How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sometimes.

Sometimes-(Colour)-Blank.thumb.png.02ad78a54784ba36df892377269ac88a.png

This is a very beautiful and deeply moody pic, as all of yours are. I don't understand what you're trying to express with it though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

This is a very beautiful and deeply moody pic, as all of yours are. I don't understand what you're trying to express with it though.

I showed this picture to Maddy earlier today, and outright asked her, "So, what's happening here?" Her answers, which I'm pretty sure she won't mind me quoting, were:

Oh, I'm sure there's a wrong answer and I'm gonna find it.
If that's a computer in the foreground, you've just been caught sexing around in SL.
If that's a refrigerator, you've eaten all the pie's crust, leaving him only the filling.

She also suggested that perhaps I was viewing the body, and considering where best to bury it.

Any and all of those work for me! Less facetiously, though . . . the point of these pics was to provide a somewhat candid view of "me," at least as I see myself. And it is a sad fact that the vast majority of moments in my life have no "meaning" that one could really articulate, or that would make sense to anyone but me.

When I conceived this shot, I had my own sense of the context (the setting is actually a diner) and context, as well as what was running through my mind. But the latter is so trivial and personal that it would make no sense trying to communicate it. A camera capturing it wouldn't capture any of that. It would record me . . . just being, in the course of a relatively insignificant moment in my life. And that's what I think I did catch. Sort of.

But I think Maddy's answers are better, don't you?

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I showed this picture to Maddy earlier today, and outright asked her, "So, what's happening here?" Her answers, which I'm pretty sure she won't mind me quoting, were:

She also suggested that perhaps I was viewing the body, and considering where best to bury it.

Any and all of those work for me! Less facetiously, though . . . the point of these pics was to provide a somewhat candid view of "me," at least as I see myself. And it is a sad fact that the vast majority of moments in my life have no "meaning" that one could really articulate, or that would make sense to anyone but me.

When I conceived this shot, I had my own sense of the context (the setting is actually a diner) and context, as well as what was running through my mind. But the latter is so trivial and personal that it would make no sense trying to communicate it. A camera capturing it wouldn't capture any of that. It would record me . . . just being, in the course of a relatively insignificant moment in my life. And that's what I think I did catch. Sort of.

LOl, no. Your explanation makes much more sense.

P.S: You could always bury it on the Island. No one would find out...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I would have said she's being belittled by the guy on the left side of the picture, but that's probably me being influenced by your exhibition Virtual Toxic, which I saw a few days ago and found terrific. I mean the exhibited pictures are really nice and disturbing at the same time because of the situation which led to them. That's the kind of art I like. Something which wakes emotions and provokes thoughts. So congrats. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Always, but not just Maddy's, but anyone who looks at art. People will ask me what a picture of mine means, I often want to just throw that question back at them. What is important is not what I am trying to say, but rather what does the viewer see. What thoughts has the image inspired in the viewer? Art is supposed to make you think, and if you need to know my thoughts about, it shouldn't require that you be told what the artist was thinking, it should inspire enough thoughts of your own.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Isaac Ashton said:

I would have said she's being belittled by the guy on the left side of the picture, but that's probably me being influenced by your exhibition Virtual Toxic, which I saw a few days ago and found terrific. I mean the exhibited pictures are really nice and disturbing at the same time because of the situation which led to them. That's the kind of art I like. Something which wakes emotions and provokes thoughts. So congrats. 

I think that's a totally legitimate read of this picture. I wanted, at some level, the pic to be a bit unsettling . . . and your suggestion captures that.

And thank you for the kind words about my exhibit!!

7 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

Always, but not just Maddy's, but anyone who looks at art. People will ask me what a picture of mine means, I often want to just throw that question back at them. What is important is not what I am trying to say, but rather what does the viewer see. What thoughts has the image inspired in the viewer? Art is supposed to make you think, and if you need to know my thoughts about, it shouldn't require that you be told what the artist was thinking, it should inspire enough thoughts of your own.

I have nothing to add except that most of the art that I like best deliberately sets up the conditions you describe here. Really interesting pictures make the viewer a part of the creative process -- it should become their picture too.

Maddy has sometimes taken that to extremes and outright appropriated my pics, producing parody versions. My lawyers will be filing about that soon.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

With Scylla's pic, I asked because she made me think. Made me wonder: "what's going on here?". She very effectively brought me "in". Wanting to know more.

I disagree with you that art is supposed to make us think. When I look at your pics with windswept grassy fields, I don't think. I just "feel" as if I were there. That's why I enjoy seeing them.

• Like 4