The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Cormorants. Both these and the cat is from TLC. Sorry for the three similar pictures. I could not figure out what was the best light. What is your favorite?

como_004edsm.jpg

como_005edsm.jpg

como_002edsm.jpg

That's tough! I can't choose, they're all great! I would have had to post all as well because of that but if you forced me i'd pick 3.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This one is my favorite

The animations are nice and smooth. They don't hold out their wings all the time, but I took pictures then because it is more dramatic. The yellow kittycat has this "fishing" movement with his paw. Too cute!

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Zennessa said:

That's tough! I can't choose, they're all great! I would have had to post all as well because of that but if you forced me i'd pick 3.

I like #3 as well. I struggle with picking the best light too. I snapped 40 of this one with different windlights and filters.

sanctuary.thumb.jpg.293fcbc4afa0262c3a702ea1a96db74e.jpg

It was mostly an effort to keep my mind off other things.

• Like 10

So... I'm looking for recommendations for a low land impact kitchen and 'office desk'

My current kitchen comes in at 4LI, but is designed for a corner and I've fitted it against a straight wall. By contrast the 4 seater table there is 1LI - but I'm looking for style suggestions and this one is not exactly a match to my style preferences I'd prefer something smaller with 1-2 seats.

original_592cad3dd9859c187c000001.png

My current desk + desk chair comes in at 7 LI.

original_592cad8bd9859c1a92000001.png

And I bought a 'fire' for my fireplace, but I find that if I get more than a few scant meters from it, it vanishes. It's 1LI, but very low LOD. Looking for ideas:

original_592cadc3289dd24f3f000001.png

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4

On ‎30‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 1:28 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

My current kitchen comes in at 4LI, but is designed for a corner and I've fitted it against a straight wall.....

Look in the same shop (It is DDD, right?)

2 LI! I repeat, two LI. and for a straight wall.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DDD-Elegant-Victorian-Kitchen/5688304?page=3

• Like 1

Yeah that one has been on my "maybe" list. I need to look at it closer and see if it doesn't look too 'antique'.

I don't need one of those 87 LI 'sex stoves' after all. The [DDD] ones with no animations work for me. :P

(It might be nice to have some cooking anims... but I can settle... I had a kitchen with a whole animation pack for 3 years, and I used them maybe 3 times...)

Mostly this is a 'background piece' that makes an SL home feel more like a home and less like a 'this is where you log out' spot. :)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

*makes note to redecorate when she gets home*

I currently don't even have a house.  I simply log in and out on a platform in the sky.  I have been rezzing demo houses and checking them out, so I someday might have a house again.  Even when I had a house though, it didn't have a kitchen - I could find no functional purpose for it in SL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I currently don't even have a house.  I simply log in and out on a platform in the sky.  I have been rezzing demo houses and checking them out, so I someday might have a house again.  Even when I had a house though, it didn't have a kitchen - I could find no functional purpose for it in SL.

I set out a nice raw steak and a fondue pot, but Rhonda has been working late in the evenings. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Kitchens can be decorative, for role playing, or a combination of both. My Dinner Party kitchens integrate with my Dinner Party dining tables and have various animations.You can prepare an interactive meal* on the island , cook it, and serve it either on the island or dining table. Cooking utensils go directly to your hand to enhance immersion. Pretty to look at but made for Dinner Party role players.

* For example, layer toppings on the lasagna, enchiladas, or pizza, plus stir or chop ingredients, sample cookies, etc.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Kitchens can be decorative, for role playing, or a combination of both. My Dinner Party kitchens integrate with my Dinner Party dining tables and have various animations.You can prepare an interactive meal* on the island , cook it, and serve it either on the island or dining table. Cooking utensils go directly to your hand to enhance immersion. Pretty to look at but made for Dinner Party role players.

* For example, layer toppings on the lasagna, enchiladas, or pizza, plus stir or chop ingredients, sample cookies, etc.

I fully understand their usage for other folks - and BTW I absolutely love your kitchens.  Though I never understood adding a kitchen to a house but then only have a tub and/or shower in the bathroom - or not having a bathroom at all.  Those all seem like the same logic to me - creating a "real" looking house.

When I actually used my house before, for anything other than logging in/out and inventory work, it was for 'intimate encounters' and thus I had various furnishings for that activity - rugs, couches, bed, tub/shower.  I added misc decorations to make the overall look more appealing. I just never saw myself RPing a normal home life and thus never considered adding a kitchen.  

When I finally settle on a house this time, I'm going to outfit it more like a real home and put in a kitchen.  Probably even pay more attention to decorating and landscaping than I did before.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Though I never understood adding a kitchen to a house

You aren't the only one. My ex-hubby once worked for a bank VP who was planning a fancy new home. His fancy new wife (20 years his junior and oh so hot) was in charge of the design, working with an architect. She was a personal banker to the very top echelon of bank customers, and was accustomed to hobnobbing with the cream of local society. It seemed they were out dining with rich clientele every evening.

One day the VP got a call from the exasperated architect, who needed his help convincing her that their new home would someday have much greater resale value if it had...

...a kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A kitchen acts like decoration for me. Another sofa set? Why, I sit one place, and I don't entertain many. And where find such a large decor for 2 or 4 prims? I like stuff in every corner. Less is boring.

I might downprim to one of those DDD kitchens, even if I love my Bazar Kitchen. Going for a small land in the summer months.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There we go:

I think it looks good! I found out that I don't have a refridgerator. Where is yours from?

And that coffee making table! I really like that. Is it many LI? With all the cups and stuff. I wonder where you got it from.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

This is our "kitchenette"

kitchenette.thumb.jpg.f8159edccb39c4b689664cae2682a587.jpg

Rhonda and I leave all sorts of stuff on that little table for each other to find, a dancing raccoon, coffee cup tree...

When we get bored with it or run out of prims we return it and start over. 

I love that method of communication. I grew up in a household where it seemed only half the conversations were verbal. I now have the three stuffed posable bears that were constantly being posed around the house by someone (often me) when I was a child. If I wanted Dad to read me a book, I'd put the little bear in the daddy bear's lap. If I wanted cookies, I'd put the mommy bear in the pantry, on top of the flour and sugar bags.

I bought two bears of my own when I got married, and taught my ex-hubby the "method". Some of our poses were laugh-out-loud naughty, which got me to wondering if I'd missed some of the conversation between Mom and Dad when I was young. So I asked them, "Did I miss anything?". Their answer?

"Mmm hmm."

• Like 3

The bathroom has two windows that meet in the corner. That's why I had that long rectangular mirror. I simply edited it to fit over the window.

I took and copied another wall, and rotated it, took out the window frame so I could push the new wall with the same tiles so close as possible.

Old rectangular mirror bottom, two round ones at the top.

I think it is better. Looks softer, more whimsical. I saw that I don't like that the lamps is pressed so close to the window. I think I edit off a sink, and has just one sink and one mirror. Or I could edit the sinks some closer, maybe.

bathroom mirrors.jpg

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.