How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Another outtake, with minor adjustments to hair glitching and the bikini bottom laces. Otherwise, pretty much out of Black Dragon (for those who care about such things).

Out-to-Sea-Blank.thumb.png.4fd1348437c9e142ea23d3750c27161d.png

@ValKalAstra -- the EEP I used for the shot above, and for this one, is a slightly modified version of Desert Sunset from the EEP library. I shifted the sun about for each shot, and reduced the Gamma a bit (which you can't do, or at least it doesn't accomplish anything, in the newer PBR viewers). To compensate for the latter, and to reduce the darkness of the shadows, I increased the "Effect" slider of the Ambient Occlusion setting. There may have been some other slight adjustments that I can't remember (I made this EEP a while ago), but those are the main ones. I'm not sure what you mean by tone mapping?

Thank you very much. Now to find a beach and try it myself. The tonemapping is something I was sure that Black Dragon did offer. I think it had various options such as Reinhard and custom settings. I've got very limited knowledge of what it is precisely, since it's all math, curves and what not but I think it adjusts the brightness levels in a picture to better bring out contrast, colors etc by tweaking it towards what displays are good at.

I'm an idiot though and someone is gonna smack me if I try any further so I just link to someplace else, that I think is a decent overview, even if written for a 3D software: https://learn.foundry.com/modo/content/help/pages/rendering/tone_mapping.html

I haven't used BD since the PBR switch and just double checked and now I doubt my sanity because that option doesn't seem to be there anymore and now I am not sure it ever was.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Thank you very much. Now to find a beach and try it myself. The tonemapping is something I was sure that Black Dragon did offer. I think it had various options such as Reinhard and custom settings. I've got very limited knowledge of what it is precisely, since it's all math, curves and what not but I think it adjusts the brightness levels in a picture to better bring out contrast, colors etc by tweaking it towards what displays are good at.

I'm an idiot though and someone is gonna smack me if I try any further so I just link to someplace else, that I think is a decent overview, even if written for a 3D software: https://learn.foundry.com/modo/content/help/pages/rendering/tone_mapping.html

I haven't used BD since the PBR switch and just double checked and now I doubt my sanity because that option doesn't seem to be there anymore and now I am not sure it ever was.

BD definitely does handle colours differently than the other viewers, and I do recall that difference being referred to as "tone mapping," but what I don't remember (and I've been all over BD, and have been using it for a number of years) is any feature that allowed one to manually adjust this. But @NiranV Dean might be able to comment.

In any case, the colour range in BD absolutely is broader and richer than I've found in any other viewer; it's one of the reasons I use BD for pics.

7 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

@Scylla Rhiadra, that's absolutely awesome lighting, in the above shot, too. My laptop would be toast, but dang, those are some nice graphics.

Thank you! I'm using an absolutely ancient desktop for my photos (we're talking 14 years old ancient), but it was built for gaming and has what is obviously still a really powerful NVidia graphics card. It's actually not super great for everyday SL use, but, when it's not being cranky, it can still take pics at very high settings.

• Like 5

Logo released a new unisex head. I'm trying to see if I could make it look like Greg.

UnisexLogoOnGreg.thumb.jpg.3111341b6814c5dcf2b6da2e02a16f82.jpg

ETA: Tried my old Avarosa skin and I think I'm getting closer to sold.

UnisexLogoHeadAvarosaSkin.thumb.jpg.375285904ae83cdae42268f82ea9a483.jpg

Edited by Eddy Vortex
added second head shot
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Thank you very much. Now to find a beach and try it myself. The tonemapping is something I was sure that Black Dragon did offer. I think it had various options such as Reinhard and custom settings. I've got very limited knowledge of what it is precisely, sin..........

Talking about images is difficult. We have the tech jargon; tone-mapping, contrast, HDR, vibrance, saturation... which are helpful when we try to talk about what needs to be done to an image or for finding the right tools in an editor's menus. But unless you both learned from similar sources the terms tend to be a bit ambiguous. And there is no way to simplify the terms. The best we can do is refer to the long winded explanations, as you did.

