Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Charli Infinity wrote:

What is this about you looking at my groups and saying i'm content creator? Now that's generalisation.

No, that's inductive reasoning.

Charli Infinity wrote:

I have also said I know it's not everyone's avatar but the
majority.

Do you understand what that means it means-
not all
but a large percentage. 
I didn't say the all are

Actually it wasn't until your third post that you made that distinction. Your first post just said that Second Live IS tacky. Meanwhile, by advancing the hypothesis that the MAJORITY of SL is tacky, you need to do some sort of scientific study to prove that. Probably would have been safer to stick with "much."

Charli Infinity wrote:

Don't know about you guys but whenever I check the best selling for bargains on the marketplace, there's always avatars with tanned skin, cleavage and dark eye makeup so that what the majority of SL likes?

oh you can't go by those catagories in there..

you have to define your search..

a lot of those get manipulated ..that and they can be misleading because they have been selling things longer than others....

rather than just seeign what is on some popular search..what is it you are looking for?

that is the best way to search..

because there is every kind of shade you can think of in sl for avatars skins..

clothes there is more styles than you can shake a stick at..

the last thing sl is is limited to a jersey shore style hehehe..

i've been shopping hard in sl since i've gotten here..which was back in 2006..

there are zillions of directions to go in sl..

when you say jersey shore style to me..that says certain type of club style..

what style are you actually looking for and lets see if we can find it? =)

Charli Infinity wrote:

The word are Second life
looks
tacky

which it does to me based on what I see

I didn't say IS as if it's a fact.

My mistake. However, you did advance the proposition that Second Life LOOKS tacky, in its entirety.

Still haven't seen your avatar by the way, Charli. Let's see the girl. Yeeea.

Charli Infinity wrote:

Thanks. I know there are other styles there but main popular thing in SL seems to be the jersey shore look.

that is just what you are seeing on the market in a certain search..it doesn't mean it is the most popular..

what it is is the most popular in the search you are coming up with with your seach..

the market can be tricky to search..

someone culd have a whole different seach than you and see a whole other style of things..

and then again.. maybe this is some trend that is going on right now..but just like anything..if that is what is popular today..a month from now it may be something totally different..

what search terms are you using when you type them in?

Edit: sorry if this post is missing letters and things..i'm on my Ipad and sometimes it's a pain lol

Charli Infinity wrote:

Not it's not based on my search. I'm refering on the best selling products link...the things that most people are buying. It seem people really like the stuff with the jersey shore look. 

i wouldn't say most people...the prices on that stuff are pretty low really..

all it takes is one clique in a club to put someone up on the front page..

but i see the stuff you are talking about..the kind of skimpy ware stuff.. that is really pushing a kind of false identifyer for sl really..

a lot of that kind of stuff is what a lot of newer people to sl buy...they are not a lot of the top of the line stores you come to know when you have been in for awhile..

you see the changes in people over time after they get here and then when they really start to know sl a bit more..

the conservative side of them tends to show more and they start to find what they want in sl more than what the others around them are doing or wearing..

that stuff is popular because it's a lot of the stuff people first see when they get here..because they get pushed landmarks to places like that..

so those places get  noticed under the best sellign section..

just looking at the prices it says to me in many of those places..newby store..

a lot of places try to pull the newer users to them soon as they get here..

that stuff is popular with newer users for sure..not saying older users don't like skimpy things..

but it's much more popular with the new users just getting here..

Charli Infinity wrote:

Do you ever get that feeling? I go on to the marketplace and the impression I get is that Second Life is the Jersey shore of the internet. That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

I admit I embarrassed to say I play second life to anyone in real life because of this reason. Everyone will just think I have one of those tacky avatars :matte-motes-sour:

Barbie dolls have certainly moved on from floral dresses, big hats, and cute little court shoes. Even as a little girl we used to like those lick on stick on transfers that you can even get as adults (temporary tattoos).

Second Life is all about supply and demand. People want what the people want, but I certainly wouldn't deem Second Life as a whole to be tacky.

And if I were you, I wouldn't be worrying what anyone may or may not presume to think about if you should mention Second Life to them, but if you do, have a mug made for all of your friend's with your avatar's name on it and how your avatar looks. That should put them straight. :matte-motes-smile:

lol.jpg

Charli Infinity wrote:

Yeah. Thanks for getting it. Back to my original point, it is a bit embarassing to admit playing SL because of that. All the skimpy stuff gets to the top does make it look tacky as if everyone is just here for sex like how most non SL users think. 

that and plus you are doing the best selling of everything..that won't happen if you say go to skins..

but really what is standing out for you is the tacky stuff...it does stand out ..

even on a moderate search..and really a lot of people first come here for just that reason you are saying..

a lot of the boost in population in the past have been from bad publicity..

not only..but it has happened..

some scandal and next thing we know..log in's have jumped 20k in a day lol

now if you do best selling in the skin section...you will see way more of the best selling skins and all kinds of variety...

best selling of everything will give a bad first impression of what really is popular..

when i got to sl..there were no dark skins at all..

