Halloween - Bored with it already ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Besides the 4th of July, Halloween must rank as one of the most tedious times of the Second Life calendar year for people who are not from america.

Freebies, group gifts, hunts, and event items are as close to useless and unwearable as can be and at time of writing we are still a week and a half away.

There are over 7 billion people who inhabit the earth, outside of america.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

Besides the 4th of July, Halloween must rank as one of the most tedious times of the Second Life calendar year for people who are not from america.

Freebies, group gifts, hunts, and event items are as close to useless and unwearable as can be and at time of writing we are still a week and a half away.

Must admit, I haven't bothered decorating the sim or even my house this year.  As for RL,  we don't make much fuss either.  The youngest is 12 now and not bothered 

24 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Do you hate Christmas too?

I'm sure its terribly tedious for all the non-Christians in Second Life.

Well, I guess Christmas is an interesting thing. Its one of the "christian holidays" that is most well-known to be stolen. Many old european cultures celebrated their own holidays around that time of the year and when Christianity took over, it was easier to just replace what is celebrated instead of taking a holiday away from the common people. And ironically that history is well represented in todays Christmas, as there are so many traditions and symbols in and around it, that aren't christian at all. I'm an Atheist and my family is not religious either and I love Christmas. I enjoy the tree, the decoration, the food, not having to go to work and presents. When I was a child the big old dude with the white beard and the red and white clothes had the presents, not some little Jesus.

Back to topic: Halloween wasn't really around, when I was a child. My first introduction to the holiday were american cartoons, because most had at least one Halloween episode. Today retailers try to push the holiday further and you can go to Halloween partys. In some regions kids dress up and ask for candy. But you can feel that its artificial and not deeply rooted in society. Maybe that will change with time, when more and more people grow up knowing what Halloween is and celebrating it with their own children. I don't have anything against it...not even against pumpkins. I see it as a potential barrier to keep snowmen and other winter/christmas decoration at bay in October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a "no opinion"(my own "religion" which states I generally don't care either way), but I like Halloween and Christmas, Halloween because I like spooky stuff, and Christmas because my family celebrates it and it is my heritage, but because it is also fun.

What is wrong with people celebrating what they enjoy? Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others shouldn't. As you stated "There are over 7 billion people who inhabit the earth", you do have to share it with other people.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Do you hate Christmas too?

I'm sure its terribly tedious for all the non-Christians in Second Life.

I LOVE Giftmass!, the Noob Sacrifices to the Dark Gods of the Grid, presents, drunken parties, presents, Hunt the Gorean, presents, the smell of missionaries roasting on an open fire, presents...

But then Orgytober, Naughtyvember and Decadentember are my favorite time of year...

The whole thing with the "mythical jewish terrorist" cult is a bit tedious though... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Hallowe'en is marked to some extent in the UK, and has been for, well, a long time. What I find tedious is the emphasis on pumpkins.  Pumpkins everywhere!  I don't like them, and the variety generally used isn't native to the UK.  grumble grumble

Garnet, are there celebrations of Guy Fawkes Day in SL? I'd actually pay an entrance fee to attend a bonfire night. I might even give a penny for the Guy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Halloween wasn't really around, when I was a child. My first introduction to the holiday were american cartoons, because most had at least one Halloween episode. Today retailers try to push the holiday further and you can go to Halloween partys. In some regions kids dress up and ask for candy. But you can feel that its artificial and not deeply rooted in society.

Oh, it's deeply rooted.  All Saints Day, or All Hallows Day, has been on the calendar of the Christian church since the early 600's.  The evening before that day is All Hallows Eve, or Hallows Eve, shortened to "Hallow E'en" or the modern Halloween.  Halloween incorporates Druidical and Celtic legends and symbology, as well as symbols of the harvest, which predate Christianity.  But the end of the harvest has been celebrated by people long before that.  Most cultures celebrate at least four major holidays, at the turning points of the year...the winter solstice (Christmas), the vernal equinox (Easter), the summer solstice, and the autumnal equinox (Halloween/Feast of All Saints).

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Magnek Fang said:

What do you mean she can't wear that stuff outside of Halloween? It's a state of mind.

The lippy I'm wearing in my forum profile pic is a halloween dollarbie called "Pumpkin Spice"...

;) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, it's deeply rooted.  All Saints Day, or All Hallows Day, has been on the calendar of the Christian church since the early 600's.  The evening before that day is All Hallows Eve, or Hallows Eve, shortened to "Hallow E'en" or the modern Halloween.  Halloween incorporates Druidical and Celtic legends and symbology, as well as symbols of the harvest, which predate Christianity.  But the end of the harvest has been celebrated by people long before that.  Most cultures celebrate at least four major holidays, at the turning points of the year...the winter solstice (Christmas), the vernal equinox (Easter), the summer solstice, and the autumnal equinox (Halloween/Feast of All Saints).

theres May Day, the first day of summer in the old reckoning also known as Beltane, but the commies have a lock on that one now.

Samhain (halloween) is the start of winter

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think they meant “not deeply rooted in THEIR society”, not necessarily yours or mine.

The insinuation that it is an American tradition was implied, which it clearly is not. Of course with capitalism anything that can be marketed to increase income will be. So we have the full swing adoption of a holiday born in the UK. Personally I look forward to October 31st every year, both in RL and SL, because it signifies the end of the Halloween deluge. I'm not a fan of anything having to do with the occult or horror images, but I do love autumn. So I embrace the idea of warm earth tones, falling leaves, and pumpkins in all shapes and sizes.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

A quick google shows that a lot of those "over 7 billion people outside of America" apparently celebrate Halloween in one form or another:

image.png.63b2c221e2c72b84326b1b7b4b4ed709.png

Though most articles do attribute the extreme commercialization of it (along with almost all other holidays) to American capitalism - always out to make a buck, however and wherever.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

UK. Personally I look forward to October 31st every year, both in RL and SL, because it signifies the end of the Halloween deluge. I'm not a fan of anything having to do with the occult or horror images, but I do love autumn. So I embrace the idea of warm earth tones, falling leaves, and pumpkins in all shapes and sizes.

I remember you mentioned not liking the movie The Exorcist, and that you wished you had not seen it. Me too...that movie scared the hell out of me and I still freak out when I hear a window knock!

Why are you afraid of the occult though, as I don't associate that with horror.....looking at the definition it is:

OCCULT: supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I remember you mentioned not liking the movie The Exorcist, and that you wished you had not seen it. Me too...that movie scared the hell out of me and I still freak out when I hear a window knock!

Why are you afraid of the occult though, as I don't associate that with horror.....looking at the definition it is:

OCCULT: supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena.

Never said I was afraid of the occult. I do not wish to be a participant in anything having to do with the occult. My choice. :)

synonyms:

the supernatural, the paranormal, supernaturalism, magic, black magic, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, wizardry, the black arts, occultism, diabolism, devil worship, devilry, voodoo, hoodoo, white magic, witchery, mysticism

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Never said I was afraid of the occult. I do not wish to be a participant in anything having to do with the occult. My choice. :)

I never meant to imply it wasn't your choice...or that there was anything wrong with what you'd choose to do...was just wondering why you felt that way...

Some of the occult only relates to going deeper into mysterious aspects of life (some of that is darker, and simply a fact of reality), while other definitions denote a worship of evil (the latter is where I draw the line myself).

2 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

As has been already mentioned, Halloween is not just a us holiday.. How do you feel about Thanksgiving? Columbus day? Martin Luther King Day? Valentine's Day? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.