LL advertising private businesses in their blog?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

You're taking a little bit of knowledge and making a giant leap of assumption here. Until there is clarity made as to how this happened (and I'm not saying there even should be) why assume the worst?

You know so little about the shopping culture here in SL that you're seeing a lot of wrong in something that is rather benign. Uber is basically a gathering place for businesses to showcase their wares. So many creators were mentioned. I think it's great to show that Lindens are involved in SL. And doing it officially is a great advertisement for Second Life period. It's promoting shopping in SL regardless of it showcasing a handful of creators. Personally I think it's a great idea and hope they continue doing it.

So thread is basically Derp!

DF23E145-E64A-487D-BF96-77EDFCCE7FBA.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pic of the day is of non-Lindens. I clicked on “Look of the Day” because of the different title.

I think thats the point.  Pic of the day has been happening for a long time and features residents.  The look of the day seems new and this was the first post and features a linden

Edited by Cindy Evanier
I can't spell 4 letter words
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pic of the day is of non-Lindens. I clicked on “Look of the Day” because of the different title.

Ohh I saw it on the home page under 'Second Life Pic of the Day'.  I didn't even notice it was from Xiola as it had that same 'model-with-photoshop-skills-and-a-need-for-selfies' look.

• Haha 4

Unless a blog is posted here:

blog.png.f4eb1cb2134c59e07e1d292c783eded3.png

I don't check them. So for me I wouldn't have even seen this blog post had there not been a forum thread started about it. Seriously, a mountain has been made out of something smaller than a mole hill.

Edited by Blush Bravin

@Blush Bravin

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't check them. So for me I wouldn't have even seen this blog post had there not been a forum thread started about it. Seriously, a mountain has been made out of something smaller than a mole hill.

I don't check blogs specifically, but I do have new blogs in my Unread Content stream, which is where I saw it.

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

You didn't say that when you stole Patch's picture for under your pillow the other day

noooo not under my pillow!.. can't see the pic when i open my eyes... it's on the little table :)

5 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

if the Lindens going to do it we'r done soon, most look like..... ehm.. lets say 2002

not the cute Patch! ?

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"Gee, I wish the Lindens would pay more attention to us."

*LL does so*

"OMG Favoritism!"

Hey, I'm not too fond of Blueberry (I was disappointed with thier wings), but at least it's not C****.

Anyways, maybe it's the 3 year neglect we had (which I left somewhere in the middle of), but I think it's nice that we get more acknowledgement. Then again, I have to remind myself that in about every MMO game the forumgoers are the Loud Minority.

Edited by Magnek Fang
Clarification now that brain is working
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is my kind of Linden - old school, gets the job done, doesn't care about looking good.  It's a pic from 2005 that I took with a plan to use it on a sign for a pub I made called 'The Sleeping Troll' (long gone).  The Linden in question was nice about it but told me he couldn't allow me to use it as it would seem he was endorsing my pub. So hmm.

Old Linden.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

And the co-existing blog about 10 free premium memberships from Blueberry

59dbbf88ca4573b0baee6c54736e0241.thumb.png.991138ed3cd5f5ead8fab0ff91bb48b9.png

All seems a little too tight to me.

I would love to know the exact details about this arrangement. I have some land I own for my QR Code project, the land it names "Thanks Linden Lab!" which could give someone the idea that LL is paying the tier for me to keep that there, but they aren't It's named that because I am thinking them for giving me the ability to have my project in world. They sold me the land at the normal rate and have never offered to contribute even 1m of tier towards it yet I am still saying thanks to them. Could the above be a similar thing? For all we know it could be that the owners of Blueberry are just going to send you enough L$ sell it on the exchange and purchase 1 year of premium. Nowhere does it say that LL has actually given them the premium memberships for free or even at a discounted rate. For all we know it could be the owner saying they are giving away premium when there's no arrangement and no one will actually win, after all this "giveaway" sounds an awful lot like a raffle, which is disallowed by Linden Lab Official:Policy Regarding Wagering in Second Life.

If however they are giving them 10 yearly memberships for free (or even for a discounted rate) then I would still like to know the details about this arrangement and how I could get the same or a similar deal. I have a number of websites which already drive traffic to SecondLife and being able to offer a few people a year of premium would be fantastic (even if I was paying for it).

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm done with this now. It's taking far too much of my time today. I'll finish by saying that, imo, it's wrong that the official LL blog is used to promote specific products and stores, when the same facility is not available to all. That's all I started the thread to say. If Xiola's blog post wasn't for the purpose of promotions, then I cannot come up with any reason to post it at all - except perhaps as a 'look at me' thing, and we have forums for that.

The fact that Blueberry and premium accounts came into it, either coincidentally or by design, came later.

You don't KNOW this to be true(bolded), so stop assuming it is and trying to convince everyone else it is, until you DO know it...you're reaching too hard on this one Phil.

As to the last line, they did not come into it coincidentally, it was entirely by your own design, you put blueberry in your first post, and the premium account bit into your third, barely an hour later, lol. 

Even if people may agree with your basic premise...that being(one can only assume since you've stated it several times now) that particular businesses in sl are getting mention, while others are not...you are *still going about expressing that in the wrong way. The only reason I say you're going about it the wrong way, leads right back to my first sentence...you're basing everything off a singular assumption that you don't even have the slightest evidence could be true, much less actually is. If it was merely a "I'm not sure if I like this. I'm not sure if this is right. What do others think about LL advertising for creators?" sort of deal, you'd have had a much better discussion. But you jumped the gun right out the gate without any chance that you could potentially be wrong, and you're *still* leaving no room for that chance. 

That all said...I'd actually agree with you that LL's advertising specific businesses on the official blog, is likely not the best choice they could make...mostly though, it's because of reactions like yours that make assumptions and run with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

You don't KNOW this to be true(bolded), so stop assuming it is and trying to convince everyone else it is, until you DO know it...you're reaching too hard on this one Phil.

You are arguing with someone who will do almost anything not to admit he’s wrong! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You are arguing with someone who will do almost anything not to admit he’s wrong! 

I know, been posting with him for years...sometimes it's a fun merry go round to watch when there's really only one person on it and it's gone off kilter :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I know, been posting with him for years...sometimes it's a fun merry go round to watch when there's really only one person on it and it's gone off kilter :D

I liked the post where he finally admitted he didn’t know much about fashion, and also (by inference) admitted he did not understand there were more than 2 companies referenced than Uber (not a company actually) and Blueberry. Whoever sent Phil the article about the giveaway Premiums fanned the flame. The entire thread is hearsay [sic].

Edited by Love Zhaoying

12 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I hope not because I hope that Linden Lab is not going start using their blog for blatant advertising like that.

You mean they should go back to doing it with emails to all users again?

Or maybe Torley should start making instruction videos with "discreet" ads for his friends' stores again?

Or what if Ebbe did it the way your Linden namesake did, buy shares in some successful SL business and start promoting it any way he cold think of?

THis is how Linden Lab has always worked, Phil. You have to be seriously naive if you believe in the "free market, level playing field" myth.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

*gasp*  

I actually agree with Phil on this one.  I think LL should not mention specific businesses on their OFFICIAL blogs.  Regardless of the particulars, it gives the impression of favoritism.

I also am curious as to the details of the Blueberry thing - I've wondered about that since I read the group notice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.