How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

On 6/14/2024 at 7:14 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

BD definitely does handle colours differently than the other viewers, and I do recall that difference being referred to as "tone mapping," but what I don't remember (and I've been all over BD, and have been using it for a number of years) is any feature that allowed one to manually adjust this. But @NiranV Dean might be able to comment.

In any case, the colour range in BD absolutely is broader and richer than I've found in any other viewer; it's one of the reasons I use BD for pics.

Tone Mapping was just the part that compressed the color range back from HDR into the normal non-HDR range. BD however never supported HDR (although it did support a couple select very few things to be rendered outside of the non-HDR range). Tone Mapping was mainly used to compress the color range further into a range that we as humans perceive as more realistic, all the while attempting to keep contrasts working, the outcome was what many people describe as "muted" or "washed out" colors. It was a very controversal and hot topic, people didn't like that it washed out colors and made everything look less colorful but at the same time liked that it made the images and colors "pop". Tone Mapping had a range of several options that could be changed as desired.

Color Correction was the second part of this equation that was necessary to bring back some contrasts and essentially undo most of the "washing out" that Tone Mapping did in its default configuration. Some people (for some reason) turned Color Correction off and wondered why everything looked so bright and flat. Same the other way around, disabling Tone Mapping but leaving Color Correction and then wonder why everything is so extremely contrast-y.

BD was by default (and intended) using the Rheinhard Tone Mapping style (which is known to compress colors and "mute" them a lot but also was the closest to realistic from the available presets at the time) with some tweaks and a custom Color Correction preset.

Now with PBR ALL Viewers have both Tone Mapping and Color Correction by default, but LL opted for Linear Tone Mapping (which is the absolute worst kind, hence why everything is so overblown) although they did move mostly to a mix between ACES and Linear Tone Mapping (i think it was 80% ACES / 20% Linear) which made it look a lot better and closer to what BD originally had (and ultimately wanted to achieve). It still looks quite a bit different of course due to the completely different implementation but its usable now (although could be better). However LL's implementation gives you 0 options because they want everyone to get the same result. I'm of course absolutely against this nonsense and want options back so i'll look into making things configurable eventually down the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Well, I did try the Desert EEP and it's i nteresting how different things can turn out despite a similar basis.

That Summer Energy

Also this kind of reflects my energy after days of trying :P

I find that even relatively minute changes to, for instance, the direction of sun can make an enormous difference in terms to tone, the balance of light/dark, contrast and saturation, etc. It's both the power, and frustration, of EEP that you can do so much with it -- frustration because it's not necessarily intuitive, and one ends up spending huge amounts of time experimenting to get it "right." As I'm quite sure I don't need to tell you!

It's also why the rather slapdash approach that LL has taken to EEP in the context of PBR really annoys me. Because PBR changes EEP a lot, and we all, as a result, now have a library full of EEP settings that honestly don't look very good anymore. Eventually I have to sit down and spend some serious time producing a new selection of basic EEPs that I like for PBR, but I'm honestly dreading it, so I'm putting it off.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Tone Mapping was just the part that compressed the color range back from HDR into the normal non-HDR range. BD however never supported HDR (although it did support a couple select very few things to be rendered outside of the non-HDR range). Tone Mapping was mainly used to compress the color range further into a range that we as humans perceive as more realistic, all the while attempting to keep contrasts working, the outcome was what many people describe as "muted" or "washed out" colors. It was a very controversal and hot topic, people didn't like that it washed out colors and made everything look less colorful but at the same time liked that it made the images and colors "pop". Tone Mapping had a range of several options that could be changed as desired.

Color Correction was the second part of this equation that was necessary to bring back some contrasts and essentially undo most of the "washing out" that Tone Mapping did in its default configuration. Some people (for some reason) turned Color Correction off and wondered why everything looked so bright and flat. Same the other way around, disabling Tone Mapping but leaving Color Correction and then wonder why everything is so extremely contrast-y.

BD was by default (and intended) using the Rheinhard Tone Mapping style (which is known to compress colors and "mute" them a lot but also was the closest to realistic from the available presets at the time) with some tweaks and a custom Color Correction preset.

Now with PBR ALL Viewers have both Tone Mapping and Color Correction by default, but LL opted for Linear Tone Mapping (which is the absolute worst kind, hence why everything is so overblown) although they did move mostly to a mix between ACES and Linear Tone Mapping (i think it was 80% ACES / 20% Linear) which made it look a lot better and closer to what BD originally had (and ultimately wanted to achieve). It still looks quite a bit different of course due to the completely different implementation but its usable now (although could be better). However LL's implementation gives you 0 options because they want everyone to get the same result. I'm of course absolutely against this nonsense and want options back so i'll look into making things configurable eventually down the line.

Thanks for all the details!

• Like 3