Discontinued.

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect we all have.  One item I bought more recently was just several shades of tone off and very over exposed compared with the delivered product.

The response I got was that it depended on my windlight settings.  Except that my windlight settings are the default and viewing it at default windlight/midday  was where it revealed that the picture was either exceedingly photoshopped or *their* windlight settings were so soft and light that it was a complete distortion.

No apology, no offer of any compensation, nothing.  There's no way it could have been made to look like the picture.

As a merchant, I take my pictures using default windlight and midday.  It might not be the most flattering but i'm making product shots, not artwork in that sense and i'm going to work with defaults, not some dreamy setting that nobody else uses.

As a customer, the merchant I illustrate here has no more business of mine, that's the only option really, such is the amount of dysfunctional selling that goes on here.

As a customer, if you bought off marketplace, you can leave a negative review. Unfortunately, that's about it, other than spreading the word to your friends. If you have a blog, you can also write about it there. You might also be able to report the item for being "not as advertised," but I don't know if that would work out well - you got the item, you got the all the pieces (I assume), it just didn't look the way it should have according to the image you saw. And again, I think this is pretty much for marketplace purchases, so if you bought inworld, I don't think there's much you can do.

There's been some recent discussion over a particular (women's) shoe creator who seems to do the same thing - she takes images of her shoes using a different 3D program, then photoshops the shoe/foot on the leg of an SL avatar. It looks much better on this outside modelling program than it actually does inworld, so you really don't get what you pay for. Live and learn; the level of dishonesty in SL is sad, but really no worse than it is in RL. It's irritating, certainly, but I generally leave a negative review and move on. If I purchased inworld, I just delete the item from inventory, make a mental note to never shop from that store again, and move on.

I haven't seen any clothing stores with demos, other than for mesh clothing. There might be a couple, but I haven't seen them.

iCade wrote:

I have been thinking about making this topic for days now, and now that I have been personally affected by this shady practise I decided to speak up. Now I do not have the delusion of getting my L back but I might as well raise my voice on this topic.

Shameless photoshopping to make products look amazing in the MP/on Vendors while they look FAR less good in the client.

I have read this time and time again in product reviews, not just one person, but a lot reviewing an outfit saying the Preview picture was photoshopped to hell and back, colors are off, textures look flat and so on. Arrogantly enough I figured this couldn't happen to me as I have used Paint Shop Pro for almost 10 years now for graphics, textures, layouts and so on. I thought I had a pretty good eye for it. Boy was I wrong.

Generally speaking, the outfit I saw in the market place looked beautiful. Sexy white top with a gold trim, lovely jeans with a vague, scaly design and a nice pair of shoes. What did I end up getting? A barely textured top, the gold trim was a muddly yellow, the pants were equally flat and the shoes didn't fit nor could be resized. The ONLY thing that was like the preview picture was the cut of the clothes.

Edit: To clarify, this isn't a viewer issue, I had 3 different friends check out the MP listing of the product and then check me out in game IN that outfit. They all were shocked at the difference.

I feel deceived as a customer, and ashamed as a creator. Where is the line drawn? Are these shady practises even allowed? Where can I report this?

It's one thing your (general you to those who do this) clothing looks like crap, but photoshopping it to make it look amazing is lower than low. The time you spent on photoshop you could of spent to actually MAKE your outfit look that amazing!

Now today I have spent an hour going through the catalog, reading low star outfit reviews that had more than 20 reviews on them. The number of products that seem to be bait and switch is either going up, or it's already stupidly high without me having realised it.

I am speaking about clothing mainly as in most stores you unfortunately do not get to demo them. That's why from now on I will have to shop at stores that LET you demo clothes.

Have you ever fallen for this?

How do you feel about it?

What actions should I take as a deceived customer..and quite angry merchant?

Well although it sure does sound underhanded and deceptive that they use photoshop to enhance the actual image of the clothing etc. that they are selling in MP.....

lets put this in perspective into the RL.....

Ever see how absolutely perfect and delicious and mouth watering A&W or BurgerKing burger looks on TV?  Every layer perfectly positioned with freshly sliced veggies and fluffy bun (PS this is not just them but all fast food TV commercials).  Then you run to the nearest BurgerKing and ask for that perfect Whopper...... unwrap it to eat it and.....

WHERE DID THE FRESHLY CUT VEGGIES GO?  Why is the bun flattened and not fresh and fluffy?  Why cant I see these layers like on the TV?

OMG... yes.... those darn Marketing ppl bamboozled me!  They perfectly built that burger and positioned it in a nice setting and heck they even used non eatable food coatings like varnishes and sprays to make the burger look like a runway model of burgers......  Ohh and photoshop to touch up what they didnt fake out in the photo-shoot.

