Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy Tuesday Everyone!  

This day in history remembrance of the first atomic bomb being dropped on Hiroshima which helped end World War II

image.png.f316a1896328f20df4b0624a58fc55db.pngimage.png.21d97d4670642669f48ad36ad79e517a.png

Also on this date in history in 1926 Olympic Athlete Gertrude Ederle swims the English Channel in 14 hours.  Two hours faster than any man had previously swam the Channel!

image.png.1c9170817337460049ab24dbb32ecfd9.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

This day in history remembrance of the first atomic bomb being dropped on Hiroshima which helped end World War II

One of the Japan A-bombs was dropped on Dad's 25th birthday and I was born on the 25th anniversary of the other.

My li'l cardinal friends were gone Saturday when I checked on 'em. Here they are last Thursday...
Peeps.thumb.jpg.dc1cb200135e37769fd2185b1d7f28b2.jpg

Hatch to fledge = 9 days.

Kids. They grow up so fast!

Happy Tuesday...   Kids!!!

• Like 5

On 8/6/2019 at 6:39 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

My li'l cardinal friends were gone Saturday when I checked on 'em. Here they are last Thursday...

Happy Hump Day!  Love your cardinal pics Maddy.... it's Robins in my backyard

image.png.42260d7787adaee646a40e5e57efcedb.pngimage.png.150a5a9db57c7c2503e28ca74b50a234.png

They typically jump out of the nest in two weeks and then learn how to fly (fledge) in a week to 10 days.  I have more than once caught them on the deck railing practicing their flying with the Mom on the ground below rewarding them with a bug or worm when they land!  Then in early August all of our Robins disappear until we see them again in the first week of April, gotta love mother nature😀

• Like 4

I wish we had birds. Someone keeps burying baby rabbits for safekeeping in our yard instead.  They go along their merry way in good time but it makes it difficult to actively garden when I see the mounds of fresh-pulled grasses hither and yon in all the places I had intended to clean out 🙃

• Like 4

On 8/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, Jameson2001 said:

Not sure the remembrance of destroying 200.000 civilian lives are quite fitting in a "Happy Tuesday" kinda way. Especially in an international community including the country that was on the receiving end of these bombs...

Nonetheless, happy Friday! :)

friday.PNG

• Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, Zeta Vandyke said:

Not sure the remembrance of destroying 200.000 civilian lives are quite fitting in a "Happy Tuesday" kinda way. Especially in an international community including the country that was on the receiving end of these bombs...

Neither Jameson nor I intended to suggest Hiroshima and Nagasaki were happy events, Jameson simply reminded us of that date and I commented on it, before moving on to my cardinals. Dad was in the Navy in WWII, fighting against Japan. He also witnessed an A-bomb test at Enewetak Atoll in 1948. My childhood was full of admonitions that we should do what we can to make sure those two anniversaries are the last. We visited Japan when I was a teen, including a trip to Hiroshima to see the A-Bomb-Dome.

I see how my comment could seem insensitive. For that I apologize.

• Like 8

I stepped out back at work and snapped these shots of the Atlas V launch on August the 8th.  Amazing how the rising sun lights up the rocket exhaust.  The snapshots were taken in Tampa, all the way across the state of Florida where the launch took place on the space coast! Amazing!

Peace!

20190808_061630.jpg

20190808_061626.jpg

20190808_061534.jpg

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.