Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is what happens when you send me shopping for hair of the dog that bit you...

Well, I sent my pretty baby to the neighborhood store
My head was vibrating from the night before
I said: "You'd better hurry", as she went out the gate
My system needs a helper and I don't mean a steak
She had a cold six pack when she got back,
but it was... Ahhohhh... hic-up... Root Beer

Well, now you can just imagine I was shocked to death
For nearly twenty minutes, couldn't get my breath
My mind began to wonder; Would I ever get well?
If I leave it to my baby, well, you can't never tell
'cause everything went numb when I saw what
she'd brung it was... Ahhohhh... hic-up... Root Beer

Home Brew, Lightning, Bay alcohol, even good ol' Mountain Dew
Moonshine, Grapevine, any ol' kind would do

Well, now you could be my doctor, or my little nurse,
but get me something quick before I die, or get worse
I only need a toddy; just a little drink
Yeah, that should be enough to put me back in the pink,
but everything went black when I looked in
the sack, it was... Ahhohhh... hic-up... Root Beer

Well, I began to thinking: "I'd be better off dead",
but then I just remembered 'bout my ol' Uncle Ned
He's got a little business squeezing juice out of corn
and I began to praise the day my Uncle was born
'cause you can't get any kicks when you're in
this fix; out of... Ahhohhh... hic-up... Root Beer

Home Brew, Lightning, Bay alcohol, even good ol' Mountain Dew
Moonshine, Grapevine, any ol' kind would do

Well, now you could be my doctor, or my little nurse,
but get me something quick before I die, or get worse
I only need a toddy; just a little drink
Yeah, that should be enough to put me back in the pink,
but everything went black when I looked in
the sack, it was... Ahhohhh... hic-up... Root Beer

Happy Peak of the Week, Kids!!!

I turned off dark mode just to read that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaytie Aie said:

Can anyone here tell me why short pants are called "shorts" but long shorts aren't called "longs"?

Kaytie good question, one of the great mystery's of the origin of the English language  I'd say.    If I am not mistaken some people still do call pants "longs."   Have a wonderful Wednesday in your shorts (or longs) as the weather permits😁 

image.png.39d31c80e53de6c3ed59e207241c6528.png  Zubaz are really good "longs"

image.png.ba6da6b7516b2369054f3da3a97b6f4a.png  Classic pleated long "shorts" never go out of style, especially with dark socks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's for the same reason that the opposite of a "short" circuit is not a "long" circuit, but an "open" circuit.

So then why do the phrases “I'm up to do that.” and “I'm down to do that.” mean the same thing?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kaytie Aie said:

So then why do the phrases “I'm up to do that.” and “I'm down to do that.” mean the same thing?

What about "slim chance" and "fat chance"?

How can something be "one of the only"? On the radio today I heard someone say "There are only two explanations for this, one of the first is..."

Why do New Yorkers eat at "Benihana's of Tokyo" while Tokyoites eat at "Benihana's of New York". Why do patrons of both think the food is foreign?

If it's "tourist season", why can't we shoot them?

So many questions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

What about "slim chance" and "fat chance"?

How can something be "one of the only"? On the radio today I heard someone say "There are only two explanations for this, one of the first is..."

Why do New Yorkers eat at "Benihana's of Tokyo" while Tokyoites eat at "Benihana's of New York". Why do patrons of both think the food is foreign?

If it's "tourist season", why can't we shoot them?

So many questions.

I'm saving all of this.

• Like 2

Or........why do we call it a pair of pants? One pant with two legs? We call two socks a pair of socks.  Two gloves a pair of gloves.   So many questions! Well anyway! TGITDBF! (Thank goodness it's Thursday, day before Friday)

Peace!

Learn-something-new.gif

liam_0.jpg

e791d57d84aca1947f10a0cb603ec476.jpg

165625.jpg

• Like 4

image.png.ad7120ca72a0ddb68209002075fc39e6.png  Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Moose wish you all a happy Thursday!