Speak of runway models?  :)  why do they and the clothes look that much better in the magazones?  Blemish free?  Opps.... marketing with that crazy evil photoshop.  :)

And how bout that Dodge Ram or Chevy or Ford pickup truck that hits all those under-carriage / suspension destroying bumps in slow motion?  Amazingly tough trucks.  Funny thing is if I try hitting that same bump with my new Ford truck, I would be towed away to the mechanic 10 seconds later. :)

Sadly .... some call it false advertising.... some call it MARKETING :)

i have had this happen as well..it pissed me off.

As a merchant i take pics inworld in-front of a prim with an image on it.. if i decide to i add text. i do not do ANYTHING to the image. no color change, touch ups, NOTHING! the pics that have 4 different angles and shiny text, shadowing and what not on one image are ridiculous. we can have 8 images per item.. take multiple pics.

Technically you could Flag the item as an incorrect image.

My thoughts exactly!

When I complained that a white outfit looked dirty and sooty, the merchant said "Well, here are the windlight settings I used."  and "Well, its one of my best sellers." As if that should be reason enough to keep my complaints to myself.

Its so "Emperor's New Clothes"!

Even if I set my windlight settings to suit a particular outfit, to everyone without that setting I still looked like I'd just walked through a pile of ashes.

And no ~ no apology, no money back. All I could do was use the MP review to warn others.

Though I initially liked the "look" of this merchant's items, I wll not purchase from her again. I don't like to support arrogance with my hard-earned money. I also will go further than just not recommending this merchant. I will share my experience when people ask "Where can I get such-and-so?"

As consumers, it really is "Buyer Beware."

As a merchant, I try to look at all my products under the best possible graphics settings AND at the lowest. Because not every one has great systems or knows how to change settings.

And I want my customers to get the best I can deliver.

Its a matter of pride over profit.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I haven't seen any clothing stores with demos, other than for mesh clothing. There might be a couple, but I haven't seen them.

I haven't seen many clothing store demos, but I have seen (and used) some.  Now my mind is blanking on the name of one of the stores but it sells mostly upscale, period-style dresses.  The shopping area in Avilion doesn't have demos, but they have their capes/robes displayed in 3D so you can "step into" it and get a pretty good idea.

I'm fortunate it sounds like that I have not personally purchased any bait & switch clothes, but I tend to stay with a handful of designers that I have purchased from for years.

This is where offering a freebie outfit comes in handy.  I know there has been a lot of debate on this issue in past years, but if I am not familiar with a designer, am interested in their clothes and they offer a freebie, the free item gives me a good idea of the quality of their clothes.  Ditto for hunt items.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I haven't seen many clothing store demos, but I have seen (and used) some.  Now my mind is blanking on the name of one of the stores but it sells mostly upscale, period-style dresses.  The shopping area in Avilion doesn't have demos, but they have their capes/robes displayed in 3D so you can "step into" it and get a pretty good idea.

I'm fortunate it sounds like that I have not personally purchased any bait & switch clothes, but I tend to stay with a handful of designers that I have purchased from for years.

This is where offering a freebie outfit comes in handy.  I know there has been a lot of debate on this issue in past years, but if I am not familiar with a designer, am interested in their clothes and they offer a freebie, the free item gives me a good idea of the quality of their clothes.  Ditto for hunt items.

I completely agree with Czari on how a customer can protect themselves from the universal strategies of product marketing often putting their products in the best light possible.  You wont win the battle of making all product manufacturers take marketing pictures that are 100% in the perfect view and perspective as you might want to see the product.  They are trying to sell their product and they will try to put it in the best perspective possible.

But what a customer can do who wants to protect themselves from possible misleading promotional material is not buy a product purely based on the photos they see on MP.  Go inworld and see if the merchant has demo products to try on or if they have the product on display in the store.  THEN you can actually see the product as you would see it.

The scenario is always..... Buyer Beware and as Czari said, this situation has an easy solution.... get the demo, ask for a demo, let the merchant show you etc. If they cant or dont want to show you.... tell them Good Bye and walk away.

The question of exactly where and when product promotionaly material crosses the line of false advertising is blurry and subjective.  As I pointed out in my past posting, many people can say that most TV commercials are false advertising when they use food varnishes and photoshop and props etc to make the product they sell at the store look like its 10 times better.  BUT to me, its black and white false advertising if a company adds functions or components or features to a product that it does not actually sell. 

