LL advertising private businesses in their blog?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It was in the same Inworld blog section but it was called Look of the Day  which seems something different to the residents Pick Of The Day

Yes, it was quite different to the Pic Of The Day section. In fact, early in the thread the idea of it being a new daily competition like Pic Of The Day crossed my mind, and I mentioned it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

My view is that LL's best customers are the big land-owners, because that's who they make the most money from. Of course, businesses play a part in land-ownership, due to their customers, but they are homes and furniture sellers, not the sellers of clothing, and I can't agree that it makes the homes and furniture sellers LL's best customers.

Land is LL's main source of income. They are in the process of shifting the balance to some extent, but it's still their main source, and the big owners are LL's best customers.

Let's just see how many residents we would have if there were no merchants in SL! Linden Labs best customers are those who keep people logging into SL not who pays them the most money individually!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You're reading far too much into it, Ceka. Yes, Blueberry has been singled out (for obvious reasons), but not given hell, or even criticised. Nobody has made any judgements. Nobody can judge it. Nobody has said that Blueberry did something wrong, or that Blueberry has a deal with LL that isn't available to any other business, or anything. It's not even been speculation. You're reading far too much into it.

Maybe that gossip blog kind of set my tone or something as far as the whole given hell thing when i said that..I probably should have stepped back for a second ,at the time..

But it does bother me that all those other fields/private businesses get looked over as normal, while fashion gets looked at as the only field/private business getting special attention in the post..

If they are a content creator and making money,they are a private business,be it a sim owner,photographer or designer or furniture maker or pose maker or whatever..

Xiola's pretty much  posted all of the ,Pic of the day, posts and posted the credit links in each one..

To me it's not changed any, since they started doing the pics of the day.

If her pic is advertising for SL business,then they have been doing it the whole time they have had the, Pic of the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blush. We're not talking about how good or not merchants are for SL. We are only talking about who are LL's "best customers". You'd said that LL should look after their best customers, implying big businesses like Blueberry that take a lot of money out of SL. I merely pointed out that big businesses who take a lot of money out of SL are not LL's best customers, and that big land-owners are. If you want to discuss how beneficial to SL, and therefore to LL, various businesses are, I can't disagree, but I'm not discussing it with you. I'm only discussing who are LL's "best customers".

17 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yes, it was quite different to the Pic Of The Day section. In fact, early in the thread the idea of it being a new daily competition like Pic Of The Day crossed my mind, and I mentioned it.

But it is in the pic of the day section..

I mentioned earlier that pic of the day is a competition..She'd more than likely have a whole other crowd up her butt for taking the pic of the day..hehehehe

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Blush. We're not talking about how good or not merchants are for SL. We are only talking about who are LL's "best customers". You'd said that LL should look after their best customers, implying big businesses like Blueberry that take a lot of money out of SL. I merely pointed out that big businesses who take a lot of money out of SL are not LL's best customers, and that big land-owners are. If you want to discuss how beneficial to SL, and therefore to LL, various businesses are, I can't disagree, but I'm not discussing it with you. I'm only discussing who are LL's "best customers".

No, I didn't imply any such thing. You are reading things into my comments that I did NOT say. You equate best with MONEY. I do not. Best are the ones who do the most to keep SL alive and thriving.

I"m done with this thread other than to say directly to Xiola. I love the post .. keep them coming.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But it is in the pic of the day section..

I mentioned earlier that pic of the day is a competition..She'd more than likely have a whole other crowd up her butt for taking the pic of the day..hehehehe

There isn't actually a Pic Of The Day section. It's the Inworld Section. Pics of the Day and the Look of the Day are in it. :)

26 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The only reason I looked at it was because I saw something by a linden.  I don't pay attention to the pics of the day.  If Look of The Day is a new thing and going to involve a collection of Lindens participating, I am all for that fun.  There was no announcement or clarification about this though.  Hopefully there will be now.

I hope they do something like that as well..The thing I really like about all these kind of pictures is the information that comes with them,plus the pictures themselves..But the locations of places I've never heard about before..

