Debunked Rumors/Conspiracy Theories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not so fast with the debunking! Try linking two low-LI prims together (e.g., two boxes set to Convex Hull) with a total LI that rounds to 1, then start adding scripts. When you get to 3 scripts, you should see the LI jump from 1 to 2.

Basically, scripts can as much as double the Land Impact of multiprim linksets that have low Download and Physics weights.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not so fast with the debunking! Try linking two low-LI prims together (e.g., two boxes set to Convex Hull) with a total LI that rounds to 1, then start adding scripts. When you get to 3 scripts, you should see the LI jump from 1 to 2.

Basically, scripts can as much as double the Land Impact of multiprim linksets that have low Download and Physics weights.

Yes but..is it the same with prim vs. mesh?

Are these prims using old accounting, or did you do something to force new accounting? 

Will this apply to only “new” builds, or existing builds?

Oh, I think it has to be new accounting, so for prims they'd need to be set to Convex Hull physics in order to force the lower physics weight, else the linkset would start out with the full,. "pre-doubled" LI.

So if existing prim builds are still all prim accounting and lots of scripts are added, it shouldn't increase LI, but if anybody tries to save some LI with switching to Convex Hull + None, it won't be as effective as intended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, I think it has to be new accounting, so for prims they'd need to be set to Convex Hull physics in order to force the lower physics weight, else the linkset would start out with the full,. "pre-doubled" LI.

So if existing prim builds are still all prim accounting and lots of scripts are added, it shouldn't increase LI, but if anybody tries to save some LI with switching to Convex Hull + None, it won't be as effective as intended.

So to rephrase my question on prim vs. mesh: do you think it’s the same, and it’s really just a feature of the new accounting? @Innula Zenovka weigh in?

IRCC, adding a script changed the maths of linked mesh. Say you had a 1 LI chair and added say two .5 pillows. Should be a total of 2 LI, except with scripts it was 3 LI with each piece counted separately. I ran into frustrations with that a while back. I don't know if it's changed since then.

46 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is interesting.    I'd not realised this but you're right -- if I link two default 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5  boxes together and set them both to convex hull, the LI is 1 while there are <3 scripts in the root prim, and then it jumps to 2, where it caps (the server cost continues to increase by 0.25 for each script until it reaches 2.00).

Similar results with the mesh uploaded object linked (as root) to a cube set to convex hull.

@Love Zhaoying I think the rule is that using the new accounting system (which you have to if any of the components in the linkset is mesh) may give you an advantage by reducing the object's LI.   Increasing the number of scripts may increase the LI until it's what it would have been under the old accounting system, but it won't make the LI any greater than that.    The worst that can happen is that you lose the advantages of switching to the new system.

In this respect it contrasts with what happens if you switch to the new accounting system while leaving child prims as physics shape type prim, which can send the physics cost through the roof (particularly if the linkset includes tortured spheres and tori).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about rumors that:

- Someone could torture-pose your AV so that it can’t be fixed

- Someone could grief in such a way as to fry your GPU / PC?

- If you’re caught streaming music without paying licensing fees, the authorities (ASCAP, BMI, FBI) will come after you?

8 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

In this respect it contrasts with what happens if you switch to the new accounting system while leaving child prims as physics shape type prim, which can send the physics cost through the roof (particularly if the linkset includes tortured spheres and tori).

I have an old kinetic sculpture with an unusually high prim count, I assume it uses tortured prims. I wonder if the accounting system will ever change such that these existing items go up or down in LI? If mod, adding a modern texture feature would change it even, right?

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have an old kinetic sculpture with an unusually high prim count, I assume it uses tortured prims. I wonder if the accounting system will ever change such that these existing items go up or down in LI? If mod, adding a modern texture feature would change it even, right?

Not sure, offhand.  If by "adding a modern texture feature" you mean using materials, I suspect it would switch to the new accounting system automagicallly but it's easy to experiment.

