What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Geebus folks, I was kidding about not knowing a lot of the females in SL are males in RL.

I know, but a surprising number of people really don't seem to be prepared for it and get very angry about it.

From a friend who was sitting in a Gor sim many moons ago and despairing at the human condition: "You know every single last one of these slaves is actually a hairy, 30-stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them."

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Dano, I really think you need to get Gato to vet your posts again.

/me Totally freaks out! Why did you use that word??? Why? Now I'll not be able to function all day! :::bites Scylla's still furry toe:::

PS. Dano, ikr? Time differences. Can't leave him alone for one minute, can we?

cat no no no.gif

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

/me Totally freaks out! Why did you use that word??? Why? Now I'll not be able to function all day! :::bites Scylla's still furry toe:::

My Kitty likes the vet.  She goes quite a few times between checkups to get her nails trimmed -- cuz I suck at doing that -- and she always gets wonderful treats after the nails are done.  Even on checkup days, there's only one thing she typically hates -- that darn 'check the temperature' thing -- but otherwise she gets lots of lovin and good treats.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even on checkup days, there's only one thing she typically hates -- that darn 'check the temperature' thing -- but otherwise she gets lots of lovin and good treats.

True story... My first Grand Champion boy kitty was a big love, which made him easy to show and that helped him get his Grand. He didn't care how he was getting picked up or touched by humans, it was all good. Lots of purrs. He was fine at the vets but wouldn't necessarily purr during an exam, but get that old temp check and my oh my, he was one happy (purrvy) kitty and would purr so loudly you could hear it in the waiting area.

• Haha 3

Hmph. I actually came to this thread with an actual peeve. :::sniffs:::

You're getting the kitty posting exclusively for a while because Seicher's Forum stuff is all messed up. Notifications, like having a quote or a response, aren't working and stopped working over a week ago. Email notifications are being sent to the wrong email with, more worrisome, the wrong avatar name. Like it is supposed to forward to my gmail and should say "Seicher Rae you have a new message from..." and instead it has "Other Avatar's Name, you have a new message from..." and it gets sent to the wrong email, which then forwards to the correct one. Oh fun. Support tickets!

I need cupcakes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

some real life women use that term too. its not just a male term.

Indeed. On the internet and elsewhere,  young women have been each other "dude" for years now,  so all bets are off. Pet peeve: don't call me dude!

Some forum wag: "OK dude"  .... yeah yeah

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Like in STO (a space MMO), you have space missions and ground stuff. They're called Task Force Operations. Guess what the acronym for the Ground TFO is?! 😍

Star Trek Online?
"Cryptic Studios is an American video game developer specializing in massively multiplayer online role-playing games. It is headquartered in Los Gatos, California and is a wholly owned Perfect World subsidiary.

Oh look....who would have guessed why the acronyms?  🙄

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

No, they don't.

Yes, they really do. It's written in my constitution!

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Mentally......25 to 30

Nothing else matters! ;)

Correct answer!  (see kali..not hard is it?)  😊

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Interesting....................  I've never heard a woman use Babe to another.............perhaps it's a localised thing

It's used in parts of the UK by both sexes. TBH, I've always used it, along with "love" but have learnt to it's better not to on here! Bloody hard though!

It's a 'legitimate' "peeve"! ...It's because I'm a "boomer" innit?  😣

44 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

:::kicks litter::: 

Like I always say, "cats are so full of **it!  Bloody animals trying to tell me how to spell and pronoUnce things! Get an "Empire" and THEN you can dictate things to people!

35 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I know, but a surprising number of people really don't seem to be prepared for it and get very angry about it.

From a friend who was sitting in a Gor sim many moons ago and despairing at the human condition: "You know every single last one of these slaves is actually a hairy, 30-stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them."

I was told in the early days of the internet that there was no girls on it. It was just one big hairy guy in front of bazillions of monitors!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's not an exact science, obviously. Sometimes it's certain turns of phrase, or the position they're espousing, but it's more likely to be in the way the prose is constructed. Just the manner of self-expression. I'm a bit reluctant to give concrete examples because there will always be exceptions, but I just find that overall, at a class level, men and women speak and write differently.

<<I wrote a paragraph here about a couple of times men masquerading as women were outed on another forum I use, for no good reason since men are welcome there, but I changed my mind. IM me if you're interested.>>

I once fed two pieces of my writing into the Gender Genie. It decided one was male and one was female. If I use a gender neutral name online, I'm often assumed to be male until the conversation goes somewhere like sexual harassment, and then I'm apparently pretty convincing. 

It was a rhetorical question. Sorry I didn't make that clear.  The point being there isn't anything or anyone in this world that is infallible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Star Trek Online?
"Cryptic Studios is an American video game developer specializing in massively multiplayer online role-playing games. It is headquartered in Los Gatos, California and is a wholly owned Perfect World subsidiary.🙄

My nephew who lives in that area works there. He took me on a 50¢ tour of the place when they moved into Netflix's original facility eons ago. I Remember some of the rooms still had little signs next to them with their old logo. At the time they were doing City of Heros and were still independent --- not bought up by another company yet.

His best friend worked there too, but was hired by some company up in San Francisco on Linden Avenue.... 🤔

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Old age.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Get an "Empire" and THEN you can dictate things to people!

Little remains of British rule today across the globe, and it is mostly restricted to small island territories such as Bermuda and the Falkland Islands. However, a number of countries still have Queen Elizabeth as their head of state including New Zealand, Australia and Canada - a hangover of the Empire.  :::hurr hurr your Queen's got a hangover::: https://www.theweek.co.uk/history/93820/british-empire-how-big-was-it-and-why-did-it-collapse

Meanwhile...

usa flag.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:
3 hours ago, kiramanell said:

No, they don't.

Yes, they really do. It's written in my constitution!

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Mentally......25 to 30

Nothing else matters! ;)

Correct answer!  (see kali..not hard is it?)  😊

(bolding mine)

I think you meat Kira.  

Women tend to not like it when a man can't tell one from another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

ETA: And gentle is still human, and will be again, I'm sure. But for the moment, I want to be obeyed.

All this has gotten me thinking I should add a tag that says something like She Who Disgorges Realms of Hell...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

Geebus folks, I was kidding about not knowing a lot of the females in SL are males in RL.

For sure. I didn't realize SL also has males that are really female in RL, though. That one was.... unexpected (albeit statistically logical, of course).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Little remains of British rule today across the globe, and it is mostly restricted to small island territories such as Bermuda and the Falkland Islands. However, a number of countries still have Queen Elizabeth as their head of state including New Zealand, Australia and Canada - a hangover of the Empire.  :::hurr hurr your Queen's got a hangover::: https://www.theweek.co.uk/history/93820/british-empire-how-big-was-it-and-why-did-it-collapse

Meanwhile...

usa flag.gif

Yeah. This qualifies for another 'Ouch!' moment. 😛 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Close, but I think the guy you mean is more orange than yellow and has the three hairs on his head grown and styled into a complicated bird's nest...

Nah, I wanted to show someone with more intelligence than the Cheeto in Chief...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.