Second Life...

VGN34D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...has potential, if it was user-friendly, which is not. I tried to get immersed with this game the very first time (because people still think that SL is a thing, which is rather silly) and the FPS were choppy as hell on even the best PCs. Its baffling on how Linden Labs even overlook this type of issue. And the graphics are seriously outdated as well, which has never gotten the full HD/4K treatment whatsoever. Not to mention how limited the avatars are and you can't create it yourself, especially if you're new to SL, and the devs offer no tutorials whatsoever so they expect you to learn everything you've seen on YouTube videos (or not), and even tutorial videos found on YouTube regarding SL is not enough. You're basically an outcast around every veterans on SL, no matter how friendly. Not only that, they look seriously inappropriate, no matter how safe they seem (seriously, its there).

While I appreciate a HUGE amount of features SL has to offer, none has any interest of me (some even requires to pay a fee to take part, though I may be wrong, but even then it wouldn't matter much). If I ever want to interact with an online player, I'd rather do so elsewhere than in SL so I wouldn't have their character(s) follow me around for no reason (they're mostly stalkers anyway, no matter how friendly they seem). I can't really understand the concept of SL at all. Read about it, even tried it, uninstalled it afterwards without much of a second thought because of so many things wrong with it, mainly the outdated graphics, complicated UI, nonexistent character creation, tutorials are not there (even though YouTube has them, which again, is not enough), horrible optimization, and the online players are just... weird, especially since even the friendliest will end up devolving themselves into following you in the creepiest fashion.

And yes, I know there's "Linden Dollars", but the concept looks cheap and mundane, even looks like a chore to do which is a serious waste of time and effort (even competitions would require an entry fee AFAIK). If I want to earn money, I would rather do art work commissions or, better yet, get myself a real job. You can try and defend it, but in all fairness, most of us would rather not be stuck behind the PC doing virtual nonsense all the time and start socializing in real life and even working in the real world.

I know you guys will try to defend SL, but there's a thing called real life and virtual interests like education and other things makes you feel pretty isolated from the real world, and its unhealthy as well, especially if you prefer to stay unemployed instead of making a living (and no, Linden dollars is not enough, you need REAL money to maintain yourself though if you're an artist, fine. Its considered a hobby for many and getting money is fine so its safer than in SL, honestly). Call me wrong or whatever, but its the truth on how outdated SL is and many people need a serious reality check and move on to better things, because Linden Labs won't be improving much, especially towards newcomers like me. I tried to like SL, but it made me dislike it and uninstalled it afterwards. Unless they take updating graphics seriously along with other things mentioned, I'm basically staying away from it, and I suggest you do the same, doesn't matter how many years you've been to SL. Its become obviously devoid for the many.

I shall bid you all adieu.

6 minutes ago, Tex Monday said:

I would say that I am sorry that your experience here was unpleasant and offer to help but odds are you're just a troll looking for emotional feedback and probably deleted your account anyway...so what's the point?

The ones who really plan to leave, just leave. The trolls write long huffy screeds about why they are going to leave, then don’t. 

• Like 10

Not sure if serious...

Yes, SL handles like a shopping cart. That's because it's a 14 year old video game that wasn't well made 14 years ago. And the reason things look outdated is because everything in SL is user created. Some stuff looks great, but the bar is pretty low and so things don't always look great.

All I can say is that it sounds like you are looking at SL the wrong way. Try seeing it for what it is instead of comparing it to AAA closed, modern games. If you truly don't like SL, fine, but it's clear that you are approaching it with unrealistic and loaded expectations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Because everything you said was completely wrong, even if it was just opinion, it was completely ignorant.

Careful with sweeping statements...

5 hours ago, VGN34D said:

if it was user-friendly, which is not.

He got that one right at least. :P

And also:

--

horrible optimization

and of of course:

complicated UI

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Really? Tell me just one game or online plattform, where you have more possibilities than in sl. Just one, please.
No, i dont expect an answer, you may leave.

bonvoyage.jpg

If we are talking of only humans, likely the OP was with his limited knowledge, then Black Desert Online clearly comes to mind as an environment with vastly superior character creation to second life. (skip to about 32:00 to get a rough idea how primitive SL's sliders are)

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

If we are talking of humans, likely the OP was with his limited knowledge, then Black Desert Online clearly comes to mind as an environment with vastly superior character creation to second life. (skip to about 7:40 to get a rough idea how primitive SL's sliders are

Yes, that would be pretty handy to change everything you need, just by using 10x more sliders and options than we have now.
When i tried to make my sl avatar looking like myself, i had a big trouble, because you cant even adjust the angle of the eyebrows, for example.
But, what you cant do inside sl, or what you cant do in blender or photoshop, other people will build for you and sell it at the marketplace.