I'm sure the lindens know some really nice places I've never heard of before.. Those needle in the haystack places :)

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But it does bother me that all those other fields/private businesses get looked over as normal, while fashion gets looked at as the only field/private business getting special attention in the post..

It's only because Blueberry was offering 10 free annual premium accounts, and thanking LL for facilitating it, that the business name focus was on Blueberry. The main topic was Xiola's post.

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

There isn't actually a Pic Of The Day section. It's the Inworld Section. Pics of the Day and the Look of the Day are in it. :)

Click on the inworld link and tell me what all  you see in there other than pic of the day for miles..

It's been pic of the day's section since like 2012...hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:) ah but if you look at the page that lists the blogs, you'll see there is Featured News, Inworld, Land, etc. The Pic Of The Day entries are just that - entries in the Inworld section. Now there's something different in there as well, and it doesn't pretend to be just another one like the others.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's only because Blueberry was offering 10 free annual premium accounts, and thanking LL for facilitating it, that the business name focus was on Blueberry. The main topic was Xiola's post.

That post wasn't about Blueberry..That post was about how it's now LL getting into bed with private businesses since fashion creators get a mention, but it wasn't before when other creators / private businesses have been getting a mention pretty much the whole time..

Xiola puts up all those posts and links all those links each time..

• Like 2

It probably wasn't about Blueberry and the others, Ceka, and this whole thread has probably (hopefully, anyway) been a complete mistake. It's just that I saw what appeared to be nothing but an advertisement for some SL businesses on LL's official blog, and I thought that it shouldn't happening unless such advertisements are available to all SL businesses.

If you look at Xiola's post, which is not a Pic Of The Day, it really does look like an advertisement that you might find wherever ads are placed. It doesn't look like anything but an advertisement. Perhaps some SL clothing sellers are using Pic Of The Day to promote their stuff. It wou'd be a sensible thing to do.

Incidentally, that Inworld Section also includes Gif Of The Day. Also, not all pics of the day include information about the clothing and not all are about the clothing/look. They are just pics. To my mind, it serves to emphasise the idea that Xiola's Look Of The Day may actually be an advertisement.

Edited by Phil Deakins

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

:) ah but if you look at the page that lists the blogs, you'll see there is Featured News, Inworld, Land, etc. The Pic Of The Day entries are just that - entries in the Inworld section. Now there's something different in there as well, and it doesn't pretend to be just another one like the others.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose,By any other name would smell as sweet..

90% of that section is pic of the day..You can get  technical if you like,but pic of the day owns that section and has for years..

If they make a different post every two years besides a pic of the day, you're going to have to wade through two years of pic of the day posts to find it..

If I'm farming corn but throw in a row of beans,It doesn't change it from being a corn field hehehehe :P

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It probably wasn't about Blueberry and the others, Ceka, and this whole thread has probably (hopefully, anyway) been a complete mistake. It's just that I saw what appeared to be nothing but an advertisement for some SL businesses on LL's official blog, and I thought that it shouldn't happening unless such advertisements are available to all SL businesses.

If you look at Xiola's post, which is not a Pic Of The Day, it really does look like an advertisement that you might find wherever ads are placed. It doesn't look like anything but an advertisement. Perhaps some SL clothing sellers are using Pic Of The Day to promote their stuff. It wou'd be a sensible thing to do.

Incidentally, that Inworld Section also includes Gif Of The Day. Also, not all pics of the day include information about the clothing and not all are about the clothing/look. They are just pics. To my mind, it serves to emphasise the idea that Xiola's Look Of The Day may actually be an advertisement.

Today's Second Life pic of the day is actually a gif of the day. Shot at Daydream by Cica Ghost. Visit yourself and explore, take pics and videos, and share then on our official Flickr.

Someone entered a Gif instead of a still image..

looks like advertisement to me..Unless LL owns that Daydream sim and Cica ghost is doing builds for them now...:P

ETA:Ok Phil,I'm finished hehehe..we could  keep this up all day and still get nowhere..So I'm calling it..

