Second Life Marketplace Review System is PATHETIC!!!!!

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

I'm not normally one to complain about features of Second Life, however, tonight, I have a MAJOR beef concerning the review system requirements of the Second Life Marketplace...

I bought several products for my aspiring farmer girl younger sister to use for her farm. The good news for her-She was able to use most of the products/Christmas gifts I bought for her. The bad (And I mean REALLY bad) news...I am unable to post reviews for ANY of the products I bought for her. The biggest kicker of them all-She's not able to post a review for said products either!! WTF!!?? Why is there such a big (And pathetic!!) flaw in the review system!? I wanted to provide some feedback to the creators of those products I bought for my sister. Yet neither she nor I can do so!! This is real serious bull**bleep** if you ask me. Anyway, this is just my opinion. Other people's opinions may (And probably WILL) differ from the opinions of me and my sister, who can't praise the quality of the gifts I got for her tonight. :matte-motes-angry:

• Like 1

Crazy, I rarely take the time to even consider leaving reviews (like never), simply because LL makes it so difficult to get back to where you need to go to write one when it's still fresh on your mind.  But, when you get something and go through the trouble of finding where to write your review, then can't... that really sucks.  I suggest you file a Jira.

...Dres

• Like 1

I dont know who controls the reviewing system but when you buy a gift for someone, you, as the purchaser, can review it but when you receive a gift from marketplace, (because you didnt buy it) you cant review it. 

Also a handy way to get back to review items (and there is no time limit that I have seen...even several yrs later) is to click on your name (next to Welcome, top of page) and then find column on left side under 'MY Account'...click on Order History, and there you find items you can review.

But yes I agree with you Dres.  A more convenient way would be for the sellers to include their notecard,  a url back to marketplace product.  This would help too, when trying DEMOs and you want to buy the full version. 

• Like 1

CheriColette wrote:

I dont know who controls the reviewing system but when you buy a gift for someone, you, as the purchaser, can review it but when you receive a gift from marketplace, (because you didnt buy it) you cant review it. 

I believe it should be the other way around... if you buy it for someone else, you're not the one actually using it.  Therefore, the person for whom you purchased it should be the one with the ability to write a review about it.

...Dres

• Like 1

I fail to see the problem with pulling up demos while searching for things... certainly there should be an option to include or exclude them from search.  But, if I'm shopping for something, I want that something to have a demo... I honestly don't care if I see the actual product first or the demo for it first.  In other words, seeing demos included in search doesn't actually bother me in the least... but, that may just be me.

...Dres

This is not new and has been reported multiple times in the correct format.

When it was found that the purchaser could leave a review, LL fixed this by preventing the purchaser from doing do:-

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-2660

However, they forgot that it is completely sensible to allow the person who is actually in the position to reivew the item to be able to do that and that one is "deferred" while they play with more interesting toys:-

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4420

Discussion about demos being irrelevant in search is not considered an issue.  Although LL is in the process of twiddling with search yet again, they are struggling to grasp the concept that returning irrelevant results when trying to address relevance is counterproductive.  Thus they have no present intention to deal with removing demos from the search results.

It's a bit like when trying to find a needle in a haystack, just moving the position of the needle nearer to the top.

Thread for discussion:-

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Marketplace-Beta-Search-New-Information/td-p/2981178

Hi there! Or should I say: Good evening!

First of all, what does FUBAR'd mean? Secondly, I would actually prefer if a product I am browsing to buy for has a demo for free (0 Linden cost) in case I wanna 'try before I buy'. Lots of products have demos, but unfortunately, not all of them do. Third of all, in regards to removing demos from the search results, why not have an option to remove 0-Linden cost items from the results or items which don't have a price tag? This would make searching or items just a little easier. I hope I didn't ruin anybody's holiday mood by ranting about SL Marketplace the way I did earlier...:mansurprised:

HenryCrawford wrote:

Hi there! Or should I say: Good evening!

