What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

99% of the time, I hate shadows added to any object.  Shadows added to an object assume that the lighting will always come from a specific direction and thus the shadow will never change/shift/etc....  Show me an item in RL where the shadow does not change throughout the day.

I have certain fancy residential homes that are fully-baked, with light and shadow baked in; and then for Day and Night settings too. Those work best when used with 'fullbright', as otherwise, indeed, shifting 'real' shadow starts to interfere. The even better ones let you remove floor shadow too.

I prefer non-fullbright stuff, though. But for ambient occlusion and such, I must admit, baked-in shadows are good. (And I usually wind up creating faux ambient occlusion for homes without it)

• Like 1

Play I ❤️ Hue too instead. Very relaxing, much colors, wow!

Pet Peeve: not having enough cupcake to shove down kittycat throats.
Pet Peeve²: Fullbright gemstones on jewelry with no goddamn option to turn that bullsh!it right the f*ck off. Yes, I AM annoyed at that. Goddamnit. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, MirandaBowers said:

Peeve from my inner fatty today: when salt and vinegar chips start to hurt your mouth before you finish the bag xD

My reaction to my very first bag of vinegar chips I got myself out of curiousity not long ago was: Why does this taste like pain?  

God, I'm a wimp. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not super sekret SL peeve:

Ultimately, the peeve ends up being "user error" but I will deny it.

Messing around with my photo setting to get a nice artsy fartsy glow effect on a very specific place. Ending that. Turning off SL. Logging back into SL a good while later, and so totally forgetting what I had done hours previously, because: cat. 

Log into the region where I am building to be met with total white, blue and green screen flares. Blindingly so. Move my avatar around to get out of whatever horror is happening. Can't. Start panicing that my less than new computer is dying. Sure that the graphic card is blowing up. Zomg! My backup laptop is dead ages ago, if I lose the desktop... Anxiety attack in RL.

:::lightbulb:::

Oh yeah. GLOW effing settings. And voila! Nice underwater scene! Whew. Uncomfortable laugh at my stupidity. Followed by texture editing the glow down to nothing on all of the effing underwater plants.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Ultimately, the peeve ends up being "user error" but I will deny it.

Oh, I am SO glad to know that I am not the only one. That's such an embarrassing use error that I have hesitated to admit how often I do the same thing. My most common variation on the theme is to increase my draw distance dramatically to take a scenic photo and then wonder, later, why the heck everything is super laggy.  My anxiety level goes through the roof until the light bulb slowly starts to brighten over my head and I think .... "Oh crap.  Not again...."  🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

My most common variation on the theme is to increase my draw distance dramatically to take a scenic photo and then wonder, later, why the heck everything is super laggy.  My anxiety level goes through the roof until the light bulb slowly starts to brighten over my head and I think .... "Oh crap.  Not again...."  🙄

That is the one that I do, way too often! "Why can't I move? What is wrong with my computer??? Ohhh, DD = 1,000, that might be an issue." D'oh!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That is the one that I do, way too often! "Why can't I move? What is wrong with my computer??? Ohhh, DD = 1,000, that might be an issue." D'oh!

The one I do most frequently is with depth of field. I only have that on for photos. I often use a very tight DOF so that the foreground and background are blurred. Log in to be met with some kind of bad trip blur! Move around. Get dizzy in RL. Luckily this one I quickly recognize and will immediately swear, roll my eyes and change it. Quickly realize is not the same thing as "immediately" realize, so there's always that brief freak out that the computer is broken and/or my eyes have finally gone from farsighted to legally blind.

• Like 5

Pet Peeve: Seeing that since the trucking companies started making lots of money and gas is cheap, they've stripped off all of that aerodynamic stuff that was intended to reduce emissions. Why can't they continue to reduce emissions now? They were already doing it without the extra money. It can't be based on that. With all the extra money, they can buy even more of the aerodynamic stuff if it's broken. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, I am SO glad to know that I am not the only one. That's such an embarrassing use error that I have hesitated to admit how often I do the same thing. My most common variation on the theme is to increase my draw distance dramatically to take a scenic photo and then wonder, later, why the heck everything is super laggy.  My anxiety level goes through the roof until the light bulb slowly starts to brighten over my head and I think .... "Oh crap.  Not again...."  🙄

I not only increase the draw distance for the picture, but I max out pretty much all of the graphics settings........... and then totally forget to reset them. 

Also, Firestorm allows you to put various functions on the bottom and/or side tool bar.  The one for Show Friends Only has a checkbox to make it stick after TP.  Every now and then I accidentally click that box and then wonder later why the hell I can't see anyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Pet peeve: I often read posts by taking a quick look at the avatar picture in the circle over there <--- to ascertain who is saying what.

Jeebus @Scylla Rhiadra and @kiramanell ONE of you needs to change your photo! They are both near black backgrounds, dramatically dark faces, and I'm getting confused!

For me, it's usually easy: when I read a post, and half the words therein aren't on my active vocabulary, it's Scylla! 🤩

I can see how the dark might be hard, though. I was going to change it soon anyway. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

For me, it's usually easy: when I read a post, and half the words therein aren't on my active vocabulary, it's Scylla! 🤩

Oh sure, Scylla messes with your vocabulary. For ten years all I've heard is how Scylla is great at this, Scylla is a goddess, Scylla knows all the things, Scylla is never "acrimonious much". Scylla. Scylla. Scylla! :::pouts:::   :::tries to think of a big word. can't. because: cat :::

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Rolig, where do you post your pics? Do you post your pics? Flickr?

To add to Rolig's modest reply above: Her photos in the Linden Homes Photo Thread are accompanied by the wonderful travelogues she writes as she tours Bellisseria. If you haven't checked them out yet, you will want to do so, because her stories are always entertaining and very well-written. :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

To add to Rolig's modest reply above: Her photos in the Linden Homes Photo Thread are accompanied by the wonderful travelogues she writes as she tours Bellisseria. If you haven't checked them out yet, you will want to do so, because her stories are always entertaining and very well-written. :) 

Things I have learned from an admittedly quick perusal of @Rolig Loon's photo travelogues:

• Rolig has an expert eye for landscape and the distinctive lay of place -- the genius loci
  • Rolig tells a compelling story
  • Rolig has toured a great deal more of Bellisseria than I have; I clearly need to get out more
  • Rolig takes beautiful pictures
  • Rolig goes topless a whole lot more than I do

Actually, the thread as a whole is a joy -- I was vaguely aware of its existence, and had even looked at it briefly at the beginning of the LH adventures, but I need to spend some time on it, obviously. Sylvia, you've taken some lovely pics too!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Now I need to go visit that place again. Haven't been there in ages. Thx.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, the thread as a whole is a joy

It truly is!  Many people have posted their own scenic views of Bellisseria in that thread.  Perusing it -- the thread has become very long at this point -- is a great way to get an overview of the various sights of the continent.  There are some super photographers posting in it.  They've set a high standard.

Thank you for your kind comments on my travelogues, @Scylla Rhiadra.  I blush.  They're my own excuse for wandering as much as my way of sharing quirky personal images of Bellisseria, which is a beautiful part of SL.  I've been doing those travelogues at least weekly for the better part of a year now and can't imagine running out of day trips to share.  The story depends on my mood as much as anything, and that also helps dictate which of four personas does the narrative and shows up in the photos.  Swapping personas is also a sneaky way of keeping myself from presenting Bellisseria through a single lens.  And yes, wardrobe is part of persona.  I'm pleased that you enjoyed your quick perusal.

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.