Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

pet store girl.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

She'd never get a job as a librarian, I'm afraid. The glasses are good but that's all.

Would the clerk at the pet shop work for you instead?

Nope. She's much too casually dressed. Not prim enough. The glasses are good though :)

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

A female librarian should wear a skirt that's well below the knee and preferably tweed, and a blouse that's buttoned either to the top or to one button down from the top. She must never wear high heels. Flat, or nearly flat shoes are a must, of course, and preferably brown or black.

I hope that helps, Trinity
:D

You forgot the glasses, they must be a bit pointy... and the librarian strap that dangles from them when worn and that they dangle from when not.

It's all about the glasses, Phil.

Oh, and the eyes!

There is the "peer over" which is necessary for people who cough more than once, and the "glare at" for people who talk above a whisper.

It's all about the glasses and the eyes.

And maybe a pearl necklace if she's a hottie.

Yeah, it's all about the glasses, and the eyes, and the pearl necklace.

... goes off to fan herself.

well! actually

the glasses with the straps are practical. they not fashion statements ok. ok !!

is same with the skirt and the flat shoes and the button up top

flat shoes bc you on your feet most of the day. putting books away.

skirt need to be below the knee and pleated. bc have to climb up ladders. and the pleats give you leg room to go up the rungs. if is to short then can give pensioners heart attacks when climbing up ladders

same with the button up blouse. like schoolboys not get any reading work done if they cant see the pages in their books bc of the eye magnets

+

is all very proper and practical is the librarian dress code  

+

the peering over the glasses thing is not actual in the librarian manual of standards and deceny. is coy and unbecoming in young ladies is that peering thing 

and same for old lady librarians to do. bc all the coy got rubbed out of them already ages ago. they old battle axes by then. and is nothing coy about them at all by then. except when they are. and is horrible to watch when they do that

so no. is not in librarian manual that part at all

jejejeje (:

16 wrote:

the peering over the glasses thing is not actual in the librarian manual of standards and deceny. is coy and unbecoming in young ladies is that peering thing 

and same for old lady librarians to do. bc all the coy got rubbed out of them already ages ago. they old battle axes by then. and is nothing coy about them at all by then. except when they are. and is horrible to watch when they do that

jejejeje (:

Having  been peered at by a librarian on more than one occasion (and by more than one librarian, too, but that would take me too far afield) I don't care whether it's in the manual or not. I liked it. ;-)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

jejejeje (:

Having  been peered at by a librarian on more than one occasion (and by more than one librarian, too, but that would take me too far afield) I don't care whether it's in the manual or not. I liked it. ;-)

you are defo so doomed you know. they going to put your picture up in in the library if you not careful (:

and in the Librarians Gazette as well. in the o.m.g!!! section. altho i heard rumors that they going to remove that section from the Gazette. bc seems some people been treating it as some kinda kinky dating service. dunno how true that is tho. is just what i heard

jjejeejejejeje (:

16 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

jejejeje (:

you are defo so doomed you know. they going to put your picture up in in the library if you not careful (:

and in the Librarians Gazette as well. in the o.m.g!!! section. altho i heard rumors that they going to remove that section from the Gazette. bc seems some people been treating it as some kinda kinky dating service. dunno how true that is tho. is just what i heard

jjejeejejejeje (:

I don't think they print the Gazette anymore here in the States, but either way I'll take my chances.

My reason for replying was to respond to something else you said (and I know it was said in jest) that i'd missed but that actually does matter a bit. I refer to this: "...and same for old lady librarians to do. bc all the coy got rubbed out of them already ages ago."

I remember being a teenager and reading about/hearing about old (like over 30) people having romantic connections. I just figured okay, fine, they're all cuddly but it's nothing like the earthshaking soulsearing things I experience. Turned out that was not the case. It hits with the same force at alll ages. If a young person ever asks me about love I'll tell her/him that it never stops.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

jejejeje (:

jjejeejejejeje (:

I don't think they print the Gazette anymore here in the States, but either way I'll take my chances.

My reason for replying was to respond to something else you said (and I know it was said in jest) that i'd missed but that actually does matter a bit. I refer to this: "...and same for old lady librarians to do. bc all the coy got rubbed out of them already ages ago."

I remember being a teenager and reading about/hearing about old (like over 30) people having romantic connections. I just figured okay, fine, they're all cuddly but it's nothing like the earthshaking soulsearing things I experience. Turned out that was not the case. It hits with the same force at alll ages. If a young person ever asks me about love I'll tell her/him that it never stops.