But to saying that its false advertising when a clothing merchant models their outfit and uses all the AVAILABLE features that the general SL community has available to them as well to make their product look as good as possible.... that is not false advertising.   Photoshopping blenishes out of the outfit that were actually in the outfit they sell... that to me is false advertising.

But again... the solution is easy for the consumer..... if you want to be completely safe and assured of what you are buying before you buy... dont buy products on SL MP until you see the real demo inworld.

I did of course leave a 1 Star Rating and explained exactly why I had given it. When I hit sent my review was IMMEDIATELY hidden. Merchants should not be able to do so. I cannot even warn others of making the same mistake.

The seller has not responded to my curteous IM's & Notecard.

I was also automatically added to their stupid update group. I did not get the chance to opt in, I was simply added and I went ot their in game store to somehow opt out...couldn't figure out how.

Customers should be protected from this shady practise, more and more people do it.

I have recently become a merchant, and the only thing I add to my product is a shadow around it to make it pop from the background texture. I do not smooth lines, I do not use any strange windlight settings in the main picture. I did use windlights in the EXTRA pictures for my skyglobe to show the costumer that it looks good in other windlight settings than the default, I certainly would never make a product that only looks good in ONE windlight setting.

In short, there should be a section added to the TOS that forbids the heavy photoshopping. Adding a background and writing to make your product picture stand out from the rest in the catalog is great, I love it, but tinkering with the product itself and photoshopping it until it's barely recogniseable from what you get in game is just a no go.

Also comparing the SL MP to RL is comparing apples and oranges. Yes it could be marketing, but my specific example is clothing. When gold ends up being dirty yellow, when TEXTURES and up FLAT and NON TEXTURED on the actual product, that is NOT even legal in RL. When they sell you pants with a reptile pattern and you end up with simply white pants that have muddy, sooty spots on them then that is NOT market. That's quite frankly, criminal.

ETA: This is NOT about windlight settings. This is about products being enhanced to make the customer believed they are textured in a certain way when they are FLAT white, and the 'texture' is sooty, grey spot they try to sell as reptile texture...

Would it be possible to take a picture of me in game with the outfit, and then cut out part of the MP ad so no names are shown? You will not believe the difference....

Sassy Romano wrote:

I would expect we all have.  One item I bought more recently was just several shades of tone off and very over exposed compared with the delivered product.

The response I got was that it depended on my windlight settings.  Except that my windlight settings are the default and viewing it at default windlight/midday  was where it revealed that the picture was either exceedingly photoshopped or *their* windlight settings were so soft and light that it was a complete distortion.

No apology, no offer of any compensation, nothing.  There's no way it could have been made to look like the picture.

As a merchant, I take my pictures using default windlight and midday.  It might not be the most flattering but i'm making product shots, not artwork in that sense and i'm going to work with defaults, not some dreamy setting that nobody else uses.

As a customer, the merchant I illustrate here has no more business of mine, that's the only option really, such is the amount of dysfunctional selling that goes on here.

I am even more pedestrian and shoot at mid-day without any windlight.;) I do shoot high rez against a plain background I remove and the paste into a template I have that shows sides and the rear of the item. Most bad reviews I have are for non-delivery and I re-deliver in-world with an im asking if they got the item.[of course the majority of them never respond and do not know even how to change a review] The reviews of others items that I read that bug me most are for great items that have super pictures and the skirts are sculpts and of course will not flow/flex and the customers did not read the description and complain about it. Oh if only merchants got notified of reviews a lot of good merchant/customer relationships might be built. ;)

iCade wrote:

I did of course leave a 1 Star Rating and explained exactly why I had given it. When I hit sent my review was IMMEDIATELY hidden. Merchants should not be able to do so. I cannot even warn others of making the same mistake.

Huh? I didn't think merchants *could* change or hide any of the reviews. What would be the point of them if they could?

iCade wrote:

I was also automatically added to their stupid update group. I did not get the chance to opt in, I was simply added and I went ot their in game store to somehow opt out...couldn't figure out how. 

To me, this is even more annoying than photoshopped ads.

iCade wrote:

Would it be possible to take a picture of me in game with the outfit, and then cut out part of the MP ad so no names are shown? You will not believe the difference....

Ironically, sure, by using Photoshop. A bit of magic with the rubber stamp, and you're all set. :)

- Luc -

I think no one should photoshop their actual merchandise in sales pictures. Backgrounds are ok, and fixing things such as hair going through a body on a particular pose are ok, but the items themselves should never be touched and the picture should be taken under default daytime lighting not a special windlight setting

.Yes it may be marketing to some and done in RL, but the difference is that you can go and see the merchandise before buying it in RL, but you can't do that here with most things unless a demo is offered or you see it modeled.

