A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

From Maddy in another thread

I thought of Wile and the Roadrunner as you described when I was young. I've grown to truly admire Wile over the years. He's ultimately doomed by his lack of self reflection, but he's got perseverance. And that's the thing I love about him.

I mentored young entrepreneurs for a few years in the early aughts. They shared Wile's hopeful perseverance and a good bit of his cluelessness. I eventually stopped mentoring when I realized I was saying "no" far more often than "yes" and worried I was a roadblock to the potential success of one of the fledglings. I was told at the time that my experience was valuable as a protection against failure, and encouraged to continue, but I remained unconvinced.

Dumb luck doesn't stand a chance when smart people offer guidance.

I missed my chance to derail that thread, since a couple of others had already derailed it.  Assuming that she really means "mentor" and not "teacher" or "supervisor", I'm not sure that I agree with Maddy's instincts on this one.  Fledglings certainly deserve all the opportunities they can get to fall flat on their faces.  Gravity is a fine teacher.  However, if each fledgling had to re-invent the wheel, we'd never get anywhere.  (See I. Newton's comment about standing on the shoulders of giants.)  A good mentor isn't in the yes/no business but in the "Try it" or "What do you think?" or "Don't forget to duck." business.  Mentors are resource people, ready to lend a hand when asked or a shoulder to cry on when the sky falls in. 

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I missed my chance to derail that thread, since a couple of others had already derailed it.  Assuming that she really means "mentor" and not "teacher" or "supervisor", I'm not sure that I agree with Maddy's instincts on this one.  Fledglings certainly deserve all the opportunities they can get to fall flat on their faces.  Gravity is a fine teacher.  However, if each fledgling had to re-invent the wheel, we'd never get anywhere.  (See I. Newton's comment about standing on the shoulders of giants.)  A good mentor isn't in the yes/no business but in the "Try it" or "What do you think?" or "Don't forget to duck." business.  Mentors are resource people, ready to lend a hand when asked or a shoulder to cry on when the sky falls in. 

You may well be right. Still, I don't regret ducking out of that mentorship role. I saw just as much cluelessness on the venture capital side, particularly at the the local angel level and I sometimes felt like I was spitting into the wind. I suppose I was also sensitive to the reaction I'd get when I'd very quickly shoot down ideas. There was sometimes a perception that I was just being contrary and didn't really know what I was talking about, but it was (I hope) actually the case that I'm more broadly and deeply knowledgable than I appear. Entrepreneurs, or at least the kind I encountered, have a passion for their ideas that I couldn't easily guide.

Since then I've mentored a few neighborhood kids, one in particular who won't take "no" for an answer. When I was young, I don't recall being told "no" very often. I was allowed to crash and burn my way to success. I'm not an entrepreneur, the kind of person with a fire in my belly that will pursue my goal to the end. I hate goals. I hate plans. I just go where my whims take me. So far, so good, though it drives those around me nuts.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Random derail of the day ...

It's a fun question tho.  At least to geeky me.

TL;DR: I have a 48" touch screen monitor at work that needs a purpose.

It was bought for a specific reason that never panned out.  It is a coffee table at the moment.  Literally, a 48" touch screen coffee table with a P.O.S. small form PC in the table's base.  The PC is dead.  I can replace it with an Intel NUK (which would be a lot less space and heat but minimum processing power) or .. well, whatever else I care to put in place of a 12"X12"X6" (guessing here) PC. 

I am also not limited to keeping it a coffee table.  The cool factor wears off quick and it becomes a chore to lean back and forth just to reach across the table for any touch gesture.

More detail: the offices take up 6 total floors in a couple of adjacent buildings.  This is a production office for an oil company.  Most of the engineering and geophysics are done at a different location but we still do some production level engineering.  Plant piping, gathering systems, automation, that kind of stuff.  Roughly 80% of my customers (the other employees) are skilled and educated labor and techs.  All are computer literate.  The other 20% have MS and PhD's so vary from people able to design and build dynamic agnostic software networks to people that are lost if you change the color of their desktop.

