An 'honest' view of SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was going to quote a lot of people and decided there is no need. So I'll say this:

SL is all about dreams; some dreams are more hopeful and others really creepy. If you open your eyes as wide as you can to see all there is in the world then you will see all the unseemly, undesired. If you narrow your view then you will see what you want to see.

In a world, as described the way the OP describes it, you can hide under a virtual rock or contribute. What and how you contribute is what makes this place what it is. My contribution is to try to be a wonderful, inviting bright light among all the dark rubbish. It is why the little dream (as weird as it may be to some) is now a reality: a place in the virtual landscape that I want to share with anyone and everyone; my place is open to all. If there were an opposite to a "security orb" that doesn't push everyone away, but rather pulls people in then I would use it. profile, the very first thing I proclaim is that I am always happy. Well, I really am. And the best way to do that is to ignore all the negatives and *create* more positives. :D

(Okay, typical forum hiccup - for some reason those two sentences ended up reversed in colors. And I LAFFFF Because anything SL is an *adventure* :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

At least I had the decency to find a practically useless patch of hillside/cliffside for my skybox flat :P

No seriously it was like a 60 degree incline, no one is building anything worthwhile on that

Amazing! You've discovered something that can be done in RL but not in SL! 

glass-elevator-multiple-levels-slope-houmodern-exterior.jpg

xD

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I was going to quote a lot of people and decided there is no need. So I'll say this:

SL is all about dreams; some dreams are more hopeful and others really creepy. If you open your eyes as wide as you can to see all there is in the world then you will see all the unseemly, undesired. If you narrow your view then you will see what you want to see.

In a world, as described the way the OP describes it, you can hide under a virtual rock or contribute. What and how you contribute is what makes this place what it is. My contribution is to try to be a wonderful, inviting bright light among all the dark rubbish. It is why the little dream (as weird as it may be to some) is now a reality: a place in the virtual landscape that I want to share with anyone and everyone; my place is open to all. If there were an opposite to a "security orb" that doesn't push everyone away, but rather pulls people in then I would use it. profile, the very first thing I proclaim is that I am always happy. Well, I really am. And the best way to do that is to ignore all the negatives and *create* more positives. :D

(Okay, typical forum hiccup - for some reason those two sentences ended up reversed in colors. And I LAFFFF Because anything SL is an *adventure* :D

Hey Whirlz? Are the rocks I used to live under while on the team still around? I'm thinking maybe I should move back under. 😇

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, animats said:

Skyboxes are a thing in SL only because the land pricing is so bad. Sansar doesn't have, or need, skyboxes. SineSpace doesn't have, or need, skyboxes. High Fidelity doesn't have, or need, skyboxes.

Given that a skybox uses essentially the same amount of land as a house at ground level, an explanation is in order.

Skyboxes are usually used because people want isolation. Red Light District, IMVU and Playstation Home use/used the equivalent of skyboxes for their "rooms."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Skyboxes are a thing in SL only because the land pricing is so bad.

That makes no sense at all...

The price for the parcel is the same regardless if you build your Ideal Prim Hovel at ground level so as to be annoyed by wandering noobs, or 3000 m up where you can have some privacy...

1 hour ago, animats said:

Sansar doesn't have, or need, skyboxes. SineSpace doesn't have, or need, skyboxes. High Fidelity doesn't have, or need, skyboxes.

Yeah places with no people don't need skyboxes, or houses, or to be switched on...

SL has skyboxes because, people don't want clueless console trash gamer noobs wandering in and asking the inhabitants if they are "dummy avatars and npcs" before whining about "bots  and alts"...

It's sickening that *some* people can only complain that other people don't want their homes to be public infohubs, filled with passing strangers...

<madlander asshat mode>

How dare people live in a skybox, or put a house on a high altitude platform, or put up banlines...

EVERYONE should be forced to live at ground level in the Madlands, preferably in one of those empty useless fugly 10 year old prim-waste urban zones, with their homes & furniture set to welcome passing urban rp trash...

Oh wait... </madlander asshat mode>

Let's not and say we did...

59 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Oh wait... </madlander asshat mode>

is there a </forum asshat mode> ?

Edited by Blush Bravin
I know this leaves me open to the obvious reply .. but honestly I get so tired of the madlander label ... it's really super annoying .. but then I guess that's how you mean it to be.

The people. Always the people.

That's where the creativity and everything that makes SL worthwhile comes from.

It's what distinguishes SL from the other cold, sterile, better-rendered and more efficiently-coded virtual environments out there.

Without the human, none of this would be worth the screen space it's rendered on.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The people. Always the people.

That's where the creativity and everything that makes SL worthwhile comes from.

It's what distinguishes SL from the other cold, sterile, better-rendered and more efficiently-coded virtual environments out there.

Without the human, none of this would be worth the screen space it's rendered on.

SL is like Soylent Green!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I set up a little park/hangout/cuddle/chill/dance area on my roadside parcel ground level which used to get used by a small amount of people each day which made me happy. Until someone bought the next parcel an slapped a big black box rental company office type thing blocking most of it and now its rare to see a visitor :/ 

i never get why people with commercial aspirations don't try to make something that is in sympathy with the neighbours existing builds

like you have a little public chill place which attracts some people. A real estate agent sees that you do get some visitor traffic. They think they might be able to get some of that traffic to view some of their offerings. So they put an agency office next door. Because not sympathetic build then nobody comes to your place anymore. So the real estate agent gains nothing positive from this. If anything, all they get is the annoyance of the people who used to come to your place

had they built something that sympathetically flowed between their parcel and your parcel then you and they win, so would the visitors to either or both. Instead you get the Totes Bananas Real Estate Company as a neighbour. With company mission statement: Going broke in SL and dunno why

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

just becasue i wanna annoy with christmassy sorta pics when we really are not sick of seeing christmas stuff in RL for the past 3 months already ..........my view of SL, and at only 64m cos frankly if i need to see beyond that, i know how to move my cam without moving my avi (yes avi is lazy but fingers sometimes get nosey)

a6d262ba34818d074779578782d85c3a.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.