Is there a website which tracks members and online-stats for Second Life and other grids?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

I think this is one of the few times where necroing is quite acceptable; more or less "This information is old, is it still correct?" is a reasonable continuation of an old discussion, and there's an argument to be made that having up-to-date info at the end of an old thread is useful for people who might find the old rather than a potential new thread when searching for the information.

I'm just jaded,  administrating a car forum since 2002,  we've had to implement a rule, old topics says dead topics and we auto lock them now after 3 months of them not being posted in.   but we are million plus hits a month in just registered uses and something over 3 millionish for unique hits.  so I'm just old and fickle lol.

6 hours ago, Freyja333 said:

Hi, I'd like to reactivate this topic because no one of the provided links are today offering updated economical stats. Do you know if there is any other user or website providing economical info of SL? Thanks a lot.

I share useful links and statistics on my blog. I do update the page with any new stats on a regular basis. 

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/sl-stats/

At SL18B a few Lindens mentioned that the Second Life economy is still going strong and there was a peak last year in user concurrency during the first wave of covid-19. 

The Second Life grid survey is useful however most of the stats and charts are outdated. 

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

topic is from 2012, these need to be auto locked.

I thought that we could use this old post instead of write another new one because there was a lot of outdated information on this post and it could be a good way to actualize it. Anyway, if the moderators consider this is not correct I have no problem starting a new one.

5 hours ago, Quistessa said:

FWIW, economic data from Tillia: https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/market.php

and http://gridsurvey.com/ (someone else mentioned it, but they put it in a spoiler-like block)(the site is super slow to load for me) (edit: it was mentioned in 2012, I hadn't read up. . .)

I think there is up to date info about gird status and connections but what is related to economy is outdated. It was the best economic tool when I left SL.

4 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

I share useful links and statistics on my blog. I do update the page with any new stats on a regular basis. 

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/sl-stats/

At SL18B a few Lindens mentioned that the Second Life economy is still going strong and there was a peak last year in user concurrency during the first wave of covid-19. 

The Second Life grid survey is useful however most of the stats and charts are outdated. 

I read your blog, Daniel, and your info is very useful at the general level, thanks, but I'm looking for deeper analysis the way gridsurvey did in the past.

Edited by Freyja333
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I'm curious why the intense interest in the economical status of SL/LL. 

As I wrote in my first post here, I have some projects in mind (I'm sorry but I'm not going to make them public now 🤑) and it would be useful for me to have access to updated economical info. I'm not interested in the accounting of LL but the global economic health of SL "in game".

5 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm just jaded,  administrating a car forum since 2002,  we've had to implement a rule, old topics says dead topics and we auto lock them now after 3 months of them not being posted in.   but we are million plus hits a month in just registered uses and something over 3 millionish for unique hits.  so I'm just old and fickle lol.

Maybe you are right, but one of the first things I learnt of using a forum is that you should look for old answers before asking a new question. In this case, there are answers to my question but they are from 2012 so it could be a good idea to use this topic to ask for updated answers instead of start a new one.

1 hour ago, Freyja333 said:

As I wrote in my first post here, I have some projects in mind (I'm sorry but I'm not going to make them public now 🤑) and it would be useful for me to have access to updated economical info. I'm not interested in the accounting of LL but the global economic health of SL "in game".

So are these projects going to cost you RL money (exchange rate currently 240L=$1US)?     

Or are you afraid LL will fold and your projects will be lost?   I'm not really worried about WHAT the projects are.

SL/LL  is what they are. Builders and club owners invest RL$  in SL all the time. Some at a constant rate. Primarily club owners since most clubs work at a loss.   To my knowledge no one has an argument how LL does business. 

I guess I'm not really understanding your concern.  Go to SL, start building, spend your minimal money, take your chances.     

Edited by Doris Johnsky

1 minute ago, Doris Johnsky said:

So are these projects going to cost you RL money (exchange rate currently 240L=$1US)?     

Or are you afraid LL will fold and you projects will be lost?

SL/LL  is what they are. Builders and club owners invest RL$  in SL all the time. Some at a constant rate. Primarily club owners since most clubs work at a loss.   To my knowledge no one has an argument how LL does business. 

I guess I'm not really understanding your concern.  Go to SL, start building, spend your minimal money, take your chances.     

