Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Charli Infinity wrote:

I'm not actually looking for a skin right now just browsing the marketplace to see if there's anything interesting to but end up seeing a lot of tacky stuff.

It's amazing to me that you can tell you father and family about Second Life. I wouldn't  count Second Life as family-friendly place ..A lot of explaining to do if I were to tell my family about Second Life 
:matte-motes-tongue:

that was just from a search doing best selling under skins..

my point was..use the left bar with the right..if you really want to see the true best selling items..you will get more variety..

and the reason i can show my family  is because i know there is more to it than just  a search on the market place..

sl is not all about what you can buy...

it's about your world and your imagination..not someone elses..

if all you have to show them is a page in market search and nothing of your own..then yes they will see that as what sl is about..

my family saw what my sl was about..and they liked my sl..

it's what you make of it..not what others do..that is the whole point of having all this freedom to create..

to create your own sl..

sl is not just one big world..what it is is more like a universe with a lot of worlds in it..

it's much more than what is selling the most..

because some of the best stuff out there is not for sale..

SL isn't for everyone..

you may never get comfy enough to show anyone..

in that area..i am fortunate..because i have nothing to feel ashamed about..

hehehe

Charli Infinity wrote:

It's amazing to me that you can tell you father and family about Second Life. I wouldn't  count Second Life as family-friendly place ..A lot of explaining to do if I were to tell my family about Second Life 

I've told my family that I am in SL.  They know I work here.  They have even seen it themselves because I've toured them through it on an over the shoulder tour.  I admit that I didn't take them to sex sims and other questionable areas, but I don't go there myself so there is no point in it. 

Bottom line is that my family is very conservative (my mother is about as conservative as they come!), and they don't condemn me for being in SL, because they know me and respect my personal values as well as my choices.  Maybe you aren't giving your family the credit they deserve.  Maybe you are projecting your own 'shame' for being in SL on them.  Maybe you shouldn't be in SL if that is how you feel.

Charli Infinity wrote:

I'm not actually looking for a skin right now just browsing the marketplace to see if there's anything interesting to but end up seeing a lot of tacky stuff.

Charli,

I don't tend to tell many people about Sl either, but that's more because it's a get away for me. I don't want to bring everyone I know into it. I know what you mean about a lot of the styles out there. Another poster stated it's how you look from head to toe. Which is very true. If you have an AO that makes you wiggle around all over the place and you're wearing scraps of cloth you found, then yes, you tend to look skanky. I have seen a good amount of people recently (granted it's largely due to the shops I went to) that fit in the group you were referring to. Marketplace gets tons of clothing that has that look. Usually those outfits are priced low, so in turn tend to sell quite a bit.

If you want to tell your friends about SL, but you think they will think you strange for the interest, then you have to show them what it is to you. Don't allow their views of it to be colored by the look you refer to. Show them the softer, and for the true SLers, the more popular SL.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:.

when i got to sl..there were no dark skins at all..

finally i found one after searching and searching...i was like spilled ink on a blank sheet of paper in sl lol

at the time i think i was the only dark haired dark toned girl in sl..it was like almost 2 years before i seen another person in dark hair and dark skin..we kind of just stopped and were like..hey!!!

I stopped when I read this and went WHOA!!!  I had the same issue in reverse, I could not find a nice "fair-toned" skin; the majority of women (and men for that matter) in 2007 had extremely tanned skins.   I do recall reading in the forums that there were very few African-American skins back in the day.  The majority of hair for females back then did seem to be blonde, although I knew several women with dark hair.

