Second Life is filled with petty and rude people.

Ashlyn Voir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well it looks to me like she had some bad experiences with SL....and that she came to a different space to get some support regarding it. So far I don't think she's accused the forum of being mean.

I should have been more explicit -- by "here", I meant SL.  

The OP has been in SL for 10 years and in all that time, she claims to have not encountered "one decent person".  If that is her true feelings, then I'm curious as to why she is still in SL.

IMO, the OP is actually just making extreme statements, but by doing so, the OP is blocking herself from seeing any positive.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The OP has been in SL for 10 years and in all that time, she claims to have not encountered "one decent person".

Must be hanging out in some awfully shady places.  Good people are "all over" if you actually look.

*Edit* Or has impossible standards for what is "decent"..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

Since most of my inworld interaction involves customer support and questions, I am in essence dealing with public retail, which you might think would be an utter horror story, as it is in RL. But there is something all but the dumbest of residents figure out pretty quick: rudeness, insults, and threats give you no leverage whatsoever -- you are more likely to be muted and banned.  

The only leverage there is in SL is: being nice.  :SwingingFriends: 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ChinRey said:

If you thinkSecond Life is bad there, try Twitter! :P

Twitter cracks me up. There is some hilariously rude posts there, especially @RealJamesWoods. He tends to box some in with craftily worded responses.

But yeah, there is rudeness here...next!

Dogs-Grab-Some-Food-Before-Going-Back-To

11 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

So you come here telling us we are all non decent, petty and rude people? Thats rude.

Have you ever considered that if everyone you encounter ends up being not friendly with you, there might be a problem at the source? Looking at this and your previous topics and posts on this forum you could come to the conclusion that a social platform like SL is just not the thing for you.

I'm pretty sure the OP stated some weeks back that she was done with SL for good.

A person usually finds in SL exactly what they are looking to find.

If one tells themselves SL is full of racists,  that's what they will find.

If one tells themselves SL is full of rude ignorant people that is what they will find.

If one tells themselves SL is full of s e x perverts, that is what they will find.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, anna2358 said:

OK, so what can we do to make you feel at home?

For a start we don't see it as a game, we see it as a social platform where we play a role.  Some of the roles we play are not cuddly, I admit, but it is almost always just an act.

So, how about we start on a fresh footing?  Welcome to the General Discussion Forum.

I offered her friendship weeks ago and she immediately accused me of race play in SL.

* that topic has already been beaten to death so move along*

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
adead a word for grammar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’d considered SL a game if only because people don’t seem to consider the feelings of others here and are able to be as rude as possible without feeling any sort of guilt about it. As if you’re just some random NPC on a regular video game. 

I like SL originally because it seemed fun to customize characters (avatars) and take pictures. And, it seems like a fun idea to interact with people who you never thought to otherwise or don’t have the ability to. But then it just got worse and worse overtime and then you have people who tries to sabotage any sort of experience you want to have like someone who commented on this thread just a few minutes ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I’d considered SL a game if only because people don’t seem to consider the feelings of others here and are able to be as rude as possible without feeling any sort of guilt about it. As if you’re just some random NPC on a regular video game. 

I like SL originally because it seemed fun to customize characters (avatars) and take pictures. And, it seems like a fun idea to interact with people who you never thought to otherwise or don’t have the ability to. But then it just got worse and worse overtime and then you have people who tries to sabotage any sort of experience you want to have like someone who commented on this thread just a few minutes ago.

I remember the thread where you admit to having a past you aren't proud of and want to move on from. 

So, why is it so strange that Second Life might be filled with other people who do stuff they might later regret (or should)? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I have found very few rude people in sl in the time I have been here. Other people have also stated similar findings. Might I suggest if you only find rude people here that you look for the common denominator in your interactions

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

...  people don’t seem to consider the feelings of others here and are able to be as rude as possible without feeling any sort of guilt about it.

That is a definition of life in general and anything online specifically.  

• Like 5

So one of my rude people metrics is how many people I have "blocked" in the past 4 years coming back to SL.  Right now my block list is 6 people.  These are people who basically were so rude that I had to block them from SL existence.   Now, considering I have interacted literally with hundreds and hundreds of people in the past 4 years I think 6 is a relatively small number.  To depict this small number of rude people I am attaching a Where's Waldo picture to illustrate......Waldo is the rude person in the picture, look for the striped shirt, stocking hat, and glasses.

image.png.575f784a76e20a899a62bd32875ecf9e.png

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Maybe I don't meet rude people because I read profiles before  I say hello to anyone, or say much past hello in reply when I'm imed.

Rude people tend to have rude profiles.

That’s nice, BilliJo. ??

1 hour ago, Nalytha said:

I remember the thread where you admit to having a past you aren't proud of and want to move on from. 

So, why is it so strange that Second Life might be filled with other people who do stuff they might later regret (or should)? 

I don’t know, you tell me. ??

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

That’s nice, BilliJo. ??

I don’t know, you tell me. ??

Maybe it's me, but I sense bitterness behind these responses. I hope I am just misreading the tone, text is a terrible indicator of true emotions and meaning.

But if I am, Ashlyn, maybe you need to consider a sea change. There are a lot of nice people in SL, a whole bunch. But you gotta to be nice to notice them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Maybe it's me, but I sense bitterness behind these responses. I hope I am just misreading the tone, text is a terrible indicator of true emotions and meaning.

But if I am, Ashlyn, maybe you need to consider a sea change. There are a lot of nice people in SL, a whole bunch. But you gotta to be nice to notice them.

No worries Callum about the ‘be nice’ aspect of things. I assure you I have been. ?? Also, I’ve interpreted text words the very same way as do all. And, I’ve read them as either sarcastic or rude. But, it’s text, right? How can we know?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

But, it’s text, right? How can we know?

Probably by inquiring, similar to what Callum did (although not an explicit question, I interpreted it as an inquiry, and as a caring statement).

Generally, I tend to give people the benefit of doubt, and interpret what they write as being meant in the best way to be interpreted.  Sometimes I'm wrong, but it's a method that work best for me most of the time. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

No worries Callum about the ‘be nice’ aspect of things. I assure you I have been. ?? Also, I’ve interpreted text words the very same way as do all. And, I’ve read them as either sarcastic or rude. But, it’s text, right? How can we know?

"I assure you I have been" - Maybe I'm just nit picky about statements like this, but you will never hear me say (seriously) I am nice, or that I don't insult people. I try to be nice (generally), but whether I succeed is not for me to say. I have inadvertently insulted people in the past. It happens, and when it does I apologize. Thankfully doesn't happen very often. I have seen people take offense, only to hear "I did not offend you" in response. That's a nonsense reply. I'd have no problem with "I did not intend to offend you".

I also have reason to believe you do not interpret text words the very same was as do all. I sure don't, and I see that all the time by observing how other people's responses differ from mine. Watching others helps me determine if I'm undesirably out-of-step.

I give the benefit of the doubt when I have doubt (which is almost always) in exchange for the hope that I'll receive it in kind. The result of all this is that my decade here has been full of wonderful encounters with wonderful people. If your experience has been vastly different, it's worth considering that the only constant in each of our lengthy experiences is us.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.