If you can make an image look good, the terminology doesn't matter that much. Especially when one uses AI to modify the image. One can skip all the jargon and say 'Make it prettier.' 🤔

SS2024-June_001.jpg.48f680969c377ba859632bb79d263ace.jpg

This is the Server and Scripting UG held on Tuesdays @ 12 SLT. Raw image.

The Windlight/EEP settings were done by Whirly, if I remember correctly.

SS2024-June_001m.jpg.3bf5959152e62ca86882cce90edf5bfc.jpg

This is the same image. I told AI to add stars to the sky. Make it red.

If you are interested in what's coming next and where a project is in the cue, this is one of two meetings you need to follow. Or read Inara's blog if you can't make the meetings.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Slayer Thurston said:

And some changes and the evolution ended in this Form. :)

Almighty.jpg

Casually rolling in here with the final boss drip. Really cool outfit!

---

10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Talking about images is difficult. We have the tech jargon; tone-mapping, contrast, HDR, vibrance, saturation... which are helpful when we try to talk about what needs to be done to an image or for finding the right tools in an editor's menus. But unless you both learned from similar sources the terms tend to be a bit ambiguous. And there is no way to simplify the terms. The best we can do is refer to the long winded explanations, as you did.

If you can make an image look good, the terminology doesn't matter that much. Especially when one uses AI to modify the image. One can skip all the jargon and say 'Make it prettier.' 🤔

SS2024-June_001.jpg.48f680969c377ba859632bb79d263ace.jpg

This is the Server and Scripting UG held on Tuesdays @ 12 SLT. Raw image.

The Windlight/EEP settings were done by Whirly, if I remember correctly.

SS2024-June_001m.jpg.3bf5959152e62ca86882cce90edf5bfc.jpg

This is the same image. I told AI to add stars to the sky. Make it red.

If you are interested in what's coming next and where a project is in the cue, this is one of two meetings you need to follow. Or read Inara's blog if you can't make the meetings.

Oh yah, AI. Hmm. Maybe it's worth having a discussion over the use of it for SL images (maybe if we find enough folks interested, we can offload that into it's own thread). I'm not fundamentally opposed to it and have experimented with it in the past. However an important part of my enjoyment in taking pictures is to understand the technology I am using and to learn from others how they work.

It changes how the mind looks at a picture. What I have found with AI is that while it can make visually very pleasing images, it's no replacement for manual editing. Yet.

Case in point (and I don't say this to be mean), your example image shows that the segmentation mask was not applied correctly, such as the castle tower and wizard hat being swallowed up by the sky replacement and I'd also probably make an IC-Light pass for more coherent lighting, then blend the base image and the AI result selectively.

What I am saying is, I appreciate your post but find that the future lies in understanding, not just application. I'm of the, perhaps silly, belief that the path ahead is the combination of knowledge and technology. Not just either/or. As such, while certain things can be befuddling and overly complicated, I feel that understanding what they are helps tremendously in making more interesting and coherent pictures, if that makes sense. I also realise that the majority of people probably neither care nor notice, if the reactions to obvious AI images in SL photo groups is any indication.

Sadly, I do. I'm my own worst critic there.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 6

This incredibly carefully composed and bootiful picture of my caboose is definitely NOT an excuse to remind everyone on this thread that today at Noon SLT is the opening of "I Am a Camera: The Faces of the Second Life Forums," the first in what will hopefully be at least two exhibitions featuring images from this thread by YOU, the posters here.

I would absolutely NEVER produce an image merely to draw you in-world in a couple of hours to listen to music curated by @SlammedSam, dance, and admire the pictures produced by your friends and fellows posters here.

Uh uh. Cuz that would be against the rules.

(SLURL in my signature. But sssssshhhhhh!)

Ready-Blank.thumb.png.63881f34c1b034cfdd07f3c37c5f0e4a.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 16