Breaking News: Last Names Are Coming Back!

LiveReport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In a statement made on Second Life Profile Feeds (a.k.a. SLums) Rodvik Linden announced that last names will most likely being coming back early next year.  Quote: “Last names under active discussion. We are trying to figure out how to do it in a way which would be excellent rather than just okay.” This is one reporter that hopes the option of having the last name “Report” is one of the excellent features.

The Report Post: https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden/posts/4ee6a8320d42770001000e53

SLums Feedback on Post: https://my.secondlife.com/livereport/posts/4ee6d10d0d42770001002359

LastNames.JPG

• Like 1

Just as long as my name doesn't suddenly become 'Reggae Resident' I'll manage.

Well, not so sure I want to be 'Reggae Bohemian' either... :D

Let accounts with no last name pick one from the -ENTIRE- active list, type one in (like in 'those other grids'), or keep themselves at one name.

Hmmm... might want to let them get a 'rename respec' for purchase or free too... for all those poor sods stuck on 'Marysue1981 Resident' ...

- And you know what, nobody has a -RIGHT- to be able to track anyone else... so to all the 'drama mamas' that will complain that letting them rename means it'd be armies of secret alts... tell em too bad... People who want folks to know who they are will tell folks they want to know who they are - and that's what counts.

That is amazing news!  I think a part of bringing back last names is to fix all the 'resident' last names. Also, people who had 'resident' also ended up choosing odd first names so maybe they have to change those too. I still like display names though, so I hope we can keep that too.

We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Some people already have names that are more difficult to remember than their UUID.

So far LL been very carefull not to break too much content. So im guessing people will not be able to change their names. Changing name would create big mess and destroy giant pile of content.

So, your name will prolly stay "LiveReport Resident", but maybe you will be able to create new "Live Report" account.

And the name is already "Reggae Resident". Some software just dont display the last name, but it is there.

Liisa Runo wrote:

So far LL been very carefull not to break too much content. So im guessing people will not be able to change their names. Changing name would create big mess and destroy giant pile of content.

There's no logical reason for that.

Everything has a UUID, and a column and row in some database.

There is no reason any of us even has a unique name. They can tell you anything they want, but its all bunk. Databases have no need to think that way, and if they currently are - change them. Any database fool can take the data from one database and move it to another - pay them, and they'll do it large scale.

Of course the IT folks at LLs have probably sold management on a series of made-up limits in order to avoid having to work a few extra hours.. :) (Not always a bad thing to do, when management can come in with near-Dilbert-boss like demands on a daily basis - trimming some of hedges in advance can shift their 'memes' away from the usual corp-speak insanity.)

Liisa Runo wrote:

And the name is already "Reggae Resident". Some software just dont display the last name, but it is there.

Actually not. The name is Reggae, and 'Resident' gets appended on anytime the system asks for a last name and returns a null entry. At least this is what they claim.

On the face of it, this is great news.

As each week passes new usernames are becoming ever more moronic. To an extent though, I still blame the present sign up process for this because it gives no indication whatever to new residents that usernames are very important as a unique identifier and will be visible to, and relied upon and used by, others.

Here is one example of stuff what will be broken when someone changes name:

changed(integer change){ if (change & CHANGED_OWNER){   ownername = llKey2Name(llGetOwner()); }}

Personally im not too worried about my stuff, i love to do everything my self, so i can adapt to what ever change. And i dont really mind if i need to re-buy some stuff that maybe go broken.

Not trying to argue here, but i have heard that our database have UUID, first name as a string, and integer for the last name. Servers, viewers and databases can be changed to do almost anything. But user created content is something that LL cannot change.

Anyway, im happy that LL realised that display name is not going to replace real name, and that LL is planning to stop the mess. I just hope they find a good way to do the change.

LiveReport wrote:

In a statement made on Second Life Profile Feeds (a.k.a. SLums) Rodvik Linden announced that last names will most likely being coming back early next year.  Quote:
“Last names under active discussion. We are trying to figure out how to do it in a way which would be excellent rather than just okay.”
This is one reporter that hopes the option of having the last name “Report” is one of the excellent features.

The Report Post:

SLums Feedback on Post:

LastNames.JPG

Are they going to create a new viewer for this as logically, I'd suspect so.  A viewer with two spaces on the bottom to add in a last name?  I ask because I am on a early version of V3 that has the IM's at the bottom.  If this add a last name viewer has IM's on the top right (which I cannot see without craning and hurting my neck), I won't be able to get a last name then.  And also, FS said it was DONE, so is FS going to add a space to add a last name or wha?

