The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

It's the only part of me that is ;) But yeah, look to see if they have an Omega version of the body skin. Most stores have an option for that. You obviously got the Slink version first but I know you later became unhappy with Slink's hands, and thus switched to Vista. But an Omega skin should sort out the matching problem on the hands.

A ministering angel thou!

Fixing this problem would save a lot of time and effort. If it works, I'll name my first mesh baby after you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If it works, I'll name my first mesh baby after you.

... ... And suddenly, I realize the similarity of your names. Skell - Scylla.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... ... And suddenly, I realize the similarity of your names. Skell - Scylla.

Right. Drat, exposed!

I'm actually Skell's much-less-competent female alt.

ETA: Although I've had many friends who have pronounced my name "Sky-La," I've always myself treated the "c" as soft.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Okay, so, I just actually found a product in-world that's advertised as: 'BakesOnMesh system layers included!'

Do we have a release date on that feature?

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Okay, so, I just actually found a product in-world that's advertised as: 'BakesOnMesh system layers included!'

Do we have a release date on that feature?

There is an experimental viewer available, I think?

Possibly this product is jumping the gun, but it's also possible that enough of the specifications for BoM are now available that creators can begin preparing for it?

It might actually be nice to have products and viewer updates in place before the new tech is introduced: the introduction of EEP has been kinda borked, to my mind, in that it doesn't seem to be very well supported yet, with the result that a lot of Firestorm-using friends have been wandering around aghast at what's happened to the night sky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's a beautiful shot, Elora (neck seam notwithstanding), and a lovely avatar. I'm assuming, from the rather shiny eyes, that it's a Genus head? What brand of skin is it?

I have been half-seriously considering putting together a list of things to check for before clicking "save" on the snapshot tool, because there are so many teeny little hard-to-see problems that show up after you've saved the shots, left your pose, put away the lights, etc. . . . neck seams and (in my case) hand seams being one of the more common ones. Also, applier clothing inadvertently left showing, clothes and hair clipping inappropriately, projector left visible in the background, alpha cuts needing adjusting, and (once, just recently!) someone wandering into the background of the pic without my noticing until almost too late.

They don't pay me enough. (They don't pay me at all.)

Thanks Scylla.

The neck seam is my nemesis. If there is going to be one thing I miss consistently it's that. It could be because I do tend to use SL later in the day, after work when I'm kind of tired combined with using the laptop monitor which is obviously smaller than a PC and not using it with a mouse. Ghosty can't even believe I'm able to manuever around without one on it lol. I'm sure if I went upstairs and logged on with my PC I'd have better control, and with the (much) larger monitor would catch such flaws quicker. 

The head is the Genus Strong Face. I LOVE this head. It's very versatile. I used to be a Lelutka person but this head is now my #1, even with the HUD glitches - it still has kinks they are working out but I'm patient. The nose on it is extremely different from any other head out there, much more natural looking and a bit unusual. I've used it for many different looks now and it works beautifully for all of them. 

The skin is one that Genus sells so it's a house brand, called Azalea which was available at Skin Fair but is now in the main store. I bought in in several tones because I like it so much. It's the same one I used for the photo I posted here and on my Flickr titled "Basic", also on Strong Face. It's one that can stand on it's own, no other makeup needed. I keep meaning to test it on the other 2 Genus heads to see the difference. 

I hear you about all the other photo mistakes. I make them too. The hair clipping one drives me batty but usually I can manage to fix it post processing. If I'm taking pix in a sim I'm constantly derendering people around me, even objects that get in the way of my framing/composition. There are times I have shot something and I'm like "BLAH" but I don't chuck it away, I sit on it for a day or so or more and then look at it again and I'm like "ok, maybe I can salvage it somehow" because there's an element of it I do like. Crop out the bad stuff etc, maybe tilt the photo in a strange way to shift the image, play with it. I have one right now that I decided I wasn't happy with but...I loved how portions of the face look so I'm working just on that one small part.

Can you tell I spend a ridiculous amount of money here? I really should be blogging but I don't give enough f--ks to do so. Once I'm obligated to do something it takes the fun out of it :P

Edited by Elora Lunasea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

My main concern at the moment is that, as far as I can see, there's only one layer for each section of the head? I use a lot of layering on my Catwa head to get stuff looking nice, like, eyeshadow beneath the eyebrows layer, a solid black lipstick beneath my semi-transparent red lipstick, an eyeliner on top of the eyeshadow as most eyeshadows don't have that dark 'frame' outline that I like on Neph. Not sure if I'm missing anything though, two layers feels pretty standard (then again, I've always used Catwa - aaand a GA.EG head that I've never actually used).

After seeing KaiaWang's picture the other day and then Elora's up above, I started considering a mesh head a bit more seriously.  And then you have to go and make this post about layers and such, which truthfully all sounds confusing as hell, and I'm right back to thinking my system head isn't so bad after all.  B|

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

I just actually found a product in-world that's advertised as: 'BakesOnMesh system layers included!'

