The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, dokitten said:

I might have a silly question, but i hope you''l forgive it of me since i'm stil tad noob around the forum *blushes and hides under her desk*

Which is the diffrence between this thread and the https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today thread ?

This thread is the older of the two and was more formal. People generally listed what they wore in the pictures. The other thread was for informal pictures ... what you happened to be wearing that day. That one has morphed into the thread for the fancy stuff, leaving this one to fade away slowly.

Both are too fancy for me, though I'll post twisted pictures at times. I stick to

for my more photogenic alt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dokitten said:

I might have a silly question, but i hope you''l forgive it of me since i'm stil tad noob around the forum *blushes and hides under her desk*

Which is the diffrence between this thread and the https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today thread ?

As Par says. And in fact, this thread is in some ways even older than it looks, because it was a conscious re-invention of an even older thread by the same name that was on the previous (pre-2011) incarnation of these forums.

I'm not sure why this one has slowly dwindled? It has more "history," for whatever that's worth, but the other certainly has a more active and engaged community now.

Looking at some of the prominent forumites who posted early on in this one, and are no longer here, makes me a bit sad, actually . . .

• Thanks 1

In the General Discussion  Forum there is a thread called "What are you doing today?"

It has slid down to page 2 because of all the new topics around the pricing changes but that one is also considered one of the vanity threads.  It is more focused on activities and places but still another thread to show off your photos.

6 hours ago, dokitten said:

Way back in the old forums, there was the Vanity thread.  People typically posted well composed pictures, some with post-processing and some without, and they often gave the credits of everything they were wearing - much like what you see on blogs.   When this forum software started up, someone created a version of the Vanity thread, and for the most part it still mostly contained the same types of pictures with credits.

Then someone decided that we needed something more casual - more like candid selfies or quick Look Of The Day shots - and the "How does your avatar look today' thread was born.  Typically, the pictures were pretty casual, not looking quite so professionally set up and not with as much post-processing.

Soon after, someone created a slight off-shoot of that topic called "What are you doing Today", which still showed how you looked, but supposedly focused more on what you were doing rather than just what you were wearing.  

For the most part, the distinction between the content of the different threads was really pretty minor.  Mostly, I think the different threads were created just to give us more places to post pictures of ourselves showing off.  Therefore, over a bit of time the threads began to blur a bit as to what types of photos were in which threads. 

Over the past year or so, the 'How does your avatar look today' thread has become the most active one, with the other two still getting pictures, but not as frequently.  That one has also, IMO, started concentrating a lot more on picture quality, picture composition, photography options and the post-processing methods.  You'll find credits given in this thread and that one, but seldom in the 'What are you doing today' thread.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That one has also, IMO, started concentrating a lot more on picture quality, picture composition, photography options and the post-processing methods

When did that begin? 

When I started posting there, rather than here, it was largely because it had a more active community.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When did that begin? 

When I started posting there, rather than here, it was largely because it had a more active community.

That one has had a more active community since it started, I think because it was so much more casual than this one was perceived to be.

The trend of it seeming to focus a lot more on the composition and quality of a picture is likely just a natural progression due to the interests of the primary posters.  In many ways, it is the new Vanity thread.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That one has had a more active community since it started, I think because it was so much more casual than this one was perceived to be.

The trend of it seeming to focus a lot more on the composition and quality of a picture is likely just a natural progression due to the interests of the primary posters.  In many ways, it is the new Vanity thread.

I suppose a more logical arrangement would have three different threads, for three different target audiences: a "fashion" thread, with a consistent use of credits, a "photography" thread (which, I guess, should probably really be in the Art, Music, and Photography subforum), and a much more casual "look at my pretty avatar" thread for people who just wanted a place to post snapshots.

The problem with that kind of division, as indeed with almost any form of segregation, is that it makes cross-pollination of ideas and approaches more difficult. When I first posted in the "What does your avatar look like" thread, I had no conception that I'd end up getting interested in the more technical aspects of photography. Were there not people there who were, it's not something I'd have discovered.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waking up

And to add to the discussion: Yep those pics are from my blog, without the teaser texts but if you click them  (or until a few posts ago I added a link to the post) you get to the post with credits and all the fancy stuffs , the How does your avatar look today for me is just a collection of pics, not as fancy (though at times I´ll just put other pics from my blog (I rarely ever do only one pic^^))... Also if I post there and do like several posts or outfit changes a day and have pics of each I´ll put them all in the post to show the switching

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Parhelion Palou. @Rhonda Huntress, @Scylla Rhiadra , @Akasha Sternberg and @LittleMe Jewell for your insights, makes more sense now a wee bit, time has a way of molding stuff to everyones needs... well more or less... Im not a very super active photographer, but i get it as this: post here mostly stuff wel composed with credits if possible, post there the daily wear the eazy way ( snap and post ) - and to me it does seems logic why that one got more active, since for that approach is takes less time to post and cuz, lets face it, many of us are lazy about post processing *giggles*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dokitten said:

Thank you @Parhelion Palou. @Rhonda Huntress, @Scylla Rhiadra , @Akasha Sternberg and @LittleMe Jewell for your insights, makes more sense now a wee bit, time has a way of molding stuff to everyones needs... well more or less... Im not a very super active photographer, but i get it as this: post here mostly stuff wel composed with credits if possible, post there the daily wear the eazy way ( snap and post ) - and to me it does seems logic why that one got more active, since for that approach is takes less time to post and cuz, lets face it, many of us are lazy about post processing *giggles*

I'm glad to hear that this has all been helpful and informative -- but honestly, you can post what you like in any of these threads. All of them are very open and welcoming, with really supportive communities, and no one insists upon photographic expertise or lots of detail about what you're wearing.

We just want to see your pics, however you choose to take or post them!

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm going to wear one outfit and cross post it in all 3 threads.  Because why not?

2019-06-04_009a.thumb.jpg.be20102986975c886d0d54649bb36219.jpg

At least when you cross-posted the pictures of the same outfit, each thread got a different picture.  I hate it when the exact same picture goes into multiple threads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.