Wishful Thinking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the things that has not changed in SL since I been in  here for 10 years is the dreaded Inventory, it just gets bigger and bigger, one thing that would be a godsend to have the ability to tidying up your invent offline, I know the problems of items having no perms  but I talking about just have the ability to move, rename, and delete, no saving on Pc would be an options, maybe it could work on a sync system whereby you tidy up your inventory and then sync up bit like how most phone software works, when you organise this on the then upload to phone, maybe also having inventory  on cloud oh colour code folders would be a great help, I think  poeple coming into SL at times a bit like finishing work and coming home, really who has the time to sit there and tidy up the invent online with loads of distraction, think offline would be much better.   Anyways it a though,  let's see what you lot think.

Now I know I going to get people typing in saying this is impossible  believe me nothing is impossible not with today's technology 

• Like 2

It's not impossible, no. It doesn't need the inventory items to  be sent to your computer. It only needs their names together with a pointer to the item in the assets system. When you log in after sorting, your reorganised inventory wouldn't automatically upload, of course - you may not have finished reorganising it. You would need to check an option to tell the viewer to upload the new organisation. So it could be done, but my belief is that the Title you gave to this thread is very accurate - Wishful Thinking :)

If it were implemented, I can imagine people doing fresh uploads on a large percentage of the times they log in. A little tweak here, upload, a little tweak there, upload. And that would need some serious extra resources to handle, which is why I can't see LL doing it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

Something like that would help me a great deal. My inventory got out of control during the years when I was most ill and trying to get it cleaned up and reduced has been more than I can manage. It's a huge task now and I really need a way to break it down into smaller bits without getting distracted by a hundred other folders.

With something like your proposal, it would be easier for me to do a bit here and there, or set up sorting/cleaning projects to do inworld.

What I would really like is a way to put infrequently used items into a separate searchable folder structure which isn't downloaded every single time I log in. We don't have a house on the sim at present, but probably will again. Do I box it all up (and undo the nice multi-layered folder structure I spent so much time creating) or do I keep letting it add to my inventory count? Same thing with seasonal decor and such. IMO it would be nice to have the option to choose whether or not those things were loaded up at any given log-in.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Someone tried to create something like this years ago - SL My Inventory.  I never could get it to connect and stay connected, so I have no clue if it ever actually worked as proposed.

You remember correctly...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_My_Inventory_Viewer

I recall using it for about two minutes before flicking it into the trash. I tried a few other inventory management tools over the years. Second Life has turned all of us into Fibber McGee...

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

One of the things that has not changed in SL since I been in  here for 10 years is the dreaded Inventory, it just gets bigger and bigger, one thing that would be a godsend to have the ability to tidying up your invent offline, I know the problems of items having no perms  but I talking about just have the ability to move, rename, and delete, no saving on Pc would be an options, maybe it could work on a sync system whereby you tidy up your inventory and then sync up bit like how most phone software works, when you organise this on the then upload to phone, maybe also having inventory  on cloud oh colour code folders would be a great help, I think  poeple coming into SL at times a bit like finishing work and coming home, really who has the time to sit there and tidy up the invent online with loads of distraction, think offline would be much better.   Anyways it a though,  let's see what you lot think.

Now I know I going to get people typing in saying this is impossible  believe me nothing is impossible not with today's technology 

In theory it sounds like a fantastic idea. I am sure if we could sort out our inventories offline, we would at least get a little further through the task than when we are in world with such easy distractions.

Having said that, I really need some help with my real life inventory, which seems to have got out of hand! (My new year's resolution this year was to de-clutter, a corner at a time - and I am afraid I haven't got very far.)

• Like 1

In real life your have fewer distractions maybe a couple of friends the doorbell and phone, but in Sl with what friends list, mates, group notices IM's you would not last long, I know you can put the do not disturb sign  but really not really practical,, the concept would be great to organise it offline

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I really need some help with my real life inventory, which seems to have got out of hand! (My new year's resolution this year was to de-clutter, a corner at a time - and I am afraid I haven't got very far.)

I've actually been making progress here. I've donated several carloads of stuff to various non-profits and charities and I've unloaded a room full of furniture on my boarder. It feels good to open a drawer or closet door and see what you're looking for without digging. It does take some mental recalibration to avoid regret when you need a thing you just gave a way, but I'm getting there.

There are really very few things we need. Freedom from clutter might just be one of them.

;-).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are times during the day when the forums get a little slow.  Inventory work would be a great way to fill those times.  Granted, since I'm usually at work during the day, I should actually be working, but.....

but .............. why?

• Like 1

I don't know how many times I had been tempted to just click the top folder and go all the way down,shift click,trash..

But,there is always that voice in the back of my head that comes forward before I do it..

Ceka! What are you crazy or something?! \o/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't know how many times I had been tempted to just click the top folder and go all the way down,shift click,trash..

But,there is always that voice in the back of my head that comes forward before I do it..

Ceka! What are you crazy or something?! \o/

and still... DO IT... it's the only way.....you know it!

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

I very rarely go through folders looking for anything. I just use search. I periodically move things into folders like all the chairs into a chair folder -- just to keep the object folder below 10K, so it loads properly. I also have Object sub folders I put old stuff in, by time period -- e.g. "Before 2009"

Edited by Pamela Galli

10 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I very rarely go through folders looking for anything. I just use search.

That works if you're one of those people who has the foresight to rename everything, or only buys stuff from others. But what about me, who's inventory of 10,000 items contains 8,000 things named "Object"?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I very rarely go through folders looking for anything. I just use search.

I feel proud of myself when I actually remember the name of some specific thing so I can use search.  Most of the time it is browsing through folders.  I may know I want to wear a sweater but which one?  What is it called? Don't even get me started on shoes.  Even if I know exactly which pair I want there is no way I can remember the names for all of them.

• Like 3

past year i worked through my whole inventory and deleted really everything i didn't use.

Went down from nearly 60.000 back to 8000.

I'm no creator, left that trail when the sculpts came inworld( yes i'm that old.) :) only modify things now, but that makes deleting objects a lot easier.

Since than slighly rising again, but keep deleting the things i don;t use.

I assure you... it feels better with less....  .. :P

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That works if you're one of those people who has the foresight to rename everything, or only buys stuff from others. But what about me, who's inventory of 10,000 items contains 8,000 things named "Object"?

Yes, I name everything something I am likely to remember one keyword of. And I don't buy or change clothes. :-)

50 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Only 10,000?  Slacker

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Even if I know exactly which pair I want there is no way I can remember the names for all of them.

Especially given the way so many merchants use a woman's name instead of anything descriptive. Probably with a slightly different spelling than the item from another creator with a nearly but not quite identical name. Hmm, is the one I want Stefani, Stephanie or Steffi? Oh wait, it was Stevie for the hair and Stefani for the jeans and Steffi for the necklace, but none of them are the one I would like to wear. :|

• Like 2

On 17/04/2017 at 7:07 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

You'd need to be logged in-world to sort through that lot so you can rez each of the 8,000 'Objects' in turn to see what it is. :D

Edited by Conifer Dada

I organize my inventory little by little by putting all loose items in a "Sort" folder. From there I label subfolders with 1,2,3,ect. I work on one folder at a time until its all sorted, renamed,unboxed, and deleted as I deem fit.

I agree it would be VERY nice to be able to sort offline but when you break up the workload like that, its not so bad. :3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.