Halloween - Bored with it already ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why pay attention if SL sim owners or RL stores have Halloween or Christmas decor up "too early".

Just don't buy any, does it offend you just that it exists?

It is "Halloween shaming" in my home country, like "Why should we adapt American holidays, all American is bad for us and will ruin our traditions". They come up with horrible examples of teens who egg down houses and frighten elderly people. What does that have in common with the supercute kids that only reach up to my ribs? I have to urge them to take two pieces of candy, they are so well behaved that they don't dare to take two. So poor kids don't dare to go Trick and Treat. I buy lots of candy and nearly no one comes, even if I place out fake pumpkins and lights down at the garage. All who walk by can see that I am ready for visits.

It is not that they dislike all new culture, but American culture. Baaad America.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Why pay attention if SL sim owners or RL stores have Halloween or Christmas decor up "too early".

It is "Halloween shaming" in my home country, like "Why should we adapt American holidays, all American is bad for us and will ruin our traditions". They come up with horrible examples of teens who egg down houses and frighten elderly people. What does that have in common with the supercute kids that only reach up to my ribs? I have to urge them to take two pieces of candy, they are so well behaved that they don't dare to take two. So poor kids don't dare to go Trick and Treat. I buy lots of candy and nearly no one comes, even if I place out fake pumpkins and lights down at the garage. All who walk by can see that I am ready for visits.

It is not that they dislike all new culture, but American culture. Baaad America.

why is it when people make lists of the most terrible  countries in the world America makes it high up in the list, but if you ask someone that really lives in a terrible country  where they would love to live, america is at the top of the list 

assuming of course of they wont be thrown in jail for giving an honest answer

noooo peoples republic of poopistan is wonderful i no want to live anywhere else

Edited by Phorumities
fixed a bad word

6 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

why is it when people make lists of the most terrible  countries in the world America makes it high up in the list, but if you ask someone that really lives in a terrible country  where they would love to live, america is at the top of the list 

assuming of course of they wont be thrown in jail for giving an honest answer

noooo peoples republic of poopistan is wonderful i no want to live anywhere else

Please refrain from abducting threads - open your own patriotic thread instead.

Thanks!

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Please refrain from abducting threads - open your own patriotic thread instead.

Well, in an unusual defense of Phorumities, she was simply responding to a statement made by another.  Most people that complain about Phorumities' responding to off-topic statements (i.e. abducting threads) will themselves do so at times.  The biggest difference is that Phorumities usually derails for politically related topics, which many of us prefer to avoid discussing here.

Thus the better request would have been "please don't bring politics into things again".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Offend - no, of course not. But it does limit my choice for these months a lot and I will express my unhappiness with it. I have nothing against halloween (and even like the theme, much more than xmas one for example), like I already said. It's the stretched out release window for those items that bothers me. And no, you can't just ignore it either, if you're into shopping.

I bet you also would be unhappy if all your favorite local restaurants/cafes in rl decided to serve only fast food for 2 months just because it became trendy for some reason. "Don't go there, don't buy it and go elsewhere" works for such example, too, but you'd be left with suboptimal choices, quality, time and distance wise. That's what I feel when I see halloween releases as early as early september, xmas one at late october and valentine ones right after the new year.  And it has nothing to do with any country's culture either.

47 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

I bet you also would be unhappy if all your favorite local restaurants/cafes in rl decided to serve only fast food for 2 months just because it became trendy for some reason. "Don't go there, don't buy it and go elsewhere" works for such example, too, but you'd be left with suboptimal choices, quality, time and distance wise. That's what I feel when I see halloween releases as early as early september, xmas one at late october and valentine ones right after the new year.  And it has nothing to do with any country's culture either.

What sims set up for Halloween in September? There are plenty of stores that dont offer Halloween stuff in October. Is it really THIS big of a deal that stores sell Halloween stuff in October? What do you expect them to sell, Valentines day things? Good lord. Enough, we get it, you want to control what happens in SL. You don't want anything that you don't like. Seriously, do you stop shopping at RL stores because they set up early? Or do you buy the things you need anyway that aren't holiday themed? Its like you guys think the non holiday stuff vanishes fro stores during a holiday. Its all still there, next month will have new stuff.. get over yourselves. 

• Like 2

Well actually we buy the other stuff... telling in a Forum is a way to make our opinion public. I do not care for halloween items they are mostly limited to once a year and recently even started to be ugly (splatter instead of spooky) and besides that we get enough of that crap with hunts for free...

Ranting about useless US holiday decorations here (and to a point all holiday decorations) is nothing else than saying "Offer us stuff we value instead of what you do now and we might actualy buy something from you, dear merchants."

Autumn has more it than the scary stuff. Many stores do regular Autumn stuff too.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

Ranting about useless US holiday decorations

All Hallows eve is one of 4 major Holidays to Pagans around the world. I dont find the decorations useless. Fairly sure you wouldn't like your holiday decorations called useless either. 

6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

"Offer us stuff we value isntead of what you do now and we might actualy buy something from you, dear merchants."