Too bad we didn't know each other back then - we could have traded notes on where to find the pale or dark skins.
;)

i'm sorry..i ment dark toned..not tanned..and really it was a good while before i had seen any that were tanned lol

i thought i was all alone..

i didn't find my first real good dark skin until..i wanna say..nomine..

she had some really good ones back then..then finally found my CS which fit perfect for me..

as far as hair..mine was and still is black..although i did have my bleach period lol

but made sure my roots showed hehehe

i don't think i knew anyone that wasn't blond or maybe red headed or mixed colors..

unless they were guys...

people used to ask me if i was black lol

i woudl just say no and kind of change the subject most times..

it took a good while to find the things for my avatar to get her where i wanted her..

because there were not many native things in sl..

not unless you wanted to look like you were going to a holloween party lol

and ya if you wanted pale skins..as many places as i had been..i coudl have loaded you up on landmarks  lol

Charli Infinity wrote:

Still...I think even I show anyone my av they would laugh because the whole game has this look everywhere and also the super realistic genetalia on the marketplace...just aaarrrgghhh! It's the
 whole overall look Second Life is tacky and embarassing. 
If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" :matte-motes-dont-cry: It'll go around as something bad.

The whole look of Second Life,

I love dressing sexy. No I am not naked any means. Nothing is hanging out and I (in my opinion) don't look skanky. I love being able to be provocative. That is my sl. I choose this and I am not in the least bit tacky. I always choose the graceful sexy side for public. I have those outfits that are super naughty when needed if I ever choose to be like that. It is kind of insulting that you would just clump people together like that. I know plenty of sl virgins or conservatives who dress like sl*ts. They don't in real life so they want to be that in here. They like that attention, and I for one will never judge them because they are good honest people who will have your back and care about people. So to the outside world sl may be tacky but to us the ones who are inworld who see the whole picture it is anything but. I show my friends and they don't get it. They think I am an ultra nerd (says the WoW player) however they love seeing what new outfits I put together and they love seeing my photos I make. So I guess ..To each his or her own. 

I feel ya on this - I felt the same way.  I found my first nice fair-toned skin by seeing an avatar in my rp area whose skin was EXACTLY the shade for which I'd been looking.  It was a Gala Phoenix (now Curio) skin.  The annoying thing was that then people started telling me I was "too pale."  GAH!!!!  "Too pale" for *their* tastes (and coming from the "can-only-see-the-whites-of-their-eyes" due to ultra-tanned skin avatars).  I even had someone drop a darker skin on me because they apparently thought I was wearing a newbie skin.  When I told that person I purchased the skin I was wearing (and how much it cost) I could tell they he was stunned...lol.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Charli Infinity wrote:

Still...I think even I show anyone my av they would laugh because the whole game has this look everywhere and also the super realistic genetalia on the marketplace...just aaarrrgghhh! It's the
If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" :matte-motes-dont-cry: It'll go around as something bad.

I love dressing sexy. No I am not naked any means. Nothing is hanging out and I (in my opinion) don't look skanky. I love being able to be provocative. That is my sl. I choose this and I am not in the least bit tacky. I always choose the graceful sexy side for public. I have those outfits that are super naughty when needed if I ever choose to be like that. It is kind of insulting that you would just clump people together like that. I know plenty of sl virgins or conservatives who dress like sl*ts. They don't in real life so they want to be that in here. They like that attention, and I for one will never judge them because they are good honest people who will have your back and care about people. So to the outside world sl may be tacky but to us the ones who are inworld who see the whole picture it is anything but. I show my friends and they don't get it. They think I am an ultra nerd (says the WoW player) however they love seeing what new outfits I put together and they love seeing my photos I make. So I guess ..To each his or her own. 

i am with you on this..i love sexy..i love lingerie..

and i love sometimes loud sexy and subtle..

jeans  nice boots and a bra and fishnet top with  a leather jacket..i'm going to the club!!

but i can't wear something that looks cheaply made or it kills my look i am going for..

i love some of the styles that some designers have..but if the texture is not there..then it's not going on lol

in my opinion..there is an art to taking something that someone may think is slutty..and makign it look sexy and work like a charm..

that's the best part about feeling sexy and being sexy..the build up to saying..ok i'm ready...too the club!! \o/ 

hehehehe

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I feel ya on this - I felt the same way.  I found my first nice fair-toned skin by seeing an avatar in my rp area whose skin was EXACTLY the shade for which I'd been looking.  It was a Gala Phoenix (now Curio) skin.  The annoying thing was that then people started telling me I was "too pale."  GAH!!!!  "Too pale" for *their* tastes (and coming from the "can-only-see-the-whites-of-their-eyes" due to ultra-tanned skin avatars).  I even had someone drop a darker skin on me because they apparently thought I was wearing a newbie skin.  When I told that person I purchased the skin I was wearing (and how much it cost) I could tell they he was stunned...lol.

