Whats the best viewer these days?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last I heard Firstorm (with the Phoenix guys) had 75% of the pie. No telling what happened when the Phoenix folks had to choose when server side baking came along. They may have gone to Singularity which has SSB and looks like the old 1.23 still :D.

I have been in the Firstorm camp for a long while. So many things other viewers don't have AND a big support team and classes. That's my input.

Addison Toocool wrote:

I haven't been around in years I was just curious whats the most popular viewer. Is it still Firestorm? or is there something better.

I am using Singularity, I love the look and I cannot beat the FPS I get. I used to use Firestorm but it just seems to be too much of a resource hog anymore and Singularity has the look and feel of the V1 viewer. Just my 2L's.

I use firestorm, and you can choose to make it look like phoenix did as well.

A lot of people I know that use fs, have it set up that way.

As for what is best....that answer is easy. Whatever viewer works best for you, is best. You may have to try some out before you find one that suits you perfectly. Everyone has their preferences. Overall fs is more widely used than any, but it's not best for everyone. None of the viewers are.

It's no answer to that... but I think the Firestorm has over 50% of the users.

Last version of Firestorm isn't compatible with my computer. I hope I can use FS again. I don't know, I think FS has too many features for me. Too feature heavy and last version give a black screen before it's even loaded. 

I use the offical viewer with Starlight skin. It is ok but I am looking for an alternative viewer. Need one with viewer 2 interface, I can't go back to the classic style. Has other viwers that feature where you can click your avatar and get the scripts you use?

Addison Toocool wrote:

I haven't been around in years I was just curious whats the most popular viewer. Is it still Firestorm? or is there something better.

I see TWO questions here.  One in your subject heading and one in the text body.

The best Viewer is going to be the VIEWER THAT WORKS BEST FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL.

Last I looked and heard, Firestorm is still the most Popular.

Your World, Your Choice of Viewer.

Pamela Galli wrote:

For me, Singularity. I 1) have a Mac and 2) crash and burn on the newest FS and 3) can barely move on the LL viewer, so that leaves Singularity. It is a little buggy for me (ie objects often vanish until I relog) but over all it is a nice viewer. 

Which goes to illustrate my point, the BEST VIEWER is the VIEWER THAT WORKS BEST for each individual.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Which goes to illustrate my point, the BEST VIEWER is the VIEWER THAT WORKS BEST for each individual.

A good point that, nevertheless, some people studiously avoid. There's no telling them that their own needs & preferences may well be different than those of others; that, if there was indeed a 'best viewer for everyone', logic dictates that no one would ever need another viewer than that one, therefore all other viewers would vanish (or never even come to life) for lack of use/need... so that in the end there would be, in fact, only one viewer, thus no choice :smileyvery-happy:

Most current viewers have at least a few advantages that make them preferrable for some individuals with certain needs. The official one has usually the advantage of being the first to incorporate Linden Labs' latest changes (improvements?) to Second Life. Firestorm is usually considered amongst the most features, and its huge userbase means better chances for support. Singularity is usually recommended for people who want most, if not all of Second Life's latest things, but in the lightest possible viewer. Some viewers are text-only, or almost, for those who want something really light and care very little about the visual aspects of SL. Some are quite focused towards photography, combat , RPing, building, etc. Some are rather conservative in their implementation of things, others are bleeding edge at, perhaps, the cost of stability or documentation...

Ren Toxx wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

A good point that, nevertheless, some people studiously avoid. There's no telling them that their own needs & preferences may well be different than those of others; that, if there was indeed a 
'best viewer
for everyone
'
, logic dictates that no one would ever need another viewer than that one, therefore all other viewers would vanish (or never even come to life) for lack of use/need... so that in the end there would be, in fact, only 
one
viewer, thus no choice :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I know.  All I can do is keep making the point. 

Personally, I use Firestorm for 99% of my SLing.  Mainly because it has some features that I can see no reason or excuse for the Official Viewer not to have.  But that would be a separate topic.

No viewer seems to operate that well nowadays - I have four installed...I gave up on firestorm...theres currently a ludicrous glitch involving texture mmory which has never been properly resolved - the 'helpers' at firestorm have been giving out the same useless advice for tackling it since 2011....

sl's own viewer has an appallingly cumbersome chat window so I gave up on that...

singularity started giving some very odd graphic results so despite the fact I like singularity's layout I had to stop using that too..

which leaves Catznip most effective on my system - not perfect but better than the others...

My own opinion is stuff's pretty screwed up at lindens affecting how viewers work amongst other issues....

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

No viewer seems to operate that well nowadays

If that is the case for you, it might be time for a new computer or a reformat and reinstall OS of the old one.

I use the official viewer which works great for me on my system - a 2011 iMac.

FS might still be the most popular, but the gap has narrowed from what I recall reading.

Not much of a fan of CHUI either - it seems like an uneeded UI change to address a nonexistent user story... But I've gotten used to dealing with it, and pretty soon as I understand it, it will be mandatory across viewers (if my read of why FS is adding it was correct, and it probably wasn't).

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Addison Toocool wrote:

I am using Singularity, I love the look and I cannot beat the FPS I get. I used to use Firestorm but it just seems to be too much of a resource hog anymore and Singularity has the look and feel of the V1 viewer. Just my 2L's.

Heart!!!! Hiiii...I've missed seeing you on the forums. :)

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

singularity started giving some very odd graphic results so despite the fact I like singularity's layout I had to stop using that too..

A friend of mine began having issues with FS and I recommended Singularity.  After installing it, he said he kept crashing.  (Another wrinkle to this is he lives in a country far, far "beyond the pond" and has no internet service at his house due to the ISP in his country not being willing to install service to his new location so he shares internet service with his neighbor via a router or something, anyway....)

I changed my bandwidth on Singularity from the default installation to 1000 and asked him to try that.  Now it runs very well for him.

Re: odd graphic results - I got some weird flickering going on when I first installed Singularity which was v. 1.8.1.  I posted the issue on their site and received almost instant notification to dl the latest alpha build which took care of that issue. 1.8.2 has just been released and I have had no issues with that thus far.

Just some ideas since you like Singularity. :)

Singularity is for me, the best and least fussy viewer. Of course FS is enormously popular and rightly so but I don't need 3/4 of the features they have built into it. Also when running FS, my Mac's freeze and crash ratio usually rockets especially if I am doing any photowork at high res.

^L^

Lasher Oh wrote:

Singularity is for me, the best and least fussy viewer. Of course FS is enormously popular and rightly so but I don't need 3/4 of the features they have built into it. Also when running FS, my Mac's freeze and crash ratio usually rockets especially if I am doing any photowork at high res.

^L^

It's interesting how Singularity is catching on.  I stumbled on it when I tried another similar viewer but just wasn't quite happy with it so gave Singularity a go and LOVED it immediately!!!  The main reason I like it is that it has the most similar UI to Phoenix (which is ironic that even the Phoenix mode in FS looks less like Phoenix) and, as you said, the least fussy but with all the added features I personally use and love, such as object search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.