Does anyone have any killer ideas on what to do with this monitor?  Other than putting it on a drafting table and using it for my personal desk, of course.  That's what *I* want to do with it but I don't want to hear the bitching and moaning that comes afterwards.

I thought about using it in the main reception area as a map and phone directory interface.  I need to see if our facilities software can do what I want without leaving it open to misuse, whether intentional or accidental.  I would also like to hang it on the wall rather than keep the table but either way is still an option.

Anyone have a killer use in mind? 

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Random derail of the day ...

It's a fun question tho.  At least to geeky me.

TL;DR: I have a 48" touch screen monitor at work that needs a purpose.

It was bought for a specific reason that never panned out.  It is a coffee table at the moment.  Literally, a 48" touch screen coffee table with a P.O.S. small form PC in the table's base.  The PC is dead.  I can replace it with an Intel NUK (which would be a lot less space and heat but minimum processing power) or .. well, whatever else I care to put in place of a 12"X12"X6" (guessing here) PC. 

I am also not limited to keeping it a coffee table.  The cool factor wears off quick and it becomes a chore to lean back and forth just to reach across the table for any touch gesture.

More detail: the offices take up 6 total floors in a couple of adjacent buildings.  This is a production office for an oil company.  Most of the engineering and geophysics are done at a different location but we still do some production level engineering.  Plant piping, gathering systems, automation, that kind of stuff.  Roughly 80% of my customers (the other employees) are skilled and educated labor and techs.  All are computer literate.  The other 20% have MS and PhD's so vary from people able to design and build dynamic agnostic software networks to people that are lost if you change the color of their desktop.

Does anyone have any killer ideas on what to do with this monitor?  Other than putting it on a drafting table and using it for my personal desk, of course.  That's what *I* want to do with it but I don't want to hear the bitching and moaning that comes afterwards.

I thought about using it in the main reception area as a map and phone directory interface.  I need to see if our facilities software can do what I want without leaving it open to misuse, whether intentional or accidental.  I would also like to hang it on the wall rather than keep the table but either way is still an option.

Anyone have a killer use in mind? 

If used for a map table, cycle through several of these when not in use:

1) picture of the floor underneath as if clear glass

2) picture with glass as If it’s broken 

3) movie/picture of employees or mascot “trapped” under desk (pressing nose against etc)

• Haha 3

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

From Maddy in another thread

When I was younger (much much younger) my favorite cartoon character was the Tasmanian Devil.   I was ... a strange young woman ...

By my 30's I was solidly in the Daffy Duck camp.  He always had the funniest skits!  And then in Babylon 5 (a sci-fi show) a human described a poster* of Daffy to an alien as the  Greek  Egyptian God of Frustration.

7547ae4d73c087d14fa834e7bef1764f--babylo

*it wasn't a poster, really, but a framed towel.  I want one of those towels!  And a matching toothbrush.  Because mega-geektress!!

Daffy is not quite my favorite; he is second only to Bugs. A whole lot of attitude, or maybe insouciance, in a character is something I can't resist.  Daffy's got a bit of that, but Bugs just drips with it. Like a lot of people, my favorite individual cartoon is "Duck Season" which of course has both of them.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Tex Monday said:

Sorry...country music makes my ears bleed. 

Well, get out the cotton balls, then! Actually none of the clips I dropped is comparable to the Nashville formulas that tend to make mainstream country a bit too theme-repetitive for many people's taste. I do have one of those, though.  Dig it.

Edited by Dillon Levenque

17 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Well, get out the cotton balls, then! Actually none of the clips I dropped is comparable to the Nashville formulas that tend to make mainstream country a bit too theme-repetitive for many people's taste.

I had the same thought. Texas music is a genre unto itself, although in some cases there is some overlap with country. Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janice Joplin, Doug Sahm — not a Nashville sound. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.