The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Kymrie said:

I've actually been thinking of hiring myself out as a decorator the last few weeks, but I have no idea how to do that or if I'm even good enough that people would want to hire me.

Well, if the gorgeous pic of your home is anything to go by, they'd be mad not to.. xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kymrie said:

I'm the opposite. I love decorating. I've actually been thinking of hiring myself out as a decorator the last few weeks, but I have no idea how to do that or if I'm even good enough that people would want to hire me. xP

In RL, somehow I manage to pull it off, even if I don't really "get in to it".  I get all sorts of complicates on the interior decorating of every room in the house that we've remodeled, with a few folks asking who I hired.  Personally, I think I just get lucky in that the misc things I like just end up going really well together.  Yet, for some reason I find the task daunting in SL. Maybe I just need to break it into smaller pieces and not put so much pressure on myself for perfection - I am really bad at the "I have to be perfect" crap.  I imagine I can probably fuddle my way throught the inside stuff, once I really put my mind to it.

As to the landscaping, I truly suck at even figuring it out.  We do not have a huge yard in RL, but we still paid someone to create us a landscape plan, with suggestions on where to put the paths and what sorts of trees & flowers and where to put them.  As of yet, we aren't willing to fork out the huge amount of cash to have someone else do it, so we are simply doing it in small stages, working from the blueprint the landscaper gave us.  I might pop around the grid, taking pictures of things I like, noting what exactly I like about them, and then actually hire the landscaping part out.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In RL, somehow I manage to pull it off, even if I don't really "get in to it".  I get all sorts of complicates on the interior decorating of every room in the house that we've remodeled, with a few folks asking who I hired.  Personally, I think I just get lucky in that the misc things I like just end up going really well together.  Yet, for some reason I find the task daunting in SL. Maybe I just need to break it into smaller pieces and not put so much pressure on myself for perfection - I am really bad at the "I have to be perfect" crap.  I imagine I can probably fuddle my way throught the inside stuff, once I really put my mind to it.

As to the landscaping, I truly suck at even figuring it out.  We do not have a huge yard in RL, but we still paid someone to create us a landscape plan, with suggestions on where to put the paths and what sorts of trees & flowers and where to put them.  As of yet, we aren't willing to fork out the huge amount of cash to have someone else do it, so we are simply doing it in small stages, working from the blueprint the landscaper gave us.  I might pop around the grid, taking pictures of things I like, noting what exactly I like about them, and then actually hire the landscaping part out.

I'm bad about needing everything to be perfect too. I got my SL yard to look cute, but I'm redoing the inside of the house for the third time this month because it just doesn't look right. Good thing I like it because I spend a whole lot of time working on it. xD

I really suck at getting motivated to do it IRL, though. My house is all cluttered and my yard is big, but it's all weeds except for the little patio where I keep my veggie garden. Even that's getting cluttered because I keep buying more plants. I want it to look nice, but there's just so much work involved. Working in stages might be the way to do it. It's more manageable when you're doing it on your own, and I'm not willing to hire somebody else for it either.

My Dad, who spent his career designing landscapes for people all over the US, would be ashamed of my pitiful little yard in RL.  I have two trees, a few nice-looking but small shrubs, and 1/4 acre of grass (which someone else mows). My days of doing ambitious landscapy things are behind me, and good riddance.  SL is a different story, though.  I can spend hours tweaking my land, adding a new tree here or there, smoothing a lump on the hillside, moving a garden wall half a meter, adjusting the specularity on rocks, re-scripting the sliding door to the onsen, or tweaking the bullfrog sounds by the pond.  It's never quite "right" and it's always quirkily eclectic, and then the seasons change .....  The result is all very relaxing and very satisfying, even if I am the only person who usually sees it.

5ab6bb3ca532e_Mariahcomposite3-24-18800px.png.950cda5307f2bb74f9366f685dc3a24a.png

• Like 9

I'm getting frustrated with the inside of my house again. It always ends up looking pretty similar to this. It isn't bad, but it doesn't suit me very well. I might have to give in and go for a massive shop at Half Deer or something.

Snapshot_015.jpg

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Kymrie said:

I'm getting frustrated with the inside of my house again. It always ends up looking pretty similar to this. It isn't bad, but it doesn't suit me very well. I might have to give in and go for a massive shop at Half Deer or something.