finally i found one after searching and searching...i was like spilled ink on a blank sheet of paper in sl lol

at the time i think i was the only dark haired dark toned girl in sl..it was like almost 2 years before i seen another person in dark hair and dark skin..we kind of just stopped and were like..hey!!!

because we  had never seen anyone else like us before that lol

it was all pretty much pale skins and blond hair pretty much everywhere..

i'm dark toned in Rl..so it's why i searched so hard for one when i got here..

now it's like..wow i can not only pick my tone for any skin i find..but there are so many skins now that i can't pick enough lol

SL will always have tacky stuff in it..

but a lot of places on the internet do as well..most virtual worlds dfor instance..

and the more people become used to virtual worlds like they are..and realize they are not just about those tacky things..

the less people will feel the cover is the whole book..

my husband knows i am in here and my father and my family..

they seen there is tacky stuff in here..but i took them past that and showed them my land and what i actually do in here when i am in here..

they were blown away..

omg you made that? that is awesom..

they were asking me if i could design buildings and stuff to show our customers..

i was like sure!! lol

they really were impressed..

some things in SL are always gonna have a tacky look..but it's not really the huge good part that keeps people staying here for years and years..

the deep down good stuff is what causes that.. =)

Charli Infinity wrote:

Yeah. Thanks for getting it. Back to my original point, it is a bit embarassing to admit playing SL because of that. All the skimpy stuff gets to the top does make it look tacky as if everyone is just here for sex like how most non SL users think. 

Get this ( hardcore SL - users might hate me for this ) :

I love Survivalcraft, a Minecraft-clone. I love Counter Strike: Source. I love a lot of digital leasure others in RL / SL  might contempt me for.

So .... (effing) ... what ? :robotindifferent:

ETA : There's so much non-sexual creativity in SL that it renders the 'sex only' - arguement as truthfully invalid.

Charli Infinity wrote:

Still...I think even I show anyone my av they would laugh because
the whole game has this look everywhere
and also the super realistic genetalia on the marketplace...just aaarrrgghhh! It's the
 whole overall look Second Life is tacky and embarassing. 
If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" :matte-motes-dont-cry: It'll go around as something bad.

The whole look of Second Life,

At a trial, various expert witnesses offer their opinions, such as medical examiners, and they often differ. It's important to know the qualifications of each one, and that involves personal information. There's a difference between "I have a degree in pathology and have practiced as a medical examiner for fourteen years" and "I used to watch Quincy."  With your statement above you were offering yourself as an expert witness in tackyness; I merely was wondering about your qualifications.

I'm not actually looking for a skin right now just browsing the marketplace to see if there's anything interesting to but end up seeing a lot of tacky stuff.

It's amazing to me that you can tell you father and family about Second Life. I wouldn't  count Second Life as family-friendly place ..A lot of explaining to do if I were to tell my family about Second Life :matte-motes-tongue:

Charli Infinity wrote:

Do you ever get that feeling? I go on to the marketplace and the impression I get is that Second Life is the Jersey shore of the internet. That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

I admit I embarrassed to say I play second life to anyone in real life because of this reason. Everyone will just think I have one of those tacky avatars :matte-motes-sour:

I don't like any of the above looks either, however I am rarely in SL locales where I see these avatar "styles."   On the plus side, I see fewer skins that look like one has spent way too much time in a tanning booth these days than I did back in 2007.  Trying to find a fair skin that wasn't "Goth white," or too orange or yellow when I began SL was very difficult.

Charli Infinity wrote:

Still...I think even I show anyone my av they would laugh because the whole game has this look everywhere and also the super realistic genetalia on the marketplace...just aaarrrgghhh! It's the
 whole overall look Second Life is tacky and embarassing. 
If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" :matte-motes-dont-cry: It'll go around as something bad.

The whole look of Second Life,

Again, it depends on what one makes of SL, as mentioned above.  When I talk about SL to my family/friends, they think of it as the place where Czari runs a little store, where she took Spanish lessons, enjoys training her VKC dogs, attends church services, took extensive classes to learn Gimp, enjoys traveling back in time to the Victorian era, etc.  My SL does not include any of the above items you mentioned.

I would suggest branching out in your SL activities if you think SL is *only* a sexual diversion.

ETA:  I have pulled up SL several times to show my mother - once she watched when I went to a ballroom so she could see how avatars dance.  Another time I took her on a virtual tour of the lovely sim where my SL church is.  She was very impressed with the scenery and how realistic it was.  Her main comment was that my avatar looked like her when she was younger.  I tried to make my avatar resemble me in RL as much as possible and, when we were younger people always thought my mother and I were sisters, so that pleased me when she said that. :matte-motes-smile:

SL is very family-friendly...just depends on where you go.

I don't share your opinion, but I do understand a bit about how you came to the conclusions you have. Plenty of people do share your opinion too. I won't say it's right or wrong, because opinions really can't be. It's something we own,, it's ours to make, implement in our lives, change if need be, etc...

As with most areas of life the things we dislike the most, tend to stick out. They're memorable and we are often more vocal about them, than we are the things we do like. Not saying we don't like things at all, of course. I am quite certain there are things you do like about sl as well. Otherwise, you wouldn't still be here, despite being concerned about what others think. If we try to focus more on the positive aspects of our experiences, it won't magically make those things we dislike go away. However, it just might make them seem less significant.