I would however leave a very negative review, and flag the item as not as advertised because in truth it wasn't.  You can also spread the word among your friends in SL, as well as outside SL

Unless the merchant refunds your money, doubt that you have any other recourse other than never buying anything from that merchant again. 

iCade wrote:

The seller has not responded to my curteous IM's & Notecard.

Customers should be protected from this shady practise, more and more people do it.

I have recently become a merchant, and the only thing I add to my product is a shadow around it to make it pop from the background texture. I do not smooth lines, I do not use any strange windlight settings in the main picture. I did use windlights in the EXTRA pictures for my skyglobe to show the costumer that it looks good in other windlight settings than the default, I certainly would never make a product that only looks good in ONE windlight setting.

In short, there should be a section added to the TOS that forbids the heavy photoshopping. Adding a background and writing to make your product picture stand out from the rest in the catalog is great, I love it, but tinkering with the product itself and photoshopping it until it's barely recogniseable from what you get in game is just a no go.

Also comparing the SL MP to RL is comparing apples and oranges. Yes it could be marketing, but my specific example is clothing. When gold ends up being dirty yellow, when TEXTURES and up FLAT and NON TEXTURED on the actual product, that is NOT even legal in RL. When they sell you pants with a reptile pattern and you end up with simply white pants that have muddy, sooty spots on them then that is NOT market. That's quite frankly, criminal.

ETA: This is NOT about windlight settings. This is about products being enhanced to make the customer believed they are textured in a certain way when they are FLAT white, and the 'texture' is sooty, grey spot they try to sell as reptile texture...

iCade, I am not picking on your very specific example.  Each situation is unique, but to suggest that because of what pisses you off with this one example of abuse of photoshop there should be yet another TOS that would be completely based on LL personal subjectivity is clearly not the answer and a dangerous slope to slide on.

I highlighted your statement you suggested.....

In short, there should be a section added to the TOS that forbids the heavy photoshopping.

So, lets say LL actually listens to their customers for once and they say "OK iCade has a great point.  We will make that exact statement of hers a a new TOS rule".

So now, what is considered heavy photoshopping?  If a merchant cuts out their SL photo'ed raw image of their product and uses photoshop to superimpose it onto a completely different background (like a fake background scene or a blank studio screen etc).  That is heavy photoshopping and yet the product is EXACTLY as shown?  What if the model wearing the outfit is completely airbrushed to remove the avatar rogue hair ?  What if the merchant increases the lighting or contrast of the entire image that the product is on?

And before you answer all my questions with your interpretations, ask yourself, will the LL TOS Moderator see it the same as you?  Will this TOS be used by customers that feel the TOS applies because for their video card it did not look the same as the picture? 

A completely disagree that this issue needs a TOS ruling.  It would totally be abused and misinterpreted by merchants, customers, and most importantly LL.

And I also disagree with you and anyone else that say Marketing in SL and RL is different.  Tons of merchants - and that includes clothing category - offer demos and instore models.  If they dont and you are too concerned about false advertising to want to risk spending $1 or $3 on an outfit because you cant prove 100% that the outfit looks different on you than the photo.... just dont buy from that merchant.  Or buy it and if its wrong and you get no customer service from that designer, file a negative review and as others said, file a support ticket that the product images on MP were false representations of the purchased products.  If you can prove your case to LL - you will get satisfaction that way.

What I am saying is that you dont need a TOS to resolve this issue.  Mechanisms are already in place.  Use them.

I know 2 stores that offer in game demo's at the top of my head for clothing. The rest of the stores I have shopped at recently did not offer that.

And we agree to disagree. If you're the type of person who makes a purchase and receives something different and far less of quality than they expected and you're cool with that, then that's your decision, I am however not cool with that.

4 month of shopping, a good 100.000L spent on clothing, furniture, houses and all sorts of things and this is the first time I feel so utterly deceived.

Whatever you say to make this merchant be in the right, that merchant is maliciously deceiving customers to get L for a bad product. That is never okay, no matter which way you look at it.

I'm gald you brought this to attention. I hate when this happenes and not all of the time am I able to tell if something has been photoshopped a lot or not. As a customer I would do as most have already said. You can flag it for item not as advertised and/or leave a reveiw.

Not to take up for the merchant, but it may be possible because clothing textures look a lot better on "high" or "ultra" Graphic Settings. Also I have noticed that different viewers take pictures differently, some better some worse. But either way if tons of photoshopping was done, it is not right. There are ways to make your picture better without having to edit the clothing on the pic. I either think that the people do not know how much they are editing their pictures (because it looks good to them), or there are those who do realize it and still do it to decive.

iCade wrote:

iCade,

There is no way a Merchant can hide a review. It may be your browser has the old reviews page in cache and is showing that to you, but there are no controls available to a Merchant that allow us to hide or even alter a review. The most we can do is reply to it or report it for removal; but they only remove a rating when it is for delivery failures.

