Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you ever get that feeling? I go on to the marketplace and the impression I get is that Second Life is the Jersey shore of the internet. That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

I admit I embarrassed to say I play second life to anyone in real life because of this reason. Everyone will just think I have one of those tacky avatars :matte-motes-sour:

Charli Infinity wrote: Everyone will just think I have one of those tacky avatars :matte-motes-sour:

Tacky is a perception of course and what you may think is tacky, others may not. One thing great about SL is that diversity reigns supreme. A suggestion if I may, when your friends ask, show them a picture of your AV.

Still...I think even I show anyone my av they would laugh because the whole game has this look everywhere and also the super realistic genetalia on the marketplace...just aaarrrgghhh! It's the whole overall look Second Life is tacky and embarassing. If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" :matte-motes-dont-cry: It'll go around as something bad.

The whole look of Second Life,

Second Life isn't tacky - not even in your eyes. It's the avatars in it that may be tacky in your view.

You are actually saying that the people (or many of the people) who use SL are tacky, because they make their avatars look the way they want them to look. And it's my opinion that most people make their avatars look the way they themselves would like to look in RL. So be careful what you say. You are actually talking about real people ;)

You did remind me of something that happened not long after I came to SL. A female friend had a female avatar that looked quite sexy - short skirt, etc. One day she decided to show her mother round the place - her mother simply looking over my friend's shoulder. It didn't surprise me that my friend's avatar was suddenly dressed a lot like a librarian for that demo :)

Charli Infinity wrote:

If people knew they would be like "hey do you know Charli plays  Second Life?" and "Oh, that game where they have cybersex and slutty avatars?" It'll go around as something bad.

Or you might get asked by some snooki for some smoosh smoosh ? ... :robotindifferent:

The thing to remember is that the very first audience of every content creator is themselves. People make what they like. Those who want to sell what they make, make what someone TELLS them (either in word or by buying trend) they like. 

You see bulging muscle boys with their pants half unzipped because a lot of the makers of those skins and clothes are gay men. They make what they want to see. Femboys are created by rl femboys or the admirers of femboys. By the same token, you see the slutty look for women created by those who find that attractive; they either want to date it or be it. Myself, I was similar to you. I had another character I wanted to create and having looked through the offerings in the market I was put off; lot of femmy looking skins and those that I suppose are meant to be straight males wearing eyeliner and/or lipstick. (The eyeliner thing really kind of ticks me off). And then, just as you found, everybody (if not a fantasy/writing paper white) was "tan". And tan in ways that defy reality. In the end, the only way to get EXACTLY what I wanted was to make it. Which really isn't so hard with all the tools and templates sold on the mp. You dont have to go pro. It can just  be for you. But you will be satisfied.

Totally agree with Sinful, what confuses me is looking at your groups you are a creator yourself, and an old one at that.. So then what is the point of the thread? Do you honestly think this thread is going to change anything?

Threads that generalize or are attention seeking irk me. You know I spend a lot off time helping out at one of the most popular sims in SL and though you do see gratuitous AVs, men with shoulders wider that A roads and Barbie girls, there are a lot of guys and girls that I know who are conservative yet stylish with their AVs. Again Generalizations aren't helpful

Charli Infinity wrote:

I'm not generalizing

You named the thread "Second Life looks...tacky" You wrote :

Charli Infinity wrote:

That tacky jersey shore look everywhere..Female avatars: tanned skin, tacky revealing clothes (always with cleavage), dark eye makeup and male avatars: muscular six pack, also very tan and sometimes greasy, and shirt unbuttoned too low.  Then there are the tattoos and piercings that just makes it look even more tacky. Tattoos and piercing can be tasteful but the most of avatars with them just look tacky or emo.

You are generalizing

generalizing  present participle of gen·er·al·ize (Verb)

Verb
  1. Infer general principles from: "it is tempting to generalize from these conclusions".
  2. Make general or broad statements: "it is not easy to generalize about the poor".

I have never heard of a Jersey shore look, presumably it means something to those in America rather than those on Jersey in the Channel Islands, but your description says it all. You probably should avoid the current Whore Couture Fair then :smileyvery-happy: Yes, it really is called that. Even I ran out of there in a few minutes and I am not unknown for wearing revealing outfits with short skirts and cleavages and rarely seen without my black eye makeup. No tanned skin though, more European sun-kissed:smileyvery-happy:

Whether you appear tacky or classy when wearing revealing outfits depends on your overall look from head to toe including skin, shape, hair, makeup, accessories etc and where you buy the outfits. Some stores such as Glam Affair offer revealing outfits which could never be regarded as tacky under any circumstances. Equating revealing clothes and cleavage with tacky is not valid in my book. Far as I am concerned, Second Life is for fun. I opt for a look I like and others can dress their avatars however they like. Long as they are happy, it doesn't matter whether it looks tacky to others.

When I joined SL in 2006, bling was the order of the day for many avatars and creators. Shoes, jewellery, accessories and so on flashed like lights on a Christmas tree. To me, revealing outfits were fine but bling was tacky in the extreme and I never bought anything with bling where it could not be turned off. Clearly though, many oithers thought they looked great. It's all a matter of perspective.

it's an observation.

I have also said I know it's not everyone's avatar but the majority.

Do you understand what that means it means- not all but a large percentage. I didn't say the all are.

What is this about you looking at my groups and saying i'm content creator? Now that's generalisation.

The author of this thread reminds me of an "innocent" average person who is complaining bc google shows him ads with sexuall contect, not being aware of the fact that google shows you content that you usually search across the web.

That being said, if you don't like it, move on! Simple as that:)

it;s more than likely you haven't seen 1/8 of the market..

or the world for that matter.once you define your searches better you will see more variety of things..

from what i am hearing from you..you are only seeing one of the many types of styles that are on the grid..

i'm not sure how long you have been on ..but give it time..you'll see some pretty cool stuff let alone variety in many things..even avatars..

heck go look in the avatar section of the forums under vanity thread..there is a wide range in that thread alone..

=)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.