Ah yes, the customer dictating what a merchant creates. Personally, i have no use for anyone that orders me what i should create. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, in an unusual defense of Phorumities, she was simply responding to a statement made by another.  Most people that complain about Phorumities' responding to off-topic statements (i.e. abducting threads) will themselves do so at times.  The biggest difference is that Phorumities usually derails for politically related topics, which many of us prefer to avoid discussing here.

Thus the better request would have been "please don't bring politics into things again".

if people will stop referring to America in a negative way, I will stop responding.

if people wanna keep politics out of the forums they simply need to stop bringing politics into the forums.

Edited by Phorumities
spelling

17 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What sims set up for Halloween in September? There are plenty of stores that dont offer Halloween stuff in October. Is it really THIS big of a deal that stores sell Halloween stuff in October? What do you expect them to sell, Valentines day things? Good lord. Enough, we get it, you want to control what happens in SL. You don't want anything that you don't like. Seriously, do you stop shopping at RL stores because they set up early? Or do you buy the things you need anyway that aren't holiday themed? Its like you guys think the non holiday stuff vanishes fro stores during a holiday. Its all still there, next month will have new stuff.. get over yourselves. 

Some monthly events start to fill with halloween related stuff in september, because their "reset time" is around first 1.5 weeks of the month, so they don't want to miss on late september/early october halloween sales I guess. And yes, lots of big names go after the trend of the month, which does limit the amount of quality "normal releases" by a lot.

And if you wonder about what I buy in RL that much - I actually spend less during xmas time even including gifts budget, because there's only that many xmas related decor and things I need and I don't tend to replace all of it every single year. Same goes for SL. I still shop, I even buy halloween things sometimes and I already said that there's still some non halloween (or xmas/valentines/etc) items around, but I spend significantly less during such months, simply because there's oversaturation with themed products in those 1.5 - 2 months. So I'd suggest to apply your last suggestion to yourself and get over yourself when people voicing their opinions (in a civil way too, not the "your celebration of choice sucks, who need such trash in sl and in rl").

And sure, it's your SL, your time and your creations (if you make anything at all), so if you want to create and sell xmas items during spring and valentines things at august, by all means, do so. But don't act surprised when some people will find it silly and will share their opinions with others, on a forum (you know, a place for discussions and such) nontheless.

39 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Ah yes, the customer dictating what a merchant creates. Personally, i have no use for anyone that orders me what i should create. 

They call it the Free Market, ...

Of course you can offer whatever you like - as I am free to vote with my feet. Communication helps evaluating a market, but again you are not forced to communicate...

• Like 1

Is there more demonic and creepy stuff during All Soul's Night or Halloween in America, compared to other countries?

It seems to me there is, and I wonder if it's because of the fire and brimstone kind of evangelical Christianity we have here. Some might rebel against that with their demon obsessed fixations..

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Is there more demonic and creepy stuff during All Soul's Night or Halloween in America, compared to other countries?

It seems to me there is, and I wonder if it's because of the fire and brimstone kind of evangelical Christianity we have here. Some might rebel against that with their demon obsessed fixations..

It depends on where you live. Here in FL..two major holloween things (Busch Gardens and Universal Studios), plus whatever local stuff (haunted house in the alley of my neighborhood).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Without knowing the traditions of all nations in the world, I think the pumpkins and the creepy part are all American, although they've been creeping into the habits elsewhere too recently.

"Fire and brimstone christians" who are more interested in the blood and gore than in Jesus, is not all American though so there may not be a connection.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

When I was growing up movies associated with Halloween were almost always rather benign ghost stories. Granted I'm old! In the last 20 years or so most of the movies associated with Halloween in the USA have become those with demonic overtones or slasher movies. We still have the odd Halloween tale that is suitable for young children fortunately. I'm more put off by TV commercials starting in late September for the new movie releases. This year though is an election year so we are also being bombarded with political ads, which are more irritating than any of the Halloween movies. IMO.

So being bombarded with all this and the blood and gore that is oftentimes associated with Halloween in SL as well, tends to make me even more reactive to it. Do I think that my opinion on Halloween should affect anyone else? Absolutely not, but I think we have every right to voice the fact that there are aspects of Halloween that we don't particularly like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure what it is about SL's culture that makes so many people allergic to feedback. It's this "reverse entitlement"/"entitlement paranoia" that's so toxic and yet so rife here, that I've never seen out in the real world with such vitriol. It's bizarre.

Look I get it, with only a handful of exceptions, you can do whatever you want here. You can create whatever you want, sell whatever you want for whatever price you want, and say whatever you want. No one has suggested changing that. But those freedoms go both ways. You can make your own decisions; and I can call those decisions stupid. You don't have to listen, of course, but I can still say it.

Every time a thread here touches the issues of a sim owner's choices, or a creator's decisions, there are those that immediately start churning out the same tired lines. "If you don't like it don't buy it", "why should you care what they do", "don't dictate what creators should make" - and the lines are usually borderline irrelevant. No one here has suggested a Linden Lab enforced ban on Halloween decor or clothing; because that would be a ludicrous suggestion that would rightfully be shot down. What this thread contains is feedback and suggestions, and while disagreeing with said feedback is perfectly legitimate, screeching about "muh freedoms" as a response is ridiculous and unnecessary. Just ignore the feedback, or provide your own if you disagree with it.