Also, when people say things like "don't worry what other people think", I think it's a pretty generic statement people use when they're not necessarily prepared to give a better answer. At some point in our lives, we all worry about the opinions of others. Even if we'd rather not care about them, or we disagree with their views entirely. We do still prefer they not have them. I think that's a pretty normal feeling, and it's inevitable at some point in our daily lives. People who say they never care or never give a thought to what others think or say, aren't being very truthful to themselves, or anyone else. We all do. It's how, when, if and why we let others' opinions affect us that matters far more than simply caring about it now and again.

I don't share your thoughts that sl looks, is, or behaves, in that manner. Or that the majority of anyone truly likes those looks. I say this because I've been all over sl and I have come to find that while there are certain areas, groups, places, etc... that would fall under that sort of umbrellla.....the rest of sl does not. I find the majority actually swings the other way. But then, as I said, I've been all over. If I were limiting my exposure to only certain places, certain types of sims, certain people, or anything else of that nature, I'd expect to probably have a similar opinion.

I think any sort of search or even just looking at things on the mp, is going to give you poor results. Mostly because while it is pretty popular and a ton of people use it, a ton of alts do too, and there are lots who don't use it at all. You also can't discount the inworld spending habits and desires. That one is a bit more tricky to determine. Inworld there are far more shops that offer a much wider array of products than you'll find on mp. So that helps lend to the side of the fence I happen to sit on. The side that says a majority of sl is not like that.

One last thought too. Some of these trends you're talking about, are in place in rl too. Except in rl, it's on a much larger scale. One still really shouldn't be able to say "rl looks tacky" or conclude that everyone in rl also desires those things you dislike so much, and expect that others will also agree. Sure, lots of them do, but there are a lot more people who don't. I strongly believe that sl simply mirrors that, on a much smaller scale.

• Like 1

First, people come to second life and can look like they always dreamed of looking in RL.  They can look forever young and have what to them is the perfect body.  So it is natural that they may wear more revealing clothes in SL than in RL. After all a lot of clothes in RL are designed to cover 'trouble spots'  or to hide aging. 

Second, people lose a lot of inhibitions when they come to SL.  There is no society pressure to conform and be conservative.  No one here is pointing fingers at them saying you can't wear that, look a certain way, be that or act in a certain way.

Third, a lot of people in SL belong to communities for one reason or another.  Some are roleplayers and some just because they identify with the lifestyle.  Some of those communities have a style of revealing dress that is the norm that you may find tacky or too revealing, such as gang communities, motorcycle clubs, night clubbers, even things such as fairies, drows etc.

Fourth, I've seen many a fashionista dressed is supposedly high couture that look like fashion victims and look a lot more tacky to me than some of the people you are complaining about.  How many women do you see in SL that are always wearing ball gowns 24/7?  I see a lot.  Yet it is supposedly tacky to wear evening attire before 5 pm.  Do you condemn them too?

Fifth , beauty, and tacky, is in the eye of the beholder and is very much influenced by your RL culture.  I'm betting that you come from a more conservative one.  I am not condemning you because of the choices you make as a result.  You shouldn't condemn others.

Lastly, I am betting if RL were more like SL that you'd see the same thing in RL.  SL is all about being who you want to be not what other people or society imposes on you.  In addition, SL is for adults and older teens.  There are no children here to 'protect' from seeing things.  There are a number of places that I personally find offensive or tacky.  I just don't go there.  There are probably plenty of places in SL where the are people that dress in a way that meet your standards. 

If you choose to tell people you are a resident of SL you can always explain to people that their perception of SL is wrong too and  show them why.  Then even though they they still condemn it and you, knowing your values, than that is more a reflection on their narrow mindedness and refusal to see the truth, not on SL.  You may even be surprised and get a positive reaction.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

When I joined SL in 2006, bling was the order of the day for many avatars and creators. Shoes, jewellery, accessories and so on flashed like lights on a Christmas tree.

Oh gosh...memory flashback (no pun intended)!  I am sooo glad bling has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

This may already have been mentioned (I am responding to posts as I read them) - there is a program on TV in the US called "Jersey Shore."  It is a "reality show" - the participants are not actors.  The name comes from an area in the state of New Jersey.

Ceka Cianci wrote:.

when i got to sl..there were no dark skins at all..

finally i found one after searching and searching...i was like spilled ink on a blank sheet of paper in sl lol

at the time i think i was the only dark haired dark toned girl in sl..it was like almost 2 years before i seen another person in dark hair and dark skin..we kind of just stopped and were like..hey!!!

I stopped when I read this and went WHOA!!!  I had the same issue in reverse, I could not find a nice "fair-toned" skin; the majority of women (and men for that matter) in 2007 had extremely tanned skins.   I do recall reading in the forums that there were very few African-American skins back in the day.  The majority of hair for females back then did seem to be blonde, although I knew several women with dark hair.

Too bad we didn't know each other back then - we could have traded notes on where to find the pale or dark skins. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.