A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As much as I have enjoyed Japanese cuisine on my visits there, I too cannot get used to finding fishy flavors in some things. I remember that a good friend from Japan visited me and, knowing that I had liked some of our meals together, brought me a small bag of snacks that looked like Cheetos but were in fact shrimp-flavored. By extrapolation, I can imagine what a fishy donut would be like. Some cross-cultural food adventures work better than others.

I adore the look of Japanese cuisine. We stopped at a little market in which I found a box of tiny edible dolls in kimonos with what looked like peanuts for heads, and exquisitely painted faces. I figured they'd either be sugary like cookies or salty like crackers. Either way, I was excited by the prospect of biting heads off tiny people. Unfortunately, they were neither sugary nor salty, and the heads were not peanuts. Every damned gram of those obnoxious dolls was concocted from some kind of fish meal. I managed to swallow what I'd bit off, but buried the rest of them alive in a potted plant outside the store, with only their pretty heads above ground, screaming for mercy.

Hell hath no fury...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As much as I have enjoyed Japanese cuisine on my visits there, I too cannot get used to finding fishy flavors in some things. I remember that a good friend from Japan visited me and, knowing that I had liked some of our meals together, brought me a small bag of snacks that looked like Cheetos but were in fact shrimp-flavored. By extrapolation, I can imagine what a fishy donut would be like. Some cross-cultural food adventures work better than others.

Instead of a donut, think of it like a “hush puppy” made with flour instead of corn meal.

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Instead of a donut, think of it like a “hush puppy” made with flour instead of corn meal.

That's probably a better comparison.  On balance, I must say that I've had many more pleasant taste surprises in my life than unpleasant ones.  The unpleasant ones were probably my fault for having led myself to believe that I was about to taste something completely different. I think of a dessert prepared by the wife of an Indian friend that was simultaneously fiery hot and as sweet as honey. Or an East African dish I once had in a restaurant in DC that came close to tasting like library paste.  I'm sure that both were probably much better than I give them credit for, but the unexpected flavor of the first bites will live with me to the end of my days.

• Like 4

Not being a fan of mayo or fish/seafood, I'll stick with ebelskivers.   

One of my son-in-laws is Danish and has a manual ebelskiver pan.  When they were staying with us for awhile, he used to make ebelskivers for everyone on the weekends.  That is one thing I miss since they've moved out to their own place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

Not being a fan of mayo or fish/seafood, I'll stick with ebelskivers.   

One of my son-in-laws is Danish and has a manual ebelskiver pan.  When they were staying with us for awhile, he used to make ebelskivers for everyone on the weekends.  That is one thing I miss since they've moved out to their own place. 

I grew up going in holidays to a Norwegian Seaman’s church..so ebelskivers weren’t weird when I first made them. But I originally got the pan for Thai Kanom Krok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

You live practically on the shore of one of a chain of lakes  that together contain over 20% of the fresh water on the face of the earth.

And you don't like fish?????

You do realize that fish live their entire lives under water, don't you?

If that ain't icky, ain't nuthin' icky.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Great now I'm hungry and awake past my bedtime.

I know! It's even later for you than it is for me, but before I logged in just now I'd found my eye drawn to a big piece of lemon cake in the fridge. It was practically throwing itself at me. I resisted, but if I'd read this latest stuff I'd have succumbed for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sagadin said:

OK here is a voice that should derail anything -- Tennessee Ernie Ford visits the very Deep South...

That was terrific! I googled the hell out of him but I still couldn't figure out where he's from. My  first guess was Brazil. I did find a lot of links that seemed to me to be in Brasilian/Portuguese (and I heard him say 'legal' in the Brasilian style during the song). I finally looked at enough links associated with producers on his other songs to convince me I'm right.

Am I?

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Fun!! A few words of advice on muffins in the machine. I knew that Takoyaki flour “rises” or “Puffs” in the cooker because of leaveners. Since muffins aren’t known for being light and fluffy but I wanted Puffs, I added maybe 1/2 teaspoon baking powder to the muffin mix. The mix will be too thick to use the dispenser “pot” that comes with the machine so use a spoon. The highest setting is 400F.  Use peanut oil as it won’t burn at 400F. With blueberry muffins, the added blueberry bits made it hard for the machine to turn the Puffs because they stick to the machine. Any other questions just ask! ?

4 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

That was terrific! I googled the hell out of him but I still couldn't figure out where he's from. My  first guess was Brazil. I did find a lot of links that seemed to me to be in Brasilian/Portuguese (and I heard him say 'legal' in the Brasilian style during the song). I finally looked at enough links associated with producers on his other songs to convince me I'm right.

Am I?

Yes he is from Brazil.

That version of the song is by Juares de Mira, who is from Parana and lives in Rio (juaresdemira.blogspot.com).

Here's his version of "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen.

The first version I heard was by Noriel Vilela (1936 - 1975) also from Brazil:

And here is Seu Jorge singing David Bowie:

Do ALL Brazilian men sing like this??

Edited by Sagadin
OCD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

grabbed tons of gifts and stuffs... and  it got me thinking... along with missing having a home to myself I miss blogging... but I don´t have the time to go back to the amount of posts I did back then with all the PR and stuff... neither do I have the nerve and money I invested back then... blogged myself into a smaller burnout back then...

Now I thought I could start an attempt to mock my avatar pic posts into a blogging version on the forums to see if I´m able to keep it at a lower pace or see if that helps the fix... but where? 

How my avatar looks today is more of a picdump, the vanity thread maybe? hmmm is it too much for the forum as it is and I should just do it on flickr? STFU kasha and go home? xD ARGH... my brain´s overflowing already xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If this is what I see of other people, I fear how others see me when I TP in somewhere. 

Snapshot_002.thumb.jpg.e5514f21c44fb56cfa3b64359acb16aa.jpg

Snapshot_001.thumb.jpg.ce4e772d99e6ca2c86beafa4b32ff335.jpg

yesterday I teleported to BB because i just baught belleza venus and all i had was a dress for it. soon as i got these i noticed my dress didn't come with me. rip.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.