Halloween - Bored with it already ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:
46 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm not sure what it is about SL's culture that makes so many people allergic to feedback.

I think that's more general internet culture than SL specific.

lol some days I think people log onto the internet just so they can disagree with something..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:
46 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm not sure what it is about SL's culture that makes so many people allergic to feedback.

I think that's more general internet culture than SL specific.

People are triggered rather easily when others disagree. 

E44634CD-0F34-4E34-A2C4-2A17EE41AED8.jpeg

48 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Every time a thread here touches the issues of a sim owner's choices, or a creator's decisions, there are those that immediately start churning out the same tired lines. "If you don't like it don't buy it", "why should you care what they do", "don't dictate what creators should make" - and the lines are usually borderline irrelevant. No one here has suggested a Linden Lab enforced ban on Halloween decor or clothing; because that would be a ludicrous suggestion that would rightfully be shot down. What this thread contains is feedback and suggestions, and while disagreeing with said feedback is perfectly legitimate, screeching about "muh freedoms" as a response is ridiculous and unnecessary. Just ignore the feedback, or provide your own if you disagree with it.

I agree, to use that line right off the bat...."if you don't like it just don't buy it" is unnecessary and can demonstrate an unwillingness to accept valid feedback from another. And I would probably accept your feedback on sims.

However, sometimes when people give the "if you don't like it" response it's because they are at the end of their rope and feel the person giving feedback is unable to see their viewpoint at all, or that they are assuming more 'ownership' of the sim than they have a right to.

I was a very weary nature area/park sim owner at one time, and the 'feedback' was at times very frequent and given by people who had no empathy. So I totally understand this sometimes heavy-handed response from sim owners who feel their rights are being violated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Autumn, especially in the past, was a very scary time for humankind. The seasons were changing from a time of abundance due to the harvesting of food that ensures survival, to a time when nature would die along with the food supply, and our very survival was at stake.
Ceremonies develped to acknowledge these passages and provide meaning and comfort, as death is certainly a difficult aspect of life to integrate successfully.

My theory is that the more a culture is unable to accept death the more bizarre their Autumn celebrations become. I think some countries in Western society have a hard time accepting death. Some even think we will overcome death through technology.
I compare our Halloween celebrations in the U.S. with those in Mexico, evidenced in the lovely movie 'Coco', where death is just seen as a part of life. The same with Native American traditions where death is not made into some negative, gory production as it is in some Western societies.

The excessive demon stuff in the U.S. just adds another layer to the mystery...

You are confusing two different holidays. Halloween was stolen from the Pagan holiday Samhain. Which circled around the end of the harvest and beginning of fall/winter. 

Dia de Los Muertos is the Mexican day of the dead celebration which was originally celebrated at the beginning of summer. It gradually moved to the end of summer and lined up with the All Hallows Eve celebration. It is a very different holiday. They celebrate a loved ones life on that day rather than on the day they actually died like Europeans and people in the US do. The "demon stuff in the US" is movies, which have gotten gorier and more violent as teh years have passed. It has nothing to do with the actual holiday. 

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

When I was growing up movies associated with Halloween were almost always rather benign ghost stories. Granted I'm old! In the last 20 years or so most of the movies associated with Halloween in the USA have become those with demonic overtones or slasher movies. We still have the odd Halloween tale that is suitable for young children fortunately. I'm more put off by TV commercials starting in late September for the new movie releases. This year though is an election year so we are also being bombarded with political ads, which are more irritating than any of the Halloween movies. IMO.

So being bombarded with all this and the blood and gore that is oftentimes associated with Halloween in SL as well, tends to make me even more reactive to it. Do I think that my opinion on Halloween should affect anyone else? Absolutely not, but I think we have every right to voice the fact that there are aspects of Halloween that we don't particularly like.

Just need to point out that horror movies have always typically been released around Halloween in the US. the 80's were huge about the demonic/slasher movies. That was almost 40 years ago. 

What benign ghost stories are you talking about? Nosferatu, wolfman, psycho, House on haunted hill, Pit and the pendulum? All movies before 1965.. There are plenty more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree, to use that line right off the bat...."if you don't like it just don't buy it" is unnecessary and can demonstrate an unwillingness to accept valid feedback from another. And I would probably accept your feedback on sims.