8 hours ago, VGN34D said:

...has potential, if it was user-friendly, which is not. I tried to get immersed with this game the very first time (because people still think that SL is a thing, which is rather silly) and the FPS were choppy as hell on even the best PCs. Its baffling on how Linden Labs even overlook this type of issue. And the graphics are seriously outdated as well, which has never gotten the full HD/4K treatment whatsoever. Not to mention how limited the avatars are and you can't create it yourself, especially if you're new to SL, and the devs offer no tutorials whatsoever so they expect you to learn everything you've seen on YouTube videos (or not), and even tutorial videos found on YouTube regarding SL is not enough. You're basically an outcast around every veterans on SL, no matter how friendly. Not only that, they look seriously inappropriate, no matter how safe they seem (seriously, its there).

While I appreciate a HUGE amount of features SL has to offer, none has any interest of me (some even requires to pay a fee to take part, though I may be wrong, but even then it wouldn't matter much). If I ever want to interact with an online player, I'd rather do so elsewhere than in SL so I wouldn't have their character(s) follow me around for no reason (they're mostly stalkers anyway, no matter how friendly they seem). I can't really understand the concept of SL at all. Read about it, even tried it, uninstalled it afterwards without much of a second thought because of so many things wrong with it, mainly the outdated graphics, complicated UI, nonexistent character creation, tutorials are not there (even though YouTube has them, which again, is not enough), horrible optimization, and the online players are just... weird, especially since even the friendliest will end up devolving themselves into following you in the creepiest fashion.

And yes, I know there's "Linden Dollars", but the concept looks cheap and mundane, even looks like a chore to do which is a serious waste of time and effort (even competitions would require an entry fee AFAIK). If I want to earn money, I would rather do art work commissions or, better yet, get myself a real job. You can try and defend it, but in all fairness, most of us would rather not be stuck behind the PC doing virtual nonsense all the time and start socializing in real life and even working in the real world.

I know you guys will try to defend SL, but there's a thing called real life and virtual interests like education and other things makes you feel pretty isolated from the real world, and its unhealthy as well, especially if you prefer to stay unemployed instead of making a living (and no, Linden dollars is not enough, you need REAL money to maintain yourself though if you're an artist, fine. Its considered a hobby for many and getting money is fine so its safer than in SL, honestly). Call me wrong or whatever, but its the truth on how outdated SL is and many people need a serious reality check and move on to better things, because Linden Labs won't be improving much, especially towards newcomers like me. I tried to like SL, but it made me dislike it and uninstalled it afterwards. Unless they take updating graphics seriously along with other things mentioned, I'm basically staying away from it, and I suggest you do the same, doesn't matter how many years you've been to SL. Its become obviously devoid for the many.

I shall bid you all adieu.

Didn't Aesop tell this story a long time ago? "The Kitsune and the Sour Grapes"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

But, what you cant do inside sl, or what you cant do in blender or photoshop, other people will build for you and sell it at the marketplace.

Absolutely agreed :) 

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Unlikely... Aesop, wouldn't have known of Japan, let alone Japanese folklore creatures like Kitsune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Glad you knew of the tale. Or tail maybe?

I'm more likely to pull my Aristophanes off the bookshelf than Aesop, to be fair, especially with that "first known use of regional accents for comic effect" thing Aristophanes does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

If we are talking of only humans, likely the OP was with his limited knowledge, then Black Desert Online clearly comes to mind as an environment with vastly superior character creation to second life. (skip to about 32:00 to get a rough idea how primitive SL's sliders are)

Oh man, I spent ages making my character for Black Desert Online... but I left because once you reach a certain point you are thrown into PVP and can basically be killed anywhere at any time for no reason and with my ping, it means a lot of deaths. Add to it the staff announced one thing, then after spending $100 they changed their mind and said nope, what we said before wasn't right too bad.

• Like 2

My take-away from the OP's post is that if SL worked better and was more user-friendly, he/she would be quite happy to become part of our community of sad, isolated, unemployed people who have forgotten what real life is :D

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

My take-away from the OP's post is that if SL worked better and was more user-friendly, he/she would be quite happy to become part of our community of sad, isolated, unemployed people who have forgotten what real life is :D

Hey! I resent that! I am not unemployed! ^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Yes dear, I know... FOX, 4 legged animal,  carnivore, not... Kitsune, nine tailed Japanese supernatural vulpine being etc., etc., 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

So it is the Japanese word for "4 legged animal, carnivore."

In addition to being a very common Second Life furry avatar.

Are you up to speed yet?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.