Darrius - I see, I figured Merchants could do this as it has happened to me time and time before, both when trying to check out reviews and when giving them. When I read reviews it's on products I have never before opened, so I figured it wasn't a cache problem.

Thank you very much for letting me now, that certainly has made me feel better that people can't do that and I'll hard refresh from now on in hopes of not having to clear my FF cache all the time >.<

iCade wrote:

I know 2 stores that offer in game demo's at the top of my head for clothing. The rest of the stores I have shopped at recently did not offer that.

And we agree to disagree. If you're the type of person who makes a purchase and receives something different and far less of quality than they expected and you're cool with that, then that's your decision, I am however not cool with that.

4 month of shopping, a good 100.000L spent on clothing, furniture, houses and all sorts of things and this is the first time I feel so utterly deceived.

Whatever you say to make this merchant be in the right, that merchant is maliciously deceiving customers to get L for a bad product. That is never okay, no matter which way you look at it.

You are are missing my point.

I am not defending the specific merchant you are frustrated about.  And I am not debating with you if this specific merchant was misrepresenting his/her product or that he/she offered you poor after sales service.  I will trust you that this person is guilty.

BUT.....

The point I was trying to make is that this situation does not warrant a knee-jerk reaction that "We need a TOS on heavy photoshopping of product photos".  Your proposed cure for this situation would most likely be more painful for all merchants - including the 95% that are innocent but the new TOS would be used as an abusive subjective tool to impact their MP / Inworld business.

All the measures and customer protections are in place for you to use to both prevent and respond to situations like this WITHOUT the need for a TOS.

That is what I am saying.

And as Darrius stated, reviews (even completely unfair ones) cannot be hidden or removed by the Merchant - only LL.  In fact even the Merchant's comment to an abusive review is a small hard to find "comment" link that most ppl dont see or click.  If you actually posted a negative review of this Merchant's product and you now see it is gone, it is because that merchant filed an AR against your review and LL agreed with her protest and removed it.

Here's what I see:

The trim is over-highlighted, but it looks that way in the advertisement image as well as in your image. It's meant to be gold, but to give it that metallic sheen, the merchant used a LOT of white high-lighting - too much, for me, so it does indeed look mostly white.

The textures are fuzzier inworld. I do not know why that is - if the image is photoshopped to clarify it, or if there's something different in settings between your computer and the creator's, etc. I often get fuzzy-looking textures on my own screen (low graphics, though I understand that you say you always use ultra for yours), though they look perfectly fine at a slight distance. As close as you were when photographic the top, it's not unusual for me to get that fuzzy look. The advertised image was taken from a further distance; perhaps this is part of the difference.

I see the gray textures, particularly on the pants. But it actually does look like it might be a windlight issue. I notice this in clothing when I'm using default light settings - it looks "grayish," especially the bottoms, since they're further from the "light." The advertisement photos may have been taken using a windlight setting such as "Nam's Optimal Skin" (the one I prefer for myself, in fact) or a similar windlight that helps remove shadows.

Mostly I see your point about the shoes. They ARE too small for you. What is your foot size? Most people who make shoes do so for feet that are set to 0 on the slider. They SHOULD have a resizer, though, or at least be modifiable.

Would it be possible for you to take more images at a brighter windlight setting? I find myself curious now as to whether the image was heavily photo-shopped, taken under different windlight settings, or both.

I don't know Firefox that well, but IE has a setting that allows me to basically reload a page on every visit. It's cache management is so poor that I finally went to that setting .. it was the only way to see the "True" page rather than something it cached in 1993. LOL

FF probably does have a setting to control that as it's the "Geek's Browser" with lots of knobs and twiddly-things to ... well .. twiddle with. But since I don't use it, I'm afraid I don't know which twiddle to twist.

I use Chrome primarily and it seems to be more intelligent about its cache management. I'm sure it's got a similar setting, but I haven't found the need to mess with it .. yet. I have found myself hard refreshing a time or two, but not so often as to inspire me to .. ahem ... twiddle with it. *grin*

Happy Twiddling!

I don't mind photo-shopping of incidentals.  I don't want to be distracted from the actual sale item by square bits on avatars, nose shadows, hair poking through the breasts, etc.  But the actual product itself should be left to look as it looks on an avatar in-world.  That's what people are buying it for after all.

In the meantime......for your viewing pleasure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.