It certainly does not.

ok, im ready for going at work at library today. So what am i wearing ?

a jeans skirt right to my knees, not below, not above, just right on. a black strap top with a lil shirt in laces with transparency on it, its blalck with lil pink flowers. black leggins and my black Kickers ankle boots. no jewellery (not in mood for this) just wearing some drops of a Guerlain's perfume.

I guess this wont fit with what english speaker imagine for a librarian.... its funny, bec in french when we talk about sm1 not dressed sexy we say "shes dressed as a noun"... so well...knowing that you say "as a librarian" you can fig what fun is for me....

Ok, i dont fit with the usual librarian prob. my whole story doesnt fit aswell hehehhehe... But you see, as i said before, never judge sm1 from the appareance. 

Then, my library (and its my best professional victory, bec im the one who initiated it) has the name of a french author, that of course, writed damn good, but also, has been a hooker in her life and also made a lot of hold ups with her bf... A kind of Bonnie (without Clyde) but french and author.... Its my bigger pride.... 

So yes, in such library, you cant meet librarian like the one you are imagining.... not possible :smileytongue:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Then, my library (and its my best professional victory, bec im the one who initiated it) has the name of a french author, that of course,
writed
damn good, but also, has been a hooker in her life and also made a lot of hold ups with her bf... A kind of

A little sidetrack, if I may.

The use of the word 'writed' reminded me of a Portuguese guy I knew in Portugal, who spoke such good english that I'd known him for a while before I discovered that he wasn't English at all. And he'd learned to speak english like a native english speaker from watching TV. In the years I knew him I only ever heard one fault in his english, when he said that the tape had been 'rewinded' instead of rewound. Rewinded was logical but wrong. Trinity's 'writed' is also perfectly logical but wrong. It's 'wrote', Trinity. 'Writed' isn't a word.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Then, my library (and its my best professional victory, bec im the one who initiated it) has the name of a french author, that of course,
writed
damn good, but also, has been a hooker in her life and also made a lot of hold ups with her bf... A kind of

The use of the word 'writed' reminded me of a Portuguese guy I knew in Portugal, who spoke such good english that I'd known him for a while before I discovered that he wasn't English at all. And he'd learned to speak english like a native english speaker from watching TV. In the years I knew him I only ever heard one fault in his english, when he said that the tape had been 'rewinded' instead of rewound. Rewinded was logical but wrong. Trinity's 'writed' is also perfectly logical but wrong. It's 'wrote', Trinity. 'Writed' isn't a word.

hahahhahah..

yes its "wrote".. and i knew it.. shame on me... but well, i was about to leave my home for going to work and so almost late...

but i know i do such mistakes with english verbs a lot... its part of my french accent while im writting english, isnt it ? Also, its sometimes, my brain that is too lazy for searching the right way to say smth and then it decide what english language should be. Im helpless here... if my brain wants to decide, its a damn stuborn brain.. 

But well, im a french librarian, not an english one.. so english language is not often required in my job... phew ! im safe then...

Sadly, on the contrary of your portuguese friend, this is not the only one language mistake you ll hear from me :smileysad: This is why i use to say that my english language is more a language that pp can guess than an language they understand :smileywink:

English can be a weird language. Now I'm remembering from way back - back to when I was at school when, for a short time, we had a French girl teaching us French. She was probably on a short exchange scheme. She used a word and pronounced it 'boff'. We didn't understand what she meant and it turned out that she meant the branch of a tree - bough.

Learning to speak English must be difficult with words like that. That 'ough' sound is used in the following ways:-

oo - example: through

ow (as in cow) - example: bough

oh - example: though

uff - example: rough

off - example: trough

or - example: thought

What a weird language.

Phil Deakins wrote:

English can be a weird language. Now I'm remembering from way back - back to when I was at school when, for a short time, we had a French girl teaching us French. She was probably on a short exchange scheme. She used a word and pronounced it 'boff'. We didn't understand what she meant and it turned out that she meant the branch of a tree - bough.

Learning to speak English must be difficult with words like that. That 'ough' sound is used in the following ways:-

ooo - example: through

ow (as in cow) - example: bough

oh - example: though

uff - example: rough

off - example: trough

What a weird language.

well this is maybe bec English is a tacky language ? idk :smileytongue: (we dont know what the OP think about this... maybe its clear for him/her that english is tacky too since Jersey shore tv show use this language too ... who knows ?)

btw, bof should be translated by "meh" in english.

but you know, french is pretty more complex and difficult than english. So i shouldnt be afraid by some diff way to pronounce a sound.... but well, its not logical for my brain, and as i said.. my brain is damn stuborn... 

wise decision.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

She'd never get a job as a librarian, I'm afraid. The glasses are good but that's all.