However, sometimes when people give the "if you don't like it" response it's because they are at the end of their rope and feel the person giving feedback is unable to see their viewpoint at all, or that they are assuming more 'ownership' of the sim than they have a right to.

I was a very weary nature area/park sim owner at one time, and the 'feedback' was at times very frequent and given by people who had no empathy. So I totally understand this sometimes heavy-handed response from sim owners who feel their rights are being violated.

Ok, so if someone were to start a thread with, 'I HATE RED CLOTHING" wouldn't "if you don't like it just don't buy it" be the appropriate response? 

4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What benign ghost stories are you talking about? Nosferatu, wolfman, psycho, House on haunted hill, Pit and the pendulum? All movies before 1965.. There are plenty more

The live action “Casper” and horrible Disney “Haunted Mansion” movie (with Eddie Murphy) were much more recent and pretty benign. As well as the Ghostbusters series. There are plenty more.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Ok, so if someone were to start a thread with, 'I HATE RED CLOTHING" wouldn't "if you don't like it just don't buy it" be the appropriate response? 

Well, at first I'd think they might just be trying to find some sympathizers who also hate red clothing, or that perhaps they wanted to open a discussion on favorite/hated colors in clothing. Now if they messaged me personally (lets say I was a clothing creator) with such a message I'd THINK they forgot their medication that morning. What I would say to them however, well that might depend on my mood.

12 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Just need to point out that horror movies have always typically been released around Halloween in the US. the 80's were huge about the demonic/slasher movies. That was almost 40 years ago. 

What benign ghost stories are you talking about? Nosferatu, wolfman, psycho, House on haunted hill, Pit and the pendulum? All movies before 1965.. There are plenty more.

I said when I was young. You don't know how old I am. lol 

Yes, they have been around but we didn't see them advertised much on TV. And they have gotten worse in the past twenty years. Maybe thirty years. When you are as old as I am time passes much too quickly.

Edited by Blush Bravin

The first Psycho was released in June of 1960. I was a kid, but I remember my parents talking about how shocking that movie was. We look at that movie today and think it's run of the mill .. not shocking at all. Speed up to the first Freddy Krueger movie, November 9, 1984, there is no comparison in the nature of the graphic violence between those two eras. But like you say that was 40 years ago. 

But you are correct in that they've always been around but to a much lesser degree in both quantity and severity.

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The live action “Casper” and horrible Disney “Haunted Mansion” movie (with Eddie Murphy) were much more recent and pretty benign. As well as the Ghostbusters series. There are plenty more.

Yes there are, but they said when they were growing up and "Granted I'm old!" So i was looking for movies from 50+ years ago. Also Ghostbusters can be scary for some kids. 

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I said when I was young. You don't know how old I am. lol 

Yes, they have been around but we didn't see them advertised much on TV. And they have gotten worse in the past twenty years.

Yep, you did, and some of the ones i mentioned i saw when i was a kid. You also don't know how old i am. ;) My kids grew up on classic horror movies. And i consider Beetlejuice a classic, btw. 

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, at first I'd think they might just be trying to find some sympathizers who also hate red clothing, or that perhaps they wanted to open a discussion on favorite/hated colors in clothing. Now if they messaged me personally (lets say I was a clothing creator) with such a message I'd THINK they forgot their medication that morning. What I would say to them however, well that might depend on my mood.

I think a majority of the issue with this thread and others like it is how the Op phrases things. "Bored with it already" well doesn't that just slap you in the face if it's your favorite holiday? aside from that, she goes on to say that its an american holiday only. Which it isn't, and Dia de los Muertos gets lumped in in SL as well. 

On 10/19/2018 at 8:58 AM, Candice LittleBoots said:

Besides the 4th of July, Halloween must rank as one of the most tedious times of the Second Life calendar year for people who are not from america.

Freebies, group gifts, hunts, and event items are as close to useless and unwearable as can be and at time of writing we are still a week and a half away.

There are over 7 billion people who inhabit the earth, outside of america.

Again though, everything said is just one persons opinion of things in some stores around a holiday. All of these complaints could be said over any other holiday. How many Asians, Muslims, Jews, and Africans celebrate Christmas and Easter? Its a holiday that happens every year and every year merchants decorate for them. Are we really going to have this thread every holiday? 

