Ask the CEO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Garrett Latzo wrote:

Hello again,

Do these even get answered ? I also wanted to know if there may be an application process to propose ideas ?

Danke,

Garrett Latzo

The last replies by Linden Lab or Ebbe were in mid-July (3 months ago). It seems they've lost interest in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Garrett Latzo wrote:

Hello again,

Do these even get answered ? I also wanted to know if there may be an application process to propose ideas ?

Danke,

Garrett Latzo

The last replies by Linden Lab or Ebbe were in mid-July (3 months ago). It seems they've lost interest in this forum in particular and this version of Second Life in general.

FIFY!

***Yes, that SirLeighB

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading somewhere about how users will still have to pay monthly in order to own and customize their own sim (only less that what was required in SL) so heres my question. (More of a suggestion but still a question)

Why not make a software program separate from (but still connected to) Project Sansar that gives users a personal virtual sandbox of their own? Allowing them the freedom to build whatever they want, and invite friends and other users to visit. And instead of a monthly payment, the users would have to pay in order to expand the size of their sandbox. And pay to transfer other user created content into the sandbox. About 10% more if they don't already have it, and 10% of the original price if they do already have it. And heck, why not have an offline mode where users can still enjoy it without needing a wifi connection? (Will probably require user to download the sandbox world beforehand)

I'm asking this because I don't know if this feature is going to be included in Project Sansar, or if it'll be added later after launch, or if not at all. So will something like what I described above be available in Project Sansar? Is it something you never considered until now? Or am I just hoping for something that might never happen?

Why not provide facilities for free?

Why not promise all sorts of things and not deliver them?

Why not refuse to provide any sort of credible timeline?

Why not alienate your customer base by not permitting migration?

***Call me if you can't work out the answers to these questions yourself; I will provide the same response as LL - nothing.

"Why not alienate your customer base by not permitting migration?"

You can use the same name and the same Linden Dollars from SecondLife in Sansar.

It is pretty impossible technical and by law to use the same assets in Sansar.

Also why do you want most of Secondlife in Sansar  ? sculpts, prims, old sounds many things are so outdated or bad that is the 3rd reason to not think about converting it.

Richardus Raymaker wrote:

You can use the same name and the same Linden Dollars from SecondLife in Sansar.

You reckon? I don't. How are they going to accomplish the validation? Look at the disastrous abortive attempt to validate ages. It's gonna be a Thieves' Charter. I bet someone is at this moment coding a scam to pick up all the unused Linden Dollars in abandoned accounts, and someone else is working on blackware to intercept SLV1 to SLV2 communication.

Richardus Raymaker wrote:

It is pretty impossible technical and by law to use the same assets in Sansar.

I have heard some nonsense talked about SL V2 but this takes the biscuit. Are you perhaps employed by LL in their so-called "Global Communications" department? That might also explain your inability to construct a grammatically coherent sentence.

***Call me . . . no, don't!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ebbe,

Allot of people i talk to in sl about Project Sansar always tell me this:

''I dont want to loose my Inventory!''

Some even tell me that if the inventory will not go to the new world (when supposedly sl will stop and Sansar will go on only) that they will feel robbed of their spended money on items some even go as far as telling me

that they will start a lawsuite over it.

So what is your responce to those people?

Thankyou Ebbe

Sue Windstorm wrote:

Hi Ebbe,

Some even tell me that if the inventory will not go to the new world (when supposedly sl will stop and Sansar will go on only) that they will feel robbed of their spended money on items some even go as far as telling me

Thankyou Ebbe

Inventory will not be able to port between Sansar and SL. End of story there. Sansar is different from SL. How different we don't know yet. You will be able to keep your name, $L balance and friends list.

Personally, I will not be leaving SL. From what i have seen of HIgh FIdelity, which is what Sansar would look like, it isn't for me.

People saying they will feel as if they were robbed are foolish. Were they robbed when they paid for a rental movie? Or went to Disneyland? Or an amusement park? All of these are entertainment that you pay for, just like SL.

Sue Windstorm wrote:

Hi Ebbe,

Thankyou Ebbe

Please inform your friends that, should they consult a lawyer about suing LL, that lawyer would take one look at the ToS to which they agreed and laugh them right out of the office.

...Dres

Sue Windstorm wrote:

Hi Ebbe,

Thankyou Ebbe

http://www.lindenlab.com/tos

1.2 The Service exists only as long as and in the form that we may provide the Service, and all aspects of the Service, including your User Content, are subject to change or elimination.

Linden Lab has the right to change, limit access to, and/or eliminate any aspect(s), feature(s) or functionality of the Service (including your User Content) as it sees fit at any time without notice, and Linden Lab makes no commitment, express or implied, to maintain or continue, or to permit open access to, any aspect of the Service. You acknowledge that your use of the Service is subject to this risk and that you knowingly assume it and make your decisions to participate in the Service, contribute Content and spend your money accordingly.

We get this from LL:

"If we had one message to share with Second Life users about this new project at this point, it would be: don't panic, get excited! Again, Second Life isn't going away, nor are we ceasing our work to improve it."

and we get this from LL:

"Linden Lab makes no commitment, express or implied, to maintain or continue, or to permit open access to, any aspect of the Service."

See.... they say they're going to maintain Second Life and they say they aren't committed to maintain Second Life.  Don't worry, it's not going away.  Remember it  could all go away without notice. It's all very two faced.

Thank you Ebbe for implying that Second Life will continue while you tell us you are not implying it will continue.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

See.... they say they're going to maintain Second Life and they say they aren't committed to maintain Second Life.  Don't worry, it's not going away.  Remember it  could all go away without notice. It's all very two faced.

It's easy to explain, they have no plans to close or scale down Second Life but they won't promise anything.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote (quoting the TOS):

"Linden Lab makes no commitment, express or implied, to maintain or continue, or to permit open access to, any aspect of the Service."

Nothing new there, that sentence has been in the TOS for as long as I can remember and it actually sums up the entire TOS quite well: Linden Lab does not under any circumstances take any responsibility for anything.

So in the end what matters is how much you trust them.

ChinRey wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

It's easy to explain, they have no plans to close or scale down Second Life but they won't promise anything.

You think there are no plans to close or scale down Second Life?   When the Teen Grid went away - that was a scale down.  There are other examples but that's really another  topic.

My point is that the LL implies a commitment to continue operating Second Life and at the same times requires you to acknowledge that they are not implying a commitment to continue operating Second Life.  You might think it's a trust issue.  I think the LL is trying to have it both ways.  There is a conflict between insisting you are not implying something while at the same time you are implying it.  If you're fine with it then fine.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

If you're fine with it then fine.

I'm certainly not fine with it but it's way out of our hands.

I think the only real answer is enjoy Second Life while you can but do not under any circumstance let anything that really matters to you depend on it unless it can't possibly be avoided.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

LOL, okay then.  I'll agree that we all agree if you'll acknowledge that there is no agreement.

At least there is no meaningful agreement.

For a while now Linden Lab has clearly worked hard to fix and learn from past mistakes. But it's been a slow progress and recent incidents seem to indicate that the lessons still haven't sunk in properly. And time is running out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.