As an on-topic example, a sim I (used to) visit often for photographs did a total makeover for Halloween in mid September. It has a couple of large stone buildings, with a good sized forested outdoors section, really quite beautiful. Now all of that is covered in cobwebs and pumpkins, skeletons and blood decals... all of which makes the sim useless for me, as I have no intention of doing any Halloween-themed photos. That decision affects me. Of course, the sim owner is well within her rights to do so; and I am well within my rights to let her know that, while the redesign was very skillfully done (genuine compliment), it means that I can't make use of the sim until the planned reversion takes place. That's called feedback.

And the sim owner/creator can look at that feedback, add it to the other feedback (positive and negative) received, look at the metrics involved (visitor count for this sim owner, sales figures for a creator) and then use that to help inform their future decisions. That's how a free market functions. Far too many people seem to think that a free market means that creators are exempt from feedback and criticism. They are not. They can individually choose to ignore it, of course, but that's not for unconnected posters to police on their behalf. It's just obnoxious.

Here endeth the sermon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm not sure what it is about SL's culture that makes so many people allergic to feedback. It's this "reverse entitlement"/"entitlement paranoia" that's so toxic and yet so rife here, that I've never seen out in the real world with such vitriol. It's bizarre.

Look I get it, with only a handful of exceptions, you can do whatever you want here. You can create whatever you want, sell whatever you want for whatever price you want, and say whatever you want. No one has suggested changing that. But those freedoms go both ways. You can make your own decisions; and I can call those decisions stupid. You don't have to listen, of course, but I can still say it.

Every time a thread here touches the issues of a sim owner's choices, or a creator's decisions, there are those that immediately start churning out the same tired lines. "If you don't like it don't buy it", "why should you care what they do", "don't dictate what creators should make" - and the lines are usually borderline irrelevant. No one here has suggested a Linden Lab enforced ban on Halloween decor or clothing; because that would be a ludicrous suggestion that would rightfully be shot down. What this thread contains is feedback and suggestions, and while disagreeing with said feedback is perfectly legitimate, screeching about "muh freedoms" as a response is ridiculous and unnecessary. Just ignore the feedback, or provide your own if you disagree with it.

As an on-topic example, a sim I (used to) visit often for photographs did a total makeover for Halloween in mid September. It has a couple of large stone buildings, with a good sized forested outdoors section, really quite beautiful. Now all of that is covered in cobwebs and pumpkins, skeletons and blood decals... all of which makes the sim useless for me, as I have no intention of doing any Halloween-themed photos. That decision affects me. Of course, the sim owner is well within her rights to do so; and I am well within my rights to let her know that, while the redesign was very skillfully done (genuine compliment), it means that I can't make use of the sim until the planned reversion takes place. That's called feedback.

And the sim owner/creator can look at that feedback, add it to the other feedback (positive and negative) received, look at the metrics involved (visitor count for this sim owner, sales figures for a creator) and then use that to help inform their future decisions. That's how a free market functions. Far too many people seem to think that a free market means that creators are exempt from feedback and criticism. They are not. They can individually choose to ignore it, of course, but that's not for unconnected posters to police on their behalf. It's just obnoxious.

Here endeth the sermon.

I think the major issue people have with these types of treads is the whole Twitter/Facebook spout off about what ever pops in your head attitude that is so prevalent these days. Seriously, OK fine OP you don't like Halloween decorations, did you really need to make a thread about it? Did it make you feel better? I mean really, its along the same lines as the "LOOK AT ME I DID _____ TODAY!!" posts on facebook and twitter. No one cares! "LOOK AT MY DINNER!!" No one cares! "I HATE HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS!" No one cares! Seriously, there comes a time when you just have to not post every thing that pops in your head. I don't like the fact that every single radio station plays xmas music the month of December, do i start a thread about it, no. Why? NO ONE CARES!! This whole, my feelings are more important than yours BS needs to stop. 

ETA: Feedback isn't complaining about a holiday decorations, thats personal choice. You can complain all you want about Halloween decorations, Xmas decorations and the like, they wont go away. Feedback is saying that a store is set up poorly and you cant find anything. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 3

Autumn, especially in the past, was a very scary time for humankind. The seasons were changing from a time of abundance due to the harvesting of food that ensures survival, to a time when nature would die along with the food supply, and our very survival was at stake.
Ceremonies develped to acknowledge these passages and provide meaning and comfort, as death is certainly a difficult aspect of life to integrate successfully.

My theory is that the more a culture is unable to accept death the more bizarre their Autumn celebrations become. I think some countries in Western society have a hard time accepting death. Some even think we will overcome death through technology.
I compare our Halloween celebrations in the U.S. with those in Mexico, evidenced in the lovely movie 'Coco', where death is just seen as a part of life. The same with Native American traditions where death is not made into some negative, gory production as it is in some Western societies.

The excessive demon stuff in the U.S. just adds another layer to the mystery...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.