Try setting all the child prims to physics shape type none.   That should solve the problem with the  physics cost, but I obviously don't know what other potential issues there are with the sculpture.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Someone could torture-pose your AV so that it can’t be fixed

There are certain animations in one particular ancient "combat HUD" that can distort/animate your avatar in a such a way that the Reset Skeleton & Animations or Stop Avatar Animations & Revoke Permissions viewer options cannot fully fix. It takes a relog to fix your avatar.

These attacks are perms grabbers/collectors that use the click-to-sit vector. They are invisible followers that cover your avatar, the ground or your objects to get you to unknowingly click and in-turn, sit on them to grant perms.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Not sure, offhand.  If by "adding a modern texture feature" you mean using materials, I suspect it would switch to the new accounting system automagicallly but it's easy to experiment.

Try setting all the child prims to physics shape type none.   That should solve the problem with the  physics cost, but I obviously don't know what other potential issues there are with the sculpture.

If it’s no mod, won’t matter. Will check it out one day.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So to rephrase my question on prim vs. mesh: do you think it’s the same, and it’s really just a feature of the new accounting? @Innula Zenovka weigh in?

Years ago, before mesh was common, before "new accounting" and certainly before materials...

I built an animal stall out of prims, adding up all the stretched cubes used for floor, roof, posts, walls, internal divider, and roof beams etc., it came to 16 prims, I set all of them to convex hull (old school prim pushers trick) and dropped the LI for the finished item to 8 "prims", then i added a couple of different flavours of leash handle script to a torus included in the build as a rein-ring...

LI shot up to 11.

The LI hike on script add was always worse with "tortured" prims, spheres and torii than with cubes.

With materials, changing a 7 prim item with tortured and sculpted prims to use specular shine can push LI up to over 2200, and yes I've actually had that happen with of all things, a pet water bowl.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Years ago, before mesh was common, before "new accounting" and certainly before materials...

I built an animal stall out of prims, adding up all the stretched cubes used for floor, roof, posts, walls, internal divider, and roof beams etc., it came to 16 prims, I set all of them to convex hull (old school prim pushers trick) and dropped the LI for the finished item to 8 "prims", then i added a couple of different flavours of leash handle script to a torus included in the build as a rein-ring...

LI shot up to 11.

The LI hike on script add was always worse with "tortured" prims, spheres and torii than with cubes.

With materials, changing a 7 prim item with tortured and sculpted prims to use specular shine can push LI up to over 2200, and yes I've actually had that happen with of all things, a pet water bowl.

I think my takeaway from this is..even though mesh is great, the new accounting system is awesome, don’t change certain existing builds to use new materials features or LI may go through the roof. Luckily, I’ve usually got 10k free on my region.

SL Myths...

• Any SL chick who WON'T suck your boy-dangle prim is OBVIOUSLY a dude with teh gay...
  • Anything rezzed OVER 1000 m up CANNOT cause lag of any kind, EVER.
  • Clearing cache and doing a clean install fixes EVERYTHING.
  • EVERYONE with the last name "Resident" is a throwaway account noob moron griefer from Planet Cunning.
  • If your last name is NOT "Resident" your SL-IQ is AUTOMATICALLY equal to the age of your oldest alt, measured in weeks.
  • Anyone who created their original account BEFORE 12/31/2007 is ENTITLED to free money JUST for logging in, regardless of how crap their products/business model is. LL are legally obliged to change the Grid to ensure the free money arrives.
  • The SL Knowledgebase/Wiki contains nothing but real facts and is a valuable resource, and is NOT horrifically out of date and filled with obsolete and utterly wrong information at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Any SL chick who WON'T suck your boy-dangle prim is OBVIOUSLY a dude with teh gay...

But teh gay like suck boy-dangles!

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Anything rezzed OVER 1000 m up CANNOT cause lag of any kind, EVER.

But does not add as much to lag on ground as it would rezzed down below, right?

5 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

If your last name is NOT "Resident" your SL-IQ is AUTOMATICALLY equal to the age of your oldest alt, measured in weeks.

I don’t have an alt, so with this my IQ is zero? ?

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

- If you’re caught streaming music without paying licensing fees, the authorities (ASCAP, BMI, FBI) will come after you?

Legally, that one is quite true. If you stream in SL you should be paying license fees. (It's in the order of pennies for most DJs)

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.