Here are some other characters from the longest running children's show in television history 6,090 episodes from 1955-1984!

image.png.10794a8ac2f4cd00fe78e76a99bbbd16.png  Who could forget Mr. Green Jeans

image.png.cc7a0cb4056896eed678e17da54e8492.png  I actually forgot this character it was called "bunny rabbit"  (seems appropriate)

image.png.ac8c7bef6c6b14599a6583d66e63918b.png  Aunt Maude (I think she was a guy)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

Who could forget Mr. Green Jeans

And before it comes up ...

One of the sillier rumors to make the rounds, this legend most likely came about because of Zappa’s inclusion of a track entitled “Son of Mr. Green Genes” on his 1969 Hot Rats album. (The song itself was so named because it was a variation on the earlier “Mr. Green Genes,” a track from Zappa’s 1968 Uncle Meat album.) Someone either made a joke about the song title (or took it literally, despite the misspelling), and a legend was born. Frank Zappa himself reported:

Because I recorded a song called “Son of Mr. Green Genes” on the Hot Rats album in 1969, people have believed for years that the character with that name on the Captain Kangaroo TV show (played by Lumpy Brannum) was my “real” Dad. No, he was not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, Jameson2001 said:

image.png.ad7120ca72a0ddb68209002075fc39e6.png  Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Moose wish you all a happy Thursday!

Here are some other characters from the longest running children's show in television history 6,090 episodes from 1955-1984!

image.png.10794a8ac2f4cd00fe78e76a99bbbd16.png  Who could forget Mr. Green Jeans

image.png.cc7a0cb4056896eed678e17da54e8492.png  I actually forgot this character it was called "bunny rabbit"  (seems appropriate)

image.png.ac8c7bef6c6b14599a6583d66e63918b.png  Aunt Maude (I think she was a guy)

That show was a TRIP!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It took until today - but I was tagged in the middle of my back, at high speed, in the house. Ouch!

It's not supposed to hurt. Not supposed to be at high speed either. It will mellow out over the next few months, if it continues. If it doesn't continue, then you'll just have Ricky Road Racer to contend with. Make sure those knickknacks aren't close to the edge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That show was a TRIP!

Way back in the summer of 1998, I saw Pixar's "Tin Toy" at a computer graphics conference in Atlanta while on family vacation (yes, we're nerdy). We were completely enchanted by the short, including the opening theme, which my parents thought sounded familiar. Tin Toy earned a standing ovation from an auditorium full of computer scientists, and my family. The credits list the theme as from "The Price is Right" from that year, but it sounded too old for that.

Years passed. I forgot about the tune. Then, while listening to BBC Radio on my local public radio station late at night, there it was. "Puffin' Billy" by Edward White. It had been the theme music for BBC's "Children's Favourites" radio program in the 1950s. I hunted the song down on the internet (pre YouTube, I think) and discovered it had also been the theme tune for Captain Kangaroo. My parents were never able to determine where they'd heard it, but for me it'll always be the "Theme from Tin Toy".

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's not supposed to hurt. Not supposed to be at high speed either. It will mellow out over the next few months, if it continues. If it doesn't continue, then you'll just have Ricky Road Racer to contend with. Make sure those knickknacks aren't close to the edge!

They were doing zoomies, and I was in the way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a bicycle shop in town that has a border collie greeter. They've cleared a path around the periphery of the store's interior for her to zoom, and good grief does she zoom. Herders gonna herd and she's not letting a single bike escape. It's hilarious when they have a sidewalk sale. One hundred feet of bicycles to see and everybody is huddled near the door.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's a bicycle shop in town that has a border collie greeter. They've cleared a path around the periphery of the store's interior for her to zoom, and good grief does she zoom. Herders gonna herd and she's not letting a single bike escape. It's hilarious when they have a sidewalk sale. One hundred feet of bicycles to see and everybody is huddled near the door.

No escapes today. Yay!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A few of our huskies used to do the zoomies lots.  The other one was fairly old when we got him - he may have outgrown it or he may have been in a situation earlier in life where it was trained/conditioned out of him.  The dog that was a border collie / great pyrenees mix never ever showed any signs of zoomie activity.  Even though a pyrenees is a great herder, it could be that their mellow attitude dominates any zoomie instinct.

One of our current cats (the orange tabby) does the zoomies every morning and evening - quite comical to watch.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3