Gala's were some of the best looking skins back then..a friend of mine had one of hers..

she never bought another skin ever!! lol

so i couldn't go shopping there out of respect for it beign her favorite skin ever..

but i was really in love with my Celestial skin..

so it really wasn't hard to stay away  either hehehehe

i wonder if Curio is back now..

i haven't really checked  to see if that whole thing that was going on last year ever got settled..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i haven't really checked  to see if that whole thing that was going on last year ever got settled..

YES!!!  Curio is back!!  When I first heard about Curio returning I immediately joined her group and there was an amazing pack of skins (tons of them!!) as a "thank you" from Gala.  Now I have a bunch of different looks that work well with my avatar shape.

From what I understand, Curio and the other shop agreed to a settlement.  One of the condidtions is that neither can discuss the terms of the settlement in public.  I'm just thrilled that Curio is back!!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

YES!!!  Curio is back!!  When I first heard about Curio returning I immediately joined her group and there was an amazing pack of skins (tons of them!!) as a "thank you" from Gala.  Now I have a bunch of different looks that work well with my avatar shape.

From what I understand, Curio and the other shop agreed to a settlement.  One of the condidtions is that neither can discuss the terms of the settlement in public.  I'm just thrilled that Curio is back!!

well i am glad that is settled at least..that was such a bad thing going on..

now i can do what i said i was gonna..now that my friend is not in sl anymore..

i said if curio comes back..

she will know i was there..that i was going to leave a trail far and wide and wear her store out leaving no misunderstandign that Ceka was here LOL

i said it a few times in SLU..so i better log in this weekend and go wear her store out LOL

i think i am still in that group they made when all that was going on..i know the manager talked to me in world back then..

i'm just really glad for Gala  that she is back..

i kept going over while i was away on my break to see if that thread was still going and didn't see it anymore..

now i can't wait till the weekend hehehehe

thank you for the update =) <3

Charli Infinity wrote:

Do you ever get that feeling? I go on to the marketplace and the impression I get is that Second Life is the Jersey shore of the internet.
That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

Ph, pfft..those people are such amateurs.   For real "tacky" you need a pro!

Oh...where is Carole when we need her?!   

https://my.secondlife.com/carole.franizzi

Charli Infinity wrote:

Not it's not based on my search. I'm refering on the best selling products link...the things that most people are buying. It seem people really like the stuff with the jersey shore look. 

We merchants have been complaining for a long time about freebies and dollarbies (the tacky stuff) dominating the search.  Make your presence known in the Merchant's forum about this as a customer.  Check out ColdLogic and anything else made by Damien Fate for non tacky clothes.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Charli Infinity wrote:

i am with you on this..i love sexy..i love lingerie..

and i love sometimes loud sexy and subtle..

jeans  nice boots and a bra and fishnet top with  a leather jacket..i'm going to the club!!

but i can't wear something that looks cheaply made or it kills my look i am going for..

i love some of the styles that some designers have.
.but if the texture is not there..then it's not going on lol

in my opinion..there is an art to taking something that someone may think is slutty..and makign it look sexy and work like a charm

that's the best part about feeling sexy and being sexy..the build up to saying..ok i'm ready...too the club!! \o/ 

hehehehe

That, exactly :D 

Charli Infinity wrote:

Do you ever get that feeling? I go on to the marketplace and the impression I get is that Second Life is the Jersey shore of the internet. That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

I admit I embarrassed to say I play second life to anyone in real life because of this reason. Everyone will just think I have one of those tacky avatars :matte-motes-sour:

Not everyone can be white hun. I am tan in sl because I am tan in RL.. Im Puert Rican. and my avi has large breast because well in rl.... When you have big breast most things no matter what have cleavage. I do not look anything like a jersey shore girl and neither does my avi. She represents me. Please dont insult me.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Tacky is a perception of course and what you may think is tacky, others may not. One thing great about SL is that diversity reigns supreme. A suggestion if I may, when your friends ask, show them a picture of your AV.

