The coming SL war

m4cm34t5cr4p5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's late 2017. Linden Lab has more or less abandoned SL in favour of the new Sansara, but residents still remain, determined to cling onto their inventories, land and inworld standing.

Meanwhile, a new breed of scripters manages to exploit the crumbling, outdated SL infrastructure to wreak havoc. Ban lines are scaled, vendors tampered with...griefing erupts on an unprecedented scale. LL, now busy with its new world, abandons all SL abuse report response and leaves the olde worlde residents to their fate.

With security breached, rival factions begin to jostle for power. Paramilitaries attack and invade land on a daily basis, causing mass disruption over the grid. Vigilante groups retreat and finally disband, as the pixellated violence spirals out of control. Public sandboxes are seized by criminal warlords and turned into caliphates of copybotting by their minions. Older residents similarly band together, forming makeshift patrol groups to defend their clubs, malls and homes to the death.

So - what will YOU do in the coming SL war??

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

It's late 2017. Linden Lab has more or less abandoned SL in favour of the new Sansara, but residents still remain, determined to cling onto their inventories, land and inworld standing.

Meanwhile, a new breed of scripters manages to exploit the crumbling, outdated SL infrastructure to wreak havoc. Ban lines are scaled, vendors tampered with...griefing erupts on an unprecedented scale. LL, now busy with its new world, abandons all SL abuse report response and leaves the olde worlde residents to their fate.

With security breached, rival factions begin to jostle for power. Paramilitaries attack and invade land on a daily basis, causing mass disruption over the grid. Vigilante groups retreat and finally disband, as the pixellated violence spirals out of control. Public sandboxes are seized by criminal warlords and turned into caliphates of copybotting by their minions. Older residents similarly band together, forming makeshift patrol groups to defend their clubs, malls and homes to the death.

What is Sansara?

Please share any and all mind altering substances with the group. For your scenario to happen the SL code itself would have to be made breachable, giving these "scripters" LL god powers in SL. Not going to happen.

Personally, I would wake up from your nightmare and spend the day popping between the two grids, creating and selling in both, then settle down with friends over a nice game of Card Against Humanity.

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

Now THATS the kind of chaos I want to be a part of!  I will, of course, be on the side of the old residents in one of makeshift patrol groups...  at least until my laptop overheats from graphic card attacks. I will go down fighting and blasting troublemakers from sandboxes until I get hit by a griefer weapon that blasts apart the pixels making up my avatar and dissipates them into the virtual winds of oblivion.  Sounds like a good way to go out to me.

I guess I better prepare by hoarding inventory in my SL cellar (virtual water and food, weapons and ammunition) and creating a stronghold with impenetrable defenses from which to launch my attacks.

*waits patiently anticipating the end times*

It would be amazing to see SL destroyed at the end - beyond just turning on gravity and letting everything fall.  Turn off the safe guards, turn off the AR function, set the residents loose in the biggest virtual war ever seen.  The only scripts running will kick people out permanently when they take a fatal hit.  The winner can dance atop the worlds last mountain top, blood running down their face, deformed beyond recognition, mesh body parts melting away.

it seems the basis of this apocalyptic scene is that when Sansar is complete, or whatever they are gonna call the new project at the end, Linden Lab is gonna focus more in promoting the new virtual world, to attract the media and specially creators, mesh artists and C++ coders, who with their practice and knowledge are going to do impresssive things since they don't need to learn something else, all the attention focused in the new product will diminish the attention in the old product, the people that don't want to move to the new product, because of familiarity, lack of computing power, nostalgia, loyalty, are gonna be exposed to the lack of resources, because many resources are gonna be shifted to the new product, and the griefers, who we have been having for a long time, are gonna use the lack of attention from Linden Lab to create havok, the old users who have something of value in Second Life are gonna find ways to defend themselves, like when they use RedZone, for every security measure, there is someone who figure out how to break it, and for every new attack, there is someone who figure out how to block it. this seems to be the basis of this scenario.

It occurred to me yesterday that if LL were to abandon existing SL users in the run-up to Sansar's launch, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot and killing the goose that laid the golden egg at the same time!  If Sansar is to be a virtual world like Second Life, but better, then who would be likely to become the early users?  Curoious SL residents, I would imagine.

And wouldn't serious griefers be more interested in the challenge of disrupting Sansar than in dropping hundreds of screaming cubes with pictures of Batman on from the sky in SL sandboxes?

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

Whee!  Lock and Load!   Can't wait for shoot-outs in the sandboxes!  

I'll be naked of course.  Because,... why not?!  ; )

When I need a "peace & quiet" break, will head out to my open-sim grid.

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

If SL becomes an abandoned backwater, what would be the point in griefing it? Griefers have already devolved into a few easily-bored script kiddies and a handful of geriatrics reminiscing about the old days. And public sandboxes are already caliphates of copybotting and have been so for years.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

There is no one who I'd rather Lock and Load with than Celestiall.  I'll be naked too... because... yeah.

...Dres

Dresden wrote:

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

m4cm34t5cr4p5 wrote:

There is no one who I'd rather Lock and Load with than Celestiall.  I'll be naked too... because... yeah.

...Dres

Now that sounds like the makings of a fun sandwich!

I'll be on the front lines providing succor, drink, nourishment and hot showers to all.  All sides are safe in my establishment and anyone who dares break my 'Safe' place will find themselves strung up by their attachments - guaranteed! 

Eat, drink, be merry and shower for tomorrow you may be orbited to oblivion (or the next grid, whichever is farther away).

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Whoa!....your risque ' I can get away with it 'cos I is gay, and not a 'orrible Gor master' profile pic is back.:matte-motes-grin:   That 'PC' version was jus' awfuls, so ...welcomes back he he.

What are you going on about?  My profile pic has been exactly the same for quite a while now... in fact, I'm probably very overdue for a new one.  Although part of me wonders what exactly you believe my sexual orientation has allowed me to "get away with," the rest of me just doesn't care what you believe.

...Dres *most definitely doesn't want to know why you're, all of a sudden, so concerned about people being or not being into Gor*

Dresden wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Whoa!....your risque ' I can get away with it 'cos I is gay, and not a 'orrible Gor master' profile pic is back.:matte-motes-grin:   That 'PC' version was jus' awfuls, so ...welcomes back he he.

What are you going on about?  My profile pic has been exactly the same for quite a while now... in fact, I'm probably very overdue for a new one.  Although part of me wonders what exactly you believe my sexual orientation has allowed me to "get away with," the rest of me just doesn't care what you believe.

...Dres *most definitely doesn't want to know why you're, all of a sudden, so concerned about people being or not being into Gor*

Maybe Hoshi wants a date with you but is too shy to ask.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Maybe he confused you with 'that other dude'.  You know the one.

That's what I was thinking.  Hahaha.  

---------------

As for Dresden, he's welcome to lock and load on my team anytime.  ; )

--------------

Hmm, this thread makes me think we need to have an inworld battle party.   A shoot 'em up.   Turn off "restrict pushing" and maybe even turn on, "Allow damage". 

"The End Times" party and shoot-out.  : )

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I though Mr. Meat Scraps was just throwing out a fun topic...

agree

is a apocalypse scenario. So quite fun to imagine

if it do happen then I will do same as I did in the beginning times when lots of things that OP imagines for the end times happen also in the beginning times

i will armor up

has been ages since I had to wear armor to go shopping. And accompany by two automated robot guards that deal instant death to anyone what takes a shot at me while I am trying on shoes

(:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.