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The first Psycho was released in June of 1960. I was a kid, but I remember my parents talking about how shocking that movie was. We look at that movie today and think it's run of the mill .. not shocking at all. Speed up to the first Freddy Krueger movie, November 9, 1984, there is no comparison in the nature of the graphic violence between those two eras. But like you say that was 40 years ago. 

But you are correct in that they've always been around but to a much lesser degree in both quantity and severity.

Agreed, back then producers weren't allowed to get away with what they can now. Hell, look at The Walking Dead. That would never have made it to prime time back in the day. Sadly, i think that is one of the reasons kids are so blase about violence and gore. video games, tv and movies are more gory and violent then ever before. 

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Autumn, especially in the past, was a very scary time for humankind. The seasons were changing from a time of abundance due to the harvesting of food that ensures survival, to a time when nature would die along with the food supply, and our very survival was at stake.
Ceremonies develped to acknowledge these passages and provide meaning and comfort, as death is certainly a difficult aspect of life to integrate successfully.

My theory is that the more a culture is unable to accept death the more bizarre their Autumn celebrations become. I think some countries in Western society have a hard time accepting death. Some even think we will overcome death through technology.
I compare our Halloween celebrations in the U.S. with those in Mexico, evidenced in the lovely movie 'Coco', where death is just seen as a part of life. The same with Native American traditions where death is not made into some negative, gory production as it is in some Western societies.

The excessive demon stuff in the U.S. just adds another layer to the mystery...

What do SL demons dress up as for Halloween?

17 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Agreed, back then producers weren't allowed to get away with what they can now. Hell, look at The Walking Dead. That would never have made it to prime time back in the day. Sadly, i think that is one of the reasons kids are so blase about violence and gore. video games, tv and movies are more gory and violent then ever before. 

yes kids are totally desensitzed to the violence they are exposed to, to the point of picking up a gun and killing people if they feel put upon.

And then of course what does society blame this youth gun violence on?

Why too many easily available guns if course.

They refuse to consider that maybe, just maybe,  we are reaping the fruits of moral degeneracy that have been sown over the past 50 years or so

Edited by Phorumities
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The first Psycho was released in June of 1960. I was a kid, but I remember my parents talking about how shocking that movie was. We look at that movie today and think it's run of the mill .. not shocking at all.

This is nothing for those who have lived a little bit longer than that. Any of you rememebr the Roman empire? They killed people just for fun. And it's not as if the other nations were any better back then.

And the middle ages with the inquisition and all of that ... let's be thankful that is over now.

Painting_by_Hieronymus_Bosch.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png.cdb713ba9fddd480fab3c828db6fcb32.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I hate Red clothing too. don't people have a clue what it represents?

oh wait never mind, you meant the color red

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

This is nothing for those who have lived a little bit longer than that. Any of you rememebr the Roman empire? They killed people just for fun. And it's not as if the other nations were any better back then.

And the middle ages with the inquisition and all of that ... let's be thankful that is over now.

Painting_by_Hieronymus_Bosch.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png.cdb713ba9fddd480fab3c828db6fcb32.png

It isn't over for North Koreans. And there are those who are working diligently to revert back to how things were 50-100 year ago in the US and more recently Canada. It really isn't over with yet.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

yes kids are totally desensitzed to the violence they are exposed to, to the point of picking up a gun and killing people if they feel put upon.

And then of course what does society blame this youth gun violence on?

Why too many easily available guns if course.

They refuse to consider that maybe, just maybe,  we are reaping the fruits of moral degeneracy that have been sown over the past 50 years or so

Ahhhh... So NO Muricans EVER exercised their 2nd amendment rights to "pick up a readily available gun" and blow .45 sized holes in complete strangers, for the most trivial of reasons prior to the 1960's?.

Oh Wait...

0015.jpg

"Y'all shoun't have said what y'all said 'bout mah faverit brand 'o booorbun, Mister...I'ma callin you out, make yer play..."

Edited by Klytyna
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Ahhhh... So NO Muricans EVER exercised their 2nd amendment rights to "pick up a readily available gun" and blow .45 sized holes in complete strangers, for the most trivial of reasons prior to the 1960's?.

Oh Wait...

0015.jpg

"Y'all shoun't have said what y'all said 'bout mah faverit brand 'o booorbun, Mister...I'ma callin you out, make yer play..."

no American has ever had the right to kill someone because they felt insulted. It was murder back then, and it's murder  today. The difference is, back then, we blamed the person, today we blame the gun.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.