Some creators have always continued to include the System Layers, though are now rebranding them as BoM layers.  Other creators that either never included them before or did include them but stopped are now adding the system layers and specifically referencing BoM.  Thus I'm guessing that something must be indicating that the BoM project is getting closer to deployment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

using the laptop monitor which is obviously smaller than a PC and not using it with a mouse. Ghosty can't even believe I'm able to manuever around without one on it lol

I'm with Ghosty. I can barely do anything in SL without a mouse, yet alone something requiring as much precision as taking a pic!

The head is the Genus Strong Face. I LOVE this head. It's very versatile. I used to be a Lelutka person but this head is now my #1, even with the HUD glitches - it still has kinks they are working out but I'm patient. The nose on it is extremely different from any other head out there, much more natural looking and a bit unusual. I've used it for many different looks now and it works beautifully for all of them. 

The skin is one that Genus sells so it's a house brand, called Azalea which was available at Skin Fair but is now in the main store. I bought in in several tones because I like it so much. It's the same one I used for the photo I posted here and on my Flickr titled "Basic", also on Strong Face. It's one that can stand on it's own, no other makeup needed. I keep meaning to test it on the other 2 Genus heads to see the difference.

I need to demo the Strong Face. I played around, for quite some time, with the Baby Face before deciding that it really wasn't for me. At this point, I'm pretty settled into the Classic, but there are certainly a few things I'm not entirely happy with (I generally don't like the profile as much as I do the front view), so it's worth a shot.

After playing around for a bit with one of the skin samples Genus provided with the beta release of the head -- the Nataly? -- and a few others, I ended up going with The Skinnery, but I'm open to other possibilities. It's been awhile since I was at the Genus main store: maybe it's time for a visit.

There are times I have shot something and I'm like "BLAH" but I don't chuck it away, I sit on it for a day or so or more and then look at it again and I'm like "ok, maybe I can salvage it somehow" because there's an element of it I do like.

I have a fair number of shots that have been sitting in folders for . . . well, weeks, if not months, waiting for me to reclaim them with some serious editing work. I can never be bothered. I wish I had the patience to sit on the pics that I think are good for a few days at least before posting them, because one of the most common things for me it so post something at night, and look at it the next morning, and find something is either stupidly wrong, or that I just plain hate it. There are probably 20 pics on my Flickr page that I feel that way about. Ugh.

I really should be blogging but I don't give enough f--ks to do so. Once I'm obligated to do something it takes the fun out of it 

YES. This.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

After seeing KaiaWang's picture the other day and then Elora's up above, I started considering a mesh head a bit more seriously.  And then you have to go and make this post about layers and such, which truthfully all sounds confusing as hell, and I'm right back to thinking my system head isn't so bad after all.  B|

Its really not as complicated as it sounds :)

And to be honest, if you find a head you like, you can do without any layering at all. Myself I hardly ever use any make ups, and with recent hairs you do not need hair bases that often anymore either. Even with system avie you had make up and hair base appliers if I remember well, just did not name them layers, but is it about as difficult as that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Lil, for goodness sake, if even I can manage it without tripping over my own HUD, you certainly can.

I actually like your look with your system head. But, hey, give it a shot and see if you like the look!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lil, for goodness sake, if even I can manage it without tripping over my own HUD, you certainly can.

I actually like your look with your system head. But, hey, give it a shot and see if you like the look!

Well how can you not love the Genus heads......any of 'em......

I keep mine as simple as possible.  Nothing fancy. Just what I can manage with limited knowledge. Maybe I'll 'get' BOM eventually, but I'm in no rush.

:)

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, BelindaN said:

Well how can you not love the Genus heads......any of 'em......

I keep mine as simple as possible.  Nothing fancy. Just what I can manage with limited knowledge. Maybe I'll 'get' BOM eventually, but I'm in no rush.

:)

I struggled with mine early on, trying to get the look I wanted -- and at one point not all that long ago, nearly abandoned it. There are still things I don't like about it -- the ears, and the rather angular profile, for instance. (Thank god they finally fixed the eyes.) But on the whole, I'm pretty happy with it now; and it certainly can give a really realistic-looking face. I think you've done amazing things with yours, and it was the amazing look Alyona managed early on convinced me to try it.

I don't think, though, that it's the most "user-friendly" head on the market. And if I ever decide to upgrade Laskya from her current Altamura head, I don't think I'll go for Genus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indigo

Head: Genus, Strong Face
Body: Maitreya, Lara
Applier: L'Etre, Indigo, Buttermilk
Applier: L'Etre, Face Glitter (Gift)
Applier: Izzie's Wet Body
Hair: Doux, BYOB
Eyes: Euphoric, Becky (Powder Pack)
Bikini: Empire, Summer Feels, Bikini 2, Blue
Belly Ring: PKC, Foxy Belly button Piercing
Earrings: Earthstones, Solitaire Stud Earrings, Diamond
Lighting; LumiPro

• Like 12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.