Whats the best viewer these days?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Lasher Oh wrote:

Singularity is for me, the best and least fussy viewer. Of course FS is enormously popular and rightly so but I don't need 3/4 of the features they have built into it. Also when running FS, my Mac's freeze and crash ratio usually rockets especially if I am doing any photowork at high res.

^L^

It's interesting how Singularity is catching on.  I stumbled on it when I tried another similar viewer but just wasn't quite happy with it so gave Singularity a go and LOVED it immediately!!!  The main reason I like it is that it has the most similar UI to Phoenix (which is ironic that even the Phoenix mode in FS looks less like Phoenix) and, as you said, the least fussy but with all the added features I personally use and love, such as object search.

You're probably right, Singularity, being based on V1.23, as was Phoenix, is going to look and feel much closer to Phoenix than Firestorm ever could.  Even though the Firestorm team went to great lengths to make it palatable to Phoenix users, there's only so much they could do.  It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people are turning to Singularity now that Phoenix is defunct.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to go back to a V1 type interface.  It's really just a matter of choice and system compatibility.

...Dres

I'd say FS for when you have the bestest hardware and very good connection, when you mainly wanna build or do photos or go shopping or dancing, ball humping or do any of the usual lame stuff or have too much time on your hands.

Singularity is my personal favourite and probably the best viewer for active avies. The FPS and stability makes it the obvious viewer of choice for sailors, pilots, bikers and drivers. Also for  all of us "oldbies" it still has the best V1.2.3 GUI, so our workflow isn't interrupted by perpetually new learning curves.

I've tried some other viewers as well but found them either crashy, cumbersome or unworthy. I briefly tested Dolphin and Catznip but I couldn't really get cozy with them.

LL viewer? What you talkin' 'bout? I said goodbye to Linden's viewer in June or July 07 and haven't looked back yet.

You and me both!  Did you use Nicholaz back then?

Yep, Czari, the Nicholaz viewer. It was recommened to me by a very wise old sailor. Geeze, you remember how it didn't come with an installer but was just a couple lines of code you had to copy/paste into the original viewer? That was wayyy above my non-existing technical knowledge so that guy told me how to install remote access first and then he did it for me. As always I was so excited and babbled on and on until I received a message "take you durty fingahz off the keyboard, silly!"

Anyhoo, Nicholaz opened my eyes to the wonderful world of what's possible if you don't let LL dictate their viewer on you. FPS was much better and from that moment on I was able for the first time to use my boats accordingly without crashing every 5 minutes. And I decided to clue up  more about komputahz and the interwebz, replaced my Siemens/Fujitsu 12" subnotebook with integrated Intel graphics with a much beefier Asus lappy with a discrete AMD gpu. After I burned up that thing - after not even one year - I finally decided to get a desktop.  And not just any desktop but one purpose built by a local PC shop. It's all groovy now. Yeah, baby!

Orca Flotta wrote:

You and me both!  Did you use Nicholaz back then?

Yep, Czari, the Nicholaz viewer. It was recommened to me by a very wise old sailor. Geeze, you remember how it didn't come with an installer but was just a couple lines of code you had to copy/paste into the original viewer? That was wayyy above my non-existing technical knowledge so that guy told me how to install remote access first and then he did it for me. As always I was so excited and babbled on and on until I received a message "take you durty fingahz off the keyboard, silly!"

Oh gosh!!!  I'd forgotten about the code.  I didn't know how to do that either so the person who introduced me to the Nicholaz viewer had to walk me through it as well.  By about the third update of Nicholaz I'd mastered the code installing.
;)

Anyhoo, Nicholaz opened my eyes to the wonderful world of what's possible if you don't let LL dictate their viewer on you. FPS was much better and from that moment on I was able for the first time to use my boats accordingly without crashing every 5 minutes.

One of the main reasons I loved Nicholaz was that, back in the day, I had a 15" monitor - I was actually still using a CRT monitor so I really had less than 15" of viewing space due to the curve of the monitor, or at least it seemed that way.  One of LL's viewer updates took out the ability to resize the chat floater windows, or they could only be resized to a certain extent (which was not much) whereas, prior to that, they could be resized to literally one line of text.  I was working in a club at the time and had to watch local chat closely as well as deal with multiple IMs which would quickly take up most of my screen real estate if I couldn't resize the floaters.

I was tearing my hair out (and muttering darkly under my breath) over this "update" which is when a friend suggested I try Nicholaz.  As he always did, Nicholaz updated all the necessary stuff but didn't remove features that many users loved - such as the ability to resize chat windows.  I was so disappointed when Nicholaz quit developing the viewer; it was when v2 came out.  I think he saw v2 the way most of us did - AWFUL!!!

I went back to the LL 1.23 viewer for a short time (I'd heard all the brewhaha about Emerald so just avoided it) and fortunately Phoenix came out soon after.  TPVs for the win!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.