Time of death 9:51am central time..Ceka DOA hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

:)

I hope that you are content that nobody has been judging Blueberry here. That's why I wrote that post to you - to set your mind at rest on that score.

Incidentally, that Gif of the Day is dated 16th August - not today ?

Yea,that first part was from that blog post.. I probably should have used quotes there..

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There is one difference though. The blog post is purely an ad. The only purpose of that blog post is to plug specific brands, there's nothing else there.

Umm, no, there is another purpose, you're just ignoring it 'cuz you dislike the practice. The other purpose is to share what someone likes. It may not be a purpose you'd have, it may not be a purpose you'd like, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a purpose.

Also, how does that REALLY differ from some of the other instances I mentioned. Take the pics shown on the website's home page for example. Those are plugs for the ones who took the pics-they have their names right on them, as much as they are plugs for sl itself and what can be(or is) done here. You can also take the items we have in our libraries, made by resident creators. Those items serve multiple purposes as well, and one of those purposes, is advertising for the creator of the item, again, because the creator of said item's name is right on it.

I don't actually see anything wrong with those things, btw, they are brought up for discussion purposes. You see all of these things share more in common than not. They all serve multiple purposes, *including advertising. So why are some perfectly a-ok in some folks' eyes, and others are not?  It's at least as worthy of discussing as this particular instance is. 

• Like 3

I think I can answer that one, Tari. The things you mentioned don't include clickable links to, or even information about, places where we can buy them, whereas Xiola's blog post does and, if you're going to advertise something, that's what you do - include a clickable link, or a statement as to where/how you can buy it.

For instance, stating the name of the person who took a picture, without saying that the person will take pictures for money, isn't advertising. It's merely giving someone credit for taking the pic, and there's no suggestion that anything is for sale. I don't see the library items as being pure advertising, but it is in a way, and it's acceptable to me because we are not provided with details on where to buy anything from those creators, so we would have to dig a bit to find out, and it is not even suggested that we can buy anything at all from those creators. On the other hand, Xiola's blog post simply shows items of clothing and links on where to buy each item. There's a huge world of difference.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

Umm, no, there is another purpose, you're just ignoring it 'cuz you dislike the practice. The other purpose is to share what someone likes.

No, that's not the case here. It's just too close in time to the Premium Membership deal. There is absolutely no way that was a coincidence. Xiola did not write that blogpost because she felt like it, she posted it because that was part of whatever deal LL had made with Blueberry.

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

It may not be a purpose you'd have, it may not be a purpose you'd like, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a purpose.

I do it all the time myself, as I'm sure you and just about everybody else do.

But when you recommend a product by somebody you or an organisation you represent is affiliated with, you are obliged to mention it. Xiola didn't and that is actually a very serious mistake.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think I can answer that one, Tari. The things you mentioned don't include clickable links to, or even information about, places where we can buy them, whereas Xiola's blog post does and, if you're going to advertise something, that's what you do - include a clickable link, or a statement as to where/how you can buy it.

For instance, stating the name of the person who took a picture, without saying that the person will take pictures for money, isn't advertising. It's merely giving someone credit for taking the pic, and there's no suggestion that anything is for sale. I don't see the library items as being pure advertising, but it is in a way, and it's acceptable to me because we are not provided with details on where to buy anything from those creators, so we would have to dig a bit to find out, and it is not even suggested that we can buy anything at all from those creators. On the other hand, Xiola's blog post simply shows items of clothing and links on where to buy each item. There's a huge world of difference.

The 2008 starter avatars came with notecards in their folders with greetings from the (independent merchant) makers which have links to their in-world stores. They're still there - look in the Library under "Clothing - Older Outfits."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

No, that's not the case here. It's just too close in time to the Premium Membership deal. There is absolutely no way that was a coincidence. Xiola did not write that blogpost because she felt like it, she posted it because that was part of whatever deal LL had made with Blueberry.

Blueberry and the Lab have been cooperating for quite a while. Blueberry provided free clothing gifts for a Linden Lab winter crawl event a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.