The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone have a recommendation where I can find really nice winter shrubs and bushes? I've been searching high and low but it's a chore:

* Merchant does not have winter items rezzed in world anymore due to season change/Merchant has no store to begin with
* Shrubs and bushes I do come across only look nice with full bright, which is a no no for me
* The 'winter' 'frosty' 'snow' shrubs and bushes look as if they've been standing next to a road. Grey, sometimes a little sooty, I'd like a pristine & vibrant shades of white without the use of full bright, perhaps a little color too. Dark branches with red berries would be awesome as well!

Basically looking for the high quality stuff here, no flat textures, no drab grey, no full bright. A soft glow would be fine, can be a fantasy plant, too. I don't care if it's mesh or sculpt, both can look very very nice in the end.

Any know a merchant fitting my tastes? I want to give them all the moneys!

11 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Does anyone have a recommendation where I can find really nice winter shrubs and bushes? I've been searching high and low but it's a chore:

* Merchant does not have winter items rezzed in world anymore due to season change/Merchant has no store to begin with
* Shrubs and bushes I do come across only look nice with full bright, which is a no no for me
* The 'winter' 'frosty' 'snow' shrubs and bushes look as if they've been standing next to a road. Grey, sometimes a little sooty, I'd like a pristine & vibrant shades of white without the use of full bright, perhaps a little color too. Dark branches with red berries would be awesome as well!

Basically looking for the high quality stuff here, no flat textures, no drab grey, no full bright. A soft glow would be fine, can be a fantasy plant, too. I don't care if it's mesh or sculpt, both can look very very nice in the end.

If cost isn't an issue these are the stores I shop in the most for landscaping:

Hayabusa

Botanica

Little Branch

Studio Skye

Alirium

Happy Mood

Heart

KIdd

All of them have winter trees/bushes/grass which look great and some have texture change HUDS, so even though pricey you get more bang for your buck.  

Edit: Do you know you can turn "full bright" off for nearly all objects?

Edited by Elora Lunasea
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

DDD has color change (bare branches) for their new-ish bushes and you can try them inworld. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DDD-Swaying-Leafy-Bushes-Animated-Season-Change-XL-Bushes/13154950

I also love Landscaping by Felix, especially his sets. I have this one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Birch-Forest-Building-Set-21-Module-Seasons-Hud-copy-mody/10233171

You can teleport inworld and test this too. There are other kits like maple and wintergreen. I rez one of the pieces and then pick off what I don't like/don't need.

Edit: This is the winter section, it's afternoon windlight so they are not pink! I really love the snow road.

winter_001sm.jpg.d60df7cecedee93798d41af

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The kitchen. This is the "What Next" side:

5abf3cb26b3c3_kitchen2_003.thumb.jpg.5f31ac2df025eee7446f927898d97bb6.jpg

All here besides the rug, crate with apples and one chalkboard is from there.

And this is mostly the Kitchenette from Trompe Loeil.

5abf3d0fa439c_kitchen2_006.thumb.jpg.e0912e13398dd24e6cb2b194722a4003.jpg

Fridge from Bazar, rud is Lisp (I think) and the salvaged frames to the left is Second Spaces. Picture ladder from What Next and some table decor from Apple

• Like 10

Quick heads up, if you don't bother with Easter hunts because it is not things you can use after the season, you will find it worth your time to do THIS hunt. This store gives you a full greenhouse and it rezzes nice things like water hose and wellies.

I am hopeless to find things, but the egg was "hidden" in plain sight so even one like me can find it.

https://pureeggsspam.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/oh-the-memories-free-gift/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/30/2018 at 10:47 AM, Marianne Little said:

For your garden - go get this grass before it is too late and the prize is set up to normal. It is huge patches,  and there are color change and different sizes. The flower texture looks even better inworld. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DDD-Fairyflower-Grasses-Resize-Friendly-No-Alpha-Flicker/14326941

Thankies for posting the link! They were just what I was looking for :)

original_5ac168e1d9859c4c29000001.thumb.png.af2fbee6f907347c0f79e9e0863d5277.png

• Like 5

I caved in and bought another plot, in the same place - Innu.

This is a 1126 plot, 102 + 1024. Bought with group bonus. I wanted to see how much I could place in there and only use 50 LI on the land - plants, cliffs and beach. The boat and a pillow with sitting animations on the pier is included in the 50 LI.

Before:

5ac4ab5a65834_innu1120_001.jpg.a0c46f4c24445f1ad6178fd2dda701d2.jpg5ac4abdd3f347_innu1120_002.jpg.8e28be371a49eaabf6fc58f7169f9173.jpg

• Like 4

And after. Arrows show just where my land ends.

Notice how the tall privacy wall in the back looks pretty now, with my own trees in front of it?

I choose the same beach as the neighbor to the left, because it is pretty and it is nice to have continuity.

And exactly 50 LI. I think I will use the rest on a skybox.