First of all, what does FUBAR'd mean? Secondly, I would actually prefer if a product I am browsing to buy for has a demo for free (0 Linden cost) in case I wanna 'try before I buy'. Lots of products have demos, but unfortunately, not all of them do. Third of all, in regards to removing demos from the search results, why not have an option to remove 0-Linden cost items from the results or items which don't have a price tag? This would make searching or items just a little easier. I hope I didn't ruin anybody's holiday mood by ranting about SL Marketplace the way I did earlier...:mansurprised:

F----d Up Beyond All Repair

Removing (or selecting for) L$0 items is one of the things the current system can easily do: there's a 'filter by price' option below the category filter. Unfortunately, not all L$0 items are demos, and not all demos cost L$0. A demo tag, or alternatively a gift tag, would help show the difference.

If you read the many pages of the search beta thread, you'll see examples of how to properly get rid of demos which LL refuse to address.

They believe it's better to return all the straw in the haystack but allow you to adjust the location of where the needle might be.

Demos for all products isn't feasible. Not all items lend themselves to methods of demoware nor is any investment in time worth it.

• 1 year later...

That's ok. People still read old posts. We are not all the same SL age. Some have only just found out things they want to find out about. I do it all the time. In fact I wanted to know how to get notifications about reviews on my products and somehow came across this post :)  I still don't know if it is possible.

What the system should do is scan your inventory for a copy of the object - and if found, allow the posting a review.

That would allow anyone who owns an item to review it - which would make Marketplace much more useful for driving sales of good product and driving down bad product. Similar to how reviews on Amazon function (in terms of usefulness - not in terms of how they vet legit reviewers).

This would NOT let the original poster of this thread post a review - but I don't think they should be allowed to. However it would allow the person who got the gift to post a review, and that is a legitimate source for a review. It would also allow inworld buyers to post reviews.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

There's no need whatsoever to scan inventory to find the item, plus that wouldn't work if the recipient had deleted the item.

This is such a simple database task from day one, i'm somewhat amazed that this issue still exists.

The ONLY test that has to be performed is that the currently logged in MP user (the person who is about to leave the review), is the recipient of the item.  MP already has this recipient logged in the MP database.  Here's the best part, the SAME trivial database comparison is all that's needed to allow someone to self redeliver an item with copy permissions.

This really is database skills for beginners level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

The entirety of the marketplace in general is pathetic. Its design (including its review system) is so outdated its not even funny. Nothing on that site has changed since 2004.

But will they replicate the same fundamental error in Sansar, maintaining a distinction between web and in-world commerce? (I haven't checked and it's unlikely I'll ever own a single S$, but if I had any to wager, I know which way I'd bet. For all these years of Second Life, LL never even sketched out plans to unify web and in-world transactions.)

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

But will they replicate the same fundamental error in Sansar, maintaining a distinction between web and in-world commerce? (I haven't checked and it's unlikely I'll ever own a single S$, but if I had any to wager, I know which way I'd bet. For all these years of Second Life, LL never even sketched out plans to unify web and in-world transactions.)

That's assuming Project Stupid will have inworld transactions rather than just forcing all sales through the web-store so they can take their sales tax...

And assuming it stays open of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If I was an investor I would be so pissed, lol. I mean cmon, its 2017. Now I will give them credit, the sansar mp looks very nice and clean (thats probably about it though). We all know it will become a cesspool of useless crap like the sl marketplace. People be throwing up the same thing in 30 pages of different colors, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

That's assuming Project Stupid will have inworld transactions rather than just forcing all sales through the web-store so they can take their sales tax...

And assuming it stays open of course.

I guess that's right, they may never get 'round to implementing in-world transactions at all. Seems odd to me, but then I was born before all RL transactions were conducted through Amazon, so maybe I'm just an old fart, remembering shopping as a sometimes immersive social experience.

(I've made it pretty clear that personally I don't expect Sansar to be around for long, but that's not based on any evidence, merely the grim statistics of all new tech projects and particularly those associated with VR.)

• Like 1

Speaking of the "order history," it would be nice if you could perform a search within that field. Say for example, I made a purchase for a product a long time ago and wanted to find that transaction in my order history. LL says "nope," not happening ... In order to find that transaction, I'd have to be aware of the approximate date that I purchased said item or be damned to sifting through page after page of transactions within a given time period. While this isn't so much of an issue with very recent transactions, it can be problematic for older purchases.

I agree with you @Chrismaky. The MP needs an overhaul, including more filters so we can better sort through the clutter. Ultimately this would benefit LL because they profit from it, and for the consumer, it would allow us to better find items specific to our search. A lot of times I find google is a more effective search tool to find stuff on the MP. True story ...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.