What's the goal of Second Life?

RedQop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've downloaded Second Life because I've read on a psychoanalysis book that it was possible to partecipate to discussions in groups, etc.

I've downloaded it and started playing, but I can't get what's the goal of the ''game'' (it's not a game if I'm not wrong, is it?).

Can someone explain me what's the goal of the ''game''?

RedQop wrote:

I know that is not a game.

But my question is: what to do when I'm logged in?

What's the point of second life?

There is no point of Second Life , it's a platform to build in 3d, chat, meet, group, relations, sell, buy , trade... shop......everything you can think of in RL you can do in SL

it is what it says "" second" life

it is what you want it to be.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

RedQop wrote:

IWhat's the point of second life?

It's the same point as your first.

;-).

Makes me wonder how many of us have a conscious, well defined point for the first. Even something as broad as "Make the world better." 

I was raised to (among other things):

• Leave the world a better place than you found it.
  • Be grateful.
  • Have fun.

There's enough wiggle room between those admonitions to guarantee I'll never know if I'm doing it right. The point is what you make it.

;-).

RedQop wrote:

I've downloaded Second Life because I've read on a psychoanalysis book that it was possible to partecipate to discussions in groups, etc.

I've downloaded it and started playing, but I can't get what's the goal of the ''game'' (it's not a game if I'm not wrong, is it?).

Can someone explain me what's the goal of the ''game''?

The goal of the game is to score an own goal, dude/dudess. 

Like when you get the keys to your first condo, you choose what happens next, you choose your own goals.

Its a game if you want it to be. Its a job if you want it to be. Its just something to have as a hobby. Or if you want education, there's space for that too. (Some schools have closed off sims for education purposes. - but guess your psychoanalysis book might cover that aspect already.)

In world, grab a hold of that "search" option, enter "discussion group" or "book group" and see what comes up. Or what it is you wanna discuss in a group. You're sure to find something interesting for discussion. And some games within the game. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

RedQop wrote:

;-).

Makes me wonder how many of us have a conscious, well defined point for the first. Even something as broad as "Make the world better." 

/me scratches beard and thinks about if I have a conscious, well defined point for the frist. 

I think the only conscious thing I do is try and remember which days to put which recycling bins to the collection area. Does that count for make the world better?

Like in real life, individual goals will vary, Unlike real life, everyone has a goal. We can be sure they have a goal, because everyone in SL makes a decision to be here, everyone has to log onto their computer or other device. Life isn't like that, the Sun sets, and comes up the next day, and you find yourself in the world whether you want to be or not, whether you have any goal or not. Everyone who makes a decision to log on to SL does so for some reason, that reason defines their goal in SL.

Also in life, certain goals get imposed upon us, the goals of finding food when we are hungry, a bed when we are tired, a bathroom when we have to pee. These things don't exist in SL. This gives people the freedom to pursue other more pleasurable goals. And by pleasurable I don't mean just sex. people take pleasure in a variety of activities, from taking pictures, to holding conversations, to playing cards, ect. ect.

You can learn to build. There are numerous roleplay sims for anything you might want to do. Star Trek, Star Wars, Medieval, Game of Thrones, Western, 20's Berlin, Post apocalyptic, several different varieties of Gor, sim based on Anita Blake/Merry Gentry books. Just abount anything you could want.

eyeye Afterthought wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

RedQop wrote:

;-).

/me scratches beard and thinks about if I have a conscious, well defined point for the frist. 

I think the only conscious thing I do is try and remember which days to put which recycling bins to the collection area. Does that count for make the world better?

You're recycling, that's a start!

Some people might consider SL a game or simulation but it is neither.

It is its own thing a virtual world with unlimited possibilities of what you want to do, you can be a photographer, a designer, role play, play music for others, create items, etc etc etc.

Games have rules and end goals to complete in order to "win" or succeed, SL has neither.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.