Would the clerk at the pet shop work for you instead?

Nope. She's much too casually dressed. Not prim enough. The glasses are good though
:)

Probably a wise decision any how.

In all my sleuthing, I've not found a cover of "Little Boxes" that sounds like what I'm remembering. I'm not old enough to have remembered Little Boxes when it hit the charts, but I do listen to radio shows that cover music of that time and two local radio shows that does "Cover Nights" during which the DJs dig through the history of a song. I've found that so interesting that I now use YouTube to do that myself.

There is apparently a TV show called "Weeds" that opens with versions of Little Boxes. Here's a YouTube playlist with 27 episode introduction covers, including many of those I posted earlier...

I like many of them, but my favorites are Regina Spektor's, Malvina Reynold's, and Pete Seeger's (in that order, Regina is superb here). I suppose it gets more difficult as the Weeds epidsode count grows, as you have to work harder not to sound like the song is about your cover of it.

And here's another adorable cover not in that playlist...

I think Weeds' use of Little Boxes is brilliant and could be applied to SL, which is a mix of the ticky tacky described in the song and the wonderful imagination revealed in the various covers.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

writed

IMO, verb tenses are the hardest part of learning any language.  I used to speak Spanish fluently, then over time lost a lot of the speech part (I can still read and write Spanish better than speaking) and when my Spanish is corrected it's always those pesky verb tenses.  I've heard that English is a very hard language to learn partly due to having rules, then "exceptions" to the rules plus several words that sound alike but are spelled differently, etc. *

Heck, English speakers often have difficulty understanding each other.  Some of the heavy accents in the US Appalachian region can be tricky and then there's the Boston accent.  Don't even get me started on my visit to London where the hotel clerk spoke Cockney English.  My friends and I looked at each other and said quietly, "He *is* speaking English, isn't he?" ;)

ETA: Ack, sorry Phil.  I hadn't read your follow-up post before I posted.  Excellent example of words that are spelled similarly but pronounced different. :)

Okay, this goes on my favorites list...

Here's a hip-hop version that I hope is lampooning itself. If not, then my age and whiteness are showing. The "Individuals" sound to me like most ticky tacky hip-hop groups. If they are a real band, their name is an eye-roller...

The Womenfolk...

Bomb the Music Industry with Little Boxes (of angst!)...

The Thermals...

Dierks Bentley...

Hunter Parrish...

Aimee Mann...

Okay, I think I'm done...

... I think.

Perusing the previous posts it is obvious we need an SL "Glee" sim.

Kind of like Karayokel instead of Karaoke.

Regarding english accents: RL peeps thinks me's a Pom cause I speak clearly and precisely :smileysad:

*Looks for a pair of thongs, (flip flops) and a beer but doesnt have any...

waaaah! aconfsd.gif

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm astonished that so many versions of that song have been recorded. No doubt there are more that haven't made it onto YouTube - including Nina and Fred's version, of course.

I think the Weeds television show is responsible for many of the covers of Little Boxes, but some tunes just wheedle their way in our collective consciousness, because of their sound and/or their message. I've traced other tunes through YouTube. Some have been going strong for hundreds of years. I recently looked into the musical call and response "Shave and a Haircut / Two Bits" and was delighted to find a rich history for that little seven note riff.

I do like applying Malvina Reynolds' idea behind the song to life here in SL. One of the eureka moments we all share here is the discovery that we can build things out of...

...Little Boxes!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm astonished that so many versions of that song have been recorded. No doubt there are more that haven't made it onto YouTube - including Nina and Fred's version, of course.

I think the Weeds television show is responsible for many of the covers of Little Boxes, but some tunes just wheedle their way in our collective consciousness, because of their sound and/or their message. I've traced other tunes through YouTube. Some have been going strong for hundreds of years. I recently looked into the musical call and response "
" and was delighted to find a rich history for that little seven note riff.

I do like applying Malvina Reynolds' idea behind the song to life here in SL. One of the eureka moments we all share here is the discovery that we can build things out of...

...Little Boxes!

the end of your post  instantly reminded me of this =)

it's my favorite i think over the years..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.