Snapshot_015.jpg

It's a good base but you're right it does seem to lack a bit of personality.

If you're headed for Half Deer let me know, I haven't been there for forever and it's one of my favorite stores, I'd be happy to tag along n.n

3 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

It's a good base but you're right it does seem to lack a bit of personality.

If you're headed for Half Deer let me know, I haven't been there for forever and it's one of my favorite stores, I'd be happy to tag along n.n

Haha, sure! I have no willpower in that place, so it'll be good to have a shopping buddy.

I'm pretty sure I bought most of Apple Fall when he did the clearance sale before moving a while back (you know, just because it was such a good deal).  And I've grabbed a variety of items from the various weekly sales over the last month or so, plus a few hunt items here and there.  Thus I refuse to go shopping until I go through all of it a few more times to really figure out what will or won't work in a new setup.

• Like 3

Tucked away in a thick winter forest lies a little piece of heaven.
Where snowfall never stops is my little abode. Probably forever a work in progress as I find bits and pieces to add~♥

zysGUvq.png

dXwHZnR.png

9PrpckE.png

Feel free to come visit if you'd like! Make yourself right at home if you please ♥

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Saimaa/143/101/34

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Like 11

Well my pics aren't as good as those above but here's my pad(s). The first one I built recently. I really wanted to be by the sea, but it's on mainland so in front (not shown) I put some sand and waves with sound effect. Very tranquil. Had to really reduce the draw so I don't have to look at the other builds around...

The second set are on my LL house. I really wanted a nice balcony with a decent view - had to change houses a few times till I go this one. So chuffed with it. Love chilling on the balcony. 

I've kinda got addicted to buying furniture and bits for my homes, even though I don't use most of what's in my inventory. 

Home1_001.jpg

Home2a_001.jpg

Home2b_001.jpg

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 8

Well, I finally went premium and got mainland.....

The big scary mainland with all its ugliness. I managed to find land in what must be a stylish part. Of course there can move in some ugliness, but it can do that on ordinary estates too.

And it has the whole front against protected land, and I must up draw distance well over 200 to see over to the other side of the ocean. So nothing will block my pretty sunset. Location is all.

innu_015.jpg

innu_003.jpg

innu_012.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Tucked away in a thick winter forest lies a little piece of heaven.
Where snowfall never stops is my little abode. Probably forever a work in progress as I find bits and pieces to add~♥

zysGUvq.png

dXwHZnR.png

9PrpckE.png

Feel free to come visit if you'd like! Make yourself right at home if you please ♥

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Saimaa/143/101/34

It's gorgeous! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Well, I finally went premium and got mainland.....

The big scary mainland with all its ugliness. I managed to find land in what must be a stylish part. Of course there can move in some ugliness, but it can do that on ordinary estates too.

And it has the whole front against protected land, and I must up draw distance well over 200 to see over to the other side of the ocean. So nothing will block my pretty sunset. Location is all.

Love your new place! And I've only caved in about a week ago to go premium and get my own land when I read they had updated the amount of free land you get.
So now my plot is 5408sqm but I only pay the tier for 4096sqm and all the additional prims they gave us are incredible, too. Over the past 11 years I always rented but coming back and finding these changes I took that plunge, too!

I derendered my neighbours water parcel so now I have clear view of the water as well xD

Any uglieness that might pop up here and there will be shamelessly derendered, too! Blacklist, blacklist everything! :ph34r:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Love your new place! And I've only caved in about a week ago to go premium and get my own land when I read they had updated the amount of free land you get.
So now my plot is 5408sqm but I only pay the tier for 4096sqm and all the additional prims they gave us are incredible, too. Over the past 11 years I always rented but coming back and finding these changes I took that plunge, too!

I derendered my neighbours water parcel so now I have clear view of the water as well xD

Any uglieness that might pop up here and there will be shamelessly derendered, too! Blacklist, blacklist everything! :ph34r:

That blacklist feature is so great for ugliness! xD

The increase in prims and the bigger land size is fantastic. I have 300 LI left to use, but the house need furniture. I plan to set in a large kitchen.

I made an alt premium and bought for group, land that's a bit over 2200 sqm. Strange to think, I shall not pay tier or rent for a whole year....

I am going to cry if the neighbors moves. Their privacy wall and trees is super. I only own the birch trees.

I think I must go over to your place and inspect some things to find the creators. Lovely stuff!

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.