Edit: The images is 2 days old, I fixed the edge in front so it isn't visible. Adjusted the cliffs a bit.

I have not been able to find a premade mesh prim with rounded edges that I can stretch so big without the LI going up. A rounded edge is more easy to bled in. If you know a mesh flat rectangle with rounded edges I can get, let me know. I got one from the MP, but it does not suit my needs.

after_005.jpg

after_007.jpg

after_002.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It's so pretty! How big is it?

Do you use custom windlight, or one of the Firestorm viewer settings?

Thank u Marianne! Its a 4096 square on the corner of a beautiful sim (⌒‿⌒)

I actually use Black Dragon viewer with a few tweaked graphics settings, ambient occlusion, depth of field and field of view. Windlight is taken directly from the sim! Photos are post-processed using photoshop. °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

• Like 1

My house without the house..

HouseNoHouse_001-vert.thumb.jpg.99711a44fcc1c46d5939516067480f25.jpg

I'm finding it useful to think about what furniture to remove or swap out without the house in the way (I took the house elswhere for adjustments).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAULGOODiE said:

Thank u Marianne! Its a 4096 square on the corner of a beautiful sim (⌒‿⌒)

I actually use Black Dragon viewer with a few tweaked graphics settings, ambient occlusion, depth of field and field of view. Windlight is taken directly from the sim! Photos are post-processed using photoshop. °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

It was a viewer that needed a good graphic card. But oh, it shows SL in the best possible way!

I want to try it again, now. It will probably not end well.....

• Like 2

So I decided to take advantage of the improved tier and I bought some land, which is now a home to my alts. Indra won the "what shall we build?" debate...

5ac5475f0d50b_indraspalace1.png.2fde84b75056eb412ae6f6531fb1e516.png

5ac548fe4bca5_indraspalace2.png.bdaa015918506f0e2ab09efc6bec9497.png

5ac54784eb785_indraspalace3.png.06e429daec20c7f8942e7f20051e212f.png

5ac547aa69530_indraspalace4.png.778a6ef9c31f699cf2f5e6d61cbe33bb.png

(edited - had to smudge out some of the art in Pic 2 because it isn't exactly PG...)

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 12

On 30/03/2018 at 10:47 AM, Marianne Little said:

For your garden - go get this grass before it is too late and the prize is set up to normal. It is huge patches,  and there are color change and different sizes. The flower texture looks even better inworld. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DDD-Fairyflower-Grasses-Resize-Friendly-No-Alpha-Flicker/14326941

I got the grass, thanks to your post and the pics after...but when I rezzed it in a sandbox it all when squiffy sideways/diagonal..!

Are there things I don't know about landscaping...?

7 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

I got the grass, thanks to your post and the pics after...but when I rezzed it in a sandbox it all when squiffy sideways/diagonal..!

Are there things I don't know about landscaping...?

Did you click on it to get the different textures and sizes? One of the mesh flakes came with a winter texture that looks like pale grass with snow "clumps" on. To get the flower textures, you choose them from the HUD.

Plus that I - and probably Forest Child too - has a flat prim, sculpt or mesh with a different texture over the default Linden grass. I have a forest ground  texture with small flowers on my flat ground prim. The Linden ground grass looks sick.

This ground makes the flower and grass fields look dense and lush.

I can't log in and find where I got the texture. Until then, you can try this pack with free grass textures.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/15-Grass-Textures-Full-Perm-DT-Freebie-Collection/6175551

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Did you click on it to get the different textures and sizes? ..... To get the flower textures, you choose them from the HUD.

Doh! I totally missed that there's a HUD - it was the default 'square' shape that was looking dodgy. It's much better now that I've selected one of the round shapes :)

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I can't log in and find where I got the texture. Until then, you can try this pack with free grass textures.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/15-Grass-Textures-Full-Perm-DT-Freebie-Collection/6175551

More textures in my inventory never hurts :D

Thank you for your help! x

8 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

Doh! I totally missed that there's a HUD - it was the default 'square' shape that was looking dodgy. It's much better now that I've selected one of the round shapes :)

More textures in my inventory never hurts :D

Thank you for your help! x

I found the texture  used for the ground prim: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Grass-Textures-19-22/2689162?page=2

It's a very nice set.

And I bought a skybox that I set up with a more modern interior.

art_001.jpg

art_002.jpg

art_003.jpg

• Like 14

20180319_home_001.thumb.jpg.6eac8c09b81b4e6907860bde89a120ca.jpg

My home, a wonderful tropical island at Tuara Fiji with direct sailing to Blake Sea.

20180410_mountain_lodge_B.thumb.jpg.2d43120c2ebad27a14c09426bfe71eae.jpg

And new 1024m² parcel on mainland, my mountain lodge retreat at major road with connections to nearly all parts of Sansara, perfect for exploring on bicycle, bike or car.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.