build my own viewer, particularly for use in OpenSim.
I have been told that to build a viewer I only need to have knowledge of C #,
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of C #.
I have seen in video tutorials that many features are quite similar to other programs such as javaScript (which I do have knowledge) although obviously they are different languages.

Not yet downloaded Visual Studio, because I would like someone to offer me guidance. What packages do I have to download with visual Studio? Is Visual Studio the best option or is there any other?

The answer you are seeking is right here:

On 5/3/2011 at 10:23 PM, Peewee Musytari said:

I use this every time i have to set up my build environment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.