I'm afraid you are not understanding what I'm asking for. I'm not worried about the L$ vs US$ exchange or about the finnancial healthy of LL. What I need is economical information about resident daily spending, average prices paid per square meter, and other economical stats. 

48 minutes ago, Freyja333 said:

I'm afraid you are not understanding what I'm asking for. I'm not worried about the L$ vs US$ exchange or about the finnancial healthy of LL. What I need is economical information about resident daily spending, average prices paid per square meter, and other economical stats. 

What possible difference does it make, unless you plan to buy LL out and make them public.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quistessa said:

FWIW, economic data from Tillia: https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/market.php

and http://gridsurvey.com/ (someone else mentioned it, but they put it in a spoiler-like block)(the site is super slow to load for me) (edit: it was mentioned in 2012, I hadn't read up. . .)

She posts Grid Survey info on VVO so you don't have to wait for her page to load. She isn't maintaining it like she used to because she can't provide all the data she used to. LL cut off all economic data years ago.

1 hour ago, Freyja333 said:

average prices paid per square meter

Hmmm. Did they really provide that metric, way back when? There are all sorts of ways it could be horribly misleading. But if one were motivated try to extract some signal from it, there's still a kind of public proxy: the prices paid for individual parcels at auction.

I doubt anybody is scraping that data, but maybe. There are obvious reasons to be skeptical what it might mean, but that's true of any average land price.

But this 8 year old thread adds so much value.

Can't you smell it? Like an old book, a haunted attic, grandmas saucy murder doll collection ...

but on topic .. LL did use to publish all kinds of numbers, and as those numbers started to decline they became a sore point and we're slowly stopped.

I am amazed we still get concurrency.

We should have all the numbers again.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But this 8 year old thread adds so much value.

Can't you smell it? Like an old book, a haunted attic, grandmas saucy murder doll collection ...

but on topic .. LL did use to publish all kinds of numbers, and as those numbers started to decline they became a sore point and we're slowly stopped.

We should have all the numbers again.

After this discussion revival I understand that the main problem is not that people decided to stop maintaining their info webs but LL has stopped showing the data. I agree with you. This data, even if they show that SL is not in its best moment, should be public.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your answers. I'll try to collect all the data I need with the tools available and some in game research.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Probably because others could obtain it by sampling.

For what it's worth,  here are concurrency numbers for SL and competitors, with links to the data source.

• Second LIfe (47,211 now)
  • Decentraland. (201 now.) That's the server status page.
  • Sominum Space (31 now.) Click on "Visit popular parcel" to see the busiest parcels and add up the numbers.
  • Roblox (1,798,621 now)
  • VRchat (16,925 now)
  • IMVU - no info source found
  • Facebook Horizons - no info source found
  • Minecraft - no info source found

Edited by animats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Minecraft is off the chart. It's an absolute monster that just keeps getting bigger.

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/minecraft-statistics/

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-state-of-minecraft-in-2021/

Estimates appear to be around the 3 million mark for concurrency, but it's not clear what regions, if the free Chinese version is included, and has no mention of the mod pack based games (which probably leave SL in the dust all by themselves).

There are few games I can throw up a server on a whim and have friends and relatives, of all ages, immediately hop on and play for a few weeks solid. I'm being poked about a new vanilla server just to play the latest update. It's not something we play constantly, but every few of months it's a very welcome chance for everyone to get back together.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Minecraft is off the chart. It's an absolute monster that just keeps getting bigger.

I know. It took them ten years of steady growth. And rewriting their system several times.

Since they recently went public, you can read their SEC registration filing, which tells a lot about where they  are and where they're going.

I met the Roblox CEO a long time ago, when he had a tiny physics engine company in an an alley off 8th St south of Market in San Francisco. Back then he was making educational products.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, Freyja333 said:

I read your blog, Daniel, and your info is very useful at the general level, thanks, but I'm looking for deeper analysis the way gridsurvey did in the past.

Thanks very much. I think what we need is a new grid survey website with updated metrics which is some sort of deeper analysis. 

The Second Life grid survey is useful for sure but most of the data/stats/graphs are way out of date now. The only new statistics we are all going to get is during the annual birthday events where at least one Linden will share the recent stats for Second Life. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.