Bree Giffen wrote:

That is amazing news!  I think a part of bringing back last names is to fix all the 'resident' last names. Also, people who had 'resident' also ended up choosing odd first names so maybe they have to change those too. I still like display names though, so I hope we can keep that too.

i forget where it was said first about last names coming back..but they were saying that yes display names would be staying also..

this is how it should have been from the start..just add the display names and still let people get a last name..

Rodvik in my opinion is fixing all the bleh that M cast upon us hehehehe

i really do love our new CEO..he gets us i think..and thats what we really needed..

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• First name = Mandatory entry
  • Last name = Optional entry. If not specified, you get a single-name login and the legacy "Resident" surname. This is a free-entry field, just like the first name.
  • No unicode or strange characters in either field.
  • Whatever you enter is compared to existing registered names for uniqueness. firstname.lastname if both specified, or what's in the firstname field only if they opt for no surname.

Single name example: RodsTheMan as first name, no last name specified = Checked against "rodstheman" for conflicts, shows in-world on legacy systems and scripts as "RodsTheMan Resident".

Two-name example: Ceera Saito = Checked against "ceera.saito" for conflicts, and does NOT matter that "Saito" was once a surname choice in the original naming system.

The latter would be excellent for me, because I could finally get an alt that has the same Surname as my Partner of 6 years.

Doesn't offer a solution for the flood of people stuck with "Resident" as a surname in legacy systems and scripts, but as V2/3 style viewers become the norm, the visibility of "Resident" will decrease.

As I understand it, the barrier to name changes is that they did some really STUPID coding initially, and used the exact "first name" concatenated with "surname" as the string that all ID checks are coded to examine. The concept of UUID codes came later, and the UUID is NOT what any of their databases are keyed on or coded to use. So a change in the name, even if the UUID remains the same, is an incredible problem.

To fix it, they would have to change every instance where identity is checked, and they would also have to re-index the entire avatar databses so UUID was a primary key. (The latter may already be the case, I don't know.) They don't even know themselves exactly where in the code all those embedded ID checks are located, and most of the original coders for the code that does that are long gone.

Great news

The original implementation of display names without last names was just done so poorly.

So many folks did not understand the ramification of their choice of name until after they settled in to the Grid.

I would postulate that last names caused folks to ponder a little more their choice of first name.

I know we still see names like "PleaseF*ckMe I'mYourBimbo" (whatever get's their jolly's off I guess...it is their choice), but overall I think we will see a bit more intelligence used by folks in choosing their name.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I know we still see names like "PleaseF*ckMe I'mYourBimbo" (whatever get's their jolly's off I guess...it is their choice), but overall I think we will see a bit more intelligence used by folks in choosing their name.

A lot of times now, the people who want an intelligent choice can't make one. Its simply not there for them. With last names, the only people making the foolish choices will be the ones who -wanted- to make that choice. :)

Liisa Runo wrote:

Here is one example of stuff what will be broken when someone changes name:
changed(integer change){ if (change & CHANGED_OWNER){   ownername = llKey2Name(llGetOwner()); }}

Personally im not too worried about my stuff, i love to do everything my self, so i can adapt to what ever change. And i dont really mind if i need to re-buy some stuff that maybe go broken.

Not trying to argue here, but i have heard that our database have UUID, first name as a string, and integer for the last name. Servers, viewers and databases can be changed to do almost anything. But user created content is something that LL cannot change.

Just have the function return a pointer to an object, the owner, referenced in the database by UUID - and pull out the name / display name variable of that object.

We have no need to know what goes on inside the function, merely what variables to put in and what string it returns. They can use any means desired to alter what the string is composed of.

Fixing the above would be so trivial that I could probably do it, without knowing the coding language in question - its just a logic issue (I've fixed issues like this many times at various jobs in languages I didn't know... when you work in web production, you often find yourself doing half of IT's job and half of Marketing's job in addition to whatever's on your own job description). I'd look at the code, and paste in something with a similar structure but based on a different internal to the object variable.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The original implementation of display names without last names was just done so poorly.

That is an understatement, to be sure.  I have to wonder WTH the past management was thinking in regards to this and other policies.  I have absolutely no corporate experience at all, but could see the fail of this :(

P.S.  I also think I can run my country (USA) better :matte-motes-silly:

Mayalily wrote:

Are they going to create a new viewer for this as logically, I'd suspect so.  A viewer with two spaces on the bottom to add in a last name?  I ask because I am on a early version of V3 that has the IM's at the bottom.  If this add a last name viewer has IM's on the top right (which I cannot see without craning and hurting my neck), I won't be able to get a last name then.  And also, FS said it was DONE, so is FS going to add a space to add a last name or wha?

There's no reason IMs need to be in one corner or another. V3 lets you drag em all around - because again, nothing really requires something like to be in a certain spot other than what would be bad design.

Also v2 had a single field to type in both first and last name for about a year before they even announced display names.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.