And yet 9 of 10 avatars (exaggeration folks) are that same tall blond super tanned cleavage monster with 'my pimp done smacked me good' black eyes and a frown, or the male 'beach boy tan' with governator muscles, t-rex arms, and tall enough to make Yao Ming feel like a dwarf.

Diversity is possible in SL. But possible is not the same as actual.

Amie Kaestner wrote:

Tell me about it. I've been trying to fine a male skin that's not got a bulging six pack and the only alternative to those are the androgynous femboy skins. I don't really want my av to look like a he-she either.

My male alt, a distinguished-looking gent who looks a bit like Edward Callum in The Equalizer,  recommends checking out Pulse, which offers some of both their male and female skins in different ages.   

braylasana wrote:

We merchants have been complaining for a long time about freebies and dollarbies (the tacky stuff) dominating the search.  Make your presence known in the Merchant's forum about this as a customer.  Check out ColdLogic and anything else made by Damien Fate for non tacky clothes.

Great content is out there. And I see more and more of it everyday. I see people shopping for it all the time, but then when I start wandering around social venues I feel like I'm the only person who buys any of it... and I keep meeting folks on 2006 blinged-out freebies. o.O

Marketplace is tricky. But if they just had a toggle demo button, and toggled out anything labeled as demo, or in reverse, ONLY showed demo items - that would clean a lot of clutter while at the same time making the so-called clutter very useful when flipped on.

- sometimes you want to find all the demos, compare them, then get the real goods. But these should not be grouped alongside actual freebies.

As for filtering out freebies and dollarbies, just set your price floor to $2L+. But then again... this filters out the demos... :P

Posting to your first comment, but with thoughts from others. After reading back through the thread the one thing I see most is you saying the MAJORITY of SL avatars look like your Jersey Shore examples. There are around 50,000 avatars inworld at any given time. If you haven't seen, on average, about 26,000 avatars a day you really can't make that statement. It might be perfectly true that the majority of the avatars you DO see look like Jersey Shore refugees. But unless you can meet the number I suggested you can't say that about all of SL.

I sure don't see a majority dressed that way. True, I don't go to many big clubs and I tend to spend most of my time with people I know, but I do travel some and shop. I see a whole lot of silly looking people and a whole lot of tacky looking people but for me it's nowhere near a majority.

As for male skins, you might be right. These days the guys I see are usually wearing shirts so if they have 6 pack abs I'd never know. But more often than not their general build is pretty reasonable. Not all body-buildered out.

This reminds me of something from where I had my first house. Went to a fishing contest at the park/mall/community center next door. The guy who ran it unfailingly wore a shirt and tie. For the contest he still wore the shirt and tie, but had changed into shorts while still wearing the brogans and black socks. I had to tweak him on it (his partner joined in) so he switched to some kind of surfer swim trunks with nothing else on. His skin/shape looked like a very fit late twenties/early thirties male who probably surfed or rock-climbed—that is to say, pretty damn good. I kept suggesting to his partner that she might have left a burner on or the iron plugged in, but she didn't fall for it.

As for women's clothing; I'd taken this picture to respond to another forum post that suggested all the clothes in SL were slutty but never posted it.  I don't see this as a slutty look. The top is too open for my taste, considering I don't have much to put there, but I couldn't find anything to wear under it that didn't look dumb. And some might say the skirt's a bit short, but I like 'em that way. All of this is on the Marketplace: League top and skirt, Bax boots. I'm pretty sure I bought it all inworld (I know I did with the boots) but it is Marketplace stuff. Not a speck of mesh, either. Mesh is great but there are still